The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does anyone REALLY wake up excited in the morning?

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Using drugs doesn't sound like a solution to me.

Depending on the day and energy levels I wake up between 5:30-7.

I checked my magnesium levels for that reason last year. They were in the healthy range.

I'd categorize you as an abnormally happy guy. That's purely based on your online persona so I may be wrong but that's the perception I have of you.

I can probably count maybe a handful of "I can spring up" in the last few years. I still get up and go do my workout but the first 30 minutes or so while I get ready are usually low energy.

Honestly, you just sound seriously unmotivated. Bored, lazy, depressed, cynical - pick your own synonym.

What do you do for fun? Y'know, shit that pumps you up and doesn't have to be measured and monetized?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
I went years without good sleep. Still functioned but was tired a lot.

I tried sleeping pills but they were addictive and would lose their effectiveness over time. Plus I don't like to take pills.

I tried Marijuana and it worked great. Dropped it for a while without any withdrawn symptoms but didn't sleep well. Picked it up again and I sleep well every night.

I already knew you would not be interested so my answer was mainly "tongue in cheek". :)

Now I'm going to come play your course and saddle you with my 25+ handicap.

Good news is that I'm entertaining, prefer to walk over carting and am perfectly fine with picking up the ball.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Now I'm going to come play your course and saddle you with my 25+ handicap.

Good news is that I'm entertaining, prefer to walk over carting and am perfectly fine with picking up the ball.
I am having neck issues right now and can't play. Definitely prefer walking except on the heat of the summer. Don't care what handicap someone has as long as they are good people.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Does anyone honestly wake up excited in the morning?

If so, what do you do?

I've always felt that this whole "create the life you can't wait to wake up to" is bullshit propagated by self-help gurus and maybe only lived by abnormally happy people who have some kind of a genetic make-up to feel like that most of the time.
My mood generally gets better in late afternoon and early evening. When I just wake up I still feel the drowsiness at least for the first or second hour.

I just think relying on mood or feeling good is an extremely unreliable source of motivation for taking action.

Most people work because they have to, mostly as a result of being in that circumstance willingly or unwillingly. It is about how you create the forcefulness.

My take is that if I cannot even force yourself, like listening to my own command and instruction, that probably be a big confidence or ego destroyer, because on how earth am I going to convince myself to be able achieve anything in the future, for instance, leading others to do what I told them to do?

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What do you do for fun? Y'know, shit that pumps you up and doesn't have to be measured and monetized?

Mostly a few sports and spending time in nature. I've been doing way more of the latter (the former is a bit complicated due to prolonged recovery from COVID) and it's been helping. I even recently bought binoculars like an old dude just to be able to observe wildlife better. Yesterday I also checked out a piece of land for sale for a potential vacation house/Airbnb getaway rental by nature but it had some issues that wouldn't make it a good investment (both personally and for Airbnb).

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

If so, what do you do?

I've always felt that this whole "create the life you can't wait to wake up to" is bullshit propagated by self-help gurus and maybe only lived by abnormally happy people who have some kind of a genetic make-up to feel like that most of the time.
The unspoken “secret”, but I think a lot people know anyway, is that self help industry markets through shifting the blame away from the individual.

Your weight gained, because you were fed with bad science, here is the good science on nutrition.

You didn’t have motivation to do work, and work is supposed to be fun and go with flow, here is the new ritual.

Basically they provide real incremental technological value in the advice to build your life, and sell you the good feeling that once you have the recipe things will be much easier, and how you were a victim of bad advice and bad science.

Then I think until mid 2010 decade there is a backslash and it was the guru that preach about hustling everyday that took all the attention. Guru Gary V claimed to be working hours that are near his biological limit for decades.

I heard broadcast that typical silicon valley entrepreneur lived a typical life of 3-4 hours sleep per day with aid of “performance enhance substance”.

Then for most people who are not into self help or hustle culture, most are creatures that respond well to external pressure.

Most men become hustlers when they reach mid 30s or later, with car payment, mortgage payment, and kids bill. Mathematically your employment and home affairs (changing diapers) take away all your waking hours.

