The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Convince me not to use WIX for Ecommerce

Marketing, social media, advertising

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
Happy 9:44pm EST Fastlaners -

Short version, I’m a couple of months out from a product launch, and about a year ago I began reserving domain names, social media pages, etc. For reasons I could only chalk up to ignorance, I have my domain hosted on WIX with their online store subscription, and the site is halfway built by myself. It will be a single product store for now, possibly add others later.

I see a lot of you using Shopify and I’m still learning how to set all of this up. I’ve been very engrossed in the development of said product up to this point, and now is the time to figure out what my best channels for moving it will be. I don’t get many search hits on WIX in this forum, perhaps for good reason.

Any of ya’ll using Wix, or should I kill it with fire and move to Shopify? I believe the biggest piece of my audience can be reached, directly and indirectly, on Facebook. My ignorant mind is leaning toward using my FB and IG pages heavily for engagement and redirecting to my website.
Instead of wondering if you should use Wix or not, try looking at who Wix is made for, and ask yourself if you fit that bill—spoiler alert: you probably don't.

Typically, platforms like Wix or SquareSpace tend to target an audience that couldn't otherwise afford a more tailored solution. They're almost like Yellow Pages 2.0, but that's a can of worms I'm not going to open here.

If it were me, I'd go with a solution that's built specifically for my needs. You should always go with the option that's built for you and properly fits your needs, not adjust your needs to fit the solution.

As mentioned earlier, do it right the first time.

Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Think about future proofing. Wix is "sort of" the equivalent of the old school Geocities/Lycos/Angelfire hosting solutions. It's certainly not built to grow or expand with your company.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Abandoned the Wix stuff, it still hosts my LLC site, but not the product. In the waiting period of “up to 20 days” according to wix for migration of my domain, they released the code so I could start up in Shopify. Building a page in Shopify is very different, in Wix you can start blank and add/drag/drop things anywhere on the page you want. Shopify is more structured, seem to need to know a little code if you want to freehand buttons and things around your pictures.

Thanks everyone for the opinions and feedback. Any tips/tricks on Shopify page creation are certainly appreciated, otherwise, the task is done and further emphasis to move away from Wix are wasted posts.

@mtnman - Couldn’t help it. Thanks for posting.

Happy Halloween everyone!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I agree, Wix and Weebly are not for selling on. Not good at all for selling things directly from.

I sure can't argue with these sites when it comes to bringing in paying customers via text/phone calls though. If Weebly is = to something like Geocities/Lycos/Angelfire, that means I could have brought in a few hundred million dollars of sales a year back in the day. Weebly has brought in a couple of million in sales in 2018. Will I take over the world once I learn Wordpress? I mean, if I do this good on Weebly, how can I not take over the world with Wordpress?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.