The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Checkout my Website...I need feedback

NCSF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 10, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping some of you could take the time to check out my website and give me some feedback. This is my first website that I have built (very apparent), and obviously looking to make it better. I built it using a Bigcommerce template. I plan on learning more about web design but needed to get something put up quick in the meantime. Again, I am looking for honest feedback, and ways to make it better. If you have anything constructive to add, I would greatly appreciate it.

Catch Big Bass - Best Topwater Fishing Lure in Existence

Scotty

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wendy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 1, 2013
Singapore
Erm the part about 12,000 testimonials... is it real? Cos my first reaction to it from a customer's point of view is skepticism.. no offence!!

Whiphsh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jan 10, 2013
Lithuania
Crappy pitch, to be honest.

You could use a good copywriter if you want to go that route... I wouldn't buy from any shop that pitches something, though.

In my opinion, you'd be better off providing quality information and have the items you're selling linked to it.

JustOneBreath

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 15, 2013
A few things that jump out at me:

-Image quality consistency.

When I'm clicking through your products, the changing format of your images is distracting. I'm guessing to populate the site quickly you snagged images form elsewhere so just take the time to make it your own. If these are products you have in your house/apartment/ect take pictures of them yourself, even if you just have an iPhone. Make sure theyre the same size, resolution and lighting conditions(Studio setups, soft box, backdrop ect, are actually not too expensive for smaller kits). The consistency of your product images will enable your users to compare products more easily.

-Red text White background.

Assuming you're trying to guide the attention to your users, try to avoid doing it the same why people in Nigera try to get your bank info. I'm with Wendy on the skepticism comment. The first thing that comes to mind when I see red font on white background.. "Oh look, really bad scam banner text". There's nothing wrong with using a black bar with the price in yellow. Use the same font as your header just smaller, make it your price not the price. However dont go overboard, those little price tags in that font are all you need, dont go changing everything you think is important to that font or it will lose its relevance.

The layout doesnt necesarily bother me, I just want to see more consistency between pages with respect to the center portion. You have to think about surfing your page like a good film. Consider the page changes like shot transitions, their framing and lighting can be different but still need to be smooth. The layout can be different but carrying things over from one page to the next. I think once you've nailed down the image library, your quick view will make a lot more sense. Right now some of the images are so small that its difficult to click the actuall image and get to the detail info.

The pitch is pretty weak but, I don't fish so by default I don't care. Regardless you can work on the pitch later. Though, if thats the route you want to take, make it front and center. A weak pitch in a weak position on the page only compounds the problem.

I don't mean to tear the site apart, but just felt like you were looking for maybe some more specific critique.

NCSF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks Everyone.

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for. Like I mentioned, this is my first website, and it can only get better from here! I completely agree with everything mentioned on here so far. It is a work in progress, and I will definitely work on all the things suggested. Please keep the comments coming...like I said, it won't hurt my feelings one bit. I want to make this the best I can, and look at your suggestions as building blocks to make it better!

tchandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 16, 2007
Kansas, for now
That's great on your first website. I know it took me a while looking at my first website to now. Of course there's always room for improvement. I think you need to have an about me or about the site. What's the intent of the site which leads to why would someone sign up for your newsletter. That's what came to me when I took a look at the website.

Tom

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
In my opinion, you'd be better off providing quality information and have the items you're selling linked to it.

I disagree. It's much harder to make money providing simply "quality information". I think you've got a good start. You have chosen a definite niche (i.e. you aren't trying to be everything to everyone). Of course, you've got some tweaking, but right now is too soon to say that you should scrap your idea.

My main observation was that I couldn't figure out how to buy anything! It wasn't intuitive to me, so you probably should include some links on that main homepage to your store... Basically, a "call to action."

Best of luck :)

McNandez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jan 3, 2013
My main observation was that I couldn't figure out how to buy anything!

That was my first thought too - I thought that maybe the "Order Online" was a link.

Also, I agree with tchandy, you need an About page.

So far, so good, though - I'm looking forward to seeing how you improve your site. Good luck!

davek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 6, 2013
Hey Scotty, congrats on the launch! I use shopify + stripe for my ecommerce needs.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Have you changed a thing on your site in the 5 days this thread has been up?

NCSF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 10, 2012
@ brycer9 - no not just an askhole, but appreciate the comment!

