The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does Anyone Else Feel This Way? (Scammers and Wasting Time)

Idea threads

CalumMc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 18, 2022
For context, I've been on self-improvement for about a year and a half.

I've made rapid progress physically and mentally and I generally feel great.

I am a young adult and I've been trying to learn how to generate an income and have success in the entrepreneurial field.

But I keep running into this wall of believing in what Youtubers like Dan Koe and Hamza, people who sell courses on this stuff (some may call them scammers), then having doubts and no success.

I don't know what information to believe does anyone else get that?

I feel like I'm in a constant spiral of confusion; "Oh do Dropshipping, Nevermind it's dead" "Do SMMA, nevermind it's dead" "Create a personal brand, Nevermind its a waste of time"

It's like I'm one step behind of everybody capitalising on these oppourtunities on the internet and I'm now their customer, being sold snake oil and useless advice.

Anyone else feel it's like the blind leading the blind, people like Dan Koe are successful of off selling courses which teach people how too... sell courses...

It feels like one big ponzi scheme...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Jan 18, 2022

I am a young adult and I've been trying to learn how to generate an income and have success in the entrepreneurial field.

But I keep running into this wall of believing in what Youtubers like Dan Koe and Hamza, people who sell courses on this stuff (some may call them scammers), then having doubts and no success.

I feel like I'm in a constant spiral of confusion; "Oh do Dropshipping, Nevermind it's dead" "Do SMMA, nevermind it's dead" "Create a personal brand, Nevermind its a waste of time"

It's like I'm one step behind of everybody capitalising on these oppourtunities on the internet and I'm now their customer, being sold snake oil and useless advice.

Anyone else feel it's like the blind leading the blind, people like Dan Koe are successful of off selling courses which teach people how too... sell courses...

I get the vibe you're stuck in the "I need an idea" phase, which is what is ultimately causing you to embrace the "shiny object" syndrome. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, although it's worth pointing out that, if you do reinvent the wheel, you'll probably be an overnight trillionaire.

I get it. You're afraid of putting time into something only to realize you're "too late." Let me quite frank with you: unless you're just now discovering paper checks, you aren't behind. What you're doing right now with the idea jumping is how you are actually wasting time.

I know it because I did the same thing. Put yourself in front of people, find out what their problems are, and compare their "list of problems" with your current skillset. Can you help? Can you learn something within a few days to help? A week?

For instance, the concept of web design has been around since I was ~5 (I'm now 34). MJ did it when he was a young 20 something, and here I am, XX amount of years later, making money off that same concept. I was terrified to get into web design. I thought it was a waste of time because, let's be real: just scan the forum and you'll see there are 10,000,000,000 people in web design and guess what? Most of them are better at it than I am, are harder workers than I am, am smarter than I am, etc. and yet I make a killing.

Your problem isn't that you "lack the perfect idea." Your problem is that you're terrified of putting yourself out there. And you should be - it DOES require thick skin. But I can promise you that it does, in fact, get easier with time (it DEFINITELY gets easier as your confidence builds).

So, here's a small list of things to take into consideration, based on where you're currently at:

* Do you have a network? Connections? If not, start building it. If you do, keep building it. You are your own personal brand, so make sure you know how to sell yourself. (not on a corner tho - the time vs money/hr isn't worth it)
* Are you putting yourself in front of people?
* Are you genuinely listening to what they're saying, to ensure you're isolating their pain points?
* What is your current skillset?
* What are your current interests? (e.g. if you enjoy talking to people, sales may be a good path for you, etc.)
(Speaking of: if you can get REALLY GOOD at sales, you will never go hungry. Good sales people are the future)
* Is there anything specific you're interested in learning, that you can potentially apply to a business?

Ultimately, the best way to start immediately is via stop hesitating and picking a path. Because even if you fail, you're learning and evolving. You aren't evolving if you repeatedly do the same shit.

Good luck!

Tau Ceti

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
330%
Sep 15, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi there,

I think there is a fundamental issue with you analysis. None of the things that you mentioned are effectively dead. In fact if you look at some threads on this forum, you will see that some people are successful at running SMMA's or drop-shipping.

The issue is that most people believe that it is easy to find clients and customers when it actually is not.
If you just randomly resell some cheap goods from aliexpress to customers in the western world, then you probably won't have much success.

But, if you select your products carefully, do market research and in the end provide value, then you might see some success.

The point is that there is always going to be competition in each and every type of business. Stop chasing the money, and start providing value to your customers.

At least that is how I see it.

Good luck.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Go through the first row of links in my signature, especially "What if you already know enough?".

wyattnorton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 15, 2019
Northern IL & Southeastern WI

It all works. Just start moving.

The reason an SMMA, ecommerce, dropshipping, window washing, whatever the F*ck business works is because of the entrepreneur.

You can make money shoveling shit and build a business around that.

IT ALL WORKS

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
You can make money shoveling shit and build a business around that.
There's at least three or four successful companies in my city that are based around doing literally this. Dog poo cleanup. Pretty tough to find an excuse after realizing that not only can that work, but it can support several different ones in competition.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

Why do you believe they are scammers?

I can tell that your problem is that you want to make money without spending a single penny first. I had to spend about 100€ for things that then allowed me to make 600 back this month.

What your looking for (and are disappointed that you don't get from influencers) is a easy way to make money that doesn't require money or time to start.

If you want to do something then look at my thread "How I make the hourly rate of a well off adult at age 18".
It's free and tells you literally every step it takes to make some money and start a real business.

Lastly, don't call everyone who sells something a scammer. Especially hamza is super open about his motives and doesn't work with a sales team or back end funnel. Ask yourself WHY you are mad that people are selling courses you can't afford.

