The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Deliver Value Upfront

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
This might be obvious for a lot of the members here, but it's one that took me a while to truly understand and internalize.

If you are doing outbound/reach marketing, you HAVE to deliver value upfront. Unless your offer/value proposition is absolutely insane, there is no other way.

You must reverse the risk unto yourself.

There is just too much BS/noise out there. Too many bad marketers with horrible offers / presentation skills. So people just group a lot of outbound/reach marketers into a bucket of shit. Even if you have an amazing offer, you still get ignored more often then not.

Until you have enough [expertise/proof/clients/popularity] that people come to YOU, you are going to have to provide value up front.

Now, obviously once you have clout, inbound marketing is the shit. You have a bit more power and you can have a "take it or leave it" attitude.

But if you are doing outreach, be prepared to spend a lot of money or a lot of time (or both) providing value up front.

Lately I've been spending 2-3 hours (per prospect) making presentations for people I haven't even met

But if I send 10 presentations out and I can close 1 out of 10 clients, that's 20-30 hours per client.

That's 2 a week at 40-60 hours per week.

8 per month.

---

Provide value up front.

Do some work that you already wrote off as a loss. Dont even sweat if people don't respond. Know your numbers. If you only expect 10% to hit, then who gives a shit if 4 in a row don't.

Get their attention with this upfront work

Craft a little "foot in the door" offer and do work for really cheap (better)

Then form relationships/trust and eventually upsell

---

Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Lately I've been spending 2-3 hours (per prospect) making presentations for people I haven't even met

But if I send 10 presentations out and I can close 1 out of 10 clients, that's 20-30 hours per client.

That's 2 a week at 40-60 hours per week.

8 per month.
Hol' up chief. Can I clue you in on another way to do this?

Send the message first. If you want, include a portion of what the presentation would be. When you get a response, then create the presentation.

You're raking the lawn before the homeowner agrees to pay you. Show em you have a rake first.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Hol' up chief. Can I clue you in on another way to do this?

Send the message first. If you want, include a portion of what the presentation would be. When you get a response, then create the presentation.

You're raking the lawn before the homeowner agrees to pay you. Show em you have a rake first.

I used to do things like that but I would get a low response/interest rate

Maybe I was doing it wrong

I find that making a nice lil video or a mockup and sending them a message/email with a screenshot that has their branding works great

This is for basic web services (web design, web marketing, etc)

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
2-3 hours per COLD prospect is a helluva lot of time, why not just use something like Screen Recorder & Video Editor | Screencast-O-Matic to whip up a short video going over their site?

You could bust out 10 of these a day, with an short email + follow up sequence after.

Hell, even pay someone else to make the videos and automate the email sequence...

Remember what's valuable to you as a marketer (design, KPI's, search vol...) may not be as valuable to your client.

A baker only cares about one thing.....selling more cakes.....

I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts (pun intended), that the baker doesn't care if the CTA button is red vs blue.....because that's not his job...

His job is to bake cakes!

You're selling web services, so I'm guessing that includes Google Ads and FB Ads along with web design.

Why not send them a customer via those ads as something he can sink his teeth into? Follow up the next day...then sell him a web design package along with the ads.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey
Just coming back to this thread to say that I agree 2-3 hours is a long time - I exaggerated

Shouldn't really be talking specifics anyway because every scenario/case is different

I'm gonna come back to this thread with a more accurate view next week

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Are you pitching the features, the benefits, or the aftermath of the benefits???

Take a long hard thought about that. The baker doesn’t JUST want to sell more. They want to sell more because ______.

And no, not everyone wants a F*cking lambo and beachfront property. Most of the sales that I’ve been involved in, are as simple as being able to provide a solution for avoiding the shitty tasks required for daily operation.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Are you pitching the features, the benefits, or the aftermath of the benefits???

Take a long hard thought about that. The baker doesn’t JUST want to sell more. They want to sell more because ______.

And no, not everyone wants a f*cking lambo and beachfront property. Most of the sales that I’ve been involved in, are as simple as being able to provide a solution for avoiding the sh*tty tasks required for daily operation.
"I understand that as a baker you want to sell more cakes because if you do sell more cakes then you get a beachfront property and a f***ing lambo as a result. I can help you with that. More cakes...and beachfront property and a lambo. It's the dream, baby! "

Worst sales pitch...ever!

"I understand that as a baker you want to sell more cakes. Everybody loves cakes. Ever seen the Disney-Pixar movie, Ratatoulie? In the movie, Ior eats the Ratatoulie. When he does, he's brought back to his childhood. I remember baking cakes with my mom and licking the chocolate off the spoon/spatula. We want more people buying your cakes so that they can have that same childhood experience. That same feeling of pure bliss."

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
Hahahahahaha unless it’s a cake delivery service...

Cakes delivered at 205mph - the lambo guarantees it or you can stay at my beachfront mansion in miami!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.