The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I started my garage "business" at 22 with no experience working inside a garage or being a mechanic.

Idea threads

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
In the last month:

- The contract has been signed, I've officially given up a percentage of my business.
- It included leasing the business to him for 6 months, using this time to make a decision on how best to proceed, what I wanted to do, if I want to even be involved with the business anymore.
- We are currently dismantling the workshop for all of it to be moved up to North Wales.
- Gone through some basic ideas how to move forward with the business, which is exciting.

At the moment, I'm excited about the plans and the movement the partnership will bring, but I'm still not 100% how I feel about continuing with it, guess you could say I've still got a pretty bitter taste in my mouth maybe... that I need to work through before I make any decisions.

I'm going through some stress/food/intolerance related gut issues which is leading to massive brain fog, anxiety, indecisiveness, mood swings... so I'm really keen to just push recovery first, as I know im not firing on all cylinders at the moment. Which is frustrating. As I know most "driven" people are, we are really good at pushing through issues but that can compromise other things.. The last year I've changed my perspective on Health/wellbeing completely, my attitude simply put was I did care... but didn't really. Getting the job done was more important kinda vibe.

Certainly as I get older and wiser maybe I am really starting to realise how important your health is (funny when you say that out loud) how ignorant am I aha... anyway to bring it back from the slight tangent, I know that I absolutely cannot give it my all through this next stage of business/life if I don't heal first. So that's next stage plan.

Cheers all

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
Who's ready for a big update? I certainly am. Please bare with me, there so many bloody levels upon levels to this im not going to be able to write every single detail in this, but I will try and fill you in as best as possible without the being 10 pages long. (no exageration)

Within the first coupe of months, so like May/June/July plans had changed a fair bit. The contract was signed as above and lease payments were to be made for 6 months to give me some time to 'think' about the direction and have some time off.

After a week of basically handing him (XX) the business, I decided that I still wanted to be involved (yeah 6 months off sounded great... if I could sit still for that long) and we'd go 50/50 from here on out.

The ideas for the future of the business flowed really nicely, we had some areas where the business was weak and we could improve quite easily with more labour and cash.

The relationship with the guy was great, as I said before the vibe I got from him was great I very much knew partnering with someone would only really depend on the attitude and characteristics of the person, any other problems we could sort out, but you generally can't change personality quickly.

Rather than panicking on getting the business up and running as quick as possible we both were happy with the idea to take a couple of steps back, seize trading for a couple of months to help with the move and to help with future plans.

So that's what we did, 1/1.5 months were spent planning, finding a couple of suitable commercial workshops, we even delved into getting planning permission to build a HQ on, which was a longer term vision, but it was a now or never type move, that was an obvious risk in terms of financial outlay - but it would work we were both confident in that.

The land that we did find had building and usage restrictions so we parked that dream, but a few offers went in on other bigger commercial units.

Taking what I had at 1600sqft, up to around 8000sqft - it was all really exciting compared with the low that I was in, from realising my passion turned dream business was falling apart in front of me because I lost the love for it, the lease not renewing on the workshop, and just generally being in a bad place (family bereavement)

During this time the discussion turned to the money (around 2.5/3months)
Firstly, I still hadn't received the first lease payment, now to be fair we were both very much working hard and excited and the plans for the future kept my mind completely distracted to the fact I was owed around £20k.

It was also decided considering I was back in the business within a week out of 6 months, there was no reason to wait for the 6 months before receiving the final payment for the sale of the business. So it was agreed full payment including the full 6 months lease would be covered at once. So great news for me... I thought.

It was explained that it would take a couple of months for the funds to be realised from other capital/accounts/investments - fair enough, the lease payments were overdue anyway we'd just carry on with that until the money could be transferred.

Throughout this time, I met the guy in person, we regularly met up for lunches, dinners, meetings, zoom calls etc - we even viewed personal investment properties together, sent each other photos of our dogs, cars, fun stuff - had a bit of a bromance together it was cool to find someone like minded, with similar upbringings, and similar vision to move forward with. My girlfriend joked he was my business boyfriend. that kinda shit...

A couple of months went by and still no payment had been received... alright ok, we're still chatting most days, lets just be upfront, we're still awaiting the lease payments, still awaiting the final payment, and were slacking a bit in other areas of the business planning.

The payment had been sent he replied, but was going through security/fraud checks due to the amount -fair enough. benefit of the doubt and all that.

Couple of weeks went by no payment, I asked to get the remittance for the payment "yeah mate no worries, I'll have one of the team get that to you"
...2 weeks...
Hey mate any chance of that?
"oh sorry mate, my step dads in hospital at the moment, in a coma"

A fair amount of back and forth going on, still a lot of excuses, still no money.

