The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
In our case, we let each client be in charge of their own hosting. We simply manage it for them.

It's their car. We just drive it for them. They have their own hosting/domain accounts, we have access to it.

I like SiteGround for hosting. Great tech support.

Not sure how to answer this one. Copywriting is always important, especially with a new website.

It depends on the client. We have photographers who provide everything. Then we also have dentists... so we use stock photos. There are a lot of sites like Pexels and Pixabay where you can get free stock photos.

Best of luck!!
By having the username and password to their hosting/domain account would be only way to have access to them? I ask because I am doing the same with my guys for them to build my website, but I have always been paranoid if they steal my account or change the passwords and I would no longer have access to it, is there a safer way or alternative?

So far copywriting and writing content, and ranking good numbers with the yoast plugin is something I been practicing myself. As far as learning copywriting, any books or videos or "gurus" you recommend to listen to. I know youtube is full of them, but i have found at times certain strategies seem to contradict themselves so then i find myself asking who to trust more?

You ever read "Junior: Writing your way ahead in advertising"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
By having the username and password to their hosting/domain account would be only way to have access to them? I ask because I am doing the same with my guys for them to build my website, but I have always been paranoid if they steal my account or change the passwords and I would no longer have access to it, is there a safer way or alternative?

I guess that depends on the trust level you have with your client. I've had my business for 11 years now. This is just what's worked well for us. With your business, you're free to do whatever feels comfortable.

For copy, I would look at Jim Edwards Copywriting Secrets. Haven't read the book you mention.

MonkyLee

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
550%
Oct 17, 2019
Michigan
Meant to write this sooner, but have been sweating on the details too much...

Got my first recurring client! Every day as I follow the checklist, I feel like I'm jumping off a cliff mentally, but nonetheless I'm doing my best to overcome these roadblocks as quickly as I keep creating them in my head. I've come to believe that anyone interested in getting started is really going to have to go through the same experience as well.

Your excused inaction and lack of confidence are your worst enemies.

I'm definitely not miles ahead of the competition by any means and still have a long way to go before I would have preferred to post about it here, but I've at least started my journey and hope that I can help others have the confidence to take the first step as well and to keep on going!

I'm an editor for a well-known YouTube channel in a growing niche, so I have grown to learn how important the marketing aspect of the channel is much more important than the actual video content alone. I simply began talking to people about how some people just don't really seem to be self-aware enough to market themselves online and simply expect online visitors to come in through pure luck alone, and I've had people I know approach me due to overhearing my conversations and becoming convinced that I am the right person for the job in helping them establish their online presence.

This was the only push I really needed to begin this business. If you simply do some research and get even remotely interested in marketing related endeavors, you will sound alot more knowledgeable than most people that deliberately try to be, and you might convince someone to let you handle their marketing bc they simply can't do it themselves. I've had two separate situations now where this has happened, and the people both times have said that "I know alot of people who could use similar help and I'd hook you up with alot of referrals if you did a great job". Your only obligation at this point is to then follow up with the words "I'll do it" and then deliver results. I made this sound easy, but you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to even say those words alone. I hesitated for 15 seconds before I could do it for a one-time client. I hesitated for 8 months before I could say it to my recurring client.

Act before you have time to overthink things.

Sure I could fail soon and this could have all been a waste of my time, but the fact remains that I actually did something and made more progress than anyone else thinking the same crap in their head.

Your interviews I found on YouTube played a big part in helping me to believe that I too could do this, so I'll link them here for anyone else who couldn't find them initially. I found these to be really helpful and def feel like they should be put on the spotlight for anyone trying to follow your advice:

Last edited:

quicksort

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 9, 2015
Meant to write this sooner, but have been sweating on the details too much...

Got my first recurring client! Every day as
This is encouraging.

I've been worried about whether I could really help anyone all this time, even though when I sit down and think about it, it seems doable, logically speaking. I even know three people who would be open to hiring me if I proved it would benefit them.

So thank you for sharing that. Makes me feel better about having to reached out to someone earlier today.

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
Hello!

Firstly, sorry for asking free information and "not" researching. I did all the research but Google is way to generic.
I am having this problem here.
Got a big client, at least for us. They need advertising - We will offer Facebook/Instagram, Youtube, AdWords and TikTok.
What is the smartest way pricing these things?
Our plan nr1 at the moment is - Just charge for every different platform monthly. 4 platforms - lets say 350 Euros a platform a month. Includes set-up, Analytics, Pixel, keywords, managing on the go and optimizing.
Or second one - 350 euros for setup for each platform and lets say 25€ a month for managing.

I know we should figure sh1t out ourselves. Just we dont want to F*ck this up, this may be a good jumping board for us. Due the fact, that this is a well-known business where I live.

Love
Aleks

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello!

Firstly, sorry for asking free information and "not" researching. I did all the research but Google is way to generic.
I am having this problem here.
Got a big client, at least for us. They need advertising - We will offer Facebook/Instagram, Youtube, AdWords and TikTok.
What is the smartest way pricing these things?
Our plan nr1 at the moment is - Just charge for every different platform monthly. 4 platforms - lets say 350 Euros a platform a month. Includes set-up, Analytics, Pixel, keywords, managing on the go and optimizing.
Or second one - 350 euros for setup for each platform and lets say 25€ a month for managing.

I know we should figure sh1t out ourselves. Just we dont want to f*ck this up, this may be a good jumping board for us. Due the fact, that this is a well-known business where I live.

Love
Aleks

No worries Aleks - happy to help.

You could price a la carte like that but I would offer three different packages - small, medium, and way big. Something like this:

€700 | €850 | €1450 a month

You need to change the actual numbers but hopefully you see the pattern? Small, a little bigger (with way more stuff) and then a really big one (price anchor).

Be sure to take a look online at competitors around you to get a feel for what others in your region with your target audience is doing.

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
No worries Aleks - happy to help.

You could price a la carte like that but I would offer three different packages - small, medium, and way big. Something like this:

€700 | €850 | €1450 a month

You need to change the actual numbers but hopefully you see the pattern? Small, a little bigger (with way more stuff) and then a really big one (price anchor).

Be sure to take a look online at competitors around you to get a feel for what others in your region with your target audience is doing.
Oh man, I am very greatful for that answer! That sounds ideal way to handle this situation!

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
This suggestion sounds very good and it will actually make sense in our approach!
Thank you very much! Such a value and thanks a lit man! I will let people know if it works well for future people!

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
Congrats @Sean Marshall for achieving your way to freedom! and thanks for sharing knowledge on the topic, I have just watched your udemy course, well if may I would have a few questions to you...

In two months I am moving to Mexico ( I have been living there already in the last two years) and.... I am about to start a marketing agency there, but... I have a few doubts about that... I am thinking to cooperate with some European company already specialized in marketing to guide me through the processes - so I got two possibilities 1) opening their branch or 2) my own agency and have them as a business partner.
-Well that's the first one - what do you think is better option?
I will have to register the company in Mexico or use my girlfriend's company at the beginning - I guess clients in Mexico need to see that I am operating there, if they would see the company is registered in Poland probably they would be suspicious about it and could be not interested in sending money to Polish account. Maybe I am way too much worried at the beginning but I will be starting from LOCAL businesses - so that's why I thought is necessary to plan beforehand.
-The second question - do you think I should register the company once I arrive there ? or maybe use my girlfriend's ( she is Mexican ) company to start with clients ?
I am also thinking about % of profits , if 50% would be fine for me or I should have more...
My idea is to find clients by myself ( I am fluent in Spanish but not perfect - this is something a little discouraging to me but will give my best - I hope it won't affect acquire new clients ) , and plan to send the work to business partner - or they simply guide me and I hire people in Mexico to do the work.
-Here comes another question - do you think is it better to hire people in Mexico to do the job or outsource it to business partner or maybe even like in Your case to some exotic country like Philippines ( the problem is I dont have enough experience so I couldn't write them what exactly they need to do )
- And another one is the profit % - 50% for me and 50% for business partner is it okay ( I find clients and do some work , business partner shares with me his system and do majority of the work ) ?