The lesson for me through these common sense observation is that
1) You do not need to feel good to be doing work. And that is obviously not the case.
2)most people respond better towards external pressure rather than internal drives. So focus on the pressure to be productive for the next 30min/1hr/day rather than the elusive “internal drive”.
3) My personal narrative for the younger generation is that you don’t really have a choice. If you don’t hustle earlier and plan for greater and faster financial success, life will grind you into hustling mode anyway for growing liabilities with minimal financial upside, at later stage of your life. It is literal a preventive warfare that you cannot afford to lose.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
@MTF I can understand both sides in here. Those who do wake up excited a lot of the times, and those who don‘t, like you.

I‘ve been to both sides. I had long times in my life where a good mood was my default. And it didn‘t matter how much money I had. But I also had a lot of times when I felt numb most of the day.

What I found for myself to be the reason, is my sense of self-worth. Even more, by what I measure my own worth.

An example. I was overweight for most of my life and for a long time I only felt valuable when I was either actively engaged in the process of losing weight, or while at a weight I liked. If one of these two was intact I usually felt pretty good about myself. Be it in the morning or any other time of the day.

But when I over ate for a few days or gained weight, I felt like I was not being worth to exist. Like I was nothing. And I would feel accordingly.

Weight loss is not the only thing. There are more for me, but this is probably a relatable topic for many.

I needed to learn, that I have an inherent value. Regardless of outside achievement. That outside stuff can be great. But it won‘t fill an emptiness left by a lack of self-worth. That must come from inside and serve like a fundament on which joy and happiness can land on.

So, let me ask you this: do you feel like you, the inner you, have value? No matter what you achieve or do, are you worth being loved and seen as good?

Like @Kak said, I believe you do. But I‘m not sure you yourself do. And that‘s the most important person to do.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
So, let me ask you this: do you feel like you, the inner you, have value? No matter what you achieve or do, are you worth being loved and seen as good?

No. I've always had low self-esteem and I don't consider myself valuable unless I can provide something of substance to others. I don't see myself as worthy of being loved and being good just for existing.

I also have this regarding my weight as you mentioned in your case. For many years I counted calories, weighed every single thing I ate, and weighed myself daily, even to the point of taking my bathroom scales with me on trips to keep consistent data. I eventually developed an eating disorder (binge eating) I still can't get rid of.

I stopped counting calories hoping it would end my obsession with food and weight loss but that's not the case. I can eat to the point of feeling sick.

I now weigh much more than before even though I work out much more (I'm not fat for my height but I see myself as fat just because I was much lighter before) and that also affects my self-esteem. My self-talk is definitely shitty and that affects how I think in general.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Mostly a few sports and spending time in nature. I've been doing way more of the latter (the former is a bit complicated due to prolonged recovery from COVID) and it's been helping. I even recently bought binoculars like an old dude just to be able to observe wildlife better. Yesterday I also checked out a piece of land for sale for a potential vacation house/Airbnb getaway rental by nature but it had some issues that wouldn't make it a good investment (both personally and for Airbnb).

Hmmm....

Y'know, I've met a few hundred self-made wealthy people over the years. Mostly tech founders, angel investors and real estate investors. Lots of small business owners, but they rarely become financially independent. Wrong mindset. A hefty chunk of the people with real money (the "I don't have to work another day and can do anything I want" kind) went through one or more periods of their life afterwards similar to what you're describing. They were just kind of adrift without any real purpose.

That's when I started hearing more about things like seller remorse, life purpose, gratitude, service, philanthropy, etc. People who are successful early in life are typically incapable of sitting around doing nothing for long periods. It's the reason they were able to become successful in the first place. That energy has to go into something meaningful to them.

I spent about three years semi-retired, doing not so much and largely bored out of my mind. There's only so many times you can walk the dogs, only so many books you can possibly read, only so many shows you can watch. The next five decades were starting to seem more than a little depressing. I'd catch myself thinking "Wow, I spent twenty plus years to get here and that's it?!? This is rest of my life?!?" It was hardly the Zen lifestyle I'd been aiming for.

Zero gratitude. Zero helping anyone outside the family. Little interaction with other people. Nada.

One morning, I woke up and just couldn't take it anymore and decided to fix it. That took awhile since I really didn't understand the underlying causes, but treated it like everything else in my life. A bunch of problems that could be fixed with research and effort. We spent three months traveling around New Zealand. That was a great start and a huge amount of fun and I learned how to paraglide, but getting home afterwards made things even more depressing since I didn't want to live there anymore. The problem was I didn't know exactly where I did want to live either.

So I just kept doing new things. I learned to play piano. I found a Master Mind buddy. I learned about different online business models. We kept traveling and taking extended trips around the US for three years. All of that was *way* more fun and we decided to keep doing it. Rented our home and spent the past 18 months living in different parts of the country doing a bunch of different things in each area. Basically just exploring the world again. I decided to sell my software company. We found our new favorite place to live for the next few years, started a business in an industry I know nothing about and learned how to be sincerely thankful for everything we have.

It was really difficult at first and then became really easy. It's not like I'd completely been brain wiped and forgotten everything I used to enjoy doing. I'd just stopped doing new things, learning and growing. Being uncomfortable is a critical element to forcing change on yourself that usually gets lost with age. There's a great children's book called "Oh, The Places You'll Go" that summarizes it perfectly. I read through it every few years. Regrettably, no one can pull you out of the Waiting Place except you.

Last edited:

Ela

Freelance Web Developer and SEO Expert
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 21, 2022
India
Do you take magnesium?

The quality of my sleep if I take it vs don't take it is pretty crazy. I discovered this by accident as I take magnesium for leg cramps.
I do have these leg cramps every day, it's frustrating. So do you take any natural remedies or supplements?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I do have these leg cramps every day, it's frustrating. So do you take any natural remedies or supplements?
Just go get some magnesium supplements and start taking them! It is very cheap for basic magnesium, and it will literally start making a difference the day you start taking it.

Later down the road start working on it in your diet (dark leafy greens, I put lots of spinach in a fruit smoothie) or take better quality supplements as well.

But really, for now go to any store at all that sells vitamins and get yourself some magnesium! Literally SAME DAY results. I don't even remember the last time I had a leg cramp. I used to even get them during, errrr, private moments with my wife. Nothing is a mood killer as fast as crippling pain leg cramps.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
3) My personal narrative for the younger generation is that you don’t really have a choice. If you don’t hustle earlier and plan for greater and faster financial success, life will grind you into hustling mode anyway for growing liabilities with minimal financial upside, at later stage of your life. It is literal a preventive warfare that you cannot afford to lose.

+1.

You can temporarily struggle and grind young by choice, or you can permanently struggle and grind for a lifetime by necessity.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
A
I am having neck issues right now and can't play. Definitely prefer walking except on the heat of the summer. Don't care what handicap someone has as long as they are good people.
Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that, mate. I thought you'd figured out the neck stuff a couple years back.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hmmm....

Y'know, I've met a few hundred self-made wealthy people over the years. Mostly tech founders, angel investors and real estate investors. Lots of small business owners, but they rarely become financially independent. Wrong mindset. A hefty chunk of the people with real money (the "I don't have to work another day and can do anything I want" kind) went through one or periods of their life afterwards similar to what you're describing. They were just kind of adrift without any real purpose.

That's when I started hearing more about things like seller remorse, life purpose, gratitude, service, philanthropy, etc. People who are successful early in life are typically incapable of sitting around doing nothing for long periods. It's the reason they were able to become successful in the first place. That energy has to go into something meaningful to them.

I spent about three years semi-retired, doing not so much and largely bored out of my mind. There's only so many times you can walk the dogs, only so many books you can possibly read, only so many shows you can watch. The next five decades were starting to seem more than a little depressing. I'd catch myself thinking "Wow, I spent twenty plus years to get here and that's it?!? This is rest of my life?!?" It was hardly the Zen lifestyle I'd been aiming for.

Zero gratitude. Zero helping anyone outside the family. Little interaction with other people. Nada.

