The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't keep my sleep regulated

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Currently I'm working about 10 hour days on my projects, 7 days.

The problem I run into, is that my sleep always keeps getting pushed forward. I'll work later and later trying to finish things while I'm "in the zone". I'll then wake up late and lethargic the following day, and then start work later, and the cycle continues until I'm going to bed at 5am, have to take a day off and get on ambien to fix my sleep back to normal.

This effect has plagued me for years, and nothing really arrests it (bright morning sunlight helps).

Anyone have any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ

The problem I run into, is that my sleep always keeps getting pushed forward. I'll work later and later trying to finish things while I'm "in the zone". I'll then wake up late and lethargic the following day, and then start work later, and the cycle continues until I'm going to bed at 5am, have to take a day off and get on ambien to fix my sleep back to normal.

This effect has plagued me for years, and nothing really arrests it (bright morning sunlight helps).

Anyone have any ideas?

Yep. Start taking Magnesium Citrate. With breakfast, and right before bed. ;)
I wrote about this just now here.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

Anyone have any ideas?
Without giving too much detail, would you mind saying why you're working 70 hour weeks? The stress of that alone would be enough to cause insomnia.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Yep. Start taking Magnesium Citrate. With breakfast, and right before bed. ;)
I wrote about this just now here.

I second the Magnesium. Also Zinc, as @Eskil mentions in the comment he linked to.

Also,

Sleep in a completely dark room (block ALL light sources)
Sleep in a slightly cool room
No screen time 1 hour before bed (or more). Yes, I know that contradicts the working late thing! (at the very least use a blue blocker on your screens)
Stay low carb until evening
Plenty of vitamin D
Take melatonin
Don't abuse caffeine or nicotine
Exercise more
Warm water bottle at your feet (or wear socks)
No forced air heat, use a heated blanket if needed

My honest opinion though is that you need to make proper sleep the priority it is. Very few things will F up your health faster than poor sleep.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
You are burning out my friend . I suggest you to slow down ,this rate of working is not at all good . As for sleep I suggest you to do some physical exercise/running/walk long distance . Tire yourself out .
Remember health is number one, everything else can wait health is just not negotiable .

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
But that's a laxative, right?

Not if you get the right kind and start it slow. Magnesium Citrate is the form I take, and the one least likely to cause stomach upset. Start with low doses of say 100 mg per day, then after a week bump it to 200-300, or 400 which is what people often take long term.

J.Sark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 21, 2017
Spain
I'd recommend reading Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson, a short but very educating read about the topic of sleep, and why it's way more important than we initially believe.

- Adapt your rhythm to natural sunlight cycles (I wake up at 5am and go to bed around 22:00)

- No blue light for at least 30 minutes before bed (1:30 ideally)

- Sleep in complete darkness

- No coffee after 16:00

- Exercise first thing in the morning

- Get outdoors for a bit every day, with some exposure to sunlight and nature

Ray Goslin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Dec 13, 2016
You don't say you're having trouble sleeping, just that your pushing your schedule later and later. You need to develop disciplined ritualised habits.

D2S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 3, 2018
Careful down this road of grinding 24/7, as in the long run it's not sustainable and will lead to at best; hating the thought of hard work as you'll constantly associate it with these sleep side effects, or at worst; ill health will develop over time.

You are better off setting a work schedule that priorities your well-being over your project delivery.

I recommend a book called the 'Now Habit', the author recommends a method called the unschedule that encourages guilt free play, regardless of the deadline pressures etc.

I suffered from the symptoms of overwork until I started practicing some of the techniques - the amazing thing is you end up being far more productive than when you 'crammed' it all in!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Here's what worked for me. No caffeine. No sleeping aids. Fixed.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
I second the Magnesium. Also Zinc, as @Eskil mentions in the comment he linked to.

Also,

Sleep in a completely dark room (block ALL light sources)
Sleep in a slightly cool room
No screen time 1 hour before bed (or more). Yes, I know that contradicts the working late thing! (at the very least use a blue blocker on your screens)
Stay low carb until evening
Plenty of vitamin D
Take melatonin
Don't abuse caffeine or nicotine
Exercise more
Warm water bottle at your feet (or wear socks)
No forced air heat, use a heated blanket if needed

My honest opinion though is that you need to make proper sleep the priority it is. Very few things will F up your health faster than poor sleep.

I agree with this.

I think your main problem would be that you're in front of screens right up until bed time.

Definitely use a blue blocking app on whatever device you're working on and give yourself at least an hour to unwind before bed, preferably reading a book. I do this every night and never ever have trouble getting to sleep anymore.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
Without giving too much detail, would you mind saying why you're working 70 hour weeks?

$$$. I need more of it, and I especially need to boost my passive income. Money is currently putting some unacceptable limits on my life, so it must be fixed.

Adapt your rhythm to natural sunlight cycles (I wake up at 5am and go to bed around 22:00)
I managed to get it back to 7am once, using full morning sun, but the slightest upset and it's back.

No blue light for at least 30 minutes before bed
I have flux on my computer

Sleep in complete darkness
The problem is it clashes with morning sun. Some auto curtain puller device would be great if anyone knows one.

You need to develop disciplined ritualised habits

It's never worked as my personality is the opposite of regimented.

My guess is the solution is increasing early-pressure to offset or overpower the late-pressure. 7am to 6pm still comes out at 10 hours just as well as a later start.

And all the ideas people have give will help with that, so I'll be trying some out. Thanks everyone

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK

I suggest you read about the 20-mile march if you haven't. We all have different personalities, but if you say yours isn't regimented and you aren't willing to change. Then you have to cope with the potential downsides.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
$$$. I need more of it, and I especially need to boost my passive income. Money is currently putting some unacceptable limits on my life, so it must be fixed.
I definitely understand you there man.

But let's be realistic. Assuming you're an actual human being behind that screen, you need water, food, sleep, and oxygen. Your body is a machine with certain physical requirements. If those requirements aren't met, the machine starts to break down. Stress definitely wears down the machine.

Would you entertain the idea that less working hours could make you MORE productive when you work on your projects?

Without some self-discipline, you really can't achieve anything you set out to do. I learned this the hard way.

By the way, what you describe sounds almost identical to how I was a few years back.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.