• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Convince me to Not Buy a Home

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by HelpAndProsper, May 15, 2018.

1. HelpAndProsper

HelpAndProsper Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $337
    I'm posting this as a way to FIGHT the urge to follow the herd!!!!

I don't want to follow the herd!!!

I'm tempted to buy my first house in Portsmouth, NH area because I love it there and it's beautiful. Here's the thing.....I know real estate in these hot markets has run up considerably the last few years....I feel I would probably be buying at the TOP of the market.

So it seems wise to wait until we have another crash/correction....Same thing with stock market. I think we're in another bubble waiting for a major correction.

I really want to live in a small house because I HATE hearing my neighbors through apartment/condo walls.

Should I try to find a house to rent for a while? Suck it up in another apartment in a new location while I build my business?

Any advice is appreciated!!

G-Man and Kak like this.
  2. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $19,834
    I can help... But I can only tell you what I would do if I we're in your shoes and why. The decision is totally up to you.

Tell us about you.

Do you have any kids? Wife? In process?

What do you currently do for a living?

How is business?

How would you be “buying” outright or loan?

How much would you have left after each of those? So much it won't even matter? Enough? Or cutting it close? I don't need specifics.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    PureA, Argue, Vigilante and 2 others like this.
  3. Maxboost

Maxboost Silver Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,054
    How does your cashflow situation change from renting to buying? If its the same I would buy, keep in mind maintenance, taxes, water bill, heat bills, etc...

jon.a likes this.
  4. topherea

topherea Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,013
    Why?

Kak likes this.
  5. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,326
    Rent a small house.
    Don't buy at the top of the market because of emotion.
    Perfect example of a first world problem.

WTF, Duane, RayAndré and 16 others like this.
  6. eliquid

eliquid ( Jason Brown ) Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $43,541
    My advice is a little different prob than most.

1. If you really have the money

&

2. If you really love the house and really want it

Why not just buy it?

I tend to find that if there is a violation of either of the two above, you get a conflict of what you should do. Sounds like you either really don't have the money, or really don't love it/want it.

When both of the above are true, people generally don't have an issue before hand because they have more than enough money and they really love/want it, so that cost ( if at top of market ) really isn't an issue for them.

My mother-in-law won't buy Starbucks coffee. She says it's too expensive and she doesn't like it. She would rather brew her own Folgers and save the $6 or so dollars.

Ok, cool.

I get it being expensive. She lives on social security. Maybe she doesn't like the taste, but Starbucks had to taste good to the majority of people. People don't spend $7 on horrible coffee and they do have a ton of options and diff coffees she could try.

I have more than enough money for a Venti and I really do like my Flat Whites from there. I find it no issue what-so-ever buying it even if it is $7 because I really want it and I have the money.

It bothers her. She doesn't have the money and she really doesn't want it.

I have the money and I want it. Therefor the price isn't an issue and I don't care.

I know coffee is a bit different than buying a home. However, I bought my home cash the same way with the same reasoning. I had the money and I wanted it, the market didn't make my choice for me.

Which one is the real issue for you? ( Don't answer it here ).

When you realize which one it is, you will know how to fix it.

Good luck.

Duane, vshetty.vs, splok and 10 others like this.
  7. jon.a

jon.a Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $78,326
    There's more than one way to be right.

8. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    thanks everyone!

More info:

I am single, but would like a marriage(again) and possibly kids at some point.

I have no debt.

I have a pension and investments providing a cash flow to where I am currently paying 2100.00 in rent and don't have to work. I live a debt free middle class lifestyle with an average, economical paid off car. I eat out when I want to, go to the gym etc. I don't live extravagantly.

I am willing to spend 100k as down payment if I choose to buy a place.

I hate noise inside apartment buildings and I'm sensitive to it(very good business idea I can elaborate on later....).

I work every day improving my coding/web development skills. I currently have a few clients where I do web dev/design for them.

I have several ideas to go Unscripted and one is in motion regarding helping therapists with tech support and helping them to market themselves.

I have some background in Affiliate marketing, email marketing, Google Adwords, etc. in past years.

I want to keep improving tech skills and business education so I can test out business ideas with websites/apps, etc.

9. Get Right

Get Right Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $28,650
  10. DavidK

DavidK Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $523
    Buy a home where you can rent out part of it, for example you can live in the basement while you're single and rent to a family upstairs. Then when you get married and have kids stop renting it out, best of both worlds...

Tommo and HelpAndProsper like this.
  11. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $165,092
    So if we make one assumption... that the value of your house will not go up or down in 15 years...

If you pay $300k today knowing that it will be worth $300k in 2033, how does this make you feel about buying this house?

GPM, vinylawesome, Mckenzie and 2 others like this.
  12. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    it makes me feel like I've probably lost money during that time in the form of taxes, repairs, interest on the mortgage....

although if I pay off the house eventually, that means my monthly cash flow increases because now I don't have a mortgage payment...

The argument is that I could just rent and keep investing money on the side into an index fund and do just as well as owning a house on average?

So I guess the main point to buying a home is just to enjoy the relative quiet compared to being in an apartment. I play drums too so owning a house could allow me to set up drums in the basement, etc. It's not really an investment unless I pay it off, which eliminates a major monthly bill.

Get Right, Kak and G-Man like this.
  13. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $165,092
    The argument I'd make is that you also see this as an investment and not merely a reason to live in a place away from neighbors.

If it was not an investment, I would argue that you could rent the home that you would buy and get the same benefits.

So as an investment you have to decide if it is a good investment.

Envision, vinylawesome, Kak and 2 others like this.
  14. G-Man

G-Man Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $9,853
    Sounds like you have your answer.

Break out the mortgage amortization calculator template on excel. In addition to the column for interest expense, add columns for estimated taxes/ home repairs/ insurance, etc. The goal is to get your precise monthly cash out, and what portion is pure expense vs. equity. For the sake of the exercise, we're assuming the value of the property doesn't change.

On another sheet, take your down payment and walk it out month to month on a 30 year schedule at a modest rate of return.

If there's a sizable delta in monthly cash out with either renting or buying, you can add that to either schedule to get a more accurate EV.

Now - look 10 years out. Compare the amount you have in home equity to the amount you have in the cash account that represents your downpayment with 10 years of interest. Is it substantial? Is it substantial enough to justify trading a liquid asset for an illiquid one? How much does it affect quality of life? Do you value stability or flexibility? Only you can answer those questions for your life.

15. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    When I do the 10 year calculations like you suggested, I have about 30k more in the account getting a modest 7% return in and index fund when compared to the equity I would have in a home 10 years out....

It's not that much of a difference in the grand scheme.

Renting a house where it's quiet, with a similar monthly payment, would probably be just as good of a situation financially and lifestyle-wise....

16. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    It seems the only way you really come out ahead with home ownership compared to investing in an index fund is if you pay the home off within 10 years or if you just buy a property of course in cash with no mortgage.

Otherwise, I would argue you'd make more money just throwing your money into an index fund every month.

LifestyleGem and Get Right like this.
  17. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $19,834
    Good posts @G-Man and @biophase y'all covered it.

Home buying isn't some crazy endeavor. It's just buying a home. I got a great deal on my home. It is worth way more today than I bought it for, but I haven't realized the appreciation. Meanwhile, I have to fix things that go wrong and keep up with property taxes and HOA crap... Meh. I'll be here for a while so it's fine. 6 to one half dozen to another.

UnrealCreative likes this.
  18. Mckenzie

Mckenzie Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $157
    THIS.

ZF Lee, Vigilante and Get Right like this.
  19. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    Please elaborate.....Become a realtor? That's the thing, I'm not sure the Unscripted Way really advises me to sign a 30 year mortgage.....I'm leaning towards renting for a year in this new city and practice more providing value to others , solving their problems, etc.

20. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,558
    Being familiar with the area, I have to ask are you working in Boston? If so, do you plan on commuting to to Boston from Portsmouth?

Money aside, that commute is a major time sink. And time being the only finite resource makes that decision and easy 'no' in my book. Are you comfortable with 3-4+ hours of commuting daily?

Never mind, I just read your post indicating that you aren't working.

21. HelpAndProsper

Rep Bank:
    $337
    Yeah, definitely would NEVER commute all the way to Boston. I work right now for myself as a freelancer web dev and learning to solve problems and provide value.

22. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    GREAT thread with a lot of terrific posts on both sides of the purchase debate!

I recommend that as your wise approach for now.

You might find you don't like the city long term.

You might find a particular neighborhood is wonderful.

You might find a band that splits the cost of rehearsal space where you can leave your drums set up. For a while my neighbor who plays drums asked if he could leave them set up in my spare room, where I had my keyboards, between our jam sessions, when I had a little more room for that than he did.

You might find the love of your life, and have a good reason to relocate to a place that's better for her, while you continue an online business from anywhere.

You might make great friends who'd like to rent the other half of a two-family home from you.

If becoming a homeowner is a great deal for you now, it would probably still be a great deal a year from now... with only the loss of one year's rent, but with a lot more certainty.

23. volodya

volodya New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    If you have to think this hard, you probably cannot afford the house you want, or don’t want it bad enough. It’s simple, people buy on emotion and then justify their action with “logic”. You’ve started this thread with a key bias “visibility bias”, you only want to hear why not to buy and “convince” yourself that it is a good idea. Guess what, you are already there - it is in the title!

I offer you something different entirely: make a decision and stop torturing yourself with “options”. There is one thing worse than wrong decision - no decision. Threads like this tend to do that, you’ll keep waiting for some flash of brilliance while renting and truly avoiding a decision, checking in here. I recommend you commit to your decision and only revisit when your personal situation changes.

LaraJF likes this.
  24. Thoelt53

Thoelt53 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,558
    And who are you?

25. RahKnee

RahKnee Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $344
    My 2 cents:

You can invest the money you would put into the house and likely make a bigger return in the long run. A house that you live in is a liability, not an asset.

HelpAndProsper likes this.