The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Change Your Words - Change Your Outlook

Anything related to matters of the mind
D

DeletedUser394

For lack of a better word, I was cleaning cat "snot" off the wall in their playroom (they were sick), and I started thinking about the situation as I grew more and more tired. I was in a bad mood.

After maybe a half hour into furiously scrubbing the walls I thought to myself "This is going to take forever". After having stated that to myself I grew angry and a little annoyed.

After another half hour I wasn't making any headway on the "snot covered" walls of the cat playroom. I stopped for a second after re-examining the situation at hand. I was really frustrated at that point and decided to delve into it a bit further. I scrutinized what was going on and drew out only negatives and I found that I was using adjectives such as "boring, tiring, maddening, disgusting, time wasting, etc."

Then I thought about what I could be doing instead of cleaning the walls and couldn't come up with many things other than read, go to the library to use the computer, maybe do something with a friend all of which were not necessities at that moment.

After weighing the cons, I decided to delve into any pros, I doubted I would find any, and this is where my optimism and change of words helped me persevere in a most mundane situation.

Here's what I came up with;

1. Instead of viewing the cleaning as tiring I chose to look at it as an energizing form of exercise. This immediately made me more interested in continuing the relatively hard physical work.

2. Rather than thinking of it as boring and time wasting, I decided to look at it as a gesture of kindness to those who weren't fortunate to have the ability to help themselves on their own, (ie my feline friends).

3. Then I thought to myself, "why am I mad about it". Then it hit me, I had no reason to be mad. It was a beautiful day, barely any clouds in the sky, I was alive and in relatively good health :smxF:. It was just one more good day in the thousands of great days I plan to have in the future.

So if there's one thing I taught myself that I'd like to pass on is that no matter what your situation at the present, you can either choose to change it, or change the way you react to it.

PS I moved this so can a moderator delete the other one in off topic? Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Great Story!

Learning how to break out of negative thoughts and actions (and turn the same experience into a positive one) is key for me.

It's been one of the biggest changes I've made in my life on the road to happiness. :)

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.