The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Disregarded Control in CENTS. The consequences.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
This post is for anyone who wants to ignore Control in CENTS in their Fastlane business, like I did.

I've been in my fastlane for several months now and have/had a few hurdles to overcome. A few skillset hurdles, but above all a lot of mental hurdles. Procrastination, self-doubt, lack of skillset, etc. But the fact is that I released a product some time ago that was very well received by my target group. It is software to support professional digital marketers with data-driven decisions. Specifically, it is a Chrome Extension. The user base is constantly growing and my proof of concept is there. Yay! =)

My approach: Using micro SaaS products to solve problems for small TAMs and replicate this process. Until I'm finally UNSCRIPTED . I know that this approach also has its weaknesses, but I like to diversify here. Unfortunately, I don't necessarily diversify very intelligently, as will become clear below.

It was clear to me from the start that I would be investing a lot of time into something, even though it wasn't really under my control and I was building my house on someone else's property. Something that, as we all know, can go very wrong very quickly.

Now I set about making the product more profitable by developing what my users want from me: Feature X, Y, Z. From a technical point of view, the implementation wasn't exactly easy. If I hadn't developed it myself, I probably would have had to pay someone else several thousand dollars to do it. It took me some time, but I knew that implementing this feedback would lead to me converting from a profitable but very low-income venture to a very lucrative product. A dream, especially since the input this time no longer comes from me, but from paying customers. At the end of the day, all they ask of me is to take their money to solve their problems. Problems that come from only a few users, but affect almost all users. A feedback loop that you could only wish for.

That all sounds very well and good so far, but what is the problem?

The problem is that I received a very unpleasant email this morning:

1696601688883.png

The email is in German, but all it says is “Unfortunately, your last submitted article was rejected. You can find out more about this below."
Unfortunately, the reasons for the rejection are so strong that even if I change my entire source code and the logic behind it, I cannot implement my new features. I don't play by Google's rules, and Google makes me feel that too.

What does that mean specifically for me:

1. I spent a lot of time developing something that I can't reuse anywhere else (it uses 100% Chrome API and I can't use that logic/functionality in a standalone web app). The features are therefore completely free.
2. My product stays as it is and my users have to do without the desired features (even though this would improve the product incredibly and enable the product to create even more added value for my users)
3. The journey ends here

How do I feel personally?

I'm a little annoyed at my stupidity. I would say that there is no book that I have read more often than TMF . I know the meaning of CENTS inside and out. Above all, I am aware of the importance of control. In this case, I was absolutely aware that control over my own business was important, but I was still so irresponsible and ignored the importance of it. I have a wonderful ENTS business in front of me. But unfortunately it is precisely the missing C that ensures that the journey will end here.

My learnings:

• Don't build on other people's properties anymore
• Looking back, the effort required to create a Chrome Extension was at least as great, if not greater, than the effort I would have had if I had developed a standalone web app over which I would have full control. It was an initial misconception to think that the development effort would be lower due to the limited functionality of the Chrome Extension. Of course, this cannot be generalized.
• Just because you have a distribution channel available (Chrome Web Store) doesn't mean that customers will come on their own. I also have the effort of customer acquisition, customer support, marketing, iteration based on customer feedback, ...

What's next?

I was still able to learn a few things and remain loyal to the SaaS business. I will use the existing customer base and create a new product based on it that will solve the users' problems. This time, of course, a product where I no longer have to worry about whether a third-party company will give me permission to implement feature X or Y.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
This post is for anyone who wants to ignore Control in CENTS in their Fastlane business, like I did.

I've been in my fastlane for several months now and have/had a few hurdles to overcome. A few skillset hurdles, but above all a lot of mental hurdles. Procrastination, self-doubt, lack of skillset, etc. But the fact is that I released a product some time ago that was very well received by my target group. It is software to support professional digital marketers with data-driven decisions. Specifically, it is a Chrome Extension. The user base is constantly growing and my proof of concept is there. Yay! =)

My approach: Using micro SaaS products to solve problems for small TAMs and replicate this process. Until I'm finally UNSCRIPTED . I know that this approach also has its weaknesses, but I like to diversify here. Unfortunately, I don't necessarily diversify very intelligently, as will become clear below.

It was clear to me from the start that I would be investing a lot of time into something, even though it wasn't really under my control and I was building my house on someone else's property. Something that, as we all know, can go very wrong very quickly.

Now I set about making the product more profitable by developing what my users want from me: Feature X, Y, Z. From a technical point of view, the implementation wasn't exactly easy. If I hadn't developed it myself, I probably would have had to pay someone else several thousand dollars to do it. It took me some time, but I knew that implementing this feedback would lead to me converting from a profitable but very low-income venture to a very lucrative product. A dream, especially since the input this time no longer comes from me, but from paying customers. At the end of the day, all they ask of me is to take their money to solve their problems. Problems that come from only a few users, but affect almost all users. A feedback loop that you could only wish for.

That all sounds very well and good so far, but what is the problem?

The problem is that I received a very unpleasant email this morning:

View attachment 51713

The email is in German, but all it says is “Unfortunately, your last submitted article was rejected. You can find out more about this below."
Unfortunately, the reasons for the rejection are so strong that even if I change my entire source code and the logic behind it, I cannot implement my new features. I don't play by Google's rules, and Google makes me feel that too.

1. I spent a lot of time developing something that I can't reuse anywhere else (it uses 100% Chrome API and I can't use that logic/functionality in a standalone web app). The features are therefore completely free.
2. My product stays as it is and my users have to do without the desired features (even though this would improve the product incredibly and enable the product to create even more added value for my users)
3. The journey ends here

How do I feel personally?

I'm a little annoyed at my stupidity. I would say that there is no book that I have read more often than TMF . I know the meaning of CENTS inside and out. Above all, I am aware of the importance of control. In this case, I was absolutely aware that control over my own business was important, but I was still so irresponsible and ignored the importance of it. I have a wonderful ENTS business in front of me. But unfortunately it is precisely the missing C that ensures that the journey will end here.

My learnings:

• Don't build on other people's properties anymore
• Looking back, the effort required to create a Chrome Extension was at least as great, if not greater, than the effort I would have had if I had developed a standalone web app over which I would have full control. It was an initial misconception to think that the development effort would be lower due to the limited functionality of the Chrome Extension. Of course, this cannot be generalized.
• Just because you have a distribution channel available (Chrome Web Store) doesn't mean that customers will come on their own. I also have the effort of customer acquisition, customer support, marketing, iteration based on customer feedback, ...

What's next?

I was still able to learn a few things and remain loyal to the SaaS business. I will use the existing customer base and create a new product based on it that will solve the users' problems. This time, of course, a product where I no longer have to worry about whether a third-party company will give me permission to implement feature X or Y.
Why not just build out the entire app on your own? Take the C back lol

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Why not just build out the entire app on your own? Take the C back lol

1. I spent a lot of time developing something that I can't reuse anywhere else (it uses 100% Chrome API and I can't use that logic/functionality in a standalone web app).

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
I mean, build the entire thing from scratch as a SaaS decoupled from google chrome. Is it not possible?
Yeah, I know what you mean and appreciate your input, but unfortunately, that's not possible from a technical standpoint, as my extension rely solely on the Chrome API, which you only can access thorugh Chrome Extensions.

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany
I know how you are feeling. I had a similar problem with a Google API. It was an Add-on for Google Drive.

In my case, it was a limitation with access rights, that I would have never assumed existed, but it doomed the project despite having over 10,000 installations.

Bottom line: App/add-on stores can be an interesting distribution channel, but you should never depend on them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hold your head high.

You got experience. You didn't go bankrupt. You learned a valuable lesson.

On to the next challenge where triumph awaits.

These kinds of "hiccups" are all part of the game.

Thanks for sharing your story, not everyone shares their struggles.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just testing my "MJ DeMarco AI Assistant" -- so far it has been pretty accurate.

Please give me an analysis for a Chrome extension that helps digital marketers make data driven decisions, assume the product costs $5/mo.

Wealth Analyzer MJ

Analyzing your Chrome extension idea for digital marketers, priced at $5 per month, through the CENTS Framework of MJ DeMarco and considering its potential as a 'Fastlane' business:
  1. Control: Developing a Chrome extension provides good control over the product. However, being dependent on the Google Chrome platform can introduce some limitations or changes based on Google's policies.
  2. Entry: The barrier to entry for creating Chrome extensions is relatively low, particularly in the digital marketing niche, which is quite tech-savvy and competitive. The challenge is to build something that stands out.
  3. Need: Digital marketing is a field that heavily relies on data-driven decisions. If your extension offers unique, actionable insights that marketers can't easily get elsewhere, it meets a significant need.
  4. Time: Initially, significant time investment will be required in development and marketing. Over time, the goal should be for the extension to generate passive income with minimal ongoing involvement.
  5. Scale: Chrome extensions can be scaled relatively easily, especially if they offer a unique value. Your growth potential will be tied to how effectively you can market the extension and retain users.
Profit Calculations:
  • $5,000 per month: You would need approximately 1,000 subscribers ($5,000 / $5 = 1,000).
  • $100,000 per year: This equates to about 1,667 subscribers annually ($100,000 / ($5 * 12) = 1,666.67).
  • $100,000 per month: A challenging target, requiring around 20,000 subscribers per month ($100,000 / $5 = 20,000).
Major Obstacles:
  • Competition: Differentiating in a crowded market of digital marketing tools.
  • User Acquisition: Convincing digital marketers to pay for your extension over using free tools or established paid products.
  • Retention: Ensuring your tool remains relevant and valuable to retain subscribers.
Profit Margins:
  • Generally higher in software products like Chrome extensions, but customer acquisition costs, especially in the competitive digital marketing niche, can be significant.
Marketing Strategies:
  1. Leverage digital marketing communities and forums to promote your extension.
  2. Collaborate with influential digital marketers for reviews or endorsements.
  3. Offer a free trial period to attract users and demonstrate the extension's value.
  4. Create valuable content (blog posts, videos, webinars) that showcases how your extension can solve specific problems.
  5. Utilize targeted ads on platforms frequented by digital marketers.
Actionable Steps:
  1. Conduct thorough market research to identify gaps in the current offerings.
  2. Develop an MVP to test your concept and get early feedback.
  3. Craft a compelling marketing message focusing on the unique benefits of your extension.
  4. Implement a user feedback loop to continuously improve the product.
  5. Develop a scalable customer support system as your user base grows.
Ethical and Legal Considerations:
  • Ensure user data privacy and security, especially when dealing with marketing data.
  • Clearly communicate the extension's functionalities and data usage policies.
Grade:
  • Numerical: 80/100
  • Letter: B
The higher grade reflects the strong need in the digital marketing community for data-driven tools, the relatively low overhead costs of a Chrome extension, and the potential for a recurring revenue model. The success of your venture will hinge on your ability to create a distinctive, valuable tool that addresses specific pain points of digital marketers.

Trismigistus

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Sep 5, 2023
Just testing my "MJ DeMarco AI Assistant" -- so far it has been pretty accurate.

Please give me an analysis for a Chrome extension that helps digital marketers make data driven decisions, assume the product costs $5/mo.

Wealth Analyzer MJ

Analyzing your Chrome extension idea for digital marketers, priced at $5 per month, through the CENTS Framework of MJ DeMarco and considering its potential as a 'Fastlane' business:
  1. Control: Developing a Chrome extension provides good control over the product. However, being dependent on the Google Chrome platform can introduce some limitations or changes based on Google's policies.
  2. Entry: The barrier to entry for creating Chrome extensions is relatively low, particularly in the digital marketing niche, which is quite tech-savvy and competitive. The challenge is to build something that stands out.
  3. Need: Digital marketing is a field that heavily relies on data-driven decisions. If your extension offers unique, actionable insights that marketers can't easily get elsewhere, it meets a significant need.
  4. Time: Initially, significant time investment will be required in development and marketing. Over time, the goal should be for the extension to generate passive income with minimal ongoing involvement.
  5. Scale: Chrome extensions can be scaled relatively easily, especially if they offer a unique value. Your growth potential will be tied to how effectively you can market the extension and retain users.
Profit Calculations:
  • $5,000 per month: You would need approximately 1,000 subscribers ($5,000 / $5 = 1,000).
  • $100,000 per year: This equates to about 1,667 subscribers annually ($100,000 / ($5 * 12) = 1,666.67).
  • $100,000 per month: A challenging target, requiring around 20,000 subscribers per month ($100,000 / $5 = 20,000).
Major Obstacles:
  • Competition: Differentiating in a crowded market of digital marketing tools.
  • User Acquisition: Convincing digital marketers to pay for your extension over using free tools or established paid products.
  • Retention: Ensuring your tool remains relevant and valuable to retain subscribers.
Profit Margins:
  • Generally higher in software products like Chrome extensions, but customer acquisition costs, especially in the competitive digital marketing niche, can be significant.
Marketing Strategies:
  1. Leverage digital marketing communities and forums to promote your extension.
  2. Collaborate with influential digital marketers for reviews or endorsements.
  3. Offer a free trial period to attract users and demonstrate the extension's value.
  4. Create valuable content (blog posts, videos, webinars) that showcases how your extension can solve specific problems.
  5. Utilize targeted ads on platforms frequented by digital marketers.
Actionable Steps:
  1. Conduct thorough market research to identify gaps in the current offerings.
  2. Develop an MVP to test your concept and get early feedback.
  3. Craft a compelling marketing message focusing on the unique benefits of your extension.
  4. Implement a user feedback loop to continuously improve the product.
  5. Develop a scalable customer support system as your user base grows.
Ethical and Legal Considerations:
  • Ensure user data privacy and security, especially when dealing with marketing data.
  • Clearly communicate the extension's functionalities and data usage policies.
Grade:
  • Numerical: 80/100
  • Letter: B
The higher grade reflects the strong need in the digital marketing community for data-driven tools, the relatively low overhead costs of a Chrome extension, and the potential for a recurring revenue model. The success of your venture will hinge on your ability to create a distinctive, valuable tool that addresses specific pain points of digital marketers.
This is really cool, it will be a lot of fun to play with!

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jan 17, 2023
Profit Calculations:
MJ, the answers seem really good to me and it reflects a lot of my daily tasks as well. However, based on your books, it would be nice to add an asset evaluation based on industry mutlipliers as well. While improving my specialized skill (extension development) I have created dozens of mini extensions and one of them was scraping the multipliers of common digital/online business models on marketplaces/platforms like Empireflippers. Here is what I got:
  • E-Commerce Sector: Approximately 50% Margins (that's self-hosted)
  • Amazon Affiliate Sector: Approximately 95% Margins
  • Amazon Merch Sector: Approximately 98% Margins
  • Amazon KDP Sector: Approximately 75% Margins (with AdSpent) 93% (without AdSpent)
  • Amazon FBA Sector: Approximately 30% Margins
  • Display Ads Sector (Google AdSense): Approximately 95% Margins
  • Lead Generation Sector: Approximately 99% Margins (this assumes a One-Man-Show and no employees)
  • SaaS Sector: Approximately 50% Margins (Mainly due to external programmers and other employees) / 70% / 95% (Subscription-based forum)
  • Affiliate Sector: Approximately 90% Margins
  • Application (App) Sector: Approximately 90% Margins (e.g., Shopify App)

Take it with a grain of salt, but maybe you can use this or something else to train the AI even more.

I like the feature quite a bit btw!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.