The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency Experience

Anything related to bitcoin, crypto, blockchain

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
These coins, bit gold quark, whatever. All of em. They are disrupting one of the oldest industries in human history.......currency. Bitcoin may not be the one coin that lasts, but it looks like the trailblazer. Like Yahoo and AltaVista before ultimately Google took over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
First of all , thanks for starting this thread Alty!

I am currently in Quarkcoin. I was in bitcoin after a friend gave me some and I make about 4k from it but sold way to early (i could have been a lot more rich off it.)

My BIGGEST question is HOW did you buy it. Did you use MtGox, and if so did you give a photocopy of your passport to comply with some rules? I was so afraid of identity fraud that I never got any coins by any means where I had to ID myself to buy them.

Also will you sell an of your coins? PM me if you are willing to do a person-to-person transaction via paypal or something. This topic fascinates me!

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
First of all , thanks for starting this thread Alty!

I am currently in Quarkcoin. I was in bitcoin after a friend gave me some and I make about 4k from it but sold way to early (i could have been a lot more rich off it.)

My BIGGEST question is HOW did you buy it. Did you use MtGox, and if so did you give a photocopy of your passport to comply with some rules? I was so afraid of identity fraud that I never got any coins by any means where I had to ID myself to buy them.

Also will you sell an of your coins? PM me if you are willing to do a person-to-person transaction via paypal or something. This topic fascinates me!

I sent passport ID to Bitstamp.

As 'money transmitting' services it's in their interest to comply with FED regulations or risk getting their accounts frozen coupled with a seize and desist order. This means enforcing KYC (know your customer) and AML (anti money laundering) in order to comply. The Chinese government have just asked Digital currency exchanges to do the same thing.

In other news:

Bitcoin is the Future, Not NFC, Says PayPal President David Marcus

Swiss Lawmakers Propose Treating Bitcoin as Foreign Currency

Last edited:

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
Great reply. Kudos to your for being bold. With all the ID fraud going on these days I could never get myself to give out my ID to a less than established online bitcoin broker.

I got some alt coins on ebay using paypal , and from a friend. PM me if you are interested in selling any of your alt coins directly.

D

DeletedUser12

I speculated with just a little bit of money (Coinbase let's you buy in at 0.1 Bitcoin, so about $90 today). So I've been buying a few tenths here and there, starting at when BTC was at $350. Total amount in was only $325. I bought and hold mainly GoldCoins.

My logic was simple, to buy an altcoin that seemed like it had potential and was at a few cents a coin. If this coin goes up to a few dollars in value, then the upside potential is huge. If it all goes down to zero, get's hacked and stolen, whatever, total loss is $325.

Plus trading is fun I might add, if you enjoy that type of stuff. Sometimes there's differences for the buy and sell price between the markets (Cryptsy vs Coinex.pw) and you transfer coins between the two and try and make some more coins.

Current value of what I hold is around $2,225, not bad for a few weeks of time.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Great reply. Kudos to your for being bold. With all the ID fraud going on these days I could never get myself to give out my ID to a less than established online bitcoin broker.

I got some alt coins on ebay using paypal , and from a friend. PM me if you are interested in selling any of your alt coins directly.

Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I sold over $10K worth of Goldcoins via paypal and they limited my account.

I transferred my money before it got limited but I'm still in the middle of providing them with tracking numbers etc, so my Paypal is not working atm.

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I sold over $10K worth of Goldcoins via paypal and they limited my account.

I transferred my money before it got limited but I'm still in the middle of providing them with tracking numbers etc, so my Paypal is not working atm.

Understood. Same goes for anybody else. Right know I am holding Quarkcoin and it has been doing VERY well. I should man up and STAY IN for a while this time, last time i had 200% profits so i got out. Because, my experience with the stock market tells me 200% is a VERY GOOD return, who know bitcoin would go to $1000!

