The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Daily Update] Watch me go from Freelancer To Entrepreneur

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
TOTAL REVENUE: $361.35
TOTAL PROFITS (-16%): $311.50
PROGRESS TODAY (Day 21-2):
- Today's Profits: $9.40
- Work Time: 5h
- Average Rate: $0.40/h (24h in a day)

PROGRESS THIS WEEK (Week 4):

- Weekly Profits: $15.40
- Work Time: 9h
- Average Rate: <$1/h (168h in a week)
GROWTH:
Last Day's Profits: $6.00
Last Week's Profits: $45.20

-Compared By Day: +56.67%
-Compared By Week: -65.93%
-Production: 18.02% (PB = $52.15)
RECORDS OF THE DAY
- Most Work Completed: 6600 words (22 articles) , <Day 12>
- Most Profit Made: $52.15, <Day 12>
- Most Time Working: 7.5h , <Day 12>

RECORDS OF THE WEEK
- Most Profit Made: $190.35 , <Week 2>
- Most Time Working: 27 h , <Week 2>
NOTES:
*Unlocked the account, get the money back, and wrote two articles.
**Despite the profits, I continue to work solid hours per day. It's on the right path.
Also, feel free to check Trello for 100% detailed info.
Data updated in 16/01/2020

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
TOTAL REVENUE: $367.50
TOTAL PROFITS (-16%): $317.50
PROGRESS TODAY (Day 22-3):
- Today's Profits: 6.00$
- Work Time: 5h
- Average Rate: $0.25/h (24h in a day)

PROGRESS THIS WEEK (Week 4):

- Weekly Profits: $21.40
- Work Time: 24h
- Average Rate: <$1/h (168h in a week)
GROWTH:
Last Day's Profits: $9.40
Last Week's Profits: $45.20

-Compared By Day: ~-70.00%
-Compared By Week: -53.00%
-Production: 11.29% (PB = $52.15)
RECORDS OF THE DAY
- Most Work Completed: 6600 words (22 articles) , <Day 12>
- Most Profit Made: $52.15, <Day 12>
- Most Time Working: 7.5h , <Day 12>

RECORDS OF THE WEEK
- Most Profit Made: $190.35 , <Week 2>
- Most Time Working: 27 h , <Week 2>
NOTES:
*2 articles done. A client pms me to writer for them, work for 1-2 days, and then they dissapear. It happened me twice.
** I'm 4 orders from ranking up and 19 from my objective. If I find a client to get articles consistently, I can even get more than 4 per day.

Also, feel free to check Trello for 100% detailed info.
Data updated in 17/01/2020

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 23-4
Nothing special to record. BUT my main clients seem to be back and created new orders. I just need to write more for them and I will rank up.

It still won't be easy. Once I charge about 4,5 cents per word, I'll have to overdeliver and find the right client at that rank. It's easier to lose rating there if I relax.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 24-5

I'll use this format until there are substantial changes. Right now, I need 3 articles for promotion 1, 8 for promotion 2, and 18 for the objective goal.

Today, I completed 2 articles in 3 hours. Made ~$12 which adds up a total of $300. I've kept getting the best rating and I want to increase the amount. The potential is high (even $400 a day), but daily actions are what matter.
This closes the Week with $35. Tomorrow is week 5 (5 days per week, no days off)
Needless to say, it goes slower than I thought. Whenever I won't be writing, I want to get started on the Upwork thread of Lex Deville. Who knows? I may geta 3rd active income stream.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 25-1 (Week 5)
I completed a few articles for the same client. It ensures me a consistent rating, or so I think.
That's +$11.00 today, 3h of work, $311 profits in total.

I've got a message from a random client. He asked me some questions about my skills and hasn't replied back since then. I don't care as long as I have work to do with my other client.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 26-2 (Week 5)
Wrote some articles, ranked up to the next tier, made $21.00 today, worked for 3h. Adds up to $332 in total.

I negotiated with the habitual client to write more articles for him. For the same amount, I'll write one article more (essentially free). It helps me get more ratings to rank up.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 27-3 (Week 5)
Wrote the same number of articles, ranked up again, earned $24.00, worked the same amount of time (3h), adding $356 in total.

I expect to reduce this number soon with expenses, such as rent ($300. I have $200 covered without using the total profits).

I keep getting at least one message from a different client every day. I still stick to the same client to get the maximum ranking. Before the rankings, the price was below a cent per word. Now, it's between one and two cents. There are good opportunities, but I'm going to keep with the same client because rating matters more to me. I could earn more today, but I will secure my rating to make four times more in the next promotion.

So far, I've walked 75% of the process. I expect something to go wrong (as usually happens), but it shouldn't take more than a week.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 28-4 (Week 5)
Wrote the same number of articles (3), worked for 3 hours and earned $28.50. That's a rough total of $385. I've completed at least 80% of the process. I don't think there are any more words needed today until I achieve some more milestones.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 29-5 (End of Week 5)
Wrote the same number of articles, worked for 3h, earned $20,00. That's $395. I've lowered the price for my habitual client because he was overpaying for the same work. Because of it, I keep getting high reviews and should rank up soon (2-5 days).

At this point, it's a fact that I get to that objective because I've done 90%of the process. Ironically, the better the opportunity, the easier it's to F*ck up. It takes less than five bad articles to lower the rating.

I'll keep working with this cheap clients anyway to create a constant review safety net.

At first, I thought of working as much as possible when I reach that rank. But I would lose it really quickly (not due to skill, but client uncertainty). Once I'm there, I'll approach them smartly and communicate before writing. That's how I'm doing well until today.

In that new position, my new goal will be to land clients on that writing level. If I find the guys who trust me and like my style, I will have the freedom to work as much as necessary without risking my rank.
Considering the rates and my daily available time, I could get hyper-disciplined, work around 10h and make $300-$400 per day. The goal is to add value and create a very strong routine. Once we cross 2K, we think about money.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 30-1 (Week 6)
Worked on the usual articles (3), worked for 3.5h, earned $10.50, and that makes $405 roughly. If I'm not wrong, I'm one day away from my next milestone. I have excellent skills and believe I can find clients for personal requests. The only thing I don't know is how much work there will be available on a higher level. But, since I'm looking for habitual clients instead of one-time orders, I don't think it will matter.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 31-2 (Week 6)
I wrote two articles, worked for one hour, and got my objective rank. Made $7, adding up to $412. To my surprise, there isn't any demand at this level on a Sunday night. Although I don't think it will always be like this, I have a plan to increase my success chance.

I will keep working on those articles and getting new clients to get more requests. If I find a long term client on this level, that's good news. Also, I'm close to a "prestige" leaderboard. Clients can see the top 10 writers. If I rank there, there's more chance to find real clients due to visibility.

Overall, I don't have any hopes and It will probably fail somewhere along the line. As long as the plan makes sense to my mind, I'll keep getting there. Step one is to increase the client base.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 32-3 (week 6)
Made $4.00, worked for half an hour, adding up to $416. $250 of them are unavailable (blocked the first account, my fault for giving control), and the rest will be spent on rent, so this number will go down to zero soon.

No negativity, but now that I'm fully aware of this crapy execution, I must change. Not because the situation motivates me, but because this looks pathetic to me.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
What happened with the first account?
They changed the payment method and removed Paypal features. It requires some confusing paperwork and can easily take some weeks. "Blocked" in the sense of "cannot get money out until I fill up this data. I'm a skilled writer and follow the TOS.

It seems I'm moving gradually to Freelance Website No.2. It's funny because I was ignoring it at first.

To put it in perspective, site 1 ranks you with an automated algorithm, and site 2 ranks you with client ratings. 90% of all the profits you see every day came from grinding on Site 1.

It's been 30 days. Site 2 has promoted me 4 times (max rank already), and Site 1 Zero. Apart from the rating system, the reason was communication with my clients. No idea what will happen on Site 1. Looking to figure out Site 2 rn.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just an idea based on this...

Who Am I? I am a freelancer making 2-3K per month on average.
Who do I want to be? The Ceo of a Saas company I enjoy working on.
How? Freelance Writing --> Amazon FBA --> Saas.

You could easily look into web design.

Combine your writing skills with some basic web skills and you got a way more valuable offer (imo). It is hard to get over 1k for writing but with a website that is a lower price.

It isn't hard to learn how to build a website in a week or two and you can at least start to offer it as an upsell. You seem to be working hard and I think a small tweak like this could get you much better results.

At least half of making a website is writing based - the copy, the client emails, the selling process.
The coding part is only a small section and is getting easier to learn all the time.

Also, it lines up well with your end goal of Saas.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
33-3 (Week 6)
I wrote one article, slightly less than 1h of work, and made $5.50. Adds up, say, $420. Here's what I've noticed.
1- Since I got the max rank, I updated my writing style. It takes more time, but the work quality is maximum: 29997
That's why I think I went from 3 articles to 1 a day, although I don't like that change.