I will more than happy to get an advice from You
Regards,
Mike

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
-Well that's the first one - what do you think is better option?
I will have to register the company in Mexico or use my girlfriend's company at the beginning - I guess clients in Mexico need to see that I am operating there, if they would see the company is registered in Poland probably they would be suspicious about it and could be not interested in sending money to Polish account. Maybe I am way too much worried at the beginning but I will be starting from LOCAL businesses - so that's why I thought is necessary to plan beforehand.
-The second question - do you think I should register the company once I arrive there ? or maybe use my girlfriend's ( she is Mexican ) company to start with clients ?
I am also thinking about % of profits , if 50% would be fine for me or I should have more...
My idea is to find clients by myself ( I am fluent in Spanish but not perfect - this is something a little discouraging to me but will give my best - I hope it won't affect acquire new clients ) , and plan to send the work to business partner - or they simply guide me and I hire people in Mexico to do the work.
-Here comes another question - do you think is it better to hire people in Mexico to do the job or outsource it to business partner or maybe even like in Your case to some exotic country like Philippines ( the problem is I dont have enough experience so I couldn't write them what exactly they need to do )
- And another one is the profit % - 50% for me and 50% for business partner is it okay ( I find clients and do some work , business partner shares with me his system and do majority of the work ) ?

Hiya Mike,

First of all, I would avoid a business partner entirely. It's just not necessary. Second, I wouldn't open a branch for somebody else. You can do it all on your own. I mean, unless you basically want to be an employee, but that's not the point of this thread (or this forum for that matter). :)

As for the business, it depends on where you want to have it. If you want to earn money in Poland, then leave your business entity there. If you do business with Mexican clients, they just need a "factura" and you can give them that, regardless if your company is based in MX or not.

I think it's fine to hire people in Mexico IF you feel they can do the job. I never had any MX employees but I had a buddy on the island (Cozumel) who had an army of 20-somethings all doing the work.

You might consider living in MX but not necessarily getting MX businesses as clients. While they usually see the need, especially in touristy places, they don't always have the budget. I would look to work with US/UK/European clients.

Hope this helps!

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
Hiya Mike,

First of all, I would avoid a business partner entirely. It's just not necessary. Second, I wouldn't open a branch for somebody else. You can do it all on your own. I mean, unless you basically want to be an employee, but that's not the point of this thread (or this forum for that matter). :)

As for the business, it depends on where you want to have it. If you want to earn money in Poland, then leave your business entity there. If you do business with Mexican clients, they just need a "factura" and you can give them that, regardless if your company is based in MX or not.

I think it's fine to hire people in Mexico IF you feel they can do the job. I never had any MX employees but I had a buddy on the island (Cozumel) who had an army of 20-somethings all doing the work.

You might consider living in MX but not necessarily getting MX businesses as clients. While they usually see the need, especially in touristy places, they don't always have the budget. I would look to work with US/UK/European clients.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply @Sean Marshall ! I appreciate it
That was helpful, especially about system payment ( as I was talking with agencies they said to me that companies don't want to pay if they see the company is not "Mexican" - sth I won't worry anymore now )
My plan is to operate in the US market later as I believe more to get clients in a place where you live first and later expand. I like acquiring new clients by face-to-face meetings ( that will be my role to get clients and I plan to outsource the work ) so I will focus on LOCAL businesses and networking. I will I've in Monterrey Metropoly ( north of Mexico, 4 million people, 80 000 companies ). Maybe my belief that it can work in Mexico is blind and since the beginning, I should focus on the US market... but I believe that online presence is an everlasting need, so if there are tons of companies there I think they must have money to fulfill their need...
As you mentioned to better neglect cooperation with the agency - I will outsource it to someone from online job.ph or upwork. The problem is I won't be able to check if that person made high-quality work. So just wanted to ask you about it - let's say I just focus on social media at the beginning and I got a client for it and outsource it - how to check if my employee has done a proper job?

btw. if you are on Cozumel island really recommend you Tulum, Akumal beach, and Merida city to visit

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I will I've in Monterrey Metropoly

Monterrey is bigger and has more infrastructure, like Mexico City, than most of the rest of the country so they might see the need and have the budget more than elsewhere in the country. It doesn't hurt to try.

I have a handful of MX clients and they like that we're based in the US and not MX. But, it just depends on the business owner.

With the work, it will be your job to make sure it's getting done well, but that's fairly simple. Really inspect the work at the beginning and then as your trust in your VA grows, you can let them do their job.

Yes, I love Akumal and Tulum - used to anyway, before they got "discovered" :)

Muthembwa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 14, 2019
I've been meaning to write this post for a long time. It's basically the story of how I started a digital marketing agency to be able to do cool stuff. And I would like to give you a nice little checklist that you could use as well if it interests you.

I started my business in 2010. Since then, I reduced my own work load to less than 10 hours a month, lived in Mexico for 4 1/2 years, traveled to 15 countries, and am prepping to head to Scotland for 6 months in Sept - all together with my wife & 3 kids.

I cracked the code to scaling a service-based business using detailed systems (a fancy checklist on Asana) and a good team (all based in the Philippines).

I made $2,450 in my first month. Not crazy I know but it was a big deal for me just starting out. More importantly, that number increased every single month afterwards.

At about month 11 is when I read The Millionaire Fastlane and it completely changed how I viewed my business. I made a bunch of changes based on MJ's advice and started hitting 5 figure months about two months later.

DOES IT FOLLOW MJ'S COMMANDMENTS?

I need to mention that a digital marketing agency does NOT follow all of MJ's 5 business commandments. It breaks one - Barrier to Entry. Basically, anyone can do this. They really can.

BUT, that's also the catch - most people DON'T ACTUALLY EXECUTE! You can give them all the tools, step-by-step instructions, templates, etc and they still won't do anything. I know because I offer a course giving people literally everything they need and only a handful of people actually do the thing.

So in a way, the barrier to entry commandment is almost a non-issue. Besides, there's more than enough business out there.

With the other commandments (time, scale, control, & need), this kind of business passes with full marks.

MAKING $5K IN UNDER 90 DAYS

Why $5,000? Two reasons:
  1. It’s usually enough money for most people to quit their jobs to focus full time on the business
  2. It’s totally realistic & achievable
This is a number that most people can hit with some focused work. How fast you’re able to hit $5k is up to two things:
  1. Your Prices
  2. Your Hustle
Obviously, the more you sell, the more you’ll make. Keep in mind that some services typically cost more than others (for example: websites cost more than social media management)

Like I said, I made $2,450 in my first month. How did I make that money? I networked with people I already knew and got in touch with a few key business owners. I shook hands and spoke with everyone I knew.

Simply put, I hustled.

Hitting $5K in under 90 days is totally doable. I have students in my course that have done much more in less time.

WHAT IS AN ONLINE MARKETING AGENCY?

Before I give you a checklist, I have to answer, what is an online marketing agency?

There are a lot of names for this kind of business - internet marketing company, digital marketing agency, online marketing business, and more. They’re all the same thing.

In a nutshell, it’s a service-based business that manages the online marketing activities for companies of any size that are in need of growing their presence online – which is all of them.

This includes services like SEO, social media management, reputation management, website design, and more.

You can choose to focus in on just one branch of online marketing (like website design or SEO) or you can choose to do it all.

As the business owner, you’re responsible for creating the services that your clients will choose from.
Then you will need to recruit a team of people to do the actual work. You can even hire salespeople or a sales company later on and scale it infinitely.

There’s no shortage of businesses that need help with their online marketing so the sky’s the limit. There’s also no shortage of people who can do the actual work and you can contract them relatively inexpensively.

*NOTE: Building an online marketing agency might not be your passion.

It really doesn’t matter.
What matters is that it offers you a way to sell a valuable service to real people who pay real money. You can quickly build this business, scale it up, and then do whatever the heck you want!

QUICK BENEFITS OF AN ONLINE MARKETING AGENCY

The benefits primarily include:

• You can get started for less than $300
  • Extremely low overhead
  • Large profit margin - you literally set the prices
  • Huge potential - an extra $50K/year or $500K/year - it's up to you
  • Work online
  • Flexible schedule

Benefits.png

THE 5 S's OF YOUR ONLINE MARKETING AGENCY

Starting and running a digital marketing agency breaks down into what I call the 5 S's.

1. Setup
2. Sales
3. Systems
4. Staffing
5. Scaling-Up

5-S.png

I'm going to break down the checklist into those 5 groups.

The rest of this post is literally made up of the steps you can follow to start your own digital marketing agency. If you have any questions, obviously I'll be paying attention to this thread. I won't hold anything back.

Just ask.

SETUP
This portion is to help you get started by establishing your business services, messaging & branding, website, and so forth. The goal is to move quickly to hurry and get to making sales.

• Start thinking about your business brand including your business name. Think about what kind “feel” you want your business to have. Write out at least 10 possible names.
  • Look up “online marketing company” and check out the first few sites – the goal is to get a feel for what they do and what you’ll be doing.
  • Consider taking a class or two on Udemy.com or Lynda.com to get an overview of the online marketing world. Strongly consider also going to QuickSprout.com/University
  • Think about an industry you might like to serve (i.e. – chiropractors) and then look up “online marketing for chiropractors” or similar terms and study what comes up.
  • Write out (or type out) your motivation. Why are you interested in starting this business? Answer this with something more specific than “to have more money”. Get as specific as you can. Don’t skip the mental work!
  • List out the amount of money you would like to make in your first month, second month, following months. Include your first year’s goal.
  • Go online and look up other online marketing companies (again) – jot down everything that you like and that you would like to emulate.
  • Start thinking about what sets you apart. Ideally it can be summed up in one sentence. i.e. – “We provide SEO services for dental professionals”. This is your USP (unique selling proposition)
  • Come up with your 3 packages. List out the services that each package entails. Yours may be just offering social media or just website design or whatever. Be sure to be detailed - list out everything.
  • Come up with your package pricing. Decide what you think is valuable for all parties involved and use this as a starting point (you’ll most likely adjust this as you get more experience). Use this pattern: $499/$599/$999 OR $999/$1199/$1699 and so on.
  • Identify and write out your USP.
  • Write what your ideal client looks like – the more details the better.
  • Decide right now you will stay true to your niche and not take on anyone and everyone who needs help “online”. It’s better to focus on a core audience to avoid wasting time and money. Don’t be afraid to say no.
  • Come up with your business name. Come up with your business tagline (if you need one).
  • Pick your colors. These can literally be your favorite colors. Don’t stress on this one.
  • Get a logo done (use 99designs.com, Upwork.com, or Fiverr.com) – don’t do it yourself unless you’re a graphic designer.
  • Write up your business plan. Print it out. Change as necessary. Just answer the following questions:
    o What is your company name?
    o What is your company tagline?
    o What services do you provide? What problem do you solve?
    o Who is your target audience or what does your ideal client look like?
    o What is your USP?
    o How much do you charge?
    o What is your monthly revenue goal?
    o How many new or repeat clients do you need to achieve this goal?
    o How do you get new clients?
    o How will you fulfill your services? Who makes up your production team?
    o Who are the other key players of your team? List their names and titles.

• Set up your corporation (use LegalZoom – for now, just get a DBA and then incorporate once you’ve brought on a few clients and know this is going to work for you)
  • Set up your business checking & savings account. Set up your PayPal (or Stripe) business account.
  • Buy your domain name (use a registrar like GoDaddy.com). Buy your hosting (use a reliable & affordable host like SiteGround.com. Set up your website (use Wordpress – it’s super easy & all you need). Your host should have a 1-click Wordpress install.
  • Create a home page, about page, services page, & contact page to start. This is the minimum. Set up your social media platforms (Facebook business page, Twitter, Google+/YouTube, LinkedIn all a must. Pinterest, Instagram, etc are bonus).
  • Buy your business cards (and nothing else) Use VistaPrint.com because they’re super cheap. Only order 250 for your first cards. You may change some info later.

SALES
This portion is to help you start making sales - the lifeblood of your business. If you’re not making sales, you don’t have a business.

• Get your first sale (work your own personal network to get started – make a list of 10 business owners you know or your friends/family might know and approach them offering them a discount or added value to get started).
  • Complete the work of your first sale and be sure to get results! If you don’t know how to do any of it, go to UpWork.com and hire someone immediately – see next section.
  • Document all of your work – you’ll need this to scale & build a team.
  • Get your next 3 clients quickly. Go to networking meetings in your area. Consider joining your local Chamber of Commerce and possibly a BNI group or other networking group.
  • Use online directories like Manta.com to find more businesses in your chosen niche. When you find their contact info, reach out to them leading with value - do a mock-up website with their info, list out specific tips to drive more business, or share exactly how they could tweak their online presence for increased traffic and conversion, etc. Think value!
  • Reach out to associations in your chosen niche and offer to give free webinars.
  • Optimize your company website to reach your target niche and drive traffic to it – have specific pages on your website that you get to rank in Google for organic traffic (i.e. – a page on “Search Engine Optimization Services for Chiropractors”). Then get it ranking and collect leads.
  • Continue to look up the Chambers of Commerce in your area and other mixers and networking opportunities. Look to set up 1-on-1’s with potential clients but only ones in your niche. Don’t waste time with anyone else!
  • Set up speaking and teaching gigs to get in front of a lot of people at once. Be as helpful as possible. Give your best stuff away for free - be incredibly detailed.

SYSTEMS
Once you have some sales coming in, you need to make sure you document everything and create systems in order for others to do the work for you. This also includes establishing what tools you use in your business. It’s simple but incredibly important.

• Create a sales manual and a production manual. Be detailed and use bullet points.
  • Set up your work email (use Google apps or even just gmail to make it easy and route your Name@Company.com email through it)
  • Set up your account in Asana.com – it’s free and it will be your project management tool. Name each new project after your client name. Each project is a client & list out in the project all of the work you said you would do in the list of services.
  • Set your file storage using DropBox or Google Drive.
  • Set up your bookkeeping with Quickbooks

STAFFING
Getting a team in place to do the work for you is key to your growth. You need to hire, train, and lead your team members. As soon as possible, you’ll hire more team members to make sure all work is being done effectively.

• Create a company org chart with you as owner. Create a general manager position with manager positions also in sales, production/operations, & finance.
  • List out the work for your first job (base this off of your services in your game plan). Then go to Upwork.com or OnlineJobs.ph and post your job.
  • Interview your top 3 candidates. Hire 1 but keep the other two on a short-list for when you need them in the future. Start them off on a part-time basis with the expectation of them doing more soon.
  • Hire your first employee or contractor – generally this is a production staff member first (you should not be doing the actual production beyond your first client).
  • Take time to train your first team member. Refine your systems and make sure they can operate independently of you as soon as possible. Use Asana (or Basecamp or Trello) to manage everything. If you’re concerned about tracking everything, consider using HubStaff.com.
  • As soon as revenue and need justifies it, hire another contractor. And then another. And another.

SCALING-UP
Once you have sales coming in and a team and systems in place, it’s time to scale-up. This section is all about refining your processes so that you can handle 5 or 500 clients while the work to you remains the same. In other words, this is how you make more money while working less.

• Refine your services – productize them! When mapping out your services, make sure your offer is the same to everyone. If you choose a service like SEO for example, then it’s relatively the same regardless of the industry your client is in. Don’t match a service to the client. Match the client to one of your preexisting services.
  • Refine your clients - it’s OK & very necessary to the growth of your business to be choosy. Stay away from any "high maintenance" clients. Choose early on how you will handle communication with your clients. Most are just fine with email.
  • Refine your systems. Look for ways to save money, increase productivity, and so forth. When possible, swap out human effort with software and automated work.
  • Refine your sales. Spend money if necessary on advertising, always targeting your ideal niche/industry.
  • As soon as you have at least 90-day’s worth of savings in the bank, have made at least 3 sales (with a lot more in the pipeline), consider going full-time with your business. If you have a significant other, be sure to be on the same page.
  • Over-deliver with your clients. If the relationship is there, try asking for a referral but only if you’ve already done a great job.

That's it! Just sell. There's plenty of businesses out there. I don't mean to downplay it at all but really, I'm nobody special. I'm not like most of the successful hustlers in this forum. I'm a pretty average dude that managed to create a sweet business.

You can do the same. Just follow the checklist above.

If you have any questions, just ask!

-Sean
Thanks for posting this, How is the 5,000K possible with the Kenyan economy in less than 90 Days?

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
Monterrey is bigger and has more infrastructure, like Mexico City, than most of the rest of the country so they might see the need and have the budget more than elsewhere in the country. It doesn't hurt to try.

I have a handful of MX clients and they like that we're based in the US and not MX. But, it just depends on the business owner.

With the work, it will be your job to make sure it's getting done well, but that's fairly simple. Really inspect the work at the beginning and then as your trust in your VA grows, you can let them do their job.

