The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Bought a huge house with a 3 car garage and a pool!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Being "House Poor" is a horrible way to live life. Tell me that at least you bought a fixer upper (not just paint and some landscaping) that you can build equity into. I wish you luck.

If it truly is a fixer upper and you can build a good amount of equity into it, I would do that and sell it for a home that you and your family can better afford. Use your saving to invest in other projects to bring in cash flow.
Thanks for wishing me luck! You probably didn't read the rest of the thread. We sold the huge house. Made a little money off it but nothing spectacular. Have been paying off debt like a mad man. We just bought a much smaller, more affordable house. Currently in the process of fixing it up and getting moved in. Much happier.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Rdayley

New Contributor
Thanks for wishing me luck! You probably didn't read the rest of the thread. We sold the huge house. Made a little money off it but nothing spectacular. Have been paying off debt like a mad man. We just bought a much smaller, more affordable house. Currently in the process of fixing it up and getting moved in. Much happier.

That's great. Keep going in that route.

DifficultTruth

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Nov 22, 2016
Just read through the whole thread and wow! Your progress is amazing and you are absolutely taking action and making moves to put yourself in a better life for both you and your family, which is the essence of the fastlane. I am going to share this with some close friends who I think could benefit from it extremely in terms of making better financial decisions now so they don't have to go through the pain later. Congrats, I can't wait to keep checking on your progress!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Just read through the whole thread and wow! Your progress is amazing and you are absolutely taking action and making moves to put yourself in a better life for both you and your family, which is the essence of the fastlane. I am going to share this with some close friends who I think could benefit from it extremely in terms of making better financial decisions now so they don't have to go through the pain later. Congrats, I can't wait to keep checking on your progress!
Thank you! I really appreciate your words... and to think that my story could potentially help someone else's situation is absolutely amazing. I will definitely keep you updated on my progress!

Strider

Contributor
Apr 10, 2016
South Europe
Just read this whole thread and man I'm trully happy for you, what an example. Owning up to one's mistakes, having responsibility and accountability. I'm certain that your family is very proud of you and your wife and you will surely have tons to give to your children with what your learned along the way, much more than what that pool would give them.

Keep going man, hope to hear more good news from you!

Ps: Yesterday this video appeared on my feed

Last edited:

Action Mike

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Nov 9, 2016
Very inspirational thread. I'm glad you took the time to post what you were going through and how you have worked towards bettering yourself. It is great to see progress and a lot of people start where you did on their path to a better financial life and it takes work and time to dig your way out so its great to see stories unfold that give some hope.

Depending on how you like fixing up your new house that might be a viable option for a good business! I know some guys that sell 20 to 30 homes a year and make very good money. They focus a LOT on systems and hiring out all the physical work and spend very little personal time compared to the profits on each rehab.

@Strider
Excellent advice!

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Interesting that this story isn't about a business project.
It isn't about a first sale or a business idea breakthrough.
It isn't about "I did $100K last month!" or some explosive income goal.

It's about taking control and reclaiming your freedom by simply getting out of debt.

Discipline is rewarding, and it's a step all of us can take, no matter where we are in the process. :thumbsup:

cmor16

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
t's about taking control and reclaiming your freedom by simply getting out of debt.

Discipline is rewarding, and it's a step all of us can take, no matter where we are in the process. :thumbsup:
I was just thinking about this yesterday. Debt elimination is one of my main goals, as is replacing my current income working for myself, even if it isn't a Fastlane venture.

No debt + no boss = freedom to me. That said, divorcing my time from my income is still a major goal of mine, but it's just a little longer term.

G-Man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 13, 2014
@LeftBench Just binge read this thread and rep++

Downright Epic.

All the folks criticising this for not being "fastlane", I don't know what the F*ck you're talking about. This dude took massive action consistently over a period of time and has turned his life around. Kinda gets me pumped :thumbsup:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
getUnscripted.com
No debt + no boss = freedom to me.
Throw in a few million bucks on top of it. Then we're talking "f*ck you" freedom. :)

KSR

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
@LeftBench I just completely read through all 7 pages, wow is all I have to say.

It was seriously a rollercoaster of emotions... ranging from :rage: all the way to :clench:. Biggest grin on my face when you sold that house, paid off most of your debts, sold your car - paid off more debts and now you have you own very modest, yet beautiful house again (only realistic now).

I even stalked your IG for a little bit with that picture you posted with your Jeep (steal!), your family seems happy and that alone is way more important than any underground pool, or three-car garage. You've created memories by taking your family to Disney Land (World?), that alone is better that any long driveway.

This whole thread I was rooting for you, but don't forget the people who helped you along the way! That's a gift alone, you've got a beautiful, supportive family/extended family who have helped you through hard times - don't forget where you come from when your Fastlane adventure excels.

You've inspired me - this thread has taught me a lot. Live within my means, until your means broaden. I hope you keep us all updated regularly, for some reason I've felt a strong connection to this thread even though I can barely relate.