2- Sorry, but I've been measuring my progress in a way that's completely wrong. My plan on Trello clearly explains that Stage 1 of this project is a matter of Work Ethics. It doesn't matter if I make $260 in one day. If I work to little time, I'm being lazy. So I don't need to discard the progress tables I've been using. I only need to swap money with the no.1 variable: work time. I'll keep it the priority and stop analyzing the money I make. I will still show how much I earned in total. I keep this change until I reach 2K-

For someone with responsibilities, It may seem I'm working hard. But I have low expenses and 24h of free time 95% of the days. The least I can do with my potential is to pull 12h days. And I know how to pull the trigger.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Just an idea based on this...

You could easily look into web design.

Combine your writing skills with some basic web skills and you got a way more valuable offer (imo). It is hard to get over 1k for writing but with a website that is a lower price.

It isn't hard to learn how to build a website in a week or two and you can at least start to offer it as an upsell. You seem to be working hard and I think a small tweak like this could get you much better results.

At least half of making a website is writing based - the copy, the client emails, the selling process.
The coding part is only a small section and is getting easier to learn all the time.

Also, it lines up well with your end goal of Saas.
Love the idea. However, my problem has to do with getting clients more often than value. I know it works, but I have no idea how others are doing it. Getting skills isn't a problem.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 34-4 (Week 6)
Worked for four hours on three articles and earned around $11.00. 4 Hours feel a lot better than what I did yesterday. The total money made is $430.

I rejected an offer today: 2K words, $31. The guy was new on the platform, had no previous history, and was working on a"scam advice website". I chose to protect my rating because odds were against me.

As I look for reliable clients, I do want to register for Upwork. I highly recommend Freelancers to join the Lex Deville Underground group.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 35-5 (End Of Week 6)
I took the three usual articles on worked only on two. I made $7.00 today and worked at least 5h, adding up $437.

I spent 70% of my time working on another order, the one I mentioned yesterday. I gave my best to write 2K words to receive $30 AND a long-term client. So, why am I taking it if I rejected it yesterday?

I got this message this morning which got me confused.
I trust my skills. An intentional bad rating won't hurt me at all because I've created a safety net with my other orders. And he can't steal my content because I know his website address. With the downside being none, I decided to give it a shot. Let's see how it goes.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 36-1 (Week 7)
Worked for one hour, made $33.00, adding $470. The client accepted the test article and wants me to continue the long-term.

Right now, there's enough stability to make $40 per day. The problem is work ethics. This requires me to write 4K words a day instead of 2K. I did it yesterday, but now I feel soreness for some reason. It's especially hard to focus on anything.

I can handle it.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 37 (& 38) - 3 (Week 7)
Due to what I mentioned,I did 1h, 1 article, $3.50. $473.50.
I spent this whole time distracted. I use to get over them after a few days.

(What's next isn't about the daily report. It's my reflection.)

My question is,why do they appear in the first place?

So far, it seems to me that I'm on the same spot as when I started. But not everything stays the same. The first account got wiped out (losing $250), and I've recovered all my earning potential in the second account / site. In a few days, I'll be back to $0.00 in total.

I started this challenge because I've done it before. I really don't have any shortgages with work. I put distractions on my way, and now I need to remove them.

I think I put them there because I lost motivation. It was cool to work towards promotions. Now that I'm "maxed", the reward is much smaller than I pictured. I know my opportunity is there and I need to take just one more step. But I don't believe it as strongly as I did before. Instead, I fall into excuses of why I don't work.

One thing I say to myself all the time: "If I was making more than now, I'd work 10h a day." The problem is, It won't happen unless I start working at that level now.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
So I made the changes I promised to make.

Day 39-4 (Week 7)
5h of work, $37.00 made ($30 not approved yet, 99% chance). It would barely cross $500.

Very quickly after removing distractions, work starts to get interesting. Today It's been 4K words written. Like magic, everything flows. I've got more requests from a past client I stopped working with a few weeks ago.

What's the balance?

I lost my first source, worth $250 (so much work that it's not worth trying to recover it). And the rest goes for rent. I don't have clear numbers yet, but the total will stay under $100.

Before you say "It will take you another 40 days to get to $500", look at the daily registers. That's an average of $12.00 per day. I was still working on the first site and the second one was unprofitable (now, it's not).

Right now, $37 is slightly 3X. If only iI keep it, I will get to $500 much faster (2 Weeks) or hit 1.5K 40 days later.

I'm trying to be conservative numbers. There's so much I don't know. I don't know if clients will be here tomorrow. I don't know if I will ever make enough money from this site. I still haven't tried Upwork. What I can guarantee is that I am getting better at this.

Merlox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2016
Sounds good brother! Keep up the hustle. Now here's a question to get you thinking: how are you gonna raise your prices to outsource your job? You can't make a business if you have to do everything yourself so at some point you'll have to outsource which is good but you must be able to afford it comfortably to pay yourself and all the fees in the process.

I'd suggest you to focus on quality and create a similar but premium service where you charge 20x times more while you promise better researched articles. Your existing clients may be interested since they know you already. I've seen it with other people and it works.

Be sure to outsource it as soon as possible because otherwise you'll get stuck with too much work if things go well and you may never make the change from freelancer to entrepreneur, I had it happen with my freelance work and now I'm back at the beginning.

You could use the money you already made to promote this new premium service. Buy a quality video explainer with animations, show your work beautifully and pay for ads and offer it for a reduced rate to get traction initially.

In summary, here are my suggestions, it's up to you to take them:
- Think about transitioning to a business by increasing your profits. Create a similar premium service.
- Outsource your articles to others. You'll spend a great deal of time here since you will have to go through lots of people to find the one that delivers what you need at your price.
- Use your earnings to promote this new service.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 40-5 (End Of Week 7)
Here comes another one my friends!
Today has been a clone of yesterday. 5 hours,$37.00, same clients, same order quantity.

Actually, I spend 5-7h, but productivity was low. I slept 1h less than usual. I should be in bed as I post this, but I was completing the last article. I'll leave it short today to ensure success tomorrow.

P.S.: In case I was unclear with my strategy, the site I work on has a Top 10 Best Freelancers List based on order quantity and quality. If I keep the rating (because I work with the same guys), I will need around twenty articles to rank for the top 10. I don't know what my chances are. But I know It will give a massive visibility boost. I will slowly get there as I0m becoming more "disciplined."

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 41-1 (week 8)
I won't talk much today. Because it's a clone of yesterday. Clocked 5h, made $37, same stuff.

I don't know about you, but this seems fairly consistent. Now, the challenge is to scale up.
A past client has flooded me with ten private orders. I have to move fast.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 42-2 (week 8)
Worked 4.5h, made $33.5.

I can't complain. I'm getting enough work to cover my day. The problem I see is not getting disciplined fast enough to manage more work. I have many orders pending that I haven't started yet.
It's not that I feel lazy. But writing every damn day starts to make me feel a bit dull.
Btw, I expect to be away two days from now. I'll look to wake up earlier and get the work done before I go.
In a few days, I'm going back to use the classic performance tables. Now that there's actual data to record.

Couple shoutouts to the guys who are making it possible, four youtube Channels. Alex Becker, Sam Ovens, Better Ideas, Matt D'Avella.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
New day!
Day 43-3 (Week 8)
Worked 3.5h, and made around $10 in four orders. Less money than usual, but more quantity. Will boost my rank, which is right what I need. I may get to the leaderboards sooner than expected.

I'm on "ranking status," not giving all I've got yet. Once I try every strategy I know, I'll start messaging clients and building a portfolio website. The next station will be Upwork. There's still a long way to get there and many ideas I have to make this profitable.

Time will tell.

Hopefully soon.

Do you know? I've seen several execution threads through the last days, which got me thinking. Most of them, of course, get forgotten quickly. There are two or three that have been herefor 5+ years, but barely made any progress. And then there's the legendary ones, people who made a decision, sticked, won, and started another chapter.

Mine looks more like the first type. I want to be the last one.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Day 44-4 (Week 8)

Worked for three hours, made $25. These orders were slightly different.

I still have some pending work, but it's not as much as before.
I may be less than ten orders away from ranking in the freelance site. It will give massive visibility. That's why I'm starting to build a Wordpress site today, portfolio-centered.

I'll try to make it resemble to Hyros.com, my favorite design.
-Make a landing page
-Organize the blog with everything I've written so far
-FAQ Page
-About us page:My Bio, XP, and contact form.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Your daily motivation is fantastic and I really like that you are honest about your earnings. No BullSh*t talk in this thread.

One question: Do you work as a fulltime freelancer? If it is so, you have definitely to find a way earn money with a monthly payment. As the
people have written above me.

You should think to scale your business smartly. Work less, deliver more quality, raise the customer satisfaction and earn more.

This is just a good advice because I have the feeling that your in rush and maybe you will miss some great long term opportunities for your success.

Keep your thread on watched.

PS Are you in Lex DeVille's Freelancer Group on Facebook? If not, join in. Many people are poor on money but most people are poor on good advices. You can ask questions directly to Lex DeVille's and he usually answers them within a few hours.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.