The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Bought a huge house with a 3 car garage and a pool!

goldstein

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Oct 31, 2017
@LeftBench ,what a beautiful story and a beautiful family you have. It's amazing to see the progress you've had in such a short period of time. Thank you very much for having the courage to share your journey with us and keeping the right attitude to change your situation. I have found a ton of value in reading your thread. In both taking action and learning how to sacrifice your own selfish needs for the well-being of your family. It takes a strong person to do so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench just read through the entire thread. What a journey you've made! Congrats on your progress and the realizations that you've made early before it turned for the worse. I'm glad to hear that life is going well for you.

Would you happen to have any updates in 2018? Curious to see how your progress is going a few months after your last update!

Hey brother! Thank you for the kind words. 2018 is off to a good start so far. Just cruising along now. I had to get rid of the beater pickup truck I bought, and we ended up getting a slightly used mini van. We have another payment again but its less than half of my old truck payment, thankfully.

Still chipping away and chugging along.. no complaints!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench ,what a beautiful story and a beautiful family you have. It's amazing to see the progress you've had in such a short period of time. Thank you very much for having the courage to share your journey with us and keeping the right attitude to change your situation. I have found a ton of value in reading your thread. In both taking action and learning how to sacrifice your own selfish needs for the well-being of your family. It takes a strong person to do so.

Thank you so much for this post!! I'm so happy my words could give you value... I really appreciate your kind comments. THANK YOU!! :)

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I hope everyone is crushing 2019.

Happy to report that our credit card debt is finally at $0.00!!!!!!!!!!

We are happy for many reasons, one being that my wife and I had our third child (3rd boy!) in October of 2018. So life has been crazy but awesome.

We kept our eyes on the goal. We strayed a bit and overspent here and there, but we are so pumped to be out of credit card debt finally.

Just wanted to let you all know. I hope everyone is well.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

We are happy for many reasons, one being that my wife and I had our third child (3rd boy!) in October of 2018. So life has been crazy but awesome.

We kept our eyes on the goal. We strayed a bit and overspent here and there, but we are so pumped to be out of credit card debt finally.

congrats!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Mission accomplished.

How are you gonna celebrate?

And after that, what’s next?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Being in the house cleaning business, I saw many families like yours was. The difference..... they were in over their heads and either didn't know where to turn or didn't want to face reailty and not look like a big shot to their friends. Your family on the other hand, did the right thing and it seems as though you are very happy. Your future looks bright! Stay happy.

Oh yeah, about the straying from your budget.... who ever reads this..... it's ok, we all need a little pick me up every now and then. If you are trying to get your life straight like this family did, just pick up the budget today, where you left off before and you will be debt free before you know it.

simonstanley

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 3, 2013
Man this is an inspiring thread, thank you for posting. I've been looking at buying my first property to live in, bank would lend me a fair bit, but this has reaffirmed that in the future I need to only buy what I need, an amount I can pay each month almost without having to think about it. An owned house / apartment is better than nothing and adds security to the equation, but indeed fastlane streams of income are the ultimate goal. Thanks again.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Mission accomplished.

How are you gonna celebrate?

And after that, what’s next?

I'm gonna upgrade and buy a massive house!

Just kidding. Not doing anything special.

What's next? Re-reading TMF , read Unscripted , get more involved in the forums, and focus on becoming a Fastlane Millionaire.

And staying out of debt

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA

I just read through the whole thread, amazing job! With the discipline you built up and the determination you used to reach your goals over the course of years I can see you making it into the fastlane.
Congratulations and best of luck!

Mike Stoian

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Dec 24, 2019
And now I'm up to my eyeballs in debt.

I make a decent living from my Slowlane job, but obviously its not what I want in life, which is why I am here. Recently my family and I upgraded to a much nicer home on a bigger piece of land. I knew that money was going to be tight, but didn't realize it was going to be THIS tight. We've been racking up some debt on the credit cards and are just barely able to cover all the bills. I have a few loans that will be paid off soon, making it easier to make sure all the bills will be paid, but I'll definitely still be living paycheck to paycheck.

This is possibly the best thing to ever happen to me though. I needed a kick in the a$$ to get myself back into the Fastlane mindset. Now that I'm feeling the heat knowing that I need to be making extra money to keep this roof over my family's head, I KNOW that I will succeed.

Thanks to the MF book and this forum, I have a much different MINDSET than I had years ago. I am making different CHOICES and I am experiencing a level of MOTIVATION that I've never experienced before. Old me would be blaming my poor choices on bad luck, my job, someone else, etc. New me is using this as a motivator to go out there and find some needs and kick some a$$.

Have a great night all.
Don't wanna be mean, after all I'm talking out of my a$$ but that sounds a lot like sidewalk to me

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
Don't wanna be mean, after all I'm talking out of my a$$ but that sounds a lot like sidewalk to me
Sounds Slowlane that you probably only read the intro. Left bench is a friend of mine and he’s a whole lot more fast lane then you

Andrew87

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 28, 2015
I'm gonna upgrade and buy a massive house!