Stay healthy and stay wealthy my friend.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Interesting that this story isn't about a business project.
It isn't about a first sale or a business idea breakthrough.
It isn't about "I did $100K last month!" or some explosive income goal.

It's about taking control and reclaiming your freedom by simply getting out of debt.

Man this is so true. Learning discipline has helped me make so many positive changes. I came into this thread with literally no idea what I was talking about, and no idea what I was doing besides digging myself into a bigger hole. Focusing on the basics (spending, saving, paying debt, etc) and manning up and admitting that I f*cked up were huge steps. Then just hunkering down and being disciplined is what made the difference.

Thanks again for more kind words MJ. One day I hope to be a successful entrepreneur earning millions of dollars. For now I'll keep working on bettering myself every day.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench I just completely read through all 7 pages, wow is all I have to say.

It was seriously a rollercoaster of emotions... ranging from :rage: all the way to :clench:. Biggest grin on my face when you sold that house, paid off most of your debts, sold your car - paid off more debts and now you have you own very modest, yet beautiful house again (only realistic now).

I even stalked your IG for a little bit with that picture you posted with your Jeep (steal!), your family seems happy and that alone is way more important than any underground pool, or three-car garage. You've created memories by taking your family to Disney Land (World?), that alone is better that any long driveway.

This whole thread I was rooting for you, but don't forget the people who helped you along the way! That's a gift alone, you've got a beautiful, supportive family/extended family who have helped you through hard times - don't forget where you come from when your Fastlane adventure excels.

You've inspired me - this thread has taught me a lot. Live within my means, until your means broaden. I hope you keep us all updated regularly, for some reason I've felt a strong connection to this thread even though I can barely relate.

Stay healthy and stay wealthy my friend.
This post hit me right in the feels, man. Thank you so much for the kind words. It feels amazing to be able to go on a vacation with the family knowing that our bills are paid and that it won't devastate our financial situation. I appreciate you reading the whole thread and also looking into my IG.

What you said about the family couldn't be any truer... I am a LUCKY mofo to have the great family that I have!!

Reactions: KSR

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench Just binge read this thread and rep++

Downright Epic.

All the folks criticising this for not being "fastlane", I don't know what the F*ck you're talking about. This dude took massive action consistently over a period of time and has turned his life around. Kinda gets me pumped :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind words, G-Man. I really appreciate you brother! Glad my story got you pumped! KNowing that it pumped you up pumps me up!!

azsno

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 14, 2017
Durham, NC
Thanks Andy. What I've learned most from this experience is to use my brain more and not jump into major life decisions so recklessly. My wife and I bought a house we couldn't truly afford because we got ourselves so excited about all the nice things about it. "We'll make it work" was something that was said multiple times when it was brought up how tight money would become. I was so focused on thinking about all the great times we could have at this house and refused to acknowledge the fact that there would be severe financial strain.

While it has been frustrating for sure, I am confident that in 5 or 10 years from now I will look back at this experience and think of it as a positive one because I learned a valuable lesson.
Really old thread, still learning, but the old adage "We'll make it work" is part of the reason I'm in my current hole as well!

kwad

New Contributor
Jul 29, 2017
UK
Ended up here from another thread and ended up reading the whole thread front to back on the last night of my holiday....

@LeftBench this is epic, you're epic. Well done for sticking this out and being a shear inspiration to everyone. Not just in what you've achieved but also how to conduct yourself on these forums.

I can't help but think that your honesty with your wife has help to build a solid foundation as a husband and a father. I'm really excited for your future.

Stay blessed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Ended up here from another thread and ended up reading the whole thread front to back on the last night of my holiday....

@LeftBench this is epic, you're epic. Well done for sticking this out and being a shear inspiration to everyone. Not just in what you've achieved but also how to conduct yourself on these forums.

I can't help but think that your honesty with your wife has help to build a solid foundation as a husband and a father. I'm really excited for your future.

Stay blessed

Thank you so much Kwad! Life is good man! Lots of areas I need to improve, but I'm so much better off than I was. Gonna keep doing my thing! I'm glad you enjoyed the thread my friend. I REALLY appreciate your kind words.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Hey, everyone. Figured I'd give a quick update. My family is doing very well. We are loving life in our smaller, cozier home. I'm closer to work, and we are able to pay the bills. We just returned home from a trip to Disney World. Its nice being able to take trips and actually be able to pay for them, rather than just put everything on credit and regretting it all.

I'm still working my regular job. The house is almost completely fixed up on the inside and we still have some stuff to take care of outside of the home. Doing it slowly over time as the money comes in.

I've been working on a product that I'm excited to launch in the future. I work on it at night after the kids go to sleep, while the wife watches T.V., or in the morning after a night shift while the kids are at school and the wife is working. (Also at work when its slow but shhh)

That badass jeep that I bought a few pages back was awesome and lasted a while. Started having issues with it so I sold it for exactly what I paid for it!! Bought another beater, a pickup truck that looks terrible but runs well. I mainly use it to get to and from work with my wife having the "reliable" car for transporting the kids around.

