The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Born in the USSR

simxela

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys!

Have you ever wondered how it was there?
Just like @DarkKnight , I've been raised in the 3rd world country(Ukraine), with a set of other limiting factors, some impossible to fix.
If you've ever wondered how it was, here's a quick glimpse:
1. For fun, after school we used to throw chestnuts across the street. One time my friend hit a lady in the head and we had to run for our lives when she chased us.
2. Also, for fun, I used to check dumpsters for any interesting trash (like cigarette boxes - not sure what was interesting about them at the time).
3. My friend stole my lego figures and transformers and taught me to smoke at age of 8.
4. From that experience, I learned to steal things. It didn't go well. I was discovered and I still remember how my father's belt felt.
5. My mother's office in the center of Kyiv was owned/"protected" by mob and they'd sometimes have shootouts nearby. We always knew that if you hear loud sounds, stay away from windows.
6. The rich mostly became so by stealing and/or hurting other people, so being rich was kind of a stigma.

Anyway, that was the environment.

Three other factors made it a little (read - a lot) worse:
1. As a dyslexic, I struggled at school and I hated almost every day of the 11 years there. For this reason I dropped out of medical school after 2,5 years.
2. At around 19 my liver decided it no longer wanted to work, so now it works at about 30% the usual. I haven't drunk alcohol for many years.
3. I sleep well about 2 nights per month (probably due to liver).

However.
I changed my environment by moving to Japan and I manage my health by being very careful with what I do.

All this taught me one thing important in life of unscription.
Tolerate suffering.

For example, in the past year alone:
1. My son was diagnosed with eye cancer.
2. I lost my teaching job (after 5 years).
3. My wife asked me to leave (because I work too much)/

So, what did I do in 2020?
1. We had to make quick painful decisions. Now my son is OK, but has one eye (and a prosthetic one).
2. I started my own school(where I teach kids English, STEAM and Art), and already survived my business partner bailing on me.
3. I'm doing my best as a father and stay with my son despite the "cold" reception from her. I need to teach him how to deal with life.

If I learned anything in life it's that:
1) for every setback, you get an equal gift or opportunity.
2) good things come to people who are prepared and who make right choices.
3) it's much easier to tolerate suffering if you have a purpose and meaning in life.

I'd like to say thank you @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum and for writing your books.
I've listened (dyslexia) to Unscripted twice and got a ton of value from it.
I can only imagine what else you're capable of and I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects!
Also, this forum has been great in shaping my thinking and focusing my attention on the right things. Thank you everyone!

Alex

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Alex, thanks for sharing ... hope things turn around, seems like you have a good start.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi guys!

Have you ever wondered how it was there?
Just like @DarkKnight , I've been raised in the 3rd world country(Ukraine), with a set of other limiting factors, some impossible to fix.
If you've ever wondered how it was, here's a quick glimpse:
1. For fun, after school we used to throw chestnuts across the street. One time my friend hit a lady in the head and we had to run for our lives when she chased us.
2. Also, for fun, I used to check dumpsters for any interesting trash (like cigarette boxes - not sure what was interesting about them at the time).
3. My friend stole my lego figures and transformers and taught me to smoke at age of 8.
4. From that experience, I learned to steal things. It didn't go well. I was discovered and I still remember how my father's belt felt.
5. My mother's office in the center of Kyiv was owned/"protected" by mob and they'd sometimes have shootouts nearby. We always knew that if you hear loud sounds, stay away from windows.
6. The rich mostly became so by stealing and/or hurting other people, so being rich was kind of a stigma.

Anyway, that was the environment.

Three other factors made it a little (read - a lot) worse:
1. As a dyslexic, I struggled at school and I hated almost every day of the 11 years there. For this reason I dropped out of medical school after 2,5 years.
2. At around 19 my liver decided it no longer wanted to work, so now it works at about 30% the usual. I haven't drunk alcohol for many years.
3. I sleep well about 2 nights per month (probably due to liver).

However.
I changed my environment by moving to Japan and I manage my health by being very careful with what I do.

All this taught me one thing important in life of unscription.
Tolerate suffering.

For example, in the past year alone:
1. My son was diagnosed with eye cancer.
2. I lost my teaching job (after 5 years).
3. My wife asked me to leave (because I work too much)/

So, what did I do in 2020?
1. We had to make quick painful decisions. Now my son is OK, but has one eye (and a prosthetic one).
2. I started my own school(where I teach kids English, STEAM and Art), and already survived my business partner bailing on me.
3. I'm doing my best as a father and stay with my son despite the "cold" reception from her. I need to teach him how to deal with life.

If I learned anything in life it's that:
1) for every setback, you get an equal gift or opportunity.
2) good things come to people who are prepared and who make right choices.
3) it's much easier to tolerate suffering if you have a purpose and meaning in life.

I'd like to say thank you @MJ DeMarco for creating this forum and for writing your books.
I've listened (dyslexia) to Unscripted twice and got a ton of value from it.
I can only imagine what else you're capable of and I'm looking forward to seeing your future projects!
Also, this forum has been great in shaping my thinking and focusing my attention on the right things. Thank you everyone!

Alex
Sorry to hear about your liver condition and your son’s eye issues. Hope that things are turning around.

What do you mean when you say your wife is asking you to leave because you work too much?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

simxela

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jan 15, 2021
Sorry to hear about your liver condition and your son’s eye issues. Hope that things are turning around.

What do you mean when you say your wife is asking you to leave because you work too much?
Thanks!

Basically she says: "you work too much, don't spend time with kids, don't make enough money, you're useless POS, so get out"

Unfortunately, she's right. My working schedule is in the afternoons (since I run after-school classes), so it doesn't match the family, I work on Saturdays, and my income is lower than my job a year ago.

I do spend time with kids (3 and 11) whenever I can. I also work hard to make more money, so leaving doesn't make sense. I treat this situation as if I'm dealing with a hurt a**hole (pardon my language). Ignore and just do the right thing.

I'm not great at relationships but I'm improving (albeit very slowly).

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...