One morning, I woke up and just couldn't take it anymore and decided to fix it. That took awhile since I really didn't understand the underlying causes, but treated it like everything else in my life. A bunch of problems that could be fixed with research and effort. We spent three months traveling around New Zealand. That was a great start and a huge amount of fun and I learned how to paraglide, but getting home afterwards made things even more depressing since I didn't want to live there anymore. The problem was I didn't know exactly where I did want to live either.

So I just kept doing new things. I learned to play piano. I found a Master Mind buddy. I learned about different online business models. We kept traveling and taking extended trips around the US for three years. All of that was *way* more fun and we decided to keep doing it. Rented our home and spent the past 18 months living in different parts of the country doing a bunch of different things in each area. Basically just exploring the world again. I decided to sell my software company. We found our new favorite place to live for the next few years, started a business in an industry I know nothing about and learned how to be sincerely thankful for everything we have.

It was really difficult at first and then became really easy. It's not like I'd completely been brain wiped and forgotten everything I used to enjoy doing. I'd just stopped doing new things, learning and growing. Being uncomfortable is a critical element to forcing change on yourself that usually gets lost with age. There's a great children's book called "Oh, The Places You'll Go" that summarizes it perfectly. I read through it every few years. Regrettably, no one can pull you out of the Waiting Place except you.
Great post. Food for thought - Thank you!

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
A

Ah, I'm really sorry to hear that, mate. I thought you'd figured out the neck stuff a couple years back.
That's correct. I learned it was the problem. It still goes out of place when I do certain things. Golf swing is one of them. :)

Feliponius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 31, 2022
The unspoken “secret”, but I think a lot people know anyway, is that self help industry markets through shifting the blame away from the individual.

Your weight gained, because you were fed with bad science, here is the good science on nutrition.

You didn’t have motivation to do work, and work is supposed to be fun and go with flow, here is the new ritual.

Basically they provide real incremental technological value in the advice to build your life, and sell you the good feeling that once you have the recipe things will be much easier, and how you were a victim of bad advice and bad science.

Then I think until mid 2010 decade there is a backslash and it was the guru that preach about hustling everyday that took all the attention. Guru Gary V claimed to be working hours that are near his biological limit for decades.

I heard broadcast that typical silicon valley entrepreneur lived a typical life of 3-4 hours sleep per day with aid of “performance enhance substance”.

Then for most people who are not into self help or hustle culture, most are creatures that respond well to external pressure.

Most men become hustlers when they reach mid 30s or later, with car payment, mortgage payment, and kids bill. Mathematically your employment and home affairs (changing diapers) take away all your waking hours.

The lesson for me through these common sense observation is that
1) You do not need to feel good to be doing work. And that is obviously not the case.
2)most people respond better towards external pressure rather than internal drives. So focus on the pressure to be productive for the next 30min/1hr/day rather than the elusive “internal drive”.
Exactly. Either do it young or pay for it when you're older and it's SO much harder to do it.

Nothing is given to you. Nothing is easy.

And for those that cannot relate to the above statement, you're the anomaly and blessed beyond measure.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Exactly. Either do it young or pay for it when you're older and it's SO much harder to do it.

Nothing is given to you. Nothing is easy.

And for those that cannot relate to the above statement, you're the anomaly and blessed beyond measure.
I recommend fear as a good source of motivation.

Working on two jobs to pay bills. Semi-recovering from cancer but still working to better cope with medical expense. Retrenched from a senior executive role in corporate company while kids are still studying in expensive private school.

There are very real and typical life crisis that are happening right now to ordinary people.

Even if you don’t have super strong intrinsic motivation to work like Gary V, seeing what is going to happen to you years later should give you some panic to get the things started and going.

I know a 60 year old man with pension, dividend and recurring passive income well in the range of 7-8k per month. You would assume he is comfortable retired, until he tells you has has to take care of two parents age 90 over and that take away two thirds of his income.

Hence he is still working part time today.

