The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a SaaS based on Wordpress?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Thanks for all of the replies.

We’ve completely refined the MVP and in the process solved a few issues that we had.

We’re meeting with the developers again on Wednesday but we’ve now got a reasonable quote from them to build it on Java + Bootstrap which hopefully is a much better way to go.

Exciting times, looks like this project is going to be underway very soon!

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
Webdev here

Wordpress is mostly a blog platform, and cms nowadays.
A good approach would be to use a framework (for example "react" for frontend and "laravel" for the backend)

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
FWIW, Something that runs *on* WP is different than something that works *with* WP. With that said, I'd strongly advise you to NOT run on WP. In FL speak, you'd risk too much control.

I've made a lot of misc. little scripts, apps, and web-based tools over the years. Several were specifically for WP. Some started in the hack file before the plugin system was developed. Most are internal only, and I've never finished turning any into a SaaS.

One specific datafeed system was a stand alone system that I eventually made compatible with WP. At the time, there was a big stink about the licensing for WP plugins. Most users thought plugins should have the same license as WP since they required WP to actually function. This played a large role in my best plugin being pirated beyond reason.

In my opinion though, WP is and always has been an easy interface to a powerful backend: MySQL. I've always used it as a starting point to create apps/tools/sites/functionality without having to start the code completely from scratch. WP has become so bloated in recent years though, that I don't bother anymore. I'd need to tear out half the crap before getting started just to make it moderately useful anymore.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Aamir Ahmed

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 4, 2018

We’ve completely refined the MVP and in the process solved a few issues that we had.

We’re meeting with the developers again on Wednesday but we’ve now got a reasonable quote from them to build it on Java + Bootstrap which hopefully is a much better way to go.

Having worked with software developers for the last decade, I have learned that you cannot ever go with their timeline and a fixed cost project has a 95% probability of failing, especially if the payment plan is based on some form of advance and milestone payments. They will lose interest before the final payment, which can be between, 10-25%.
What has worked for me is the following:
Creating a product vision
Creating user stories.
Create mockups.
Ask them how many sprints will it take? ( sprint is usually 2 weeks)
Only pay for the first sprint advance, be available always for any explanation on a user story.
The goal of every sprint should be to show you a demonstratable feature. Once it is developed it should also be bug-free and be deployed on your server. This will take care of any unseen deployment costs later.
Last sprint should be the release sprint. Pay the final amount after the release sprint has been thoroughly tested by users/early adapters at your end.
I wish you the best of luck.

G

Guest24480

What made you choose Java for a web application? It's not a traditional choice for modern web development, where languages like PHP, JavaScript, Ruby and Python dominate.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
What made you choose Java for a web application? It's not a traditional choice for modern web development, where languages like PHP, JavaScript, Ruby and Python dominate.

That's what the developers are suggesting to build in.

They seem to really understand what we're trying to achieve, their proposal is very detailed and they clearly understand us. I originally suggest RoR but their developer is better at Java apparantly.

From the googling I did it seemed that Java was a pretty good solution and a lot of big apps are built on it!?

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Having worked with software developers for the last decade, I have learned that you cannot ever go with their timeline and a fixed cost project has a 95% probability of failing, especially if the payment plan is based on some form of advance and milestone payments. They will lose interest before the final payment, which can be between, 10-25%.
What has worked for me is the following:
Creating a product vision
Creating user stories.
Create mockups.
Ask them how many sprints will it take? ( sprint is usually 2 weeks)
Only pay for the first sprint advance, be available always for any explanation on a user story.
The goal of every sprint should be to show you a demonstratable feature. Once it is developed it should also be bug-free and be deployed on your server. This will take care of any unseen deployment costs later.
Last sprint should be the release sprint. Pay the final amount after the release sprint has been thoroughly tested by users/early adapters at your end.
I wish you the best of luck.

These are their proposed payment terms, I've not asked any of the below questions yet, they've given me this detail without being asked...

30% Downpayment
30% Middle Stage of the Project (TBD)
40% Upon Handover

I'd imagine 40% on completion will keep them motivated?

They have also said that they will build on their dev server but they will also deploy it to our own server at each stage.

What would be their first milestone? Do they build the UX and pages first? will they do it page by page?

My concern at the moment is, what do we class as middle stage of the project. (although they have written To Be Decided so they are quite flexible)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
They seem to really understand what we're trying to achieve, their proposal is very detailed and they clearly understand us. I originally suggest RoR but their developer is better at Java apparantly.

From the googling I did it seemed that Java was a pretty good solution and a lot of big apps are built on it!?

Java is bloated, slow, and takes longer to develop, as compared to something like NodeJS. They're just pitching you what they know.

Bootstrap is good for your frontend, however.

Programming languages used in most popular websites - Wikipedia

Java is listed, but don't be fooled. None of them use it to run their core platform.

These are their proposed payment terms, I've not asked any of the below questions yet, they've given me this detail without being asked...

30% Downpayment
30% Middle Stage of the Project (TBD)
40% Upon Handover

I'd imagine 40% on completion will keep them motivated?

They have also said that they will build on their dev server but they will also deploy it to our own server at each stage.

What would be their first milestone? Do they build the UX and pages first? will they do it page by page?

My concern at the moment is, what do we class as middle stage of the project. (although they have written To Be Decided so they are quite flexible)

They should build out the base functionality, with minimal UI for testing, first. I'd also classify this as middle stage. That way, they're not wasting time polishing it, only to have you change your mind and pivot.

RB96

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 10, 2017
United Kingdom
Have you ever thought of a Hybrid platform like Ionic etc that way you can easily convert it into "apps" for IOS and Android as well as being a web app

Theres mixed feedback and data about it and it some says its slows it down but to be honest I have used an app made in it and the beauty is that its "futureproof" for any code changes and language updates unlike native apps that have to be devved for each platform and updated with new OS iterations etc

NB I am not a Dev, its just my understanding when looking for Devs for some project ideas I have

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
I've agreed with a different developer, the app build starts on Monday!

Django backend, Angular Front End
Stripe for payments/subscriptions
Intercom for user engagement/onboarding
SparkPost for emails
Digital Ocean for hosting.
Integrated with Xero to keep track of accounting for the payments!

It's happening!

Thanks for the advice from everyone in this thread.

G

Guest24480

I've agreed with a different developer, the app build starts on Monday!

Django backend, Angular Front End
Stripe for payments/subscriptions
Intercom for user engagement/onboarding
SparkPost for emails
Digital Ocean for hosting.
Integrated with Xero to keep track of accounting for the payments!

It's happening!

Thanks for the advice from everyone in this thread.
That's more like it. You won't be disappointed going with Python over Java

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.