The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! CHECKLIST: How to Start a Digital Marketing Agency & Hit $5K in Less than 90 Days

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Carlitos

Bronze Contributor
Jul 13, 2016
New York City
In our case, we let each client be in charge of their own hosting. We simply manage it for them.

It's their car. We just drive it for them. They have their own hosting/domain accounts, we have access to it.

I like SiteGround for hosting. Great tech support.

Not sure how to answer this one. Copywriting is always important, especially with a new website.

It depends on the client. We have photographers who provide everything. Then we also have dentists... so we use stock photos. There are a lot of sites like Pexels and Pixabay where you can get free stock photos.

Best of luck!!
By having the username and password to their hosting/domain account would be only way to have access to them? I ask because I am doing the same with my guys for them to build my website, but I have always been paranoid if they steal my account or change the passwords and I would no longer have access to it, is there a safer way or alternative?

So far copywriting and writing content, and ranking good numbers with the yoast plugin is something I been practicing myself. As far as learning copywriting, any books or videos or "gurus" you recommend to listen to. I know youtube is full of them, but i have found at times certain strategies seem to contradict themselves so then i find myself asking who to trust more?

You ever read "Junior: Writing your way ahead in advertising"

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
By having the username and password to their hosting/domain account would be only way to have access to them? I ask because I am doing the same with my guys for them to build my website, but I have always been paranoid if they steal my account or change the passwords and I would no longer have access to it, is there a safer way or alternative?

I guess that depends on the trust level you have with your client. I've had my business for 11 years now. This is just what's worked well for us. With your business, you're free to do whatever feels comfortable.

For copy, I would look at Jim Edwards Copywriting Secrets. Haven't read the book you mention.

MonkyLee

New Contributor
Oct 17, 2019
Michigan
Meant to write this sooner, but have been sweating on the details too much...

Got my first recurring client! Every day as I follow the checklist, I feel like I'm jumping off a cliff mentally, but nonetheless I'm doing my best to overcome these roadblocks as quickly as I keep creating them in my head. I've come to believe that anyone interested in getting started is really going to have to go through the same experience as well.

Your excused inaction and lack of confidence are your worst enemies.

I'm definitely not miles ahead of the competition by any means and still have a long way to go before I would have preferred to post about it here, but I've at least started my journey and hope that I can help others have the confidence to take the first step as well and to keep on going!

I'm an editor for a well-known YouTube channel in a growing niche, so I have grown to learn how important the marketing aspect of the channel is much more important than the actual video content alone. I simply began talking to people about how some people just don't really seem to be self-aware enough to market themselves online and simply expect online visitors to come in through pure luck alone, and I've had people I know approach me due to overhearing my conversations and becoming convinced that I am the right person for the job in helping them establish their online presence.

This was the only push I really needed to begin this business. If you simply do some research and get even remotely interested in marketing related endeavors, you will sound alot more knowledgeable than most people that deliberately try to be, and you might convince someone to let you handle their marketing bc they simply can't do it themselves. I've had two separate situations now where this has happened, and the people both times have said that "I know alot of people who could use similar help and I'd hook you up with alot of referrals if you did a great job". Your only obligation at this point is to then follow up with the words "I'll do it" and then deliver results. I made this sound easy, but you'd be surprised at how difficult it is to even say those words alone. I hesitated for 15 seconds before I could do it for a one-time client. I hesitated for 8 months before I could say it to my recurring client.

Act before you have time to overthink things.

Sure I could fail soon and this could have all been a waste of my time, but the fact remains that I actually did something and made more progress than anyone else thinking the same crap in their head.

Your interviews I found on YouTube played a big part in helping me to believe that I too could do this, so I'll link them here for anyone else who couldn't find them initially. I found these to be really helpful and def feel like they should be put on the spotlight for anyone trying to follow your advice:

Last edited:

quicksort

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Oct 9, 2015
Meant to write this sooner, but have been sweating on the details too much...

Got my first recurring client! Every day as
This is encouraging.

I've been worried about whether I could really help anyone all this time, even though when I sit down and think about it, it seems doable, logically speaking. I even know three people who would be open to hiring me if I proved it would benefit them.

So thank you for sharing that. Makes me feel better about having to reached out to someone earlier today.

alekssiht

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
Hello!

Firstly, sorry for asking free information and "not" researching. I did all the research but Google is way to generic.
I am having this problem here.
Got a big client, at least for us. They need advertising - We will offer Facebook/Instagram, Youtube, AdWords and TikTok.
What is the smartest way pricing these things?
Our plan nr1 at the moment is - Just charge for every different platform monthly. 4 platforms - lets say 350 Euros a platform a month. Includes set-up, Analytics, Pixel, keywords, managing on the go and optimizing.
Or second one - 350 euros for setup for each platform and lets say 25€ a month for managing.