CalumMc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 18, 2022
I get the vibe you're stuck in the "I need an idea" phase, which is what is ultimately causing you to embrace the "shiny object" syndrome. You don't need to reinvent the wheel, although it's worth pointing out that, if you do reinvent the wheel, you'll probably be an overnight trillionaire.

I get it. You're afraid of putting time into something only to realize you're "too late." Let me quite frank with you: unless you're just now discovering paper checks, you aren't behind. What you're doing right now with the idea jumping is how you are actually wasting time.

I know it because I did the same thing. Put yourself in front of people, find out what their problems are, and compare their "list of problems" with your current skillset. Can you help? Can you learn something within a few days to help? A week?

For instance, the concept of web design has been around since I was ~5 (I'm now 34). MJ did it when he was a young 20 something, and here I am, XX amount of years later, making money off that same concept. I was terrified to get into web design. I thought it was a waste of time because, let's be real: just scan the forum and you'll see there are 10,000,000,000 people in web design and guess what? Most of them are better at it than I am, are harder workers than I am, am smarter than I am, etc. and yet I make a killing.

Your problem isn't that you "lack the perfect idea." Your problem is that you're terrified of putting yourself out there. And you should be - it DOES require thick skin. But I can promise you that it does, in fact, get easier with time (it DEFINITELY gets easier as your confidence builds).

So, here's a small list of things to take into consideration, based on where you're currently at:

* Do you have a network? Connections? If not, start building it. If you do, keep building it. You are your own personal brand, so make sure you know how to sell yourself. (not on a corner tho - the time vs money/hr isn't worth it)
* Are you putting yourself in front of people?
* Are you genuinely listening to what they're saying, to ensure you're isolating their pain points?
* What is your current skillset?
* What are your current interests? (e.g. if you enjoy talking to people, sales may be a good path for you, etc.)
(Speaking of: if you can get REALLY GOOD at sales, you will never go hungry. Good sales people are the future)
* Is there anything specific you're interested in learning, that you can potentially apply to a business?

Ultimately, the best way to start immediately is via stop hesitating and picking a path. Because even if you fail, you're learning and evolving. You aren't evolving if you repeatedly do the same shit.

Good luck!
Hey thanks for the reply.

You are absolutely right I do suffer from analysis paralysis, and the most frustrating thing is I know what I'm doing and still do it!

I will break that cycle.

For things I should consider:

- You are right I have no network (I have not so many friends), other than here, could you recommend some online or irl spaces that self improvement or entrepreneurial people meet, in your experience?

- My skillset is very shallow, though I believe over the past 1.5yrs I have developed a great ability to learn, and recently I have been learning programming to try and get a job as a Software Engineer, although the thought spurred on me that I may be doing all this work just to end up in another '9-5' job just with a higher salary. I realised what I value was my freedom most of all (Ideally of being an entrepreneur or self-employed) and that's what led to me flooding my thoughts out on this forum.

I feel like I have the focus and the hunger to succeed and I just wanted to find something to sink my teeth into, you have brought clarity to that process.

Thank you once again for your advice.

CalumMc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 18, 2022
Hi there,

I think there is a fundamental issue with you analysis. None of the things that you mentioned are effectively dead. In fact if you look at some threads on this forum, you will see that some people are successful at running SMMA's or drop-shipping.

The issue is that most people believe that it is easy to find clients and customers when it actually is not.
If you just randomly resell some cheap goods from aliexpress to customers in the western world, then you probably won't have much success.

But, if you select your products carefully, do market research and in the end provide value, then you might see some success.

The point is that there is always going to be competition in each and every type of business. Stop chasing the money, and start providing value to your customers.

At least that is how I see it.

Good luck.
You are absolutely right.

I wrote this post in 5 minutes just before heading out to work and I was in a stressed mood.

Now I have a clearer head I admit you're right and nothing is wrong with the model but with the business owner (me).

Thank you.

CalumMc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Oct 18, 2022
Stop watching the guru videos and start hanging around the forum more / read the books if you haven't yet.
You're right I see how having too much input into your head can overload your mind and make ideas even more confusing.

I have read some books on business, others on self-improvement and spirituality:

- Millionaire Fastlane (I know I should have the tag)
- 4 HR WW
- 10 Day MBA
- The Lean Startup
- How to Win Friends...

Any others you may recommend?

Thank you btw.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Okay, So my advice would be to cut back on the self improvement stuff.

What I mean by that: Stop sitting on instagram and YouTube for hours watching "self improvement" stuff.

In my own experience, It's a rabbit hole by design. It's made to get you sucked in. The algorithm keeps serving you more and more similar content, And your confirmation bias steps in.

Next thing you know, SMMA, Dropshipping, And Crypto are the only ways to make money in your little world.

It's made to be confusing on purpose. It's meant to keep you hooked and confused, So you buy the course and "Gain some clarity". Besides, Everyone has different opinions, So some people may say marketing agencies suck, while others will say it's the best.

If you're able to consume hours of content every day, You need to be busier. Whether it's with your job, or business, or both.

Next, After you reduce that content consumption, Spend more time here at the forum.

You are able to interact with people here who have achieved real success. You can't interact with your favorite guru on YouTube unless you fork out a bunch of money.

Instead of checking social media, Check the forum. It will become a habit, and it way more productive that instagram, TikTok and YouTube (in most cases)

Dr Doomain

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 16, 2023
Find one thing that you are really interested in and that could be made into a business, and focus only on that for at least 1 year. Build out the skillset, become an expert, and things will be much easier. Also, learn to say no to opportunities.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.