Please bare in mind I have shorted a lot of this down as 1000s of messages between us, obviously there's some sensitive topics in here about health, which I do care about, but I won't go into.

By this point relationship was turning a little bit sour. I had called him out on multiple occasions for not being able to provide proof of this transaction, but remained straight and just said look I need some cashflow coming in now, please just fulfil the lease payments lets get that bit sorted at least.

To add to this - he has one of the work phones, my assets in storage, one of my sports cars in storage. Im out of pocket pretty big time. yay

At one point the excuse he gave was that his s.dad had died, which obviously came as a shock and I was like oh man, lets just pause this until you're ready to continue, I don't want to be the guy asking for money, however much im owed, when a family member has died...

Which weeks later I found out that wasn't true, I confronted him on that and a few over toxic/dishonest traits this guy was starting to show; victim mentality, emotional manipulation, the money, including the plans going forward with the business, how he sweet talked me with cars, trips, holidays, getting back into motorsport - boy I was ready to be his toy boy. lol (I'm kidding)

This was when he kinda broke down on me admitting he has been super toxic, super stressed, super behind on work load, he was disgusted that he lied about it, but know he has health issues that are going to set him back even further...

F*ck sake I was thinking, this again. ( but I actually knew about his health issues, this was explained before I really started to get to know him)

But anyway, this was now star of the show, the reason why the payments?? the remittance?? all the things were backed up and taking this long.

I reasoned with him, understood his problems etc, explained to him that all I really needed right this second was proof that the transfer had been done, or some kinda evidence that didn't just take his word for it... Yep I was a little late on asking for actual.. I dunno proof of actual digits in his account cash monies.. but yeah hey again were here with more excuses, or yep ill get that in a weeks time, that day arrives, "ah sorry mate, still got this thing on"

I was in a pretty lost and confused position... (still am) I'm sure many people have been there when you're chasing and chasing someone, and there's just so many layers and levels of "bull shit" you have to sift through, then you can't even remember the first point you actually made, or what the point you're making is about even... days turn into weeks so F*cking easily, and the direction of the conversation is so far not on track, its not even a F*cking train anymore.

Anyway now lets put some kind of conclusion to this
- This is still ongoing to this day
- I've been in contact with his "financial advisor" I think... I don't even know who he is (background check of social media, doesn't come up trumps) ive not even spoken to him on the phone despite my efforts.
- He says he doesn't deal with XX personal business but due to his illness, he's stepped in to help.
- Multiple times he's changed zoom meetings dates,
- He genuinely says the payment has been made, and all good to go, sorry about the delays blah blah
- You'll received a remittance within the next couple of days.
- Subject XX is still in hospital at this moment in time.

I'm owed a lot of money, I'm currently 'living' off a refinanced house, and some emergency funds I had available, which the plan was to dump that into another house, refinance, dump and so on... and I'm still doing some contracting style work as and when to 'stay afloat'

I'm currently a bit frozen/paralysed in this whole situation. Its been an absolutely world wind and I think i'm still not the right way up.

I've spoken with a solicitor, there's obviously a civil case here, and in addition a criminal case of fraud also. Nothing has been done further with this as of yet.

I get the vibe that things are starting to take shape and behind the scenes organisation is being sorted..... I said vibe, I don't know or have proof...

OOOOOOOR I'm still being lied to and this financial advisor is actually XX, and I'm still not sure if this is one big long term scam, and now he's rinsed me of everything I've got, destroyed the reputation of the business, then will make me an offer to buy the business at very low price, or just block my number, and completely F*ck off with everything..

Anyway, go me, once again my trust in people slaps me in the face, and my naïveity to the situation has got me into a sticky situation.

So anyway, how's you guys?

Matt

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
The reason I'm posting this is not for sympathy, its for learning. For me, for others.

1 year ago this would of totally destroyed me, I'm owed a huge amount of money.
"SORRY F*ckING WHAT, i'm going to k**l this guy"

I know this is a "small" hump in the road, I know my journey and life is bigger than this problem. I know this money is life changing, and I'm not going to roll over, but I'm also not going to let it kill my energy.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Peace and love

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
it's also not too doom and gloom,
- I've been busy on many a adventure trip
- I learnt how to fly a paramotor
- I learnt how to fly a jetpack
- My health, gut issues, toxin removal is great
- Exercising twice a day
- Starting to find my old self back

Attachments

• 92972BDB-0E91-4465-A76A-A739173AB0D9.JPG
    92972BDB-0E91-4465-A76A-A739173AB0D9.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A3EFD232-AC04-4976-850E-8EC301E40922.JPG
    A3EFD232-AC04-4976-850E-8EC301E40922.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 18.00.37.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 18.00.37.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
So last week I found out that the "buyer" of the business doesn't have a pot to piss in...