Anyways, I do appreciate all the feedback, and I was ready to take some hits about the way the site is setup. It is a work in progress as I stated, and being new to this and this being new to business in general, I am a little slower at figuring things out. In regards to finding a way to buy, I did take the advice and add the order button under our telephone number, as well as add some more information in regards to using our product.

It may be gimmicky to some or even a little skeptical, but as it has been mentioned, we are a niche market and so far the pitches have worked. Not saying that it doesn't need any polishing, because things will never be perfect. This is a product that has gained national attention in the fishing industry, and will be going back to national TV marketing in the next few weeks. Call it a gimmick or whatever you want, but for now its working for us. We have many repeat customer's, and a lot of our business is referral based.

In regards to the theme, this web building stuff is something that I am just not getting. I have sat here for a couple days, scratching my head, reading posts and articles, and for whatever reason just don't get it. I guess this is the reason there are professional site builders out there. My goal is to make the site the most presentable and workable now, and then towards the end of summer (our busy season) have the funding to get professional web design help.

Again, I appreciate all the feedback and please keep it coming.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It may be gimmicky to some or even a little skeptical, but as it has been mentioned, we are a niche market and so far the pitches have worked. Not saying that it doesn't need any polishing, because things will never be perfect. This is a product that has gained national attention in the fishing industry, and will be going back to national TV marketing in the next few weeks. Call it a gimmick or whatever you want, but for now its working for us. We have many repeat customer's, and a lot of our business is referral based.

Have you been getting sales yet from your site? Or have you been selling elsewhere?

In regards to the theme, this web building stuff is something that I am just not getting. I have sat here for a couple days, scratching my head, reading posts and articles, and for whatever reason just don't get it. I guess this is the reason there are professional site builders out there.

What is it you're having trouble with? There are several people here with experience with Bigcommerce and with that particular theme.

This is exactly the type of feedback I am looking for.

Another way to show your appreciation is to click that "Thanks/Like" link. It feels good to get those notifications :cool:

Speed+ for getting up a site and working to make improvements.

NCSF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 10, 2012
Product has been sold on the web in the past. A large majority of sales comes from TV, and being a vendor at different fishing tournaments. Trying to get a online presence built up and thus creating a new website. My biggest issue with the website and templates is being able to change the pre-designed templates. I would love to change and add a background full of our customers pictures, as well as add in a column on the right side for various things. Maybe it is just the template that I picked that I can't do that. Anyways, I apologize for the lack of followup, we have another commercial i was getting ready to air, that has taken up a lot of time. More updates will be made to the website this week. Slow and steady wins the race right?!?! Have a great weekend everyone!

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA
Would love to help you with the design and layout of the website. It would be best to make a site that is responsive meaning one version adapts to mobile, tablet, and desktop.

Would you be open to me making a graphic mock up of how I think the site would convert much better sales and posting it here ?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Would love to help you with the design and layout of the website. It would be best to make a site that is responsive meaning one version adapts to mobile, tablet, and desktop.

Would you be open to me making a graphic mock up of how I think the site would convert much better sales and posting it here ?

3r4w63.jpg

OXVO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jan 5, 2013
CT, USA

If I post the help I've done with 2 fast lane members that have connected with me online and offline via the forums does that make me spam ?

I've actually partnered with one of them and accepting a percentage on a total of sales.

I asked him if he didn't mind me presenting a graphical mock up of how his site would benefit from quality design.

I can see your point and coming to defend the community. I can assure you friend, spam I am not.

It would be interesting. So I posted my point of view and interest.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
If I post the help I've done with 2 fast lane members that have connected with me online and offline via the forums does that make me spam ?

I've actually partnered with one of them and accepting a percentage on a total of sales.

I asked him if he didn't mind me presenting a graphical mock up of how his site would benefit from quality design.

I can see your point and coming to defend the community. I can assure you friend, spam I am not.

It would be interesting. So I posted my point of view and interest.

Your skimming web design and other related work off of people on here, that's all you post about. If you did some of that as well as contributing some I could care less but it just seems like your here to pitch web help and sell people web design services.

(I have mentioned this before, I LOVE to sell but I absolutely HATE to be sold to)

I use this forum to learn from fellow entrepreneurs, not sell my wares to others even though I am in an industry that would sell very well here on the forum.

Edit: I'll leave it at that, I have to much work to do to start an argument, mods can look into your past posts and look at their content and decide for themselves. I hope you stay here don't get me wrong, I personally just don't appreciate seeing "contact me and I'll see what I can do" in every post

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.