Yes, I love Akumal and Tulum - used to anyway, before they got "discovered" :)
Hey @Sean Marshall, do you think creating websites for just artists will be profitable?

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019
Hey @Sean Marshall, do you think creating websites for just artists will be profitable?

It depends. Most artists are broke. What value can you provide these artists, what can you create that is worth it to them?

It’s easy to create a good looking website. But what else can you do for them beyond just a pretty site? Focus on asking questions and quality information gathering -> then refine what you can do for them at what cost

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 29, 2021
It depends. Most artists are broke. What value can you provide these artists, what can you create that is worth it to them?

It’s easy to create a good looking website. But what else can you do for them beyond just a pretty site? Focus on asking questions and quality information gathering -> then refine what you can do for them at what cost

Wel, I can help them get more customers by building a blog on the website, shop to sell their art, be a consultant. So what do you think and how much could I charge them?

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Wel, I can help them get more customers by building a blog on the website, shop to sell their art, be a consultant. So what do you think and how much could I charge them?

1 - Do they see the need?
2 - Do they have the budget?

If not, move on to the next niche...

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
Hello,

I have asked pretty many questions already. Hope it is not rude of me. Also I am open to any questions from beginners regarding to starting digital marketing(Have been in business for 10 months now and have relevant information for beginners. Due to the fact, that my experience is pretty fresh and may be of value to beginners. Hope this sentence made any sense lol)
Why am I asking here? Because Google is all over the place and nothing concrete.
I think that people here are more serious about answering and actually giving an opinion.

If you dont mind @Sean Marshall or anyone that may have some good pointers
Question is: Is paid advertising for an agency a good strategy? Why am I asking?
Lately I have heard a lot and also noticed, that you don't see much agency's ads. And it is all about delivering the best results that stand out. Sure, that is totally true. But for my case, I started doing this and I had like zero contacts in digital marketing, a lot of people I know went doing a 9 to 5 or are doing non-techy businesses or work.
How on earth should I get more and more clients or bigger and bigger clients/deals. The only way I see to get to next level at the moment, is going hard on all kind of ads/implementing cold calls/seminars/local business events etc. In other words, it all would mean advertising in a way.
Sure, there are other factors like - Mindset, habbits and so on. But where I am stuck right now is: I feel, that I have to get to next level. I have the skills, work to show etc. I am close to first employees and I need to feel comfortable that I can give them work and pay them. Money is not an issue, I don't need a cent from the business to keep myself afloat. I want to grow, badly.

Edit: Thank you Sean for that topic and all the previous answers you gave me. Here thanks to you. All the best for you.

Hope I made any sense.
Enjoy the last month of summer
Aleks

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014

So far copywriting and writing content, and ranking good numbers with the yoast plugin is something I been practicing myself. As far as learning copywriting, any books or videos or "gurus" you recommend to listen to. I know youtube is full of them, but i have found at times certain strategies seem to contradict themselves so then i find myself asking who to trust more?

You ever read "Junior: Writing your way ahead in advertising"

We deal with clients who own domains all the time. We build the JavaScript we apps for them and typically do all the server setup and a management for them.

However, our company right now has about 20 employees, and human nature is nearly impossible to judge 100%. So I build in safe guards for our clients.

First, we manage their DNS but do not have access to the domain at their domain registrar (such as GoDaddy or NameCheap). What we do is setup DNS on cloudflare (or pick another service). Then instruct them to point the root servers it dns hosts I provide. This gives us the ability to manage their dns while protecting ownership of their domain to them alone.

We also use code repositories for all our projects. Team members can commit branches, and we have experienced tam leads oversee all code merges.

We then setup routine database backups for recovery.

These layers of protection make sure there is always a way to recover from any problem that can arise.

Trust is good, fail safe operating protocols are better.

Explain these procedures and why you are doing them that way to clients. It gives them a lot of confidence you know what you are doing and are working hard to protect the integrity of their business.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello,

I have asked pretty many questions already. Hope it is not rude of me. Also I am open to any questions from beginners regarding to starting digital marketing(Have been in business for 10 months now and have relevant information for beginners. Due to the fact, that my experience is pretty fresh and may be of value to beginners. Hope this sentence made any sense lol)
Why am I asking here? Because Google is all over the place and nothing concrete.
I think that people here are more serious about answering and actually giving an opinion.

If you dont mind @Sean Marshall or anyone that may have some good pointers
Question is: Is paid advertising for an agency a good strategy? Why am I asking?
Lately I have heard a lot and also noticed, that you don't see much agency's ads. And it is all about delivering the best results that stand out. Sure, that is totally true. But for my case, I started doing this and I had like zero contacts in digital marketing, a lot of people I know went doing a 9 to 5 or are doing non-techy businesses or work.
How on earth should I get more and more clients or bigger and bigger clients/deals. The only way I see to get to next level at the moment, is going hard on all kind of ads/implementing cold calls/seminars/local business events etc. In other words, it all would mean advertising in a way.
Sure, there are other factors like - Mindset, habbits and so on. But where I am stuck right now is: I feel, that I have to get to next level. I have the skills, work to show etc. I am close to first employees and I need to feel comfortable that I can give them work and pay them. Money is not an issue, I don't need a cent from the business to keep myself afloat. I want to grow, badly.

Edit: Thank you Sean for that topic and all the previous answers you gave me. Here thanks to you. All the best for you.

Hope I made any sense.
Enjoy the last month of summer
Aleks

I think I understand your question - you're asking about running ads to grow your own agency, correct? If so, I think that's fine. Just be sure to be targeting a group/niche that will respond to those ads (ie - offer them something of value), and watch your ROI.

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
I think I understand your question - you're asking about running ads to grow your own agency, correct? If so, I think that's fine. Just be sure to be targeting a group/niche that will respond to those ads (ie - offer them something of value), and watch your ROI.
Yes, you are correct. Alright, will do that.
Also, any ideas/suggestions how to approach growing? Any best practices? I understand that there has to be demand to get bigger. If no, then no.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Yes, you are correct. Alright, will do that.
Also, any ideas/suggestions how to approach growing? Any best practices? I understand that there has to be demand to get bigger. If no, then no.
Go with Performance Marketing model. You perform. They Pay.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Looking back at the thread on this forum about fastlane opportunities for writers, my own email copywriting ventures, and seeing this thread again...

... this is definitely the way to go.

If you become a specialist and do the work yourself, your own time management will dictate your income.

Sure, you can raise your prices.

But in my experience it's easier to clone yourself.

Or skip the cloning part completely and get people smarter than you from the start to do fulfillment.

Drwakiza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Aug 8, 2021
Hello guys,

First and foremost I would like to thanks Sean for this thread.
However, after reading it, I am confused about my plans and I don’t really know what to do.

Let me explain.

My plan was to learn coding and start making websites for businesses to make side income. After a while, I would just delegate the coding part and focus on the selling part until I also delegate it.
once my internet company would work « on it’s own » I would add to it the marketing department in order to also help our client generating revenues via web marketing. It would make my internet company pretty complete in terms of the services we offer.
However, after reading this thread, I feel like I should focus on opening the digital marketing company (thing I have been wanting to do for a while now but didn’t start due to my lack of knowledge in this industry) and delegate the websites creation from the beginning.

I like the fastlane aspect of the digital marketing agency but I also like the « hands on » aspect of website creation

I hope my english and explanations were clear enough, I would like to have y’all’s opinion (and maybe help) regarding what would make more sens to do and then be able to focus on one thing at the time.

Last edited:

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
704%
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I feel like I should focus on opening the digital marketing company (thing I have been wanting to do for a while now but didn’t start due to my lack of knowledge in this industry) and delegate the websites creation from the beginning.
Makes sense!

You can always get involved as little or as much as you like. If you enjoy coding, then go for it! But, if you only code, then you will always stay in freelance mode and only make as much as your hourly rate.

If you want to scale, then you need to build a team to do the work and systems in place for sales, production, customer service, etc.

Drwakiza

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Aug 8, 2021
Makes sense!

You can always get involved as little or as much as you like. If you enjoy coding, then go for it! But, if you only code, then you will always stay in freelance mode and only make as much as your hourly rate.

If you want to scale, then you need to build a team to do the work and systems in place for sales, production, customer service, etc.
Okay yes this is what I had in mind, thank you again for this thread and for all the work you do to help others.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.