The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Competitor concern in a niche

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
At what point would a competitor put you off entering a niche?
I've been working on a particular niche for a few months now with samples back and forth but now that the time has come to place an order for products i'm reluctant to pull the trigger.

There are a couple of reasons for this, firstly the product is somewhat 'seasonal', although it will sell all year there's definitely a period of the year when you'll sell a lot more.
Secondly there is one main competitor on Amazon, and another who only sells via their website at a price point that's expensive.

It's the competitor on Amazon that's concerning me, they have over 700 reviews, the brand has featured on Shark Tank but more importantly the design of my product is very similar to their's.
It's difficult to differentiate between what i'm offering compared to them. In fact we're both using the same factory.

There's always going to be competition in business which i understand but it's the lack of USP that's worrying me. Would this be enough to prevent you from entering this niche if it was you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
What's your objective?

If you want to build a brand: why would you launch another me-too product (regardless of niche/competition).

If you're focused on quick money: what share of the market do you think you can corner? What will your margins be? If you multiply these, is this figure anywhere near what you're looking for?

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
What's your objective?

If you want to build a brand: why would you launch another me-too product (regardless of niche/competition).

If you're focused on quick money: what share of the market do you think you can corner? What will your margins be? If you multiply these, is this figure anywhere near what you're looking for?

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes the objective is to build a brand, and its the lack of 'individual identity' with the design that's preventing me from sending a skype message and ordering my first batch of products.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
So you want to build a brand.

Will you be dealing exclusively on amazon? If so: that's not really a brand. Design in itself is not a USP - unless you're Apple.

If you're looking at amazon as the main channel:
  • How big is the potential market (i.e. search volumes)
  • How many sales do your competitors do?
  • How big is the probability that you will be able to snatch some of the sales?
  • How are you planning on snatching sales?
  • How long did it take your competitors to get 700 reviews?
  • etc
Good article about this:
https://foreverjobless.com/my-4-step-process/

Megan Kay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Nov 27, 2018
Can you go back to the drawing board and find a way to differentiate yourself? Value adding? Different target market? How does it look on eBay? What other markets can you focus on instead of the ones already filled?

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
Having a single competitor is market validation not a reason for trepidation. It's a sign that people in this market want a product like yours to solve their problem.

That's far better than a product where you have to "educate the market"

If there is no way to differentiate your product from theirs, I'm a little confused on what you're doing.

Do they have any design patents? Because if they do, you're infringing.

If not, you need to find a way to stand out from the market.

You need a crystal clear answer to this question "Why should I buy from you instead of the other company?"

That answer will define your marketing strategy.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Having a single competitor is market validation not a reason for trepidation. It's a sign that people in this market want a product like yours to solve their problem.

That's far better than a product where you have to "educate the market"

If there is no way to differentiate your product from theirs, I'm a little confused on what you're doing.

Do they have any design patents? Because if they do, you're infringing.

If not, you need to find a way to stand out from the market.

You need a crystal clear answer to this question "Why should I buy from you instead of the other company?"

That answer will define your marketing strategy.

Yes i'm going to have to go back to the drawing board with this. Absolutely zero point in bringing out a very similar designed product.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
So you want to build a brand.

Will you be dealing exclusively on amazon? If so: that's not really a brand. Design in itself is not a USP - unless you're Apple.

If you're looking at amazon as the main channel:
  • How big is the potential market (i.e. search volumes)
  • How many sales do your competitors do?
  • How big is the probability that you will be able to snatch some of the sales?
  • How are you planning on snatching sales?
  • How long did it take your competitors to get 700 reviews?
  • etc
Good article about this:
https://foreverjobless.com/my-4-step-process/

No i don't want to sell just on Amazon. It has to be a brand that can be built to sell on various platforms, this is the reason why it's taken so long to decide. I don't just want to sell random products on Amazon.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.