The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Btw, DeadEndShitJobsYours.com is free in case someone wants to grab it :)

Lol I think we could register a domain per thread on the forums :rofl:

I haven't had any shit jobs, in fact, I've only had my current job for almost 3 years. Anyways this is enough "learning" for me :smx8:

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
Most of my jobs haven't been so-called professional jobs and I've had many b/c I just know that a job sucks (at least i haven't found one that i have loved)

i'm just going to name my timeline so to speak

-caddy at 12 and 14
-worked at sabarros in the mall washing dishes. had to wear a bow tie
and sweat my nads off
-worked at a retail sports chain - boring but our managers didn't mind when we took stuff
(safe to say the company went bankrupt)
-I've waited tables and bussed at probably 12 different restaurants - not all bad - we drank a lot and i met my wife at one.
-i helped my dad one year by properly placing paper on a conveyer belt - Man was that boring for 8 hours - i could've killed myself
-did tree work for a summer. hard a$$ work
-loan officer (not crap)
-staff accountant at a major corp and a small CPA firm
-sold jewelry at the mall - this was crap
-pulled weeds and landscaped a bit - i hated this
-i delivered 2 pizzas one time
-sold electrolux vacuums - after selling 4 in my first weekend to people
i knew, i quickly hated it after my first few cold calls. cantwait2 had some balls
for sticking it out as long as he did.

you know looking back there was always something enjoyable or beneficial out of each job. believe it or not some of the restaurant work and such was more fun than the accounting work i do now. man is it boring sometimes. for a guy that can't sit still for 5 minutes, doing so for 8 hours in a cubicle really motivates you to get the hell out.

plus there's something about manual labor that i enjoyed. felt productive at the end of the day.

Joe

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MJ, can you elaborate on what that means?

Media outlets love giving FREE publicity to new, trendy websites. I can see a well-written Press Release being picked up by many outlets; of course, assuming the website has newsworthy content. TV, blogs, website, you name it.

Many websites have used free PR to gain traction. For example, HotEnough.org used Press Releases and got millions in free air time on many TV news shows.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I cleaned horse stables and washed 18 wheelers as a teenager.

I also had one of those paper routes that we delivered to every house and tried to collect. I had the highest percentage of collections in the circulatiion at 49%. It was a tough job as the paper was free and the payment was voluntary. My collections were high because the delivery was always on the porch and people thought I was polite (had them fooled). And... I went to every house, every month to try and collect.

Worked as a landscaper for a few years. Tried to start my own company but failed due to poor marketing.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Contract Manager for a Modeling Agency (No really it sucked, lowest self esteem women I have ever met.)

Funny that you'd think otherwise from watching the commercials huh.

Actresses are the same way I hear; I don't know what your goals or morals were at the time, but that is a cake job for getting a lot of a$$ out of your shit job.

Z5 FILMS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 13, 2007
The Woodlands, TX
I used to work at this place on Maui named Dans Green House. I cleaned monkey cages full of crazy rabid monkeys that smelled like hell, and scooped bird shit.

:)

It sucked, but I actually liked working there. Got paid $11/hr to scoop bird shit and spray monkeys with a hose, boss left me alone and I could go surfing on my lunch break.

china

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Sep 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
-sold jewelry at the mall - this was crap

Hey! I had this job once and it actually turned out to be one of the most educational jobs I ever had! I worked for a big country-wide chain but I worked with one of the owner's daughters. She taught me how to make "personal sales." It mostly involved a lot of eye contact with the buyer than moving the eye contact to the jewelry -- the whole time talking up the piece of jewelry like they were buying the Hope Diamond. With men, I was taught to talk longer and more suductively, leaning forward across the counter a lot while holding the pieces up to me (my chest, my ears, my neck) and gradually upselling them until they were buying many pieces. Anyway, I became one of the top salespeople for the whole chain in less than 3 months. It was fun, but I quit in less than six months to take another job.