Just kidding. Not doing anything special.

What's next? Re-reading TMF , read Unscripted , get more involved in the forums, and focus on becoming a Fastlane Millionaire.

And staying out of debt
Any updates?? I hope you and your family are well and kicking a$$!!

Cpatton88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 19, 2021
Louisburg, North Carolina
So...you're bragging about your Pool and 3 Car garage in Jersey, except you can't pay the bills?

Have you thought about selling the house and renting, and putting the rest of the money into a business?
He definitely is not bragging. He has acknowledged out loud the bad spot he put himself in and he is using this as his motivation to kick it in gear. This situation will be his drive to succeed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any update?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Resurfacing this for other people.

Read through all 7 pages.

Massive discipline! Congrats!

However, I do have some questions which can be answered by anybody living in the US.

How does one go into credit card debt by tens of thousands of dollars without student loans?

Do banks give you that much credit and you just use all of it to keep up with the Jetstones & end up paying only the interest?

I’m only 25 and have a credit card with a £250 limit. Not looking for bigger ones. just asking, how do people get into this kind of debt?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

However, I do have some questions which can be answered by anybody living in the US.

How does one go into credit card debt by tens of thousands of dollars without student loans?

Do banks give you that much credit and you just use all of it to keep up with the Jetstones & end up paying only the interest?

I’m only 25 and have a credit card with a £250 limit. Not looking for bigger ones. just asking, how do people get into this kind of debt?
The credit card companies figure out what you make each year and give you a large limit based on that. And it can be difficult to keep track of your spending when it doesn’t automatically show up on your statement.

But the real problem is most people don’t think twice about spending the money they traded their time for.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
it doesn’t automatically show up on your statement.
I get some credit cards don’t update on an instant but how long are we talking? monthly? Cause mine updates every day

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

Not sure how now but back in early 90s when I was in University at age 18 with zero income I was able to get a bunch of cards with limits of 2k each, total of 10k. I never maxed out but got in trouble with 5k card debt at age 23 and no student loans, thankfully had full ride for both BS and M.Ed.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I get some credit cards don’t update on an instant but how long are we talking? monthly? Cause mine updates every day
Mine can take a week to show a charge. Regardless, point is, lots of people don’t keep track of their spending and just buy whatever they feel like, even though they’re broke.

Black_Mamba_427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 6, 2022

lol I've got £50K/monthly credit card limit @ 29 in the UK - but I barely use it. Only use it for booking holidays or rental cars for protection/when I have to. Used to use it a lot for the cashback and pay it off in full the next month - but now use my crypto.com card for that as I get like 3% cashback.

I know a ton of people in the UK who are 5 figures in credit card debt. They do it by spending more than they earn and then once you have like 90% interest, they end up paying off only the interest or parts of it and it all just snowballs worse and worse.

Credit/debt when used properly is an amazing business leveraging tool. When used recklessly, it can be a nail in the coffin.

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019

I make a decent living from my Slowlane job, but obviously its not what I want in life, which is why I am here. Recently my family and I upgraded to a much nicer home on a bigger piece of land. I knew that money was going to be tight, but didn't realize it was going to be THIS tight. We've been racking up some debt on the credit cards and are just barely able to cover all the bills. I have a few loans that will be paid off soon, making it easier to make sure all the bills will be paid, but I'll definitely still be living paycheck to paycheck.

This is possibly the best thing to ever happen to me though. I needed a kick in the a$$ to get myself back into the Fastlane mindset. Now that I'm feeling the heat knowing that I need to be making extra money to keep this roof over my family's head, I KNOW that I will succeed.

Thanks to the MF book and this forum, I have a much different MINDSET than I had years ago. I am making different CHOICES and I am experiencing a level of MOTIVATION that I've never experienced before. Old me would be blaming my poor choices on bad luck, my job, someone else, etc. New me is using this as a motivator to go out there and find some needs and kick some a$$.

Have a great night all.
Not sure why this thread is marked as gold , there is the gold here ? just because he shine the MF form?

OP : I have a friend who also bought big house , and he had to start his business and he succeed , but he is still working his a$$ off 7 days a week

unicon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 23, 2008
ZERO BASED SPENDING WORKS EVERY TIME
THE DE-CLUTTER CONCEPT, NOT ATTAINING ANYTHING, GIVES VISIBILITY BY JUST REMOVING CLUTTER
THE ASSET UNSEEN SURFACES

Hayden Aquilon

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 6, 2018
Austin, TX

Have a great night all.
Tell me you still own the home and its worth 3x more now lol.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Thank you so much for this post!! I'm so happy my words could give you value... I really appreciate your kind comments. THANK YOU!! :)

@LeftBench

What’s happening with you these days? How did the story go the last few years?

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
I have loved this thread.

The tough love from the boys on here jolted him from his stupor and he took charge.

He is quiet because he is either very busy building stuff and getting it sold or in some darkness figuring out some stuff.

This thread inspired me. I have never been buried in debt. But I keep wondering what the F*ck I am doing that can make have a real impact.

Thank you @LeftBench and all forum members.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.