Last edited:

Feliponius

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 31, 2022
I recommend fear as a good source of motivation.
It's unfortunate how effective fear is at keeping us moving. We all wish we could be motivated by the reward. But it's rare that the prize is enough to compel us forward. It's usually the oncoming tide of imminent destruction on our heels lol

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It's unfortunate how effective fear is at keeping us moving. We all wish we could be motivated by the reward. But it's rare that the prize is enough to compel us forward. It's usually the oncoming tide of imminent destruction on our heels lol
Most people are more motivated by fear than reward. But also the fear is very real. It is not like we are just making this up just to trick ourselves to be more productive.

I also believe that financial stress is one of the biggest source of health risk. A random 50 year old dude who is lean and fit and jog everyday day dies of heart attack. No family history of heart attack and the doctor does not know why. Only piece of clue is that he lost his good paying job 6 month earlier. His wife is not working and they have quite expensive bills to pay.

These are things happening right now. Talk to people older than you. Don’t be clouded by the life experience of peers in the same age group.

It is like a time machine that you can see what will happen if you don’t prepare in advance.

Don’t assume also that not having kids will be problem free. The 60 year old man I know who sits on 7-8k of retirement income per month has been single throughout his life. And now his two parents in the 90s will take away two thirds of that income.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
No. I've always had low self-esteem and I don't consider myself valuable unless I can provide something of substance to others. I don't see myself as worthy of being loved and being good just for existing.

I also have this regarding my weight as you mentioned in your case. For many years I counted calories, weighed every single thing I ate, and weighed myself daily, even to the point of taking my bathroom scales with me on trips to keep consistent data. I eventually developed an eating disorder (binge eating) I still can't get rid of.

I stopped counting calories hoping it would end my obsession with food and weight loss but that's not the case. I can eat to the point of feeling sick.

I now weigh much more than before even though I work out much more (I'm not fat for my height but I see myself as fat just because I was much lighter before) and that also affects my self-esteem. My self-talk is definitely shitty and that affects how I think in general.
Probably until I was 30 or so I had very low self esteem, and hardly realized it. But the voice in my head was absolutely toxic... I would never think that way now. The book that I credit with making me realize that, and figure out how to change it, was Self Esteem by McKay and Fanning: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1626253935/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Might not be the thing for everyone, but it sure helped me. It's one of a few books (MJ's included) that I've bought many copies of so that I can give them to people. (The people rarely read them, but that's Ok... they have the chance to read them).

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
That's correct. I learned it was the problem. It still goes out of place when I do certain things. Golf swing is one of them. :)

In a couple of weeks, I'm heading to what feels like the 432nd appointment over nine years for my back injury.

Hope springs eternal. At the moment, I'm banking on nanobots and hypnotherapy as viable options.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
In a couple of weeks, I'm heading to what feels like the 432nd appointment over nine years for my back injury.

Hope springs eternal. At the moment, I'm banking on nanobots and hypnotherapy as viable options.
That sucks big time. Back problems are no joke!

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

If so, what do you do?

Mostly depends on the quality of Your sleep.

By the way.. Quality does dot mean quantity...

How many times have You slept 9 hours waking uo like you've been ran over by a 50 ft long truck?

Like anything in life, consistency is key.

I
t is better to waking up at the same hour everyday rather than trying to catch up the missed sleep on the weekends, it will only harm you mind.

Doing a to do list is very important too.

In this way you're going to wake up everyday already knowing what you're tasks are.

There's a To Do List made by MJ De Marco himself, You can find it on this forum.

Finally, there's the phisical activity part.

Really, doing physical activity in the morning has been a game changer for me.

The Endorphin rush You have after a morning cardio session is just unpriceable.

I would start with 10 minutes of Yoga to losen up the main joints in the Hips and then i would start a circuit, then finish with some Shadowboxing.

It's not a harsh workout, just something to tell my body to wake up!

Let me know if this tips are helpful!

we'll see eachother on the forum ,

Davide

Dionysos

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 1, 2020
Netherlands
Sounds to me like it might be a dopamine issue..

I can kinda see what you mean as I've experienced this from time to time.

There's a podcast from Andrew Huberman titled 'Controlling Your Dopamine For Motivation, Focus & Satisfaction | Huberman Lab'

He gives some great, very simple, tips which have helped me be way more motivated/happy in a sustained way. Like utilizing your circadian rhythm, phone usage and cold showers.

Check it out if you're interested, definitely recommend it!

Haven't read the whole thread through so sorry if someone mentioned it before..

Last edited:

clanis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 13, 2020
Italy

If so, what do you do?

Have you ever practiced Ikigai, the Japanese discipline that aims to give a person a purpose, a reason for living?
Sometimes this concept is seen just as "finding a reason to wake up in the morning" and it might be for you.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Sounds to me like it might be a dopamine issue..

I can kinda see what you mean as I've experienced this from time to time.

There's a podcast from Andrew Huberman titled 'Controlling Your Dopamine For Motivation, Focus & Satisfaction | Huberman Lab'

He gives some great, very simple, tips which have helped me be way more motivated/happy in a sustained way. Like utilizing your circadian rhythm, phone usage and cold showers.

Check it out if you're interested, definitely recommend it!

Haven't read the whole thread through so sorry if someone mentioned it before..

No worries. I heard about all this stuff and follow most of it.

Have you ever practiced Ikigai, the Japanese discipline that aims to give a person a purpose, a reason for living?
Sometimes this concept is seen just as "finding a reason to wake up in the morning" and it might be for you.

I've explored this concept as well. I think that for many people their ikigai is their family and friends. If you don't have a large family and/or many friends, it may take more time to figure out that purpose.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022

It seems like every few years I hear about another Japanese discipline that would actually be helpful for life fulfillment.

Zen Buddhism, Keiretsu, Kaizen, Kanban, Kendo, Dai-ichi, Bonsai, Chado. And now Ikigai. I was born in the right country to become wealthy and born in the wrong country to learn about living a meaningful life. Someone should print a book and hand this stuff out at birth to every non-Japanese foreigner.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA

If so, what do you do?

No. To maintain daily focus and high levels of execution, a framework needs to be established beforehand and treated as as an unbreakable rule.

Establish your rules, plan your week beforehand, review the following day before going to sleep and execute the plan the following day. Leave no room for sentiment.

Many threads on planning within the forum and all over the place; the difficult part is choosing a planning/action system that works for you and sticking with it. Best way I found to choose one (after MANY years of trials, errors and adjustments) was taking the Kolbe A test and selecting one that works with my execution style.

In my case, I did @MJ DeMarco's 10/5/1 plan, break down the year into ~four 12week cycles with 3 big intentions (OKRs) and plan my weeks and days in advanced via reverse engineering. I use Airtable and Google calendar to keep myself on track. Don't even think of how I feel when I wake up, I just know that there's things needed to get done.

micky

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 24, 2022
No. To maintain daily focus and high levels of execution, a framework needs to be established beforehand and treated as as an unbreakable rule.

Establish your rules, plan your week beforehand, review the following day before going to sleep and execute the plan the following day. Leave no room for sentiment.

Many threads on planning within the forum and all over the place; the difficult part is choosing a planning/action system that works for you and sticking with it. Best way I found to choose one (after MANY years of trials, errors and adjustments) was taking the Kolbe A test and selecting one that works with my execution style.

In my case, I did @MJ DeMarco's 10/5/1 plan, break down the year into ~four 12week cycles with 3 big intentions (OKRs) and plan my weeks and days in advanced via reverse engineering. I use Airtable and Google calendar to keep myself on track. Don't even think of how I feel when I wake up, I just know that there's things needed to get done.
You get coupon

clanis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 13, 2020
Italy
It seems like every few years I hear about another Japanese discipline that would actually be helpful for life fulfillment.

Zen Buddhism, Keiretsu, Kaizen, Kanban, Kendo, Dai-ichi, Bonsai, Chado. And now Ikigai. I was born in the right country to become wealthy and born in the wrong country to learn about living a meaningful life. Someone should print a book and hand this stuff out at birth to every non-Japanese foreigner.

Well, why not, if it works?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.