None of my worst jobs were really dirty. Most of them were just stupid jobs:

Telephone sales for Olan Mills (I lasted about a month in high school)

Retail sales in an amusement park

Magician (fun but hard work and REALLY dead end because where can magicians progress to? Especially female magicians? Everybody wants you to be their assistant!)

Receptionist

Office temp worker (I actually liked this job)

Advertising sales for a weekly shopper (one of the worst jobs ever)

Advertising sales/copywriter for an ad agency (I quit on my lunch hour - it was a bad job too.)

Proofreader at a graphics house (boring)

Marketing Director for a big company (Bad because they got bought out three months after I started and our whole division was laid off.)

LaurenO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 28, 2007
Phoenix
-Lifeguard (sitting in the heat all day and cleaning locker rooms at night)
-Office assistant (Filing sucks, but paid well)
-Waitress/Cook at a tea place (I actually really enjoyed this job, until they decided I didn't need tips)
-Sales clerk at a small snobby boutique (This job was pretty peachy...I worked Saturdays 10-5 for $12 an hour, did my homework most of the day, helped the few customers that came in, and made commission off overpriced crap)
-Pet Care Associate at Petsmart, my current job...hahaha. (I get to deal with unreasonable customers and clean up ferret crap, among other forms of crap. If that doesn't get to you, the 4 am shifts will.) I do actually enjoy this job most days. It's fast paced so the day goes by quickly, I enjoy helping people with their pets, and I've acquired a goodly amount of free stuff like cracked aquariums. I leave this job in less than 2 weeks, on to bigger and better things :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Look at all these people with the last initial "O". If enough of us get on here, we can take over the forum. :icon_super:

Congrats on making it to the next stage Lauren!!!

mini ferrari

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 14, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
At 15 I worked on the grounds crew at the local nursery, 16 and 17 I worked as a crew member then was promoted to manager at Taco Bell, then was a Sioux Chef at a high end retirement home, and then worked in a call center at an insurance co.

dino23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Sep 19, 2007
Southfield, MI
here my "leveraged" resume - never got to use that BS degree

janitor (the works, cleaning it all. dealing with the people's demands and their i'm better than you attitudes. embarrasing one: a degreed engineer cleaning toilets)

help desk tech (they love you when their computer works and cant stand ya guts when they dont)

Onstar tech assistance team (troubleshoot that onstar crap. heard so many horror stories and received so many tongue lashing and cuss outs and threats from un happy customers. at one time, half of GM wanted to scrap it due to it's issues, the other half wanted to use to sale cars. we know what side won)

data entry for a friend who sell techno music (wax/ records. sucked but it helped w/ the bills)

mortgage company (sales exp is great.)

Walley

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Oct 1, 2007
Guess I'll add my jobs

Target stock guy- unloaded the truck and stocked the store at 12 in the morning

Handy man- never knew if I had work the next day

Bookstore sales/cashier- Out of all the jobs I had this was the most relaxing, but the pay sucked

Aircraft Technician- I dred going to work. Especially if someone loses a small washer in the engine compartment somewhere...Consider yourself working about a 12 hour shift without extra pay.

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
car sales
went from VW , to Audi
to manhattan motor cars (lambo,bentley,rolls,porsche,spyker,saleen, etc etc)

i hate the car sales business

no matter how much money i made, it was never worth 12 hours of my day.. .and regardless of how much i made, the owner made a shit load more money than me...

customers were a pain in the a$$, and always wanted a discount that would lead to me making pennies...

i quit while making 100k per year...

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
Although I wouldn't consider any job I had a "shit" job as I always tried to find the positives even while working for someone else, I didn't particularly care working as a:

- Cook in a fast food joint in the mall.

- Short-order cook at a restaurant.

- Intern job at University teaching non-tech students how to use Microsoft Office.

- Tech support for a telemarketing company (I admit I only spent one week at this job as it severely conflicted with my values).

