The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone else feel massively stupid after learning self development?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Gore66

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 8, 2020
Luck plays a major role in success but you can still make it. Because In the end results are all that matter in this life. Yeah that rich kid got it easy but he still has a Mercedes and you don't. Though when you get it you have the habits built in to get it. If he loses it he's screwed.
Luck plays no major role in success. Its work and dedication you put in. People get "lucky" when they know more about their field, and can execute ideas

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Phoenix Leo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Oct 30, 2020
Sweden
Luck plays no major role in success. Its work and dedication you put in. People get "lucky" when they know more about their field, and can execute ideas

Or, as one of our skiing legends put it:
"I know nothing about luck. Only that the more I train, the more lucky I am." - Ingemar Stenmark

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I keep reading that, but I call BS.

I want to see scientific evidence of that. Can somebody point out links to studies? The only scientific study that I know of is about artists and the role that networking plays in their level of success. Are skills without exceptional networking worth anything? I have not seen any evidence so far. Spare me with anecdotal evidence ... I can counter that with countless examples that disprove the quote.

Same with "So Good They Can't Ignore You" ... the book that makes the strongest case that skills matter. In all the anectdotes the networking moves and relationships seem to make all the difference. I think Smartcuts gets it right ... and it talks about the waves that people can ride and how lucky people were that those waves were around which fit their skillset.

Last edited:

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I keep reading that, but I call BS.

I want to see scientific evidence of that. Can somebody point out links to studies? The only scientific study that I know of is about artists and the role that networking plays in their level of success. Are skills without exceptional networking worth anything? I have not seen any evidence so far. Spare me with anecdotal evidence ... I can counter that with countless examples that disprove the quote.

Same with "So Good They Can't Ignore You" ... the book that makes the strongest case that skills matter. In all the anectdotes the networking moves and relationships seem to make all the difference. I think Smartcuts gets it right ... and it talks about the waves that people can ride and how lucky people were that those waves were around which fit their skillset.
IMO, that's some very good observations there, and I would refine it further:
Skillset+right place+right network+action=huge results.

No skillset? No huge results
No right place? No huge results
No network? No huge results
No action? No results

Being lucky would mean (IMO) a homeless bum with no experience, finding a winning lottery ticket.

Anything that involves a skillset can have a small degree of "luck", but the better you are, the "luckier" you become.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
IMO, that's some very good observations there, and I would refine it further:
Skillset+right place+right network+action=huge results.

No skillset? No huge results
No right place? No huge results
No network? No huge results
No action? No results

Being lucky would mean (IMO) a homeless bum with no experience, finding a winning lottery ticket.

Anything that involves a skillset can have a small degree of "luck", but the better you are, the "luckier" you become.
This is a deep topic that involves work ethic, motivation, gratitude, being raised well. Not as simple as luck or no luck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.