The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do You Have a Sickening Work Ethic?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Arvin Lal, the CEO of the number one fitness supplement company Shredz, has worked for 2 years straight without taking a day of.

He get's up at 10am, works until 7pm, goes home, eats, hits the gym, changes clothes and goes back to work for a second shift, and works until 5 at night, then repets.

In 2 years he has built and amazing multi-million dollar company started in his basement.

He said the only things he had was a belief, and a mad work ethic.

How bad do you want it?

''I might not be the smartest, or the most talented guy, but where I excel is Ridiculous, Sickening work ethic. You know, when the other guy is sleeping, I'm working, While the other guy is eating, I'm working'' - Will Smith

Just a little weekend reminder to you fastlaners and to myself.

Have a great weekend :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I think that it is the single key to success. The obsession.
Sadly, I'm lazy. I'm constantly improving, though.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
I think that it is the single key to success. The obsession.
Sadly, I'm lazy. I'm constantly improving, though.

Yeah I was too.

When I started out the longest I could concentrate on this business stuff was like 1-2 hours.

Slowly it improved and now I can go for 6 hours.

Just scaling up from here slowly but surely.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012

I've seen people miss a layup too... But does that mean I'm not going to work my a$$ off as hard as I can? It's all about a slight edge and giving yourself the best odds (so called luck) to win or get ahead. I would say 8/10 successful people who are self made are hard workers and over achievers.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada

Key word : sustainable
I've seen people miss a layup too... But does that mean I'm not going to work my a$$ off as hard as I can? It's all about a slight edge and giving yourself the best odds (so called luck) to win or get ahead. I would say 8/10 successful people who are self made are hard workers and over achievers.

Of course hard work and focus on goals are key, my point is : dont get burnt, and dont get caught in fire fighting ( that's what employees are for ) as a head of a company, your responsability is to be relaxed and have clear vision ( and when you work 100 hours a week i doubt you could ), and see beyond the immediacy

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Lol no offense but that's exactly why Shredz has done millions and odds are you haven't. Because he found a way to be THAT guy with nothing else but his willpower and vision. He found a way to be sustainable over the course of years working those hours while everyone else made excuses. That's why you're reading about him. If he would have put in half the hours would he be where he is at? It's a possibility but he didn't want to leave any doubt. I can speak from my own experience (not just spewing information) that 100+ hours a week and staying focused is easily attainable. I wouldn't have wanted to do half the hours because I never want to doubt that I gave it my all. My business wasn't completely passive or super fastlane but it gave me a pile of cash and mid 6 figures to dump into other passive projects. In a perfect world we would all never work and have our employees be like ants making us money but when you start with lint in your pocket, with your back in a corner and nothing else you better bet your a$$ I'm working 16 hour days. Period. Of course when you make it and are finally financially free you get to make that choice to keep chugging or lay back. He chose/is choosing to excel even more. That's my kind of guy!

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Maybe your inflated ego is keeping you from seeing my point ?;)
No, i dont make multi millions....yet. Ido however have a track record of succefully managing a profitable business that i built from nothing. My main point ( especially to younger people coming here for advice ) : Have a sense of critical thinking of where you put your efforts and energy and recognize the red flags to when to step back a bit and create space between you and the situations who have to deal with In order to have clarity.

By the way ...there is NO WAY that a sleep deprived , no social, no personal life person would be succefull in the long run.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Haha the good ego comment. Easy card. Where does that comment even resonate?

Shredz generates more than you do-Fact
He works 100+hours a week and you say it cant be done-Fact
He CAN sustain in the long run?-Fact How long is long? 5 years? 10 years?

Speaking from PERSONAL experience- I have done it over and over for months straight 7 days a week 10-18 hours a day. I've even put in 20+ hour days under the lights. A good friend of mine that I met through work and did a job for (we became great friends after) is a mutli millionaire. somewhere around the 15-20M range and he wakes up every morning before the sun comes up and heads to bed after the sun is down. He has been doing it for 30 years. He lives in ND and its basically an anti-social life where you work work work. Thats just his life. He was raised that way and he will be that way until he dies. He has his wife, dogs, business and land. Hes happy. I could go on and on about successful people who still work away every single day. all day. Look up WESCO- Dale sold for something like 700 million to Select energy. Still works every day like a mad man. Did a job for him and his son.......

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Haha the good ego comment. Easy card. Where does that comment even resonate?

Shredz generates more than you do-Fact
He works 100+hours a week and you say it cant be done-Fact
He CAN sustain in the long run?-Fact How long is long? 5 years? 10 years?

Speaking from PERSONAL experience- I have done it over and over for months straight 7 days a week 10-18 hours a day. I've even put in 20+ hour days under the lights. A good friend of mine that I met through work and did a job for (we became great friends after) is a mutli millionaire. somewhere around the 15-20M range and he wakes up every morning before the sun comes up and heads to bed after the sun is down. He has been doing it for 30 years. He lives in ND and its basically an anti-social life where you work work work. Thats just his life. He was raised that way and he will be that way until he dies. He has his wife, dogs, business and land. Hes happy. I could go on and on about successful people who still work away every single day. all day. Look up WESCO- Dale sold for something like 700 million to Select energy. Still works every day like a mad man. Did a job for him and his son.......

Not giving too much details about my personal life but i was a life partner, best friend, and occasional business advisor of a hudge fund co-owner ( a 2.5 B .....yes BIllions hudge fund ) so i can say that i have a behind the scene perspective.......I witnessed the costly errors due to the lack of clarity and being caught too much in the fire of the action( that's what happenes when you have to watch Asian, European and North American Markets with the lack of sleep that comes with it.. ...then too much energy and time goes to damage control. Witnessed as well some health scare ( at 43 ) ....anyway...i thought i would give another perspective and a word of advice.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I haven't worked less than 70 hours a week since I started working.

Oh that's 10 years ago. also 7 days a week.

Sadly it's all for the better of others...getting the #1 ratings in the hotels/cruise ships where I worked/work. Doesn't pay me shit though as hotels exploit their employee's with below-minimum wages.

At the moment I'm running a variable 70-120 hour work week and at the side writing my books, webblogs, building a website, setting up my business etc.
Oh, also running a poker tournament for the crew and teaching fitness classes on the side.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
I think the key is in the video @theag posted. You have to be willing to bust your a$$, but there is a prerequisite, and Elon Musk says it there if you're listening. You have to have an idea that "provides high value to someone else" (that comes up a lot, doesn't it?) and isn't just wishful thinking. Pouring 80-100 hours a week into a bad idea is a bad idea.

But once you have that high value idea, then you have to apply your tenacity and perseverance.

@MJ DeMarco says it in this video

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
I would rephrase my thoughts and say : What are you willing to give up in order to be succefull ? ........ I hope your health and loved ones are not among the answer.
Doesn't life begin at the end of your comfort zone?

I don't think temporarily sacrificing your time or sleep is that big of a deal. Yes... if you live 10 years like that you're killing yourself (or maybe not)... but many big-time entrepreneurs and CEOs wouldn't have gotten where they are now had they not spent all those nights sleeping under their desks and eating ramen noodles.

I would rather see someone kill themselves for a couple of years and succeed... then someone who made sure to stay comfortable and not go anywhere

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Doesn't life begin at the end of your comfort zone?

I don't think temporarily sacrificing your time or sleep is that big of a deal. Yes... if you live 10 years like that you're killing yourself (or maybe not)... but many big-time entrepreneurs and CEOs wouldn't have gotten where they are now had they not spent all those nights sleeping under their desks and eating ramen noodles.

I would rather see someone kill themselves for a couple of years and succeed... then someone who made sure to stay comfortable and not go anywhere

Funny you said that. It hits home and I can laugh at it now. I failed miserably at my first business and spent 6 weeks under my desk over Christmas eating noodles in a cup. Pillows stuffed in my drawers and nobody knew it. I still managed to give the poor cleaners cans of food and noodles. I've always wondered what they thought when they opened my office door at midnight and I had my chair barricading it. Then I hop up in my sweats. I failed, took it as a learning experience and moved on. Worked harder on my new business and succeeded. Just have to work like hell and keep moving. You fall and you get up.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Bila @Kid Money

Neither of you are wrong, just depends on your goals and aptitude. Please be mindful of each other's desired outcomes in life.

^^^ This.

It depends on your goals. I have three sons... 2, 4, and 6. I am not going to spend less time with them now so I can spend more time with them later.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I was curious once you brought up Arvin Lal because I follow both him and his athletes on instagram. They share some pretty valuable stuff.

For those interested, here's a video of the man himself explaining his exact day to day routine, how he does it, and why he does it.

* His daily routine starts at 18:20

Chazmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
May 23, 2013
USA
No doubt that intense focus like that will produce huge results. Also no doubt that the same focus requires one to sacrifice other things. It depends on your values on whether or not it is ok to cut everything else out of your life to focus only on business success. However I do like MJ's wealth trinity theory: Family, Fitness, Freedom, and for me it's in that order, although I do work my a$$ off on my own projects. I just make sure to workout in the morning and get date nights in with the wife. So far so good.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
Funny you said that. It hits home and I can laugh at it now. I failed miserably at my first business and spent 6 weeks under my desk over Christmas eating noodles in a cup. Pillows stuffed in my drawers and nobody knew it. I still managed to give the poor cleaners cans of food and noodles. I've always wondered what they thought when they opened my office door at midnight and I had my chair barricading it. Then I hop up in my sweats. I failed, took it as a learning experience and moved on. Worked harder on my new business and succeeded. Just have to work like hell and keep moving. You fall and you get up.

My respect :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.