The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Creating a Successful YouTube Channel in the Business/Finance Niche

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
It has been far too long since I have made an update - so the last 6 months have been really great.

I am still doing Youtube and now have a subscriber base of just under 35k subscribers, my channel has gotten just about 2 million views this year and over the last few months, I have started posting daily videos.

Currently, I have a few brand deals and have a few really exciting opportunities in the works that really were only possible from this YouTube channel.

As of now, I am focusing on how to grow this even more in 2021 and how to spin this off into multiple revenue streams. Here are my updated analytics below:

With brand deals and sponsorships I should hit just about $40k in total revenue for 2020.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 1.03.02 PM.png

Andy Black

Making a nuisance of himself on Twitter
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It has been far too long since I have made an update - so the last 6 months have been really great.

I am still doing Youtube and now have a subscriber base of just under 35k subscribers, my channel has gotten just about 2 million views this year and over the last few months, I have started posting daily videos.

Currently, I have a few brand deals and have a few really exciting opportunities in the works that really were only possible from this YouTube channel.

As of now, I am focusing on how to grow this even more in 2021 and how to spin this off into multiple revenue streams. Here are my updated analytics below:

With brand deals and sponsorships I should hit just about $40k in total revenue for 2020.

View attachment 35871
Well done Aubrey. I just checked out the start of your latest video. You present very well. Good work.

Marked Notable. What's your biggest learnings this year? What's your plans for next year?

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
Super solid work, @AubreyJ. I respect putting out content so consistently.

My YouTube channel was recently randomly banned for an unknown reason ("community guidelines"). They rejected my appeal and the channel is forever gone (a few years old, roughly 30-40k subscribers, making at most $100/month from ads). I didn't post anything on it for many months and never uploaded any controversial content so it was really random.

What is your plan to protect yourself against a similar scenario?

It seems to me that YouTube is very erratic and happy to ban people for no reason. I wouldn't be comfortable building a business on such a platform.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Well done Aubrey. I just checked out the start of your latest video. You present very well. Good work.

Marked Notable. What's your biggest learnings this year? What's your plans for next year?

Thanks Andy! My biggest learning lesson has for sure been to just stick to it and continue trying to improve - I think that with Youtube (but really any business venture) it can be tough because you have a specific vision of what you want to do and it can be really easy to try to get ahead of yourself and/or even get discouraged by your progress in comparison to other people. I've been trying to really put a focus on just staying focused on what I can control, how I can improve every day and every week, and try not to pay attention to anything else. It's been helpful taking this approach.

I have a ton of plans for next year that I am super pumped about - I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I have a business doing peer-to-peer car sharing with a fleet of 12 cars. I am currently working on a course that I am going to sell walking people through the process of managing a passive fleet in peer-to-peer car sharing.

I am making the dive into real estate investing and will be 1-2 properties this year, which will be documented on this channel.

I have a lot of ideas on how to monetize my current reach, from creating courses on income streams to growing the YouTube channel...etc

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX

My YouTube channel was recently randomly banned for an unknown reason ("community guidelines"). They rejected my appeal and the channel is forever gone (a few years old, roughly 30-40k subscribers, making at most $100/month from ads). I didn't post anything on it for many months and never uploaded any controversial content so it was really random.

It seems to me that YouTube is very erratic and happy to ban people for no reason. I wouldn't be comfortable building a business on such a platform.

Wow, that is very interesting. I have heard of similar things happening but never under this sort of circumstance.

My goal is to be able to create a revenue stream that is in connection to YouTube but not solely on YouTube (Of course YouTube revenue is a bonus), So ultimately I would like to be active across several platforms including YouTube, Patreon, and more.

But, this is certainly a fear of mine. I have been actively trying to solidify myself as a "safe" YouTube figure (this was at the advice of a fairly large finance YouTuber)- I want to build a reputation of being transparent, honest, and trustworthy and I hope that sort of reputation (if I ever get big enough to have a reputation) would help.

But other than that to be honest I don't know if there is a whole lot I could do. It certainly is something I have thought about, but not something I have a ton of concerns about. I think the risk vs. reward in this situation is worth proceeding even if the potential of getting banned is there.

StarVoyager

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 3, 2020
Missouri, USA

Oh wow! @MTF What kind of channel was it?

This is the same scenario I had when I was building affiliate sites with Amazon several years ago. I had been building niche sites and they pulled the affiliate program from our state. Boom, money gone. And of course, I'm sitting here now with the same situation, but a different part of Amazon. I know better but I haven't figured out yet how I want to expand into something that is profitable at my age.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Jul 1, 2019
Well done, just saw this thread. You had a q2 goal of 500 subs and now have 35k o.o.

personal finance has epic CPM

Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Wow, it's been almost a year since I started this thread and it's been crazy to see where things have been going!

So, as we sit here today March 30th, 2021 - The channel is at 58k subs, and I am averaging about 250k views per month posting videos every day. As of now, the channel makes about $5k-8k per month depending on what the view count is (The last 3 months it's averaged between $7k-$11k)

Over the last few months I have been trying to brainstorm ideas on how I can branch out this audience I have been fortunate enough to grow - and here is where I am at with this effort:

Car Sharing Course: On January 1st I launched a car-sharing course walking users through the process of starting a car-sharing business (Car sharing is the original reason why I started YouTube and it's something I've really been deep into over the last 3+ years). This course has brought in about $3k per month since launching in January. Because of the success of this course, I will be creating more this year.

Patreon: For those of you who are not familiar with Patreon, it's sort of like a YouTube channel behind a paywall - my plan here is to create content that wouldn't do well on YouTube - things like breaking down my investments, diving deep into the numbers but also providing resources for my audience, things like Business plan templates, P&L templates, downloadable resources and more. I am currently building out the downloadable resources, but plan to launch this next month. It will be a subscription of between $5-$10 per month, I will keep y'all posted on how this does.

Second Channel: My Youtube channel I currently have has turned into something I didn't really initially intend for it to be, though I am super happy with it. My original intention was to create a channel documenting what I do on a day-to-day basis to grow my wealth, more like a combination of education videos/vlog style content. Showing what I am doing rather than just talking about it. Well, my channel gained steam with news-related content, and because of this, I no longer feel like it makes sense to post vlog-style videos on this channel. So, I will be creating a second channel to do this - this will be for people who are looking for more entertainment and education rather than the purely informative videos I have now. This will be launching sometime in Q3.

Podcast - I am starting the beginning phase of starting a podcast...more on this later

All in all with YouTube and the branches of income that come from YouTube (Adsense, Affiliates, Course Sales, sponsorships..e.tc) The channel brings in about $15k-$20k per month, which is quite honestly more than I could have ever imagined. This, plus my other revenue streams (consulting & car sharing) I should pass $30k for the month of March which is crazy.

Can't thank this community enough for the support over the years, if it wasn't for this forum and the mindset that comes along with it, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
May 1, 2011
All in all with YouTube and the branches of income that come from YouTube (Adsense, Affiliates, Course Sales, sponsorships..e.tc) The channel brings in about $15k-$20k per month, which is quite honestly more than I could have ever imagined. This, plus my other revenue streams (consulting & car sharing) I should pass $30k for the month of March which is crazy.

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::oops::oops:

That's so awesome! Huge congratulations.

@MJ DeMarco, time for that GOLD tag. So deserved for Aubrey's incredible progress.

Aubrey, in your video How I Make $20,000 Per Month at 27 Years Old it's very easy to see how comfortable you are filming yourself and talking in front of the camera. That's a great skill in itself. Excellent execution. It's very inspiring.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Damn, how the hell did I miss this?

Subscribed! Congrats! GOLD!

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::oops::oops:

That's so awesome! Huge congratulations.

@MJ DeMarco, time for that GOLD tag. So deserved for Aubrey's incredible progress.

Aubrey, in your video How I Make $20,000 Per Month at 27 Years Old it's very easy to see how comfortable you are filming yourself and talking in front of the camera. That's a great skill in itself. Excellent execution. It's very inspiring.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind comment! I for sure have gotten more comfortable over the last year or so creating videos!

Damn, how the hell did I miss this?

Subscribed! Congrats! GOLD!

Thank you!

Antifragile

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 15, 2018
Vancouver, BC, Canada
@AubreyJ nicely done! Keep it up, you are a true entrepreneur. It is such a pleasure reading your story, I visited your YouTube channel too and you come off as humble, trustworthy and just a pleasure to listen to.

Wishing you massive success in Real Estate!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
@AubreyJ - are you still writing as a major focus, or is that in the past? Hobby?

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
@AubreyJ nicely done! Keep it up, you are a true entrepreneur. It is such a pleasure reading your story, I visited your YouTube channel too and you come off as humble, trustworthy and just a pleasure to listen to.

Wishing you massive success in Real Estate!

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

@AubreyJ - are you still writing as a major focus, or is that in the past? Hobby?

@MJ DeMarco No, not a ton, unfortunately. I am not a particularly strong writer, so it is something I am doing to get better at as a craft, but not a main focus as far as revenue streams go.

Alfie321

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Sep 29, 2016
Hey Aubrey it is great to see your progress, it was suggested to me to check out your thread since I'm doing basically the same, but mexican version. It's awesome you got so far in such a short period of time :)

Ramius

New Contributor
Jul 10, 2017
South Yorkshire, England
This is extremely inspiring stuff for the new YouTube creators. Congratulations on your hard work paying off, Aubrey! Your channel looks awesome, and I'm sure the only way is up for you!

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Yo! In 24 hours my Udemy courses go bye bye.. (for real this time) Gotta make way for...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hi Guys! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a part of Fox's Web School program. Though I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom