• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Do big goals make you depressed?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by LiveEntrepreneur, Nov 25, 2018.

1. LiveEntrepreneur

LiveEntrepreneur Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $931
    That makes sense. Though a business is a lot more technical than running and with running there isn't a bunch of skills to learn that will take a long time, but that was my concern with business. My fear is not enough time and not having enough time to build the skills. I feel like I need to be an expert in everything and need to have multiple years of experience, this is one thing that holds me back a bit and makes me feel like I need to first spend years obtaining skills before doing these big ventures. Is this wrong and if so why?

YoungPadawan likes this.
  2. LiveEntrepreneur

Rep Bank:
    $931
    Sounds great. It's what I am currently aiming for, that's what I always wanted to get immersed in the process. Time is just one of my biggest fears.

3. DST

DST Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $508
    Sounds like you're just procrastinating, and anxious people tend to procrastinate more.

You have to realise your "big goals" are literally nothing in the cosmos of time and that you're pretty insignificant. No one cares about your goals, and no matter what you do everybody will keep living their lives like always, and the world will keep going on. Hope this helps

4. CopyDane

CopyDane New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $14
    Couldn't help thinking about this classic \,,/

Ninjakid likes this.
  5. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,261
    “There are no big problems, there are just a lot of little problems.”
    “Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs.”
    ~ Henry Ford

6. Thomas Baptiste

Thomas Baptiste Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $553
    That's a matter of discipline and persevering. The real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines your character.

LiveEntrepreneur likes this.
  7. Ninjakid

Ninjakid Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,786
    Dude this is legit my favourite song since I was like 10!

CopyDane likes this.
  8. Darius

Darius Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,003
    Big goals without small goals that lead to the big goal make me depressed.

I used to set extremely big goals because some people on this forum are successful and they do it (so why can't I). I knew why they did it, but the problem (for me) lied in knowing how they tackled big goals.

So I'd set big goals and that would be it.

People would tell me I should break the goal down into more manageable pieces, and I would.

I'd break the big goal down into smaller big goals.

This made me feel like I was moving forward, but in actuality - I was in the same spot.

I was left with a smaller big goal and no clear path on how to achieve it.

I don't know if your problem is motivation, hard work, or something else. But, I can say for me, the problem was none of those - it was simply a lack of a clear path.

For me, I had all the motivation and work ethic. But without very small actionable goals, I was lost.

I knew where I wanted to be and had a good idea of how to get there, but didn't know exactly how to get there. There's a big difference between 'having a good idea of how to get there' and 'knowing exactly how to get there'.

I tend to refer back to an exercise I learned in elementary school to help with setting goals:

We had to write instructions on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that would help a person who had never made one.

Once we had written down the instructions, we had to give our paper to another student - and they had to follow our instructions exactly as they were written.

We all knew exactly how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

But, when it came time to create the sandwich following another student's instructions - we all ended up with half-assed sandwiches.

Some of us had sandwiches where the side of bread covered in peanut butter or jelly was touching our hands.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

Others had sandwiches with 10% jelly and 90% peanut butter, 3-4 slices of bread (I didn't specify how many slices, I just said 'some'), and all kinds of funny variations.

We all knew what we wanted the sandwich to be but didn't know the exact steps good enough to explain it to someone else.

Which leads me to how I use that exercise to help with handling big goals in order to not be overwhelmed:

I write down the big goal, break it down into smaller goals, break those smaller goals into even smaller goals, and keep going until the path is so clear that anyone could do it if they just did the work.

I like to use mind mapping software for breaking down goals. It makes it easy for me to see both the big picture and the individual step at one time.

Roz, CopyDane and LiveEntrepreneur like this.
  9. ShadyDave

ShadyDave New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $31
    Just get started and be happy with any progress you make. As you start getting it done it will be less stressful to think about.

10. LiveEntrepreneur

Rep Bank:
    $931
    hey I had a question, I was reading what you wrote and was thinking. What you wrote was exactly me, "the real difficulty is when you actually start working on it, and realize the limitations. How you deal with that aspect determines you character." I guess thats what my problem is. I don't how to solve a lot of things. And i dont know how to go about it. I try to google my problems but can never find the anser. not just to a specfic problem, but just general life problems. i dont know how to solve problems. Like the other day spent all day trying to get my website working and someone gave me a suggestion if it wasnt for them the idea would of never came to mind. Any tips when it comes to problem solving? Ive heard that its probably because u dont have enough information to solve the problem. but thats the other problem i dont know where to get that information.

Thomas Baptiste likes this.
  11. Thomas Baptiste

Thomas Baptiste Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $553

Every problem is different and dynamic. My advice: don't be so hard on yourself. You're a human being, not a computer/robot. Many of life's problems are solved when you focus on them and actively try to solve them. Personally, MJ's CENTS post has been the one that has really helped me out with clarity, and is a huge help for solving problems. If you take the core principles of the advice available on the forum you can surely apply it to other areas of your life man!

GOLD! - The CENTS Business Commandments for Entrepreneurs

12. LiveEntrepreneur

Rep Bank:
    $931
    I know I'm only human but I feel as if I should be able to solve this. I just want to know HOW to solve problems where I need the information but don't know where to get it. Will check out that post also.

13. Sanj Modha

Sanj Modha Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,409
    The problem with goals is that it doesn't factor in the person you become along the way (can't remember who said it. Not me!).

And, fixed goals assume that the approach won't change.

If I want to make $10,000/month selling potatoes but I suck at selling potatoes - I can sell something else. The goal never changes.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.