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
I agree... Any job can burn you out and become a shit job after time.

I've been in the IT industry for 10+ years, and while the salary is always close to 6 figures, there is no future -- it's depressing watching my friends constantly being displaced and laid off, I have to deal with people in India now 60% of my time, who can't even speak English.... Nobody gives a crap about quality anymore -- they just wants butts in seats... The day I walk out of that place will be the best day of my life!

I absolutely loathe the fact that I "need" that paycheck in order to survive and provide for my family. Makes me f'ing sick to my guts...

- Hakrjak

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
Although I wouldn't consider any job I had a "shit" job as I always tried to find the positives even while working for someone else,

I tend to be the same way, usually I am joking around trying to make people cheer up. I've worked A LOT of jobs. Now that I'm back in school and have plenty of bills to pay, I'm working some dead end jobs again. I've done everything from....

construction
Bear Rock Cafe cook
Hooters cook
mechanic
pizza delivery
car wash laborer

The final straw was working as a mechanic for Freightliner for 2.5 years. I got depressed seeing so many people be happy making $60K/year doing the same repetitive thing in the same small area EVERY day.

I'm now back helping my buddy out at his pizza take-out biz on the weekends, just today was called back to come be a DJ for the student FM radio station(thats actually fun); I may end up applying at the car wash again too.

I will go back to my boss in construction and seek advice from him as he now also is a VERY successful developer.

GoldenEggs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 4, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't really consider any of the jobs I had, to be that shitty...although I do have some distance now.

- Gantos - a clothing store

- The Limited - another clothing store (I got discounts at the other stores under their corporation so that was fun)

- Concession stand for my university (I got to keep what wasn't sold and as a college student, free food was always welcomed!)

- Asst case worker for Girls, Inc. (would love to continue working in this area. Currently I am a member of Girls For A Change)

- Intern to the Pres. of my university (this was a lot of fun, wish I had used it for networking better)

- Corporate immigration paralegal and toward the end, also moonlighted at Victoria Secrets (this I hated because I took VS as a second job to support my unemployed then-bf)

- Intellectual Property paralegal (I let the job take over my life and that is never good)

Now I'm working with my husband on our internet business and real estate and have some shit things to do but we're working on automating the website and the real estate is a struggle but I know we will get through it.

But even the things that I consider shit work now.... have value in the future. At the very least, I know what I don't want to do so I am motivated to find a way that it doesn't fall on me!

Thanks

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 27, 2008
Hello All,

I'm new here. I couldn't resist a post on this topic.

The longest job I ever had was 3 months at wal-mart as a stockperson.

In college, I worked as a Vacuum Truck Driver. This was tough and dangerous. Though, it afforded me time to listen to books on tape all night long and drive around parking lots as if in a bumper car.

And lastly, selling ads for Florida Trooper magazine. Hardest Sell ever.

David

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
Sydney
We'll heres my list

1. Kitchen hand - Washed dishes, cleaning oil and grease off the stove and trays for a busy resturant.

2. Telemarketer - For a shareholders company, really really shitty.

3. Luggage handler - Carried all these heavy bullshit from the boats. Broke my back doing that job lol.

CRBFL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Oct 9, 2007
I'm not going to list them all, but the one that really made me lose my damn mind.... Being unemployed after getting out of the military.

It was a good lesson to learn. Most people that I meet have become so bitter and hateful at their jobs that all they strive for is to retire just do nothing at all. That is definitely not the answer! Find something that you love doing and then bust your a$$, that is priceless.

LAMBO-N-IT

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 18, 2008
Canada
-Collecting carts/helping people lift heavy crap into their car for a department store (lasted a few months)
-Moving cases of water in the summer (graveyard shift) (lasted a few months)
-Detailing cars for Honda (lasted a few days)

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Dishwasher- actually sort of fun, being I was in a small, family owned restaurant with a great bunch of people, but yes the work itself sucked. The food was great, the owner was my friends dad, a 5 Star Chef.

Safeway- bag boy and Deli. Unions. it sucked.

Yard Man- tough job, hard work, mentally easy though, and it makes the body strong.

Delivery Van driver- toughest job ever- fighting through traffic on a time line! I give them credit! Turns your brain to mush.

jimculler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 14, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
TCA- Dumpster Diving for Carboard outside furniture stores
Took said cardboard and made boxes for shipping fencing equipment
Eventually worked my way up to shipping floor for picking and checking orders
Later became shipping manager and supervised 3 other employees that had the **** jobs I had already worked up from

Pizza Hut: Lasted 3 days, quit the night they wanted me to clean the bathrooms.

Car Wash: Lasted 2 days, was hungover from 21st bday party and couldnt make it to work.

Group Coordinator: This was a job that got me out of a small town and into Orlando, FL. without this job I would have never made it out of the a**hole of America which is Mayberry NC. Basically I just did meet and greets at airports and hotels for high school faculty and students on senior trips to Disney. This was seasonal work, so I had to find another gig after 4 months.

Telemarketing: Did 1st and 2nd shift with 2 companies under one roof. B2B in the morning, and consumers at night. This place was a straight boiler room, and while it conflicted with my morals, it paid the bills for almost a year. Plus taught me sales skills that I needed to hone for future ventures.

Debt Collecting: bankers hours doing phone work. Trying to get consumers to pay their old credit card and repo debt. This is a job where you are cussed out 90% of the time for being a ruthless bastard. However it taught me the FDCPA which was necessary in helping me to repair peoples credit files later. This place was privately owned and we were all at aroudn 80k+ a year. A big corporation (debt buyer) bought it up and ran it in the ground within a year.

These were my shit jobs that lead to me becoming a mortgage broker, and a self employed individual. I brokered for a small shop, then started my own MBB. Folded my MBB when the market tanked, due to problems meeting overhead, and not wanting to work for free.

Now I work for a nationwide direct lender because the heat is about to come down on mortgage brokers like you wouldnt believe.

I will probably be a LO for the rest of my life. Unless my passive income becomes so heavy that I cant fathom spending time doing anything but investing. Even then I will probably still do my referral business.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
I had some shitty one time stint jobs here and there, but memorable ones were-

the jack of all trades in a deli... short order cook, waited tables, washed dishes, stocked sodas/supplies, cooked in back, delivered... would go home to my girlfriend who would complain I smelled like roast beef and mustard... derelicts in the kitchen used to share reefer like it was going out of style... good thing food was free, munchies had me eating like a king.

my hungover mornings(afternoons) would have me eating the patrons food that I was supposed to deliver... good thing the deli had their own cars, I crashed one. heh, I am laughing very hard right now thinking about those days.

Then I graduated college and worked as a slave from 7a to 11p daily for a kitchen remodeling company. I was the head demolition guy who would go into an existing kitchen with a crow bar and rip the place apart. no perks here and only lasted one summer. But I was in good shape. Then I painted... mostly exterior. Absolutely no excitement for me but these jobs all taught me that nothing comes easy unless I do the planning.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Now I work for a nationwide direct lender because the heat is about to come down on mortgage brokers like you wouldnt believe.
I am interested in this comment. What do you mean by that? [and sorry for the thread hijack]

ChrisS417

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Sep 24, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I am interested in this comment. What do you mean by that? [and sorry for the thread hijack]

Probably because the mortgage brokers were the main sales people responsible for this whole foreclosure mess. . .

I mean perhaps the realtors were in on it too if they knew it was easy for everyone to get financing.

From what I understand it was these mortgage brokers who were allowing people who had no business doing so to sign the dotted line and get those "low easy payments" on the over priced house they couldn't afford in the first place.

A lot of the REO listings on the MLS right now require, if you're not a cash buyer, financing from direct lenders.

I'm interested in hearing more about this too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.