Both of the kids are in preschool. Next year my older son moves on to kindergarten, which will save us a lot of money each month! My wife also started working part time at the preschool. Extra income is helpful but she also gets us a nice discount on the preschool tuition which is nice.

Anyways, there isn't much else to report. Still plugging away, just much happier and healthier than I was when I started this thread. I'm amazed at the PM's I still get on here (and some on IG) from people who tell me I've motivated them. I was definitely a disaster! I'm glad I was able to turn things around and if you're in a similar situation don't give up... you can do it too! I still haven't "made it" or reached true "Freedom" but I'm still a lot better off than I was, and now I have the time and money to work on other ventures, without all of the stress.

I hope all of you and your families are well. Enjoy the holiday season and let's all go and absolutely crush 2018.

Andrew87

New Contributor
Jan 28, 2015
Great job bro!! I actually came back into this thread to ask for updates but found you had just posted! Hope you and your family have a great holiday and hopefully your off work for it! Stay Safe!

NateTheGreat

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Aug 25, 2016
@LeftBench just read through the entire thread. What a journey you've made! Congrats on your progress and the realizations that you've made early before it turned for the worse. I'm glad to hear that life is going well for you.

Would you happen to have any updates in 2018? Curious to see how your progress is going a few months after your last update!

goldstein

Contributor
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa,Canada
@LeftBench ,what a beautiful story and a beautiful family you have. It's amazing to see the progress you've had in such a short period of time. Thank you very much for having the courage to share your journey with us and keeping the right attitude to change your situation. I have found a ton of value in reading your thread. In both taking action and learning how to sacrifice your own selfish needs for the well-being of your family. It takes a strong person to do so.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench just read through the entire thread. What a journey you've made! Congrats on your progress and the realizations that you've made early before it turned for the worse. I'm glad to hear that life is going well for you.

Would you happen to have any updates in 2018? Curious to see how your progress is going a few months after your last update!
Hey brother! Thank you for the kind words. 2018 is off to a good start so far. Just cruising along now. I had to get rid of the beater pickup truck I bought, and we ended up getting a slightly used mini van. We have another payment again but its less than half of my old truck payment, thankfully.

Still chipping away and chugging along.. no complaints!

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
@LeftBench ,what a beautiful story and a beautiful family you have. It's amazing to see the progress you've had in such a short period of time. Thank you very much for having the courage to share your journey with us and keeping the right attitude to change your situation. I have found a ton of value in reading your thread. In both taking action and learning how to sacrifice your own selfish needs for the well-being of your family. It takes a strong person to do so.
Thank you so much for this post!! I'm so happy my words could give you value... I really appreciate your kind comments. THANK YOU!! :)

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
I hope everyone is crushing 2019.

Happy to report that our credit card debt is finally at $0.00!!!!!!!!!!

We are happy for many reasons, one being that my wife and I had our third child (3rd boy!) in October of 2018. So life has been crazy but awesome.

We kept our eyes on the goal. We strayed a bit and overspent here and there, but we are so pumped to be out of credit card debt finally.

Just wanted to let you all know. I hope everyone is well.

Arun Siva

aspiring 大君 of the bourgeoisie
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 31, 2016
NORD-TRONDELAG
smythebates.com

We are happy for many reasons, one being that my wife and I had our third child (3rd boy!) in October of 2018. So life has been crazy but awesome.

We kept our eyes on the goal. We strayed a bit and overspent here and there, but we are so pumped to be out of credit card debt finally.

congrats!

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

Mission accomplished.

How are you gonna celebrate?

And after that, what’s next?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Being in the house cleaning business, I saw many families like yours was. The difference..... they were in over their heads and either didn't know where to turn or didn't want to face reailty and not look like a big shot to their friends. Your family on the other hand, did the right thing and it seems as though you are very happy. Your future looks bright! Stay happy.

Oh yeah, about the straying from your budget.... who ever reads this..... it's ok, we all need a little pick me up every now and then. If you are trying to get your life straight like this family did, just pick up the budget today, where you left off before and you will be debt free before you know it.

simonstanley

Contributor
Sep 3, 2013
Man this is an inspiring thread, thank you for posting. I've been looking at buying my first property to live in, bank would lend me a fair bit, but this has reaffirmed that in the future I need to only buy what I need, an amount I can pay each month almost without having to think about it. An owned house / apartment is better than nothing and adds security to the equation, but indeed fastlane streams of income are the ultimate goal. Thanks again.

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Mission accomplished.

How are you gonna celebrate?

And after that, what’s next?
I'm gonna upgrade and buy a massive house!

Just kidding. Not doing anything special.

What's next? Re-reading TMF, read Unscripted, get more involved in the forums, and focus on becoming a Fastlane Millionaire.

And staying out of debt

Tubs

Building discipline
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Apr 5, 2019
VA

I just read through the whole thread, amazing job! With the discipline you built up and the determination you used to reach your goals over the course of years I can see you making it into the fastlane.
Congratulations and best of luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom