The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cover Design: Why I Drive Myself Nuts

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Must say I like 1A and to me it is very impressive!

The rules: "Keep it Simple" and "Perfection is somewhere in between" and a "Process usually tops out at 3 or the concept of 3's"

What I know for sure is keep the dollars (clutter) out of wording - and no slanting letters.

Like the thickness of the Title lettering! Also the black on blue. Easy on eyes and inviting.

Eyes go to title, car, and a thought provoking lyberinth, really like it! The sign is a non-obtrusive after thought!

Got to keep the car and it is the perfect color, the clean look of the whole lower cover says "CLASS" - again I like and would buy it.

None of the others in this post does it for me!

Note:

In my great art revelation, an associate is a painter and I have no talent (or at least never spent the time) and he paints all these paintings in his spare time. Some pretty good, some picasso like, and others. Sometimes he will paint them then go over them time and time again before finishing!

One of his great works (and it would have been his greatest without doubt) was an old boat with sails with rustic wood and waves crashing over the bow, it was dark at night with little visibility and the white water of the waves one of the brighter paints. This was in motion. Tony, by the way, had spent a few years on fishing boats and critical situations (probably gave him insight to soul). In my limited art world view this was the best painting I had ever seen, it elicited emotions and admiration by just looking at it. I had never experienced anything like this ever! It told a never ending story effortlessly. It was simple, elegant, brutal, moving, dangerous, and godlike and communicated what Tony could not communicate himself. I could go on and on - this was a revelation to me, I now look at all art differently instead of the cold business guy.

What happened? He kept refining it and lost it, HE F---G LOST IT!!!! Don't get me wrong it is still a great painting, but the spiritual nature was lost, he cannot reproduce it. The orginal came from the heart, its like making the perfect shot on the basketball court when you mind and body was operating in perfect sync (the zone). And this example does not even describe the full "GLORY" of the first draft!!

Do you think I am over doing this example?? Peck always stated - take the most dramatic road!

Your book is not a painting but your first seems to be wholeistic and hard to improve upon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I definitely like the idea behind Rawrs covers. Obviously it'd have to be more touched up but obviously he was just going for a quick mock up, so no worries.

The simplicity of Russ's is great, but if I was to see "No speed limit" on a book I'd almost be gauranteed to not even look at the subtitle. I'd think it was just about cars if it wasn't for being here.

GuestAcct-10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Nov 9, 2009
I'm not really sure if I'm allowed to post this here but ah well...

I'm not just trying to advertise my brother here but he's a graphic designer and I'm sure he could make a much better cover than that if you told him what you wanted included (no offence to your current graphic designer). Message me if you're interested.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I don't understand why you are targeting just 16-34yr old men. Why not women? Why are you designing the cover? You got money, why wouldn't you hire a graphics designer? Yeah, it's fun to do everything yourself, but why?

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
4A, except I would change two things:

1. Italicize "Fastlane".
2. Add lines in front of the word "Fastlane" to make it appear 'fast' (IOW, make it look like it is moving).

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Lamboman's covers are better, I like them lot more. With more editing it can be the thing you need.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I don't understand why you are targeting just 16-34yr old men. Why not women? Why are you designing the cover? You got money, why wouldn't you hire a graphics designer? Yeah, it's fun to do everything yourself, but why?

This is my interpretation: He's merely getting an idea for what he wants as a design. These are not close to final ones, more like sketches for an artist or a draft for an author. Just saying "make this" to someone without a firm understanding of where he wants the cover "to go" could most likely waste the artists time, and his. So, it's just a blueprint for the graphic designer to go off of.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

PhxMJ said:
Probably because I did these myself -- I'm an amateur. I wanted to have something to give to the designer to go off of.

You're not paying attention. I have hired a designer -- several. And while many here will recommend 99Designs, I'm not a fan of "spec" work and prefer to work with people who do book covers for a living. The young men is the primary target; obviously the book will have interest for all targets. Unfortunately, "fast" and "speed" and "lambos" naturally attract to that demography.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Another version. I'm not a graphic artist, but you can get the idea.

-Russ H.

Maybe I'm old skool, but this one appeals to me the most. Russ, have you considered a career in graphic design???

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Russ's covers will get the most "pick ups" at the bookstore. The cover will also look more impressive when you are on Oprah and she shows the book to her audience.

MJ, we should print out some covers and go hang out at Barne's and Nobles.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
The simplicity of Russ's is great, but if I was to see "No speed limit" on a book I'd almost be gauranteed to not even look at the subtitle. I'd think it was just about cars if it wasn't for being here.

Icy-

Remember- you're in a section of the bookstore with nothing but business or financial books. So you're thinking to yourself: "What will increase my business?" or "How do I retire?".

Keep that in mind and look at the 2 cover designs I did.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Maybe I'm old skool, but this one appeals to me the most. Russ, have you considered a career in graphic design???

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I just have fun doing the design work for my businesses. But I've studied graphic design for more than 20 years now, b/c it's something I use daily.

-Russ H.

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
Had a night to sleep on it, and have some follow up thoughts to my previous post.

The Road is essential to your cover and also that it is curved and not a straight line (more female than male) as most good art is circular (takes more work), even the dashboards in the best cars are usually circular rather than square.

A Road is also a global "linking" whether it is a street map, a US map, a space flight pattern, or even a Science of Global Growth for example "The Road Less Traveled" by M Scott Peck. The Road has big significance and communicates much from the picture.

The car is the most irreverent (if one could call it that) and kind of brings it down to earth. At the same time it is bright and clean, the combination of the road and car over a complex libernith choice implies it has direction and is "Smooth"

Smooth implies alot of talent and is a dangerous word, but the lybernith (cant spell) and the third dimension gives it an edge it needs. As mentioned the 1A is well balanced and has no turn-offs but makes you think of hidden and other meanings.

The Lambo lightens every thing up and brings the idea "down to earth" so it isn't so smooth (Not Bill Clinton smooth).

It is a bright sun shinny day with blue skies and the lambo is rising above all the pitfalls and riding over the top of the struggle below!!

Had to throw in these additional insights, as your cover flows better than my communicated insights.

This is also complemented by the forum which is simple in subject matter and has a conceptual lock on that framework of computers, business, and real estate (ie: conceptual information (computers) linking, business activity, and real estate positioning). Translating to conquering information communication, time, and space respectively. No other framework prioritizes and simplifys this proper direction in any other forum. The fastlane name has become synonomous with these priorities and is self perpetuating. The cover keeps it equally simple, keeps and actually enhances the credibility of the original idea.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Had a night to sleep on it, and have some follow up thoughts to my previous post.

The Road is essential to your cover and also that it is curved and not a straight line (more female than male) as most good art is circular (takes more work), even the dashboards in the best cars are usually circular rather than square.

A Road is also a global "linking" whether it is a street map, a US map, a space flight pattern, or even a Science of Global Growth for example "The Road Less Traveled" by M Scott Peck. The Road has big significance and communicates much from the picture.

The car is the most irreverent (if one could call it that) and kind of brings it down to earth. At the same time it is bright and clean, the combination of the road and car over a complex libernith choice implies it has direction and is "Smooth"

Smooth implies alot of talent and is a dangerous word, but the lybernith (cant spell) and the third dimension gives it an edge it needs. As mentioned the 1A is well balanced and has no turn-offs but makes you think of hidden and other meanings.

The Lambo lightens every thing up and brings the idea "down to earth" so it isn't so smooth (Not Bill Clinton smooth).

It is a bright sun shinny day with blue skies and the lambo is rising above all the pitfalls and riding over the top of the struggle below!!

Had to throw in these additional insights, as your cover flows better than my communicated insights.

This is also complemented by the forum which is simple in subject matter and has a conceptual lock on that framework of computers, business, and real estate (ie: conceptual information (computers) linking, business activity, and real estate positioning). Translating to conquering information communication, time, and space respectively. No other framework prioritizes and simplifys this proper direction in any other forum. The fastlane name has become synonymous with these priorities and is self perpetuating. The cover keeps it equally simple, keeps and actually enhances the credibility of the original idea.

Thank you, glad you see the point of the design.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thank you, glad you see the point of the design.

This is a really, really good point to bring this up.

What is the point of a cover?

Is it to tell you what's inside?

Is it to let you know about the author?

Is it to tell you where the book is going, or what it promises?

The answer is yes-- it could be any of these things.

But none of these is the most important.

The most important thing is to get the person to pick it up.

THAT is the point of a cover.

Once the person has the book in hand, you can get them w/the back cover. or the inside jacket notes.

But you need to get them to pick it up, first.

Same thing goes for website URLs: Short and simple is memorable. Easy to pass on by word of mouth, texting, or via email.

(just my opinion) :)

-Russ H.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
This is a really, really good point to bring this up.

What is the point of a cover?

Is it to tell you what's inside?

Is it to let you know about the author?

Is it to tell you where the book is going, or what it promises?

The answer is yes-- it could be any of these things.

But none of these is the most important.

The most important thing is to get the person to pick it up.

THAT is the point of a cover.

Once the person has the book in hand, you can get them w/the back cover. or the inside jacket notes.

But you need to get them to pick it up, first.

Got it!

coverfobigbookofbreasts.png

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Got it!

(image of large, hanging boobies)

I see that!

My only worry would be that, once someone had this book in hand, they might not ever read it (or even buy it, for that matter). :rolleyes:

Appealing to a purely visual audience does have its drawbacks (lower reading comprehension, distracted by pendulus, jiggly objects, pages sticking together, etc).

-Russ H.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
So MJ, did you come to any conclusions or any new ideas?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
no offense but these are pretty cheap looking IMO. This topic would be very important to me while im browsing in BORDERS but i would walk right past that. Dont put that sign in there it looks like you made it in paint.exe. I like the letters in green especially with the strike through lines that is the only thing i would keep. If you are going to include the lambo just put it in the fron corner bottom of the book, make it a close up of the hood, maybe with yourself standing next to it.

http://images.smh.com.au/ftsmh/ffximage/2009/02/26/ferrariscammermain_wideweb__470x408,2.jpg

if you stuffed that on the bottom left and used about 1/4 of the page i would just have to pick the book up, what is a young guy doing next to that car..that my dream. that type of scenario.

Smooth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2%
Mar 20, 2010
You need to post this project at 99designs.com. Give them as little requirements as possible in order to allow the "creative people" to be as creative as possible. Even a prize for as little as $200 would probably yield great results, although I would suggest $350+.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.