The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chat GPT Tips/Tricks

Idea threads

crystal_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 20, 2023
I’ve been using ChatGPT to help me with things like making product descriptions and copywriting, and I’ve found a few ways to get a better and/or more consistent output. If you’ve messed around GPT you’ve probably noticed you can ask it the same exact thing in two separate sessions, and it might give a completely different answer. Or it’ll skip certain steps if you give it a longer prompt. So this post will go over some things I’ve learned on how to prevent that along with some tips I’ve learned.

1. Giving examples over prompts​

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever I give GPT an example over a specific prompt, the outputs are better. For example, instead of asking it to “Generate me a 30-60 second script for my product for a content creator to read.” I’d ask “Here is an example script I gave a content creator for product X. Generate me a 30-60 second script for them to read based off of that one for product Y.” instead. When you give a good example, you’re giving GPT much more to work with when generating its output, and this has saved me a lot of time from trying to figure out how to ask it do something from scratch.

The downside of giving examples is that you may be boxing yourself in, since whatever answer it gives is based off of your example. So for example, if I gave GPT a script of a purse and one of the lines were talking about how it’s cute and stylish, and then I ask GPT to generate a new script for a mop, it may say a mop is cute and stylish, which doesn’t make any sense. GPT 4 is a lot better at not doing stuff like this than GPT 3.5 but it still might. In this case I’d explain that it doesn’t make any sense and have it correct itself, then maybe adjust my original prompt so it doesn’t make the same error again.

Either way I think examples are super helpful, especially in the beginning when you’re not sure how to prompt it. Ideally, through using examples and critiquing its output, you'll get better and better and prompting and eventually you may not need to give it an example because your prompts are so specific. But that might be hard to do that right out the gate.

2. Asking GPT to self-evaluate its answers​

GPT can self-evaluate its answers which can save a lot of time. So one thing you can try is asking it to generate 5 answers for something in the first prompt, then ask it to pick the best answer in the next prompt. This can be helpful in creative tasks when you need a lot of ideas for something.

3. Using multiple prompts​

If you give GPT too many instructions in a single prompt, it’ll often skip over certain instructions when generating an answer. I like to use multiple prompts for more complex tasks to make sure nothing is skipped over.

4. BulkGPT (the chrome extension, not BulkGPT.ai)​

This is a tool that lets you load in multiple prompts at the same time. So say you have a set of 10 prompts you want to ask sequentially, you can paste them all into BulkGPT and it’ll ask them all for you. This saves a lot of time over waiting for GPT to finish writing and then pasting in your next prompt.

5. Using GPT-4 over GPT-3.5​

The difference between ChatGPT 4 (paid plan) and GPT 3.5 (free plan) is pretty big, especially for creative work. I’d highly recommend trying GPT 4 out if you’re not on the paid plan already.

GPT 3.5 is still a lot faster than 4 though (probably because it requires less power to run), so I often switch between the two. 3.5 for quicker, more simple tasks, and 4 for more complex tasks.

So combined together, you getting GPT to do a complex task may look something like this:​

First Prompt: Give GPT an example of what you want to do, then ask it to generate 5 versions of it.
Second Prompt: Ask GPT to “continue” what it was generating. Oftentimes if you ask for it to do a lot at once it’ll cut off the response since there’s a word limit.
Third Prompt: Ask GPT to self-evaluate and choose the best version of that thing (you can add additional criteria of what makes a ‘best version’ here)
Fourth Prompt: Critique its output even more if necessary. Give it another example, add nuance things, or maybe even specific phrasing that would help get its output closer to what you’re looking for.
Fifth Prompt: Ask GPT to format its response in the exact way you want. So if you’re writing an article you can ask for the headlines to be bolded and larger than the paragraph text.

And then from there, you have an output that’s ready to go with minimal editing. If you use BulkGPT you can load all 5 prompts in at the same time and then have GPT generate it all while you’re working on something else instead of waiting and copying and pasting each time. If you to try and put everything in one prompt it may give an inconsistent output or skip certain steps.

Setting this up is probably unnecessary for one-off tasks, but if there’s something you need to do repetitively then finding a good set of prompts to ask it can save a ton of time, it has for me. If anyone has other tips/tricks feel free to share.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

beres8011

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 2, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
I’ve been using ChatGPT to help me with things like making product descriptions and copywriting, and I’ve found a few ways to get a better and/or more consistent output. If you’ve messed around GPT you’ve probably noticed you can ask it the same exact thing in two separate sessions, and it might give a completely different answer. Or it’ll skip certain steps if you give it a longer prompt. So this post will go over some things I’ve learned on how to prevent that along with some tips I’ve learned.

1. Giving examples over prompts​

One thing I’ve noticed is that whenever I give GPT an example over a specific prompt, the outputs are better. For example, instead of asking it to “Generate me a 30-60 second script for my product for a content creator to read.” I’d ask “Here is an example script I gave a content creator for product X. Generate me a 30-60 second script for them to read based off of that one for product Y.” instead. When you give a good example, you’re giving GPT much more to work with when generating its output, and this has saved me a lot of time from trying to figure out how to ask it do something from scratch.

The downside of giving examples is that you may be boxing yourself in, since whatever answer it gives is based off of your example. So for example, if I gave GPT a script of a purse and one of the lines were talking about how it’s cute and stylish, and then I ask GPT to generate a new script for a mop, it may say a mop is cute and stylish, which doesn’t make any sense. GPT 4 is a lot better at not doing stuff like this than GPT 3.5 but it still might. In this case I’d explain that it doesn’t make any sense and have it correct itself, then maybe adjust my original prompt so it doesn’t make the same error again.

Either way I think examples are super helpful, especially in the beginning when you’re not sure how to prompt it. Ideally, through using examples and critiquing its output, you'll get better and better and prompting and eventually you may not need to give it an example because your prompts are so specific. But that might be hard to do that right out the gate.

2. Asking GPT to self-evaluate its answers​

GPT can self-evaluate its answers which can save a lot of time. So one thing you can try is asking it to generate 5 answers for something in the first prompt, then ask it to pick the best answer in the next prompt. This can be helpful in creative tasks when you need a lot of ideas for something.

3. Using multiple prompts​

If you give GPT too many instructions in a single prompt, it’ll often skip over certain instructions when generating an answer. I like to use multiple prompts for more complex tasks to make sure nothing is skipped over.

4. BulkGPT (the chrome extension, not BulkGPT.ai)​

This is a tool that lets you load in multiple prompts at the same time. So say you have a set of 10 prompts you want to ask sequentially, you can paste them all into BulkGPT and it’ll ask them all for you. This saves a lot of time over waiting for GPT to finish writing and then pasting in your next prompt.

The difference between ChatGPT 4 (paid plan) and GPT 3.5 (free plan) is pretty big, especially for creative work. I’d highly recommend trying GPT 4 out if you’re not on the paid plan already.

GPT 3.5 is still a lot faster than 4 though (probably because it requires less power to run), so I often switch between the two. 3.5 for quicker, more simple tasks, and 4 for more complex tasks.

So combined together, you getting GPT to do a complex task may look something like this:​

First Prompt: Give GPT an example of what you want to do, then ask it to generate 5 versions of it.
Second Prompt: Ask GPT to “continue” what it was generating. Oftentimes if you ask for it to do a lot at once it’ll cut off the response since there’s a word limit.
Third Prompt: Ask GPT to self-evaluate and choose the best version of that thing (you can add additional criteria of what makes a ‘best version’ here)
Fourth Prompt: Critique its output even more if necessary. Give it another example, add nuance things, or maybe even specific phrasing that would help get its output closer to what you’re looking for.
Fifth Prompt: Ask GPT to format its response in the exact way you want. So if you’re writing an article you can ask for the headlines to be bolded and larger than the paragraph text.

And then from there, you have an output that’s ready to go with minimal editing. If you use BulkGPT you can load all 5 prompts in at the same time and then have GPT generate it all while you’re working on something else instead of waiting and copying and pasting each time. If you to try and put everything in one prompt it may give an inconsistent output or skip certain steps.

Setting this up is probably unnecessary for one-off tasks, but if there’s something you need to do repetitively then finding a good set of prompts to ask it can save a ton of time, it has for me. If anyone has other tips/tricks feel free to share.
Hi

Thanks for all of these tips. I have been trying to use while tutoring my students and you gave me some good hints as to how I can use this tool.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

Thanks for this, some nice tips here. I just wanted to make sure of something, when you switch from 3.5 to 4, are all of your old chats saved?

beres8011

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
May 2, 2023
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Thanks for this, some nice tips here. I just wanted to make sure of something, when you switch from 3.5 to 4, are all of your old chats saved?
I have not started using it and don't have any chats at all. Loosing chats should not be a problem.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

crystal_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
May 20, 2023
Yes when you upgrade to ChatGPT Plus everything is saved. You’ll have the option to either start a new chat with 3.5 or 4 and the old ones will still be there.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.