The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Caught up in a comfortable slow lane...

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Hi everyone, my name is Jameel. Im currently 3/4 of the way through millionaire fast lane. So far I have not been able to look at people without identifying them as side walkers, slow laners, and the coveted fast laners. Myself, unfortunately, I am a sidewalker in a "cushy" role. I'm not making much but enough to live a decent lifestyle and with inflation I am pretty well living pay cheque to pay cheque. I've know for a long time that I wanted my own business (currently working on one now) however I think part of being in a good position, in a good company, around good people may have slow my progress. Perhaps I feel too safe ? Perhaps I know i have a safety net to fall back on ? But I know those are just excuses and after reading through some fast lane chapters I've got to try and cut the BS and truly ask myself "if I die today, did I live to my fullest potential, was I truly happy or did I merely make myself content?" I am finding it challenging yes, but thats why I'm happy to be here with like minded people going through the same thing. I hope to learn and soak up as much as I can and APPLY that knowledge to attain my goal of quitting my 9-5 in the next 4 years and successfully running my own fast lane business which will then lead me to my ultimate goal - TIME FREEDOM!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Epic Irony

Inspiration strikes best through a vacuum of ideas
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 19, 2022
Hi Jameel. Welcome!

I can relate, I am in more or less the same boat. But I always try to keep in mind that my current situation is temporary and not under my control. I am leveraging this illusory safe feeling in the sense that I feel free to experiment, learn and build something on my own on the side. As far as I am concerned, the "safe" feeling could end tomorrow, so I need to be prepared when it happens. I make the best of each day.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Nothing wrong having a good job while trying to start a business. In fact, you should keep your job until your business gives you a GOOD REASON to quit. When people quit their jobs with no business, no ideas, and no plan, that's when trouble happens. Find a purpose within your life, something big enough to overcome the comfort and security of your job.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Perhaps I feel too safe ? Perhaps I know i have a safety net to fall back on ?
That often plays a big part in it, but it's really just a way of avoiding having to make uncomfortable decisions.

I mean this next bit in a nice way. Living paycheck to paycheck is not safe. It means you have no emergency funds or means of supporting yourself if/when the paychecks suddenly stop. That can happen just as easily to a highly paid developer writing code for years at a big company or someone making minimum wage serving burgers at McDonald's.

What's your backup plan if that happened?

Albert KOUADJA

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 13, 2022
Th
Nothing wrong having a good job while trying to start a business. In fact, you should keep your job until your business gives you a GOOD REASON to quit. When people quit their jobs with no business, no ideas, and no plan, that's when trouble happens. Find a purpose within your life, something big enough to overcome the comfort and security of your job.
Thank you dad MJ for your advice .

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Hi Jameel. Welcome!

I can relate, I am in more or less the same boat. But I always try to keep in mind that my current situation is temporary and not under my control. I am leveraging this illusory safe feeling in the sense that I feel free to experiment, learn and build something on my own on the side. As far as I am concerned, the "safe" feeling could end tomorrow, so I need to be prepared when it happens. I make the best of each day.
Thanks @Epic Irony. You're right I've actually thought of that myself. Although it "feels safe" is it really. The company I work for just got bought over, we could have easily been wiped clean and have corporate hire new people. However it is easier said than done. I've yet to actually FEEL that strong urge to take serious action. As MJ says we've been conditioned from school to work for someone else so to overcome that indoctrination we are almost (at least what it feels like) rewiring our brain. But despite not feeling that urge yet, I'm still working towards the bigger picture.

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
Thanks Mr. DeMarco. I try to keep that in mind. Something that @Epic Irony alluded to is that because of having a good job it allows me to actually have that mental space to work on something else. I guess I should consider it a blessing that having to carry the baggage of a real shitty job.

Also I don't know many millionaires nor how they spend their time but I can't imagine many of them are spending it engaging with people around the world trying to help them. I definitely appreciate and commend what you're doing. Thank you!

Jr.khan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jul 5, 2022
That often plays a big part in it, but it's really just a way of avoiding having to make uncomfortable decisions.

I mean this next bit in a nice way. Living paycheck to paycheck is not safe. It means you have no emergency funds or means of supporting yourself if/when the paychecks suddenly stop. That can happen just as easily to a highly paid developer writing code for years at a big company or someone making minimum wage serving burgers at McDonald's.

What's your backup plan if that happened?
Hi @Chris Sciora. If I were to be honest I dont have a back up plan. I mean If it were to happen I'd imagine I would try and find a job elsewhere. I don't think I would be able to take the risk of pursuing my business knowing I wont be bringing money in to the family on a consistent basis.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Also I don't know many millionaires nor how they spend their time but I can't imagine many of them are spending it engaging with people around the world trying to help them.
There are a couple on this forum. Some spend their time overthinking (there are very interesting threads of financially independent guys here trying to find purpose or meaning).

Most people can perfectly live on $70k (there was some study that "proved" that passed that number, people aren't much happier). Even if you become a millionaire, you still need to have a purpose. There's some dude on YouTube called Tech Lead, he is supposedly a millionaire, yet looks like a depressed man, and says it was fun to work at Google, etc. with people compared to being in a room watching cryptos and making videos. So I think money just gives you time and options, specially to stop working for an employer if you don't want to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...