The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Do big goals make you depressed?

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
So lately I have been stressed out about my new business idea, all the work that is involved. Like I haven't seen it but I have researched it and I can't help but feel stressed, and I haven't even really started. I am running into the same issue that I had a year ago, where something is hard I get discouraged very fast and feel sorta depressed. I thought it was a motivational issue, but I think I was wrong, it's a hard work issue it seems. Do you guys get the same feeling where you have this goal but immediately feel overwhelmed then procrastinate the entire day?
That's a matter of discipline and persevering. The real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines your character.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Big goals without small goals that lead to the big goal make me depressed.

I used to set extremely big goals because some people on this forum are successful and they do it (so why can't I). I knew why they did it, but the problem (for me) lied in knowing how they tackled big goals.

So I'd set big goals and that would be it.

People would tell me I should break the goal down into more manageable pieces, and I would.

I'd break the big goal down into smaller big goals.

This made me feel like I was moving forward, but in actuality - I was in the same spot.

I was left with a smaller big goal and no clear path on how to achieve it.

I don't know if your problem is motivation, hard work, or something else. But, I can say for me, the problem was none of those - it was simply a lack of a clear path.

For me, I had all the motivation and work ethic. But without very small actionable goals, I was lost.

I knew where I wanted to be and had a good idea of how to get there, but didn't know exactly how to get there. There's a big difference between 'having a good idea of how to get there' and 'knowing exactly how to get there'.

I tend to refer back to an exercise I learned in elementary school to help with setting goals:

We had to write instructions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that would help a person who had never made one.

Once we had written down the instructions, we had to give our paper to another student - and they had to follow our instructions exactly as they were written.

We all knew exactly how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

But, when it came time to create the sandwich following another student's instructions - we all ended up with half-assed sandwiches.

Some of us had sandwiches where the side of bread covered in peanut butter or jelly was touching our hands.

Like this:
h9fpjwzuw5oy.jpg

Others had sandwiches with 10% jelly and 90% peanut butter, 3-4 slices of bread (I didn't specify how many slices, I just said 'some'), and all kinds of funny variations.

We all knew what we wanted the sandwich to be but didn't know the exact steps good enough to explain it to someone else.

Which leads me to how I use that exercise to help with handling big goals in order to not be overwhelmed:

I write down the big goal, break it down into smaller goals, break those smaller goals into even smaller goals, and keep going until the path is so clear that anyone could do it if they just did the work.

I like to use mind mapping software for breaking down goals. It makes it easy for me to see both the big picture and the individual step at one time.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
That's a matter of discipline and persevering. The real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines your character.
hey I had a question, I was reading what you wrote and was thinking. What you wrote was exactly me, "the real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines you character." I guess thats what my problem is. I don't how to solve a lot of things. And i dont know how to go about it. I try to google my problems but can never find the anser. not just to a specfic problem, but just general life problems. i dont know how to solve problems. Like the other day spent all day trying to get my website working and someone gave me a suggestion if it wasnt for them the idea would of never came to mind. Any tips when it comes to problem solving? Ive heard that its probably because u dont have enough information to solve the problem. but thats the other problem i dont know where to get that information.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
hey I had a question, I was reading what you wrote and was thinking. What you wrote was exactly me, "the real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines you character." I guess thats what my problem is. I don't how to solve a lot of things. And i dont know how to go about it. I try to google my problems but can never find the anser. not just to a specfic problem, but just general life problems. i dont know how to solve problems. Like the other day spent all day trying to get my website working and someone gave me a suggestion if it wasnt for them the idea would of never came to mind. Any tips when it comes to problem solving? Ive heard that its probably because u dont have enough information to solve the problem. but thats the other problem i dont know where to get that information.

Every problem is different and dynamic. My advice: don't be so hard on yourself. You're a human being, not a computer/robot. Many of life's problems are solved when you focus on them and actively try to solve them. Personally, MJ's CENTS post has been the one that has really helped me out with clarity, and is a huge help for solving problems. If you take the core principles of the advice available on the forum you can surely apply it to other areas of your life man!

GOLD! - The CENTS Business Commandments for Entrepreneurs

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Every problem is different and dynamic. My advice: don't be so hard on yourself. You're a human being, not a computer/robot. Many of life's problems are solved when you focus on them and actively try to solve them. Personally, MJ's CENTS post has been the one that has really helped me out with clarity, and is a huge help for solving problems. If you take the core principles of the advice available on the forum you can surely apply it to other areas of your life man!

GOLD! - The CENTS Business Commandments for Entrepreneurs
I know I'm only human but I feel as if I should be able to solve this. I just want to know HOW to solve problems where I need the information but don't know where to get it. Will check out that post also.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
The problem with goals is that it doesn't factor in the person you become along the way (can't remember who said it. Not me!).

And, fixed goals assume that the approach won't change.

If I want to make $10,000/month selling potatoes but I suck at selling potatoes - I can sell something else. The goal never changes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.