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
Pop,

Does the identification process worry you at all? I mean, my first thought is do I really want to give my passport photo to some offshore bank that may disappear sometime in the future ... Or , will you take a local trade (in person) or use bank gift cards or paypal to get into the market?

For me , the barrier to entry is what is keeping bitcoin so low. If the average person could buy a bitcoin it would be 10,000 dollars per cpin by now because with all the media coverage, everybody would buy one or two.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
This is my tip for playing Quark.

Hold until the 19th/20th December. There will be a MASSIVE spike as Max Keiser and Bill Still pump the hell out of it on National Television - RT - 19/12/2013

Speculation will rocket the price up: a 4000% rise is not out of the question.

You need to get out before it hits the top. Set your target and SELL.

IT WILL CRASH after, might be in 24hrs maybe more.

Take your profit before it crashes and buy back in as it bottoms out.

Using this method there is a very strong chance of being able to buy back your original holdings whilst transferring real $ into your bank account.

THIS IS JUST MY OWN SPECULATION AND THERE IS NO WAY I CAN GUARANTEE THIS OUTCOME.

IF YOU WANT TO FOLLOW THIS PLAN ONLY DO IT WITH MONEY YOU CAN LOSE AND DO NOT HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE IF IT DOES NOT WORK OUT.

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013
I have yet another problem though, when my Quarkcoins go up 4000% I am unsure how I will sell them. For now they are just sitting in my wallet.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-1-BITCOIN...4058434?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item338889b5c2

Here is .1 BTC (with an upcharge) You can use paypal to get it. That way no bank account info or photo ID is sent to the broker. I may be paranoid, but this is the only way I felt comfortable given the rampant ID fraud these days.

I would not purchase this way, you are paying 50% more than the current market price.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I have yet another problem though, when my Quarkcoins go up 4000% I am unsure how I will sell them. For now they are just sitting in my wallet.

You need to open an account at Cryptsy.com

No ID is required ATM because they do not allow you to depose fiat, although that service is going to be introduced.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Anthony Mitoli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Dec 1, 2013

MJ has a real point by "just leaving this here." ;) Bitcoins and for that matter dollars are not inherently worth anything in terms of hoarding and waiting (esp dollars due to inflation.) I see speculative plays like alt currencies as small, potentially nice "wins." This however, is NOT fastlane as it is not sustainable long term. If anybody here has read Nasim Taleb you might want to look at alt currencies as "barbelling" (aka looking for black swans with a small negative downside and a large upside.) In the end, this is not why we all came to this forum. Bitcoin is a speculative dream like say the OTC markets but in the end if we win it is because somebody loses. This is not at all like the idea of CREATING VALUE for customers which is what MJ did with his limo service as described in the book. So, perhaps for now we should label these currencies as a bit of a distraction more than a future plan. You cannot grow the economy or improve the world with a trade, you can with a business.

MJ made the point in his book that selfish business models eventually fail. So far I have yet to come up with a truly selfless business concept, which is likely why nothing I have done has earned me more than gas money except for my "hours for money" work where I provide valuable IT services.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
It is true that.....

Businesses are built around fiat currencies such as the dollar. The dollar is also traded against other fiat money on the Forex markets. Trading currencies does not hurt the economy.

Businesses are built around digital currencies; which is encouraging growth in NEW AREAS. Digital currencies are traded against other digital currencies and also against fiat by speculators. This is stimulating growth in new areas.

People who bought Bitcoin at the top of the crash in April had to wait until late October to see the value of their Bitcoins return, but it returned.

Digital currencies will grow and evolve. The fact that they are (on the whole) deflationary and finite meaning the longer you hold (some of) them, the greater their value becomes. People/Governments cannot print digital currencies like the FED prints dollars. Printing money decreases the value of your holdings ever single day. Digital currencies are the solution to this problem and as they become more and more mainstream their value will stabalize and the WILD speculation plays will become similar to the current less volatile FOREX platforms.

Plus 500 is a well known Forex trading site. Do you know what the most traded currency is?

Bitcoin.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
It is true that.....

Businesses are built around fiat currencies such as the dollar. The dollar is also traded against other fiat money on the Forex markets. Trading currencies does not hurt the economy.

Businesses are built around digital currencies; which is encouraging growth in NEW AREAS. Digital currencies are traded against other digital currencies and also against fiat by speculators. This is stimulating growth in new areas.

People who bought Bitcoin at the top of the crash in April had to wait until late October to see the value of their Bitcoins return, but it returned.

Digital currencies will grow and evolve. The fact that they are (on the whole) deflationary and finite meaning the longer you hold (some of) them, the greater their value becomes. People/Governments cannot print digital currencies like the FED prints dollars. Printing money decreases the value of your holdings ever single day. Digital currencies are the solution to this problem and as they become more and more mainstream their value will stabalize and the WILD speculation plays will become similar to the current less volatile FOREX platforms.

Plus 500 is a well known Forex trading site. Do you know what the most traded currency is?

Bitcoin.

Just as the FED can print more money, bitcoins can be seperated into smaller amounts right? That's only assuming bitcoin is the only coin out there too (I think there's 40 something?). I may be ignorant on this aspect but who knows. For BTC to be mainstream, they would have to be accepted by the free markets, just as gold and other metals have been accepted over centuries of trial and error by the world. Basically, BTC CAN be the new "MONEY" but it would have to be accepted simultaneously by everyone as the "staple" or "base" of VALUE. I see no problem in making the money in BTC and other coins as it rises and falls, but I do see trouble when a person decides to put their 401k into bitcoins you know what I mean? It's just not at that stage yet.

Also, do you mean Plus500.com? I'd have to disagree with that. BTC is not easily offered across reliable brokers. Also, BTC is traded more than the dollar? Single banks and hedge funds risk 50 million on different currencies easily to make rewards of 30k within a few minutes. I don't doubt that BTC has potential to be a game changer, but I HIGHLY doubt it is traded more than the world's major currencies. I see that around 50% of BTC is traded using the dollar. The highest volume traded on the BTC seems to be about half a billion sometime around late November(correct me if I'm wrong). 500 million to the volume traded on a single major currency in a single day is real tiny compared to the volume market makers move in the FOREX market.

That link is real fun to watch. Definitely interesting. China was behind the US in buying BTC so it's a good visual representation :) It'd be cool to see one from where you live bounce after you buy a BTC haha.

Who knows, I might be trading a litecoin against a bitcoin in the forex market in 5yrs haha.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I'm still watching the live BTC transactions. China's really goin at it. This is like watching Horse racing lmao.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Just as the FED can print more money, bitcoins can be seperated into smaller amounts right? That's only assuming bitcoin is the only coin out there too (I think there's 40 something?). I may be ignorant on this aspect but who knows. For BTC to be mainstream, they would have to be accepted by the free markets, just as gold and other metals have been accepted over centuries of trial and error by the world. Basically, BTC CAN be the new "MONEY" but it would have to be accepted simultaneously by everyone as the "staple" or "base" of VALUE. I see no problem in making the money in BTC and other coins as it rises and falls, but I do see trouble when a person decides to put their 401k into bitcoins you know what I mean? It's just not at that stage yet.

Also, do you mean Plus500.com? I'd have to disagree with that. BTC is not easily offered across reliable brokers. Also, BTC is traded more than the dollar? Single banks and hedge funds risk 50 million on different currencies easily to make rewards of 30k within a few minutes. I don't doubt that BTC has potential to be a game changer, but I HIGHLY doubt it is traded more than the world's major currencies. I see that around 50% of BTC is traded using the dollar. The highest volume traded on the BTC seems to be about half a billion sometime around late November(correct me if I'm wrong). 500 million to the volume traded on a single major currency in a single day is real tiny compared to the volume market makers move in the FOREX market.

That link is real fun to watch. Definitely interesting. China was behind the US in buying BTC so it's a good visual representation :) It'd be cool to see one from where you live bounce after you buy a BTC haha.

Who knows, I might be trading a litecoin against a bitcoin in the forex market in 5yrs haha.

In truth, it was the most traded commodity; it is not legally classified as a currency yet.

http://imgur.com/UC9qTUP

And yes soon you will be able to trade Litecoin against Bitcoin at Plus500.com

http://forexmagnates.com/plus-500-bites-the-virtual-currency-bullet-launches-litecoin-trading/

Bitcoins are finite. Only 21,000,000 Bitcoins will and can ever exist. The fact that they can be divided into 100,000,000 units each (1 unit is called a Satoshi) just makes owning 1 BTC all the more attractive because over time it must increase in value as the transactional rate increases.

Bitcoins increase in value over time, the dollar decreases. FACT.

To understand how existing currency, such as the dollar, loses it's value over time; the link to the video below is a real eye opener to a problem that you may not be aware of.

Quote: "You are about to learn one of the biggest secrets in the history of the world... it's a secret that has huge effects for everyone who lives on this planet. Most people can feel deep down that something isn't quite right with the world economy, but few know what it is.

Gone are the days where a family can survive on just one paycheck... every day it seems that things are more and more out of control, yet only one in a million understand why. You are about to discover the system that is ultimately responsible for most of the inequality in our world today.

The powers that be DO NOT want you to know about this, as this system is what has kept them at the top of the financial food-chain for the last 100 years.

Learning this will change your life, because it will change the choices that you make. If enough people learn it, it will change the world... because it will change the system .

For this is the biggest Hidden Secret Of Money.

Never in human history have so many been plundered by so few, and it's all accomplished through this... The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind."

>>>>>>>>>>>>The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind - Money Secrets<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bitcoin and other similar digital currencies are the antidote to the problem of excessive inflation seen in debt based economies! Make sure to watch the video above and find out why!

Last edited:

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I'm sorry it was the most traded commodity (it is not legally classified as a currency yet).

http://imgur.com/UC9qTUP

And yes soon you will be able to trade Litecoin against Bitcoin at Plus500.com

http://forexmagnates.com/plus-500-bites-the-virtual-currency-bullet-launches-litecoin-trading/

Bitcoins are finite. Only 21,000,000 Bitcoins will and can ever exist. The fact that they can be divided into 100,000,000 units each (1 unit is called a Satoshi) just makes owning 1 BTC all the more attractive because over time it must increase in value as the transactional rate increases.

Bitcoins increase in value over time, the dollar decreases. FACT.

To understand how existing currency, such as the dollar, loses it's value over time; this video is a real eye opener.

The Biggest Scam In The History Of Mankind - Money Secrets

Bitcoin and other similar digital currencies are the antidote to the problem!

I've seen this video. He does not view bitcoins in the same category as "money" unless/until the Free Markets choose to do so. Dollars have been decreasing in value not just because of how much we print, but because other countries have been sending dollars back to us. I believe a month ago, Australia has asked for gold in place of their holdings of dollars. Technically it's the same "value" but it increases the amount of dollars flowing in JUST the US. China and (I believe) Japan have been doing transactions without the dollar as the middle man as well. So the dollar decreasing in value (to other countries as the base)? Yes. BTC increasing? Too early to tell, which is why everyone's calling it an experiment I'm guessing.

The dollar according to him is at the end or change of the 20-30yr monetary cycle, but this will remain the same for bitcoin in his terms of "currency" if the world does not choose BTC or any other cryptocurrency through trial and error. It's like I said in my other post, the free market has to choose BTC in order for it to be the "base". I have no problem with that if the world chooses to appoint BTC or other coins as the new monetary system. I just wouldn't call it a fact because it might take 5 years, it might take 50 years, or it might not happen. The only fact is that gold and perhaps silver have been in an incline since the 1960's, when they announced the Bretton Woods Fixed Gold price that was presented in that video. It's hard to beat something that's been the go to store of value for half a century. There is enough historical information to say so. BTC has indeed gone up and trucked through prices. But it has little history to back it up, hence the experiment.

http://goldratefortoday.org/gold-charts-rates-prices/

I'm sure that the BTC's can be broken down with more emphasis on the Satoshi's but I also do understand that this would be like asking shareholders of a stock to dilute their shares, which obviously is not what they want. UNFORTUNATELY, this does and has happened. So lot's of uncertainty.

I'm very neutral on this and since I trade forex, I'll probably look to buy on a hard dip :)

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I've seen this video. He does not view bitcoins in the same category as "money" unless/until the Free Markets choose to do so. Dollars have been decreasing in value not just because of how much we print, but because other countries have been sending dollars back to us. I believe a month ago, Australia has asked for gold in place of their holdings of dollars. Technically it's the same "value" but it increases the amount of dollars flowing in JUST the US. China and (I believe) Japan have been doing transactions without the dollar as the middle man as well. So the dollar decreasing in value (to other countries as the base)? Yes. BTC increasing? Too early to tell, which is why everyone's calling it an experiment I'm guessing.

The dollar according to him is at the end or change of the 20-30yr monetary cycle, but this will remain the same for bitcoin in his terms of "currency" if the world does not choose BTC or any other cryptocurrency through trial and error. It's like I said in my other post, the free market has to choose BTC in order for it to be the "base". I have no problem with that if the world chooses to appoint BTC or other coins as the new monetary system. I just wouldn't call it a fact because it might take 5 years, it might take 50 years, or it might not happen. The only fact is that gold and perhaps silver have been in an incline since the 1960's, when they announced the Bretton Woods Fixed Gold price that was presented in that video. It's hard to beat something that's been the go to store of value for half a century. There is enough historical information to say so. BTC has indeed gone up and trucked through prices. But it has little history to back it up, hence the experiment.

http://goldratefortoday.org/gold-charts-rates-prices/

I'm sure that the BTC's can be broken down with more emphasis on the Satoshi's but I also do understand that this would be like asking shareholders of a stock to dilute their shares, which obviously is not what they want. UNFORTUNATELY, this does and has happened. So lot's of uncertainty.

I'm very neutral on this and since I trade forex, I'll probably look to buy on a hard dip :)

There has recently been a pattern of dips occurring at the weekends ;)

I totally believe in buying Gold for use as a store of value. If I'm fortunate enough to continue profiting via cryptos then I'll be sure to place some of that increased value into physical Gold for safe keepings.

Perhaps this example will help you to understand why Bitcoins being broken down does not affect their value.

When you dilute stock you are generating more stocks.

Lets say you have 10 stocks at $1 each.

Then the 10 stocks rise to $10 each and they become diluted by a factor of 10.

Before Dilution.

The original 10 stocks valued at $10 each were worth $100.

After Dilution.

There are now 100 Stocks instead of 10; the 100 stocks are still worth $100 in total but now one stock is only worth $1 each!

The stock was diluted!

Bitcoin and other finite currencies DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

1 Bitcoin is ALWAYS 1 Bitcoin.

1 Satoshi is ALWAYS 1 Satoshi.

Running Bitcoin through the same example, you get the following outcome.

10 Bitcoins valued at $1 each

10 Bitcoins rise to a value of $10 each but they will now be split (they can't be diluted) into 10 parts.

Total value of 10 Bitcoins before being split = $100

Now there is 10 Bitcoins split into 10 parts = 10 parts of 10 bitcoins = 100 x 0.1 Bitcoins

So if 1 whole Bitcoin was worth $10 before being split into 10: 0.1 Bitcoin must be worth $1

You see the decimal place just moves to the right and the value of a whole Bitcoin stays the same.

Conclusion: Bitcoin cannot be diluted, only split. Shares can be diluted making 1 share less valuable.

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
There has recently been a pattern of dips occurring at the weekends ;)

I totally believe in buying Gold for use as a store of value. If I'm fortunate enough to continue profiting via cryptos then I'll be sure to place some of that increased value into physical Gold for safe keepings.

Perhaps this example will help you to understand why Bitcoins being broken down does not affect their value.

When you dilute stock you are generating more stocks.

Lets say you have 10 stocks at $1 each.

Then the 10 stocks rise to $10 each and they become diluted by a factor of 10.

Before Dilution.

The original 10 stocks valued at $10 each were worth $100.

After Dilution.

There are now 100 Stocks instead of 10; the 100 stocks are still worth $100 in total but now one stock is only worth $1 each!

The stock was diluted!

Bitcoin and other finite currencies DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

1 Bitcoin is ALWAYS 1 Bitcoin.

1 Satoshi is ALWAYS 1 Satoshi.

Running Bitcoin through the same example, you get the following outcome.

10 Bitcoins valued at $1 each

10 Bitcoins rise to a value of $10 each but they will now be split (they can't be diluted) into 10 parts.

Total value of 10 Bitcoins before being split = $100

Now there is 10 Bitcoins split into 10 parts = 10 parts of 10 bitcoins = 100 x 0.1 Bitcoins

So if 1 whole Bitcoin was worth $10 before being split into 10: 0.1 Bitcoin must be worth $1

You see the decimal place just moves to the right and the value of a whole Bitcoin stays the same.

Conclusion: Bitcoin cannot be diluted, only split. Shares can be diluted making 1 share less valuable.

"One Bitcoin is divisible down to eight decimal places. There are really 2,099,999,997,690,000 (just over 2 quadrillion) maximum possible atomic units in the bitcoin system.

The value of "1 BTC" represents 100,000,000 of these. In other words, each is divisible by up to 10^8.

As the value of the unit of 1 BTC grows too large to be useful for day to day transactions, people can start dealing in smaller units, such as milli-bitcoins (mBTC) or micro-bitcoins (μBTC)." - Off of WIKI.

2 quadrillion is definitely limited. But 2 quadrillion is certainly a big a$$ number lmao. I'll be reading more on the tech side of it.

"SHA256 and ECDSA which are used in Bitcoin are well-known industry standard algorithms. SHA256 is endorsed and used by the US Government and is standardized (FIPS180-3 Secure Hash Standard). If you believe that these algorithms are untrustworthy then you should not trust Bitcoin, credit card transactions or any type of electronic bank transfer. Bitcoin has a sound basis in well understood cryptography."

This is also worth looking into I'd think, because a lot of people do not trust credit card transactions hahaha.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
When you get into Bitcoin one of the first concerns is security.

You then discover just how secure your public key is (equivalent of account number).

Here is one of my public keys:

15DsPbMWcW9F96tUGErZLbrhEw3GpSubgR

You can check out transactions here https://blockchain.info/address/15DsPbMWcW9F96tUGErZLbrhEw3GpSubgR

To access the funds stored at the public key address you need the private key.

The private key is alpha numeric and is comprised of 64 characters.

Meaning there are 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 different possibilities to find the private key. Seriously, that is a one followed by 77 zeros!

Is it possible to hack a public key by brute force?

Lets put it this way.

It would take approximately 1 million of the worlds fastest computers, 1 million years to have a chance at brut forcing the private key from a public key.

For now the only weak spot in Bitcoins security are people.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Shuffle

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Nov 8, 2011
Manhasset, NY
I'll definitely read more about it.

There's a saying that goes "everyones a genius in a bull market". Not saying it's wrong, just be careful. Thanks for the info :)

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
I'll definitely read more about it.

There's a saying that goes "everyones a genius in a bull market". Not saying it's wrong, just be careful. Thanks for the info :)

I like that saying and I will BEAR it in mind! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.