The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buliding a Gaming journalism company

Skoomoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 14, 2019
After reading MJ's book I've written down every idea I could think of and one idea I keep racking over is gaming journalism and that's something I wanna make a business out of but there's so many independent gaming journalist out there that I wonder how can I be different than the rest. I'm m sure anyone who follows gaming news knows the competition I'm talking about. Then i came up with an idea of how about I make a virtual character doing the news/game review using motion capture a character pleasing to the human eye and can interact with different environments that's also cost-effective. I've already developed the character and in the process of learning the software, I need to make this happen. But do you guys think people would actually want this or am i just wasting my time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
Reminds me of Arlo, who is using a puppet for video review on youtube. It seems to work for him, as you can see below:

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I can tell you that a lot of people despise gaming journalism right now, because it is bad. Most of the journalists seem to barely play the games they review, and more in general the votes and reviews are mostly subjective, and franchises always get a pass even with the most awful products.

It doesn't help that accidents like this happen all the time, and more in general, whenever a "hard" (quotes are necessary in this case) game comes out a lot of these gaming sites will be like "ugh I hate hard games, games are supposed to be super fun and relaxing not feel like work", it makes you wonder how they even became gaming journalists in the first place.

The potential is definitely there, and there's a need for good gaming journalism in general.

Regarding your specific idea: it could be a nice way to get a following, I don't know if it's going to be sustainable long-term, but it's a good way to start. Regarding your presentation style, I agree with the comment in the above post, go for a more mature style, there are a lot of people who play videogames who are older than 25 years old, and who are looking for more mature content.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
My take is that if you stay true to reporting on genres you actually play and are decent at, and if you make a female fantasy CGI character that is sexy but not too sexy, it could do really really well.

For example, I just opened up twitch:

Watched for a few minutes. This girl is pretty boring. Her commentary is mediocre at best. But hey she's young and not bad looking so why not join 5,600 people watching her play!

In the long run you could have other journalists that report on the genres that they enjoy but you don't and round out the market! Give them their own characters or all share one, etc, etc, etc

Potential for sure, and if you're true to yourself and respond well to the market, I could envision it doing quite well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Skoomoo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 14, 2019
I can tell you that a lot of people despise gaming journalism right now, because it is bad. Most of the journalists seem to barely play the games they review, and more in general the votes and reviews are mostly subjective, and franchises always get a pass even with the most awful products.

It doesn't help that accidents like this happen all the time, and more in general, whenever a "hard" (quotes are necessary in this case) game comes out a lot of these gaming sites will be like "ugh I hate hard games, games are supposed to be super fun and relaxing not feel like work", it makes you wonder how they even became gaming journalists in the first place.

The potential is definitely there, and there's a need for good gaming journalism in general.

Regarding your specific idea: it could be a nice way to get a following, I don't know if it's going to be sustainable long-term, but it's a good way to start. Regarding your presentation style, I agree with the comment in the above post, go for a more mature style, there are a lot of people who play videogames who are older than 25 years old, and who are looking for more mature content.

That's interesting. I wasn't really thinking of anything mature but it all comes down to will it still bring value to people? how do I make it more mature? Like what are some ideas I got a general basis and layout already. Like something more violent?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.