The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Biggest Pain Point in Starting a Business

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
This is for anyone who wishes to contribute...

Looking back on your startup process, what, that you remember, was the most challenging pain point/obstacle that you faced, or what do you wish could have been easier or more straightforward to allow you to build your business?

The more I see from others, the more it seems that it was gaining prospects as potential customers. But with others, perhaps it was insufficient funds, lack of technical know-how and resources, or even trying to find an idea.

Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the biggest challenge is going from the idea phase to the execution phase.

Sometimes that journey to a salable product (or service) can take weeks, months. During that time is when entrepreneurs lose steam and motivation, or worse, they talk themselves out of it.

bmarone

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Nov 15, 2011
I think the biggest challenge is going from the idea phase to the execution phase.

Sometimes that journey to a salable product (or service) can take weeks, months. During that time is when entrepreneurs lose steam and motivation, or worse, they talk themselves out of it.

What is it about this transition, do you think, snags the majority of people, in most cases anyway.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Biggest challenge for me has always been getting away from depressed family. Choosing not to be around friends who bring you down is easy, choosing not to be around family that brings you down is hard. Makes me sleepy and messes with my Zen.

PSDSH

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 4, 2013
North Texas
Biggest challenge for me has always been getting away from depressed family. Choosing not to be around friends who bring you down is easy, choosing not to be around family that brings you down is hard. Makes me sleepy and messes with my Zen.

You should move. One of the best decisions I ever made was to move 800 and now 2000 miles away from me and my wife's family.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
What is it about this transition, do you think, snags the majority of people, in most cases anyway.

Lack of validation/paying customers, coupled with the knowledge that there are 1,000 ways your business could fail. You have to have incredible willpower and an unfaltering belief in yourself and your product to get from idea to recurring revenue. Depending on the nature of your product/service you may also need to be able to sell the upside of your product/service before it makes any money, in order to attract friends-and-family or seed/angel investors.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
You should move. One of the best decisions I ever made was to move 800 and now 2000 miles away from me and my wife's family.

I'm already moved. No matter where you go your family will always be your family. You can move away but you can't replace them. If you decide to not spend time with them you are essentially choosing to be an orphan. If its a choice that has to be done then it should be done, but it sucks nonetheless.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
no doubt for me.. idea to production..

impossible to find answers to most of my questions so I give up trying to make whatever it is I was going to invent...

then I end up going back to the same easy entry stuff that doesnt work

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Lack of a feedback loop. No sales = no validation.

G

Guest3722A

Lack of Control.

With me, it can be something unexpected such as an income stream stopping due to something unforeseen or even a landlord of some leased commercial space that doesn't honor the terms in the lease agreement.

The change in income just slows me down. Things do keep moving forward, but at the pace of being able to finance them. Landlord issues though are nightmares.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Lack of Self-Belief

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Starting a business is a pain point of starting a business.

With that being said it is more like a series of pain points that I need to tackle. I thought about this but looking back at previous "pain points" they were just hurdles that needed to be overcome. Looking at some of the more daunting tasks we've had to do the best thing I've learned to do is celebrate the small victories to help keep motivation where it needs to be.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
The doubters and the naysayers that will put you down and put you down harshly, the closer the friend/family the harder they will attack your plans. They seem to think its their duty to stop you.

Then there is self doubts that creep in constantly which you have to battle away forociously because if you dont they will embed in your self concsience, once there you will talk your way out of your plans as its too risky and you dont want to fail or lose money.

Theres also being too arrogant and stubborn to listen to peoples opinion on your fastlane plan and do it anyway, and totally go bankrupt or broke within months (had a friend do this lately, went to set up a tea business (retail) in Bangkok, he was out of business within 2 months)

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
642%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
As others have said, its generally the lack of believing in yourself that your execution will work. The voice that tries to talk the idea out of your head. Not gaining any clients/customers thus feeling that your idea or model is flawed. It really has to do with not putting in as much effort as you should. If you put in the efforts and get away from the negative talk, your ideas can become a reality.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
1) Psychology. The psychology of "finding a good idea" is something I still fall into in my low points. The psychology of not wanting to do anything, or kick ideas back and forth so I feel like I'm doing something when I'm not. Overcoming the self is huge.
2) Finding initial customers. First one is always the hardest -- that's why I started specializing in getting first sales. I'm getting a lot better at it as time goes on, which is a good thing I think.

Ashten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
May 30, 2014
San Diego, CA
I don't think you should worry about any of the steps. You know it's not going to be a pick-nick, but you know you're going to get it done. Tackle each part of the process with laser focus. I would recommend getting a 'Mastermind' together with someone that has your drive, and set up one definite chief aim.

What this does is it provides power, recharges batteries when feeling doubt, stimulates ideas, unleashes creativity for improvement, and gives unwavering faith that you're going to do what you set out to do. (There's a lot more information you do need before starting one, I suggest reading 'The Law of Success' by Napoleon Hill. Long book but good information on all of the most successful business people up until that time.)

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I'm already moved. No matter where you go your family will always be your family. You can move away but you can't replace them. If you decide to not spend time with them you are essentially choosing to be an orphan. If its a choice that has to be done then it should be done, but it sucks nonetheless.

I have so many "family" members. My best friend, his family is my family, my gf... obv her family is my family. Anyone I am close with, their family is my family. Just be open and warm. I guess I am a bit younger (20) so it may be different. But I literally just allow anyone to join my life if they are warm, caring, and motivate me. My actual extended family is shit, but I talk to them once every 6 months... so who cares!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.