He had fraudulently produced documents showing capital, obviously was in breach of contract, lied about his step dad being dead etc (which I had given him some leniency on payment deadlines for) lied, just about everything.

So there we go, 7 months I've been strung along, I've invested around 20-30k of my own money into 'future plans', I'm currently still missing one of my cars that he's got in 'storage' (E90 m3, Melbourne red, manual 20/25k) (but now doesn't know where it is - genuinely that's his reasoning...) he's been using my funds to fire fight previous problems...

quite simply, it's been an absolute nightmare, the kinda stuff you read and go, wow that's a shit situation to be in.

I feel in 2 ways with the mental side of things, although yeah it's been F*cking horrendous situation, like genuine high level stress and unknowing for the last 3 months, I am just so grateful these lessons have been learnt at this stage in my life, I know its a small issue in the grand scheme of my 'projected life' and I'm putting it down to being 'tested' I'm about to delve into a new path/level, and this was a test to see if I'm ready yet... I dunno

On the other hand this may be the wrong attitude, kinda on the lines of ignorance is bliss? I don't know. either way it is what it is... and here we are.

Documented for other people to hopefully take lessons from too.

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
Good afternoon,

Had a meeting with another potential buyer/investor of the business this morning, which was interesting.

(he had actually messaged me at the start of this ordeal, but I had said we were occupied with the previous buyer) so I got back in contact with him during the time of realising the first sale wasn't going to way I thought it was going to go.

He's just exited from a previous business (all legit) and wants to get into a more passion based industry for him, I've been open about the whole last 7 months situation and he's understanding and still keen to move forward. We've got another meeting (3 hours) next week to really go through what this situation might look like, if it fits both of what we are after etc.

Good potential, looking forward to next week to get into the nitty gritty.

what a rollercoaster.

In other news, I've made more money (profit) this month than in all the time the business ran without even lifting a finger - well a couple of phone calls to be precise. (sub contracting work out)

I've left the company socials and advertising very dormant currently as I was unsure on what to do, I should start putting some effort into getting more heavily involved in the marketing and advertising, google search, etc as this is something I've always lacked (due to always spinning plates being the technician, the manager and the entrepreneur when we were operating)

TLivingEngineer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 14, 2023
So as above I've started putting more effort into generating and capturing leads that currently as a mechanical business with no workshop, to be able to sub contract out a lot of the work I used to get with relationships I built previously is amazing. It really is a change from working 100 hours a week, covered in shit, stressed out of my mind and lonely haha.

Implementation below;

- Advertising specific services and only those services that I've got a really good start to finish job system with. (Website, and as sale adverts on Ebay/Facebook)
- I can slowly start advertising more services than I previously did, but I need to at least have the system In place, rather than becoming a busy fool again chasing my tale, £££ signs in my eyes not thinking about the end result/process.
- Thinking about how I can incorporate a Facebook selling page (see below) to help. (building a community from it, offering mechanic advice, eventually selling from it etc etc )

In my head I'm thinking there's a great position here to sell some digital products/courses/ etc but do I want to find myself tarred with the same brush as these online gurus? should I care? and maybe I won't be because my attitude is totally different... or so I think..

Facebook group

Some time ago, maybe 5 years I bought a Facebook group with about 60k members for £20 lol, everyone commented thought I was mad (you can't buy a Facebook group, ripped off blah blah) I've been passively growing it now to 100k (full of like minded people who are into cars, bikes, jets, trucks, tanks etc)

So this is another thing I want to facilitate the workshop, and really it's easily got more scope and scale to be independent, as the market that it aims at is huge. Where as my performance mechanics business is quite specific to performance cars/motorsport. The group just encapsulates petrolheads across the whole spectrum.

So basically more thinking is needed and researching - on how best to use this audience and the best value I can provide to them, in return for some money hopefully...

Investor update

The investor and I have been speaking regularly and we're both keen to move the business forward so we've got 3 viewings on workshops next week. We've come up with a 2 year action plan, bit of a year on year budgeting and investment plan which is cool to see, this guy is very corporate in a way, I just get stuff done without really thinking about it, but he's more particular and planned. Which there's a nice synergy in both of our traits there.

I'm feeling good about this, there's doubt from how the last time went, but this time already its off to a much better start...

Will keep you updated on that one..

If you've got any ideas how I can think about this Facebook group then i'm all ears? or just a throw a comment down below in general.

cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.