The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Improving my sleep

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
A got a gift of one of these smart health band things recently and I have been fascinated with the sleep tracker...

Since I got this thing I have been trying to get a 100 score (not sure if even possible on this app) and have noticed a lot of interesting things about sleep:

- My sleep score highly correlates with the quality of my day
While you can turn any day around when I wake up after a 98/99 sleep I am on fire. I am super sharp, focused, and fresh.

Once my score gets below 95 I can start to see some issues. I am more easily distracted, I take longer to do certain tasks, quality of some work drops etc.

- Drinking a lot of water or eating late in the evening was impacting deep sleep
Probably seems obvious but I had overlooked this. With the 75 hard challenge, I was drinking water well into the evening.

But even one glass near bedtime meant I either had to get up to use the bathroom or my brain wanted too = quality of sleep drops.

- Meditation before bed helps a lot to wind down
I have been using headspace and I get a much deeper, more relaxing sleep.

- No phones/devices for 2 hours before bed
I have tested this and make a massive difference too. We kinda all know this but when you see the data stack up it hits home.

- No heavy reading before bed
This one was something I had overlooked also. If I read some great business book before bed my brain was still in thinking mode and took a lot of time to wind down. Now I try to unplug from everything around 7-7:30 and give myself 2 hours to relax.

- You look better and are more social if you sleep well
This is massive - my eyes, voice, movements, "charisma" > all are better when I sleep well.
Actually at the summit this year I was sleeping terribly and felt a lot of anxiety/stress during the days - I think this was a massive part of it.
When I sleep well I am much more social and just feel and look better overall.

That is it for now but for just a few dollars you can pick one of these things up and start seeing what you can improve.

We all know to sleep better but having real stats helps you make progress.
What gets measured gets done.

Hope this helps. I highly recommend you start tracking this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Great post.

Sleep is super important.

One thing I found out also is eating a high carb meal before or close to sleep will give you hell in the morning.

Since I started limiting my carbs at least 4 hours before sleep, I was able to wake up quicker and with so much less headache. You know that feeling like you've been hit with a truck twice? Yes thats it.

Anyway great post.

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
A got a gift of one of these smart health band things recently and I have been fascinated with the sleep tracker...

View attachment 30952

Since I got this thing I have been trying to get a 100 score (not sure if even possible on this app) and have noticed a lot of interesting things about sleep:

- My sleep score highly correlates with the quality of my day
While you can turn any day around when I wake up after a 98/99 sleep I am on fire. I am super sharp, focused, and fresh.

Once my score gets below 95 I can start to see some issues. I am more easily distracted, I take longer to do certain tasks, quality of some work drops etc.

- Drinking a lot of water or eating late in the evening was impacting deep sleep
Probably seems obvious but I had overlooked this. With the 75 hard challenge, I was drinking water well into the evening.

But even one glass near bedtime meant I either had to get up to use the bathroom or my brain wanted too = quality of sleep drops.

- Meditation before bed helps a lot to wind down
I have been using headspace and I get a much deeper, more relaxing sleep.

I have tested this and make a massive difference too. We kinda all know this but when you see the data stack up it hits home.

This one was something I had overlooked also. If I read some great business book before bed my brain was still in thinking mode and took a lot of time to wind down. Now I try to unplug from everything around 7-7:30 and give myself 2 hours to relax.

- You look better and are more social if you sleep well
This is massive - my eyes, voice, movements, "charisma" > all are better when I sleep well.
Actually at the summit this year I was sleeping terribly and felt a lot of anxiety/stress during the days - I think this was a massive part of it.
When I sleep well I am much more social and just feel and look better overall.

That is it for now but for just a few dollars you can pick one of these things up and start seeing what you can improve.

We all know to sleep better but having real stats helps you make progress.
What gets measured gets done.

Hope this helps. I highly recommend you start tracking this.

Some say that meditation actually causes a person to become more alert / energetic, what's others observation on this?

Phone is definitely something that causes us to sleep late.

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Looks like you use the Mi Tools App for the sleep tracking. I can recommend you the Android App "Sleep like Android". Been using it for years now. It has some great sleep tracking tools and a lot of ways to get insights in your sleep habbits/ quality.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Some say that meditation actually causes a person to become more alert / energetic, what's others observation on this?

Phone is definitely something that causes us to sleep late.

I haven't had any issues but I am careful to wind down mentally and (also work myself out during the day) so I feel quite tired by the time I go to bed.

Another thing is splitting rooms for tasks. No phones in the bedroom anymore etc.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Looks like you use the Mi Tools App for the sleep tracking. I can recommend you the Android App "Sleep like Android". Been using it for years now. It has some great sleep tracking tools and a lot of ways to get insights in your sleep habbits/ quality.

Thanks. I am on iphone though - any recommendations there?

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've been so tired by 8 or 9 lately since waking up purposely at 6am the last few weeks, but haven't gotten rid of the laptop and phone in my bed. It's SO stupid. Not sleeping till nearly midnight. Time to trash that shit.

I like the idea if tracking to really figure out some things. It's been working great for me with diet and keto, weighing food and recording macros etc.

What's the thing you have called?

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012

What do you do the last 2 hours of the day?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I've been so tired by 8 or 9 lately since waking up purposely at 6am the last few weeks, but haven't gotten rid of the laptop and phone in my bed. It's SO stupid. Not sleeping till nearly midnight. Time to trash that shit.

I like the idea if tracking to really figure out some things. It's been working great for me with diet and keto, weighing food and recording macros etc.

What's the thing you have called?

Hey since it was a gift I don't have the name (it has nothing written on it) but it's a smart device for heart rate and fitness. I think a "fitbit" is the common brand name.

What do you do the last 2 hours of the day?

No looking at any devices unless super important. Talk with my GF, relax, layout on the sofa, some stretches or yoga or headspace etc. Just easy, relaxing, and if possible social, stuff.

I have a lot of biz stuff I could be doing but I am forcing myself to get more done earlier in the day and then enjoy downtime.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Fox couple of things i do ......

no caffeine in the evenings
have a simple routine before bed that you do each and every time
take this stuff about 30 min before bed
.... Z-12™ Deep, Refreshing, Restful Sleep Formula - Biotest (you'll have some crazy a$$ dreams!)
no alarm clock the next morning ..... wake up when you wake up

and buy a great mattress! i'm huge on the purple bed

for tracking, i need to get a fitbit ..... girlfriend loves hers. tracks calories / workouts / challenges w/ people. also look at sleep. she's still in the slowlane, so her sleep is trash.

anyone using an Oura Ring: the most accurate sleep and activity tracker ?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Nice! I use AutoSleep which connects to my Apple Watch, and does everything automatically (although for more accuracy, you can let it know when you get in bed if you wish). That is how I first knew I was having trouble getting deep sleep, no matter the amount of hours slept. The sleep study confirmed it, I got 0% lol

Then it shows you the sleep quality score, the amount of time asleep, the deep sleep, and even has this "sleep bank" and tells you your "debt" when you haven't been sleeping well. It's pretty cool. If you don't wear your watch it just assumes you're sleeping while the phone charges at night.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Spent the last 12-18 months being pretty obsessed with my sleep; below is a list of what you can do to improve it.

Note: fitbit, apple watch, and even the Oura ring (what I use) are all significantly inaccurate, they are better than nothing, but take what you're tracker is telling you with a BIG pinch of salt.

Sleep notes:

• Last calorie at least 3 hours before bedtime (approx 7:30) - This has a huge effect on good sleep.
  • Off screens 1-2 hours before bed
  • Use warm light (nightshift on phone) and fl.ux on your laptop (doesn't compensate for NOT coming off screens before bed - it's just a lesser evil.
  • Sleep and wake same time everyday (consistent bedtime routine & schedule)
  • Try and set your consistent sleep and wake in 7.5/9 hour time slots since the body sleeps in roughly 90 minute cycles. (allocate 5-15mins to get to sleep). e.g. 10:30pm-6:15am
  • Last caffeinated beverage at 1pm - Caffeine has a very long half life, whether you think it disrupts your sleep or not... it does, a lot.
  • Sleep with complete black out (cover LEDS - black tape)
  • An eyemask can help if you can't blackout - but light can still be 'received' by your body. e.g. If I put a light on your calf with your mask on, your body will register this. - Blackout preferred.
  • Sleep with ear plugs (no noise)
  • Alternatively sleep with a white noise machine which mimics silence for your brain. Any noises that do happen, the contrast from silence to noise is a lot less and thus does not disturb the brain.
  • 60-65 degrees F (16-18 C) sleep temp. Air con/bedjet/chillipad.
  • Use a weighted blankets
  • Only use your bed (if you can help it, bedroom) for sleeping and sex.
  • Get into sunlight for at least 5 mins when you wake. (This solidifies circadian rhythm)
  • Magnesium before bed - (not oxide, and be careful with citrate - disaster pants if you take too much, glycinate or other higher forms are advised)
  • If you want to 'catch up' on sleep. Always do so by going to bed earlier not waking up later. (go to bed 1 cycle earlier).
  • If tired in the day, nap for (up to) 25 mins or 90 mins. Once you go over around 30 mins, your body expects 'proper' sleep and then when you wake, you will feel like SHIT. 90 mins on the other hand, is a full cycle.
  • Napping in our natural circadian dip 2-3:30 is best.

Another thing to note is becoming victim to the nocebo effect of my Oura scores. "I had subpar sleep, today is a write off" and then you begin to feel crap just because your scores said you probably should...

Sleep is without a doubt the most underrated component of health and cognition. Get this down, it will change your life. It's the 80/20 of health, and often the 'gateway drug' for other great habits. When you suddenly feel way better and have a lot more energy and prefrontal cortex control, going for a quick run is A LOT easier. A metaphor I like is that you are currently running a race (life/business/health) with a 20kg vest on (if you don't look after your sleep) - take the vest off, silly.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm curious. Anyone ever pay attention to how they sleep? As in position? Does it matter?

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I have exactly the same app and after checking the lastest scores the average is about 80 points. Never had above 90. I will try some of the things mentioned here and check if it works for me and how I feel. Maybe that's the reason why I'm feeling so tried and unfocused lately.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I'm curious. Anyone ever pay attention to how they sleep? As in position? Does it matter?

Data says we sleep best on our side with our strong arm on top to protect attacks to our vital organs...
On your back is also encouraged.
Sleeping on your front discouraged.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Data says we sleep best on our side with our strong arm on top to protect attacks to our vital organs...
On your back is also encouraged.
Sleeping on your front discouraged.
I get a sharp pain in my ribs when I sleep on my back.

RobPic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 6, 2018
Italy

I have been using the Oura ring for about 3 months.

I have the problem that even in good night sleep my ring counts 1,5 hour of awake time, which is crazy and impossible. As a consequence, I need like 9 hour of sleep to show to the algorythm that I have a decent amount of sleep.

For the rest It's pretty informing. I know that my resting heart rate (related to recover or stress) is affected by working too much or eating a heavy dinner before dinner and other useful things.

datagod

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Nov 29, 2019
Great topic! I try to stay away from all this tech gadgets. The best thing is to just avoid them. If we could sleep well before all this techonlogy gadgets etc. we can do also today, but that's just my opinion after all.

I need to fix my sleep too, as I really like to work late and if I work for to long, next day is really bad, moody (negative thinking, no energy, no focus etc.).

Plus I recommend program like f.lux: (Is your computer keeping you up late? f.lux is a free download that warms up your computer display at night, to match your indoor lighting.)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I’m saving up to get a Tempurpedic because anytime I sleep on my side I wake up with arm and shoulder pain; spring mattresses do that to me.
purple mattress .... no pressure points. sleep like a baby

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I have been using the Oura ring for about 3 months.

I have the problem that even in good night sleep my ring counts 1,5 hour of awake time, which is crazy and impossible. As a consequence, I need like 9 hour of sleep to show to the algorythm that I have a decent amount of sleep.

For the rest It's pretty informing. I know that my resting heart rate (related to recover or stress) is affected by working too much or eating a heavy dinner before dinner and other useful things.
so sleep quality / time, heart rate ..... it or the app do anything else?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Literally what I do. Thanks.

I get a sharp pain in my ribs when I sleep on my back.
I’m saving up to get a Tempurpedic because anytime I sleep on my side I wake up with arm and shoulder pain; spring mattresses do that to me.

Sucks when beds become our enemies. Glad I'm not the only one.

purple mattress .... no pressure points. sleep like a baby

Haven't done purple, but have tried Tuft & Needle, currently Brooklyn Aurora.

Still having shoulder pain. Unlike IronMan, I think I need to switch back to a spring mattress.

RobPic

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 6, 2018
Italy
so sleep quality / time, heart rate ..... it or the app do anything else?

The app tracks and shows resting heart rate, heart rate variability, difference on body temperature and respiratory rate and movements during night time and from that it calculates the amount of awake time, light, deep and rem sleep each day. From that results you get and overall sleep score.

During the day it tracks only movements and calculate overall activity score from that. You can add your own activity in order to be more precise. From that you have and activity score.

These two scores, combined with the scores of other days, affects the readiness score, which is the main thing that you will look at when you synchronize the ring during the morning. It goes from 0 to 100.

There is also a function called "moment" to check during the day your heart rate and heart rate variability to see how your body is doing. For example, I use it during meditation.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I covered all the little lights in my room, from aircon to fire alarm and monitor etc. I usually sleep with the slats on the inside if my window open to encourage me to wake up as early as possible, but shut them now which blacks out and seals completely. Put aircon on 18 degrees on the lowest fan setting.

Maybe it's because I was thinking about it, but it's the best nights sleep I've had in a long time. Still the same hours as I woke up to 6am alarm, but I felt a lot better than usual. I don't think my diet was anything different.

Once I had completely blacked out the room, it made how it usually looked like tokyo city lights lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.