The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Coming up with ideas or a niche for a business

TheControlVoice

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 3, 2018
Cypress, Texas
I've been in business for the past four years now and I'm not making the progress that I would like to. I believe that the main problem is that instead of running a true business, I actually just own my job.

Don't get me wrong. I'm making about $500k/year with my consulting. But the only reason I have chosen this profession is because I couldn't come up with anything else. So I went with the high paying skill I already had and ran with it.

I have always struggled with coming up with business ideas or a niche to be in. I've read book, watched videos and listened to podcasts trying to figure out how to go about the process of finding new ideas. In the end I always come up empty.

It seems like most of the material I find contains the same ideas. "Find something you're passionate about". Honestly, I don't have any passions. Then they say "solve problems in your industry since you know it best" I already do that. That's why I'm a consultant for the type of work I do. Then the rabbit hole leads down the path of affiliate marketing, content creation and drop shipping. Of which I have no interest in doing.

I guess I'm just curious on how others have successfully figured this out. I feel like I keep hitting a wall and I figured as a member of this forum, I should reach out to this great community and get some advice.

Thank in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've been in business for the past four years now and I'm not making the progress that I would like to. I believe that the main problem is that instead of running a true business, I actually just own my job.

Don't get me wrong. I'm making about $500k/year with my consulting. But the only reason I have chosen this profession is because I couldn't come up with anything else. So I went with the high paying skill I already had and ran with it.

I have always struggled with coming up with business ideas or a niche to be in. I've read book, watched videos and listened to podcasts trying to figure out how to go about the process of finding new ideas. In the end I always come up empty.

It seems like most of the material I find contains the same ideas. "Find something you're passionate about". Honestly, I don't have any passions. Then they say "solve problems in your industry since you know it best" I already do that. That's why I'm a consultant for the type of work I do. Then the rabbit hole leads down the path of affiliate marketing, content creation and drop shipping. Of which I have no interest in doing.

I guess I'm just curious on how others have successfully figured this out. I feel like I keep hitting a wall and I figured as a member of this forum, I should reach out to this great community and get some advice.

Thank in advance.
Good for you starting with a skill and getting to $500k/year being a hired gun.

Now can you “Grow what you know”?

What other ways can you help those you already serve, people similar to those you already serve, and people who can’t afford you?

Can you scale what you’re already doing with people, processes, or technology?

Can a different business model, offer, or package help you scale?

My business is based on my skill too. Here’s what I wrote about it:

Here’s a great video from MJ (ignore the bit about being broke!):

Edgar King

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
May 29, 2021

Perhaps give this a read to find a need you can solve-

If I were in your shoes, I'd use this method with your target market and find out where they need help with (especially since you should know them really well).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.