I know we should figure sh1t out ourselves. Just we dont want to f*ck this up, this may be a good jumping board for us. Due the fact, that this is a well-known business where I live.

Love
Aleks

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hello!

Firstly, sorry for asking free information and "not" researching. I did all the research but Google is way to generic.
I am having this problem here.
Got a big client, at least for us. They need advertising - We will offer Facebook/Instagram, Youtube, AdWords and TikTok.
What is the smartest way pricing these things?
Our plan nr1 at the moment is - Just charge for every different platform monthly. 4 platforms - lets say 350 Euros a platform a month. Includes set-up, Analytics, Pixel, keywords, managing on the go and optimizing.
Or second one - 350 euros for setup for each platform and lets say 25€ a month for managing.

I know we should figure sh1t out ourselves. Just we dont want to f*ck this up, this may be a good jumping board for us. Due the fact, that this is a well-known business where I live.

Love
Aleks

No worries Aleks - happy to help.

You could price a la carte like that but I would offer three different packages - small, medium, and way big. Something like this:

€700 | €850 | €1450 a month

You need to change the actual numbers but hopefully you see the pattern? Small, a little bigger (with way more stuff) and then a really big one (price anchor).

Be sure to take a look online at competitors around you to get a feel for what others in your region with your target audience is doing.

alekssiht

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
No worries Aleks - happy to help.

You could price a la carte like that but I would offer three different packages - small, medium, and way big. Something like this:

€700 | €850 | €1450 a month

You need to change the actual numbers but hopefully you see the pattern? Small, a little bigger (with way more stuff) and then a really big one (price anchor).

Be sure to take a look online at competitors around you to get a feel for what others in your region with your target audience is doing.
Oh man, I am very greatful for that answer! That sounds ideal way to handle this situation!

alekssiht

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
This suggestion sounds very good and it will actually make sense in our approach!
Thank you very much! Such a value and thanks a lit man! I will let people know if it works well for future people!

Mike Thiel

PARKED
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2021
Congrats @Sean Marshall for achieving your way to freedom! and thanks for sharing knowledge on the topic, I have just watched your udemy course, well if may I would have a few questions to you...

In two months I am moving to Mexico ( I have been living there already in the last two years) and.... I am about to start a marketing agency there, but... I have a few doubts about that... I am thinking to cooperate with some European company already specialized in marketing to guide me through the processes - so I got two possibilities 1) opening their branch or 2) my own agency and have them as a business partner.
-Well that's the first one - what do you think is better option?
I will have to register the company in Mexico or use my girlfriend's company at the beginning - I guess clients in Mexico need to see that I am operating there, if they would see the company is registered in Poland probably they would be suspicious about it and could be not interested in sending money to Polish account. Maybe I am way too much worried at the beginning but I will be starting from LOCAL businesses - so that's why I thought is necessary to plan beforehand.
-The second question - do you think I should register the company once I arrive there ? or maybe use my girlfriend's ( she is Mexican ) company to start with clients ?
I am also thinking about % of profits , if 50% would be fine for me or I should have more...
My idea is to find clients by myself ( I am fluent in Spanish but not perfect - this is something a little discouraging to me but will give my best - I hope it won't affect acquire new clients ) , and plan to send the work to business partner - or they simply guide me and I hire people in Mexico to do the work.
-Here comes another question - do you think is it better to hire people in Mexico to do the job or outsource it to business partner or maybe even like in Your case to some exotic country like Philippines ( the problem is I dont have enough experience so I couldn't write them what exactly they need to do )
- And another one is the profit % - 50% for me and 50% for business partner is it okay ( I find clients and do some work , business partner shares with me his system and do majority of the work ) ?

I will more than happy to get an advice from You
Regards,
Mike

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
-Well that's the first one - what do you think is better option?
I will have to register the company in Mexico or use my girlfriend's company at the beginning - I guess clients in Mexico need to see that I am operating there, if they would see the company is registered in Poland probably they would be suspicious about it and could be not interested in sending money to Polish account. Maybe I am way too much worried at the beginning but I will be starting from LOCAL businesses - so that's why I thought is necessary to plan beforehand.
-The second question - do you think I should register the company once I arrive there ? or maybe use my girlfriend's ( she is Mexican ) company to start with clients ?
I am also thinking about % of profits , if 50% would be fine for me or I should have more...
My idea is to find clients by myself ( I am fluent in Spanish but not perfect - this is something a little discouraging to me but will give my best - I hope it won't affect acquire new clients ) , and plan to send the work to business partner - or they simply guide me and I hire people in Mexico to do the work.
-Here comes another question - do you think is it better to hire people in Mexico to do the job or outsource it to business partner or maybe even like in Your case to some exotic country like Philippines ( the problem is I dont have enough experience so I couldn't write them what exactly they need to do )
- And another one is the profit % - 50% for me and 50% for business partner is it okay ( I find clients and do some work , business partner shares with me his system and do majority of the work ) ?

Hiya Mike,

First of all, I would avoid a business partner entirely. It's just not necessary. Second, I wouldn't open a branch for somebody else. You can do it all on your own. I mean, unless you basically want to be an employee, but that's not the point of this thread (or this forum for that matter). :)

As for the business, it depends on where you want to have it. If you want to earn money in Poland, then leave your business entity there. If you do business with Mexican clients, they just need a "factura" and you can give them that, regardless if your company is based in MX or not.

I think it's fine to hire people in Mexico IF you feel they can do the job. I never had any MX employees but I had a buddy on the island (Cozumel) who had an army of 20-somethings all doing the work.

You might consider living in MX but not necessarily getting MX businesses as clients. While they usually see the need, especially in touristy places, they don't always have the budget. I would look to work with US/UK/European clients.

Hope this helps!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Mike Thiel

PARKED
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 15, 2021
Hiya Mike,

First of all, I would avoid a business partner entirely. It's just not necessary. Second, I wouldn't open a branch for somebody else. You can do it all on your own. I mean, unless you basically want to be an employee, but that's not the point of this thread (or this forum for that matter). :)

As for the business, it depends on where you want to have it. If you want to earn money in Poland, then leave your business entity there. If you do business with Mexican clients, they just need a "factura" and you can give them that, regardless if your company is based in MX or not.

I think it's fine to hire people in Mexico IF you feel they can do the job. I never had any MX employees but I had a buddy on the island (Cozumel) who had an army of 20-somethings all doing the work.

You might consider living in MX but not necessarily getting MX businesses as clients. While they usually see the need, especially in touristy places, they don't always have the budget. I would look to work with US/UK/European clients.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply @Sean Marshall ! I appreciate it
That was helpful, especially about system payment ( as I was talking with agencies they said to me that companies don't want to pay if they see the company is not "Mexican" - sth I won't worry anymore now )
My plan is to operate in the US market later as I believe more to get clients in a place where you live first and later expand. I like acquiring new clients by face-to-face meetings ( that will be my role to get clients and I plan to outsource the work ) so I will focus on LOCAL businesses and networking. I will I've in Monterrey Metropoly ( north of Mexico, 4 million people, 80 000 companies ). Maybe my belief that it can work in Mexico is blind and since the beginning, I should focus on the US market... but I believe that online presence is an everlasting need, so if there are tons of companies there I think they must have money to fulfill their need...
As you mentioned to better neglect cooperation with the agency - I will outsource it to someone from online job.ph or upwork. The problem is I won't be able to check if that person made high-quality work. So just wanted to ask you about it - let's say I just focus on social media at the beginning and I got a client for it and outsource it - how to check if my employee has done a proper job?

btw. if you are on Cozumel island really recommend you Tulum, Akumal beach, and Merida city to visit

Sean Marshall

Independent since 2010
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I will I've in Monterrey Metropoly

Monterrey is bigger and has more infrastructure, like Mexico City, than most of the rest of the country so they might see the need and have the budget more than elsewhere in the country. It doesn't hurt to try.

I have a handful of MX clients and they like that we're based in the US and not MX. But, it just depends on the business owner.

With the work, it will be your job to make sure it's getting done well, but that's fairly simple. Really inspect the work at the beginning and then as your trust in your VA grows, you can let them do their job.

Yes, I love Akumal and Tulum - used to anyway, before they got "discovered" :)

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I am going to test this for a month and see how it goes... If anyone wants to join using Crypto...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
If you are in IDEA mode, text "IDEA" to the above number. If you are in LAUNCH/START mode, text...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I have a long weekend off work.. bought your "Start a Freelance Business: Take Back Your...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
If there’s one thread I see repeated over and over again on the forum, it goes like this: “I...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Thanks for clearing that up. What do you recommend for those who are still in the process of...

Forum Sponsor

Over 100 Fastlane Students
More Details...

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom