The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Better late than never

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Hi my name is Paul and I live in the UK. I'm 57, so not the usual Fastlane member, and have been retired for two years now. I have just started reading Fastlane and unfortunately have seen far too much of my life in the first dozen chapters (living too long on the sidewalk, or pavement as we call it over here, and being seduced by the slowlane). I'm rich in family and time but not freedom to easily do everything I want and provide more than enough for my loved ones. I believe if a twenty year old can do it why not a fifty(plus) year old. I've joined this forum mainly through curiosity since I'm not a big forum user, but the book(thanks MJ @Mr DeMarco ) has really got to me, so fast lane here I come.
@MJ DeMarco

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Having now completed the Fastlane book ( thanks MJ @MJ DeMarco it's awoken something within that has been dormant for too long) I feel I should give a better introduction, though to be honest I'm not use to this type of thing and feel as uncomfortable as some one at their first AA meeting - hi my name is Paul and I'm a slowlaner....

Many years ago I bought into the slowlane philosophy, the Richest man in Babylon was me roadmap and I believed and perceived and conceived an idea and acted upon it with full commitment. I use to work down the pit, like my dad, his dad and his dad...but having seen my grandad retire at sixty three and die within two years I set the goal to retire early so I could at least enjoy it for a little longer than two years.

I set aside 10%, due to lack of trust in financial institutions ( they made money whether you did or not) I read as many books as I could on investing and controlled my own portfolio. I managed to miss a lot of the turmoil on the market but it was work and returns only about 3% on average. I had the live within your means mindset and continued along this road for forty years. If I were ever to write a book it would not be a how to but a how not to book, my dream was small and I achieved it, I have a money tree but it's a bonsai, life is adequate (I no have Groundskeeper Willie in all his finery singing "wouldn't it be adequate" inside my head), I bought the things I wanted because I lowered my expectations and hence my desires.

When I read about MJ using a calculator that tabulated his "wealth percentile" I thought I do it, I'm in the bottom 10%.I'm technically poor and have been for many years, I travelled the wrong road using the wrong map, I reached my destination but my destination was Shitsville.

The Fastlane book has been a kick up the backside, my perception has begun to change, I know that if a twenty something can do this so can a fifty something, the fast lane doesn't recognise age, I now have my reasons to do this, I've reflected my life and analyzed the forks in the road and where they took me and I now have a new game plan. Time may not be on my side but I know that that isn't the issue, desire and passion are. I can invest in myself, I have shown myself capable of commitment (forty years commuted to wrong map), I'm now seeing needs all around, beginning to think as a producer and not a consumer, have worked out my new destination, defined the lifestyle, assessed the cost and calculated my money system target and business system target, now to make it real, I now have the beginning of the means.

My story shows the slowlane doesn't work, even if you do reach your destination (preaching to the converted I think) but the Millionaire Fastlane has reawakened my dreams and has given them a chance to live. Thank you.

I'm not much for writing and this is the most I've done in a long time ( actually writing the book I mentioned at the start would be interesting then) but I'm using this forum to hold my self accountable, if you don't keep hearing from me I'm either dead, or as good as if I've gone back to the old way.

Cheers
Paul

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Hi my name is Paul and I live in the UK. I'm 57, so not the usual Fastlane member, and have been retired for two years now. I have just started reading Fastlane and unfortunately have seen far too much of my life in the first dozen chapters (living too long on the sidewalk, or pavement as we call it over here, and being seduced by the slowlane). I'm rich in family and time but not freedom to easily do everything I want and provide more than enough for my loved ones. I believe if a twenty year old can do it why not a fifty(plus) year old. I've joined this forum mainly through curiosity since I'm not a big forum user, but the book(thanks MJ @Mr DeMarco ) has really got to me, so fast lane here I come.
@MJ DeMarco
I also posted a thread about my 67 year old parents (too lazy to fiddle around with my mobile phone to paste an URL) and I like your post. I will rescue my family.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
I also posted a thread about my 67 year old parents (too lazy to fiddle around with my mobile phone to paste an URL) and I like your post. I will rescue my family.
I've just posted an answer @Galaxy16 on your post about your father. I'd let him read the books they may change his life, and if they don't so what.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I’m rich in family and time.

Me too. Less so in money, but that will come. It’s a journey and it doesn’t happen overnight.

Welcome Paul. Great to have you onboard. Don’t underestimate the knowledge and experience you bring to the table - not just to this forum, but to business and life.

Don’t forget: “Wisdom is earned.” You’re wiser than you think.

EDIT: You write well. Following (you, not just this thread).

Last edited:

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Welcome Paul. Great to have you onboard. Don’t underestimate the knowledge and experience you bring to the table - not just to this forum, but to business and life.

EDIT: You write wel

Thank you Andy that is very much appreciated.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
@p0stscript

Gary Vaynerchuck (you can look him up on YouTube) is a quite successful entrepreneur. He is 40ish, and talks a LOT about how the future does not belong just to 20-30 somethings. How if you're 50, 60, 70, you can leverage your knowledge and experience in life to really make things happen in business still.

I don't know your situation, but, I bet you've learned a lot in your life, in all sorts of areas. You likely have a lot of value to bring to others.

I just wanted to add, that this is just a process, and anyone can do it, if they want to.
Where are you thinking you're going to focus your energy, and how are you going to get started?

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Gary Vaynerchuck (you can look him up on YouTube) is a quite successful entrepreneur. He is 40ish, and talks a LOT about how the future does not belong just to 20-30 somethings. How if you're 50, 60, 70, you can leverage your knowledge and experience in life to really make things happen in business still.
Cheers for the information, I'll search out his talks, from the sound of it they'll be very useful.

Where are you thinking you're going to focus your energy, and how are you going to get started?
Amazingly enough this is what I've been pondering lately, since coming across TMF I've noticed a lot of needs and have started coming up with various solutions. At present I have three different ideas to develop, all involving some massive learning on my part since all involve eccommerce to a lesser or greater degree and skills I need to develop. I am sure one will become, obviously, the better option, or I'll naturally progress toward one of the three, and this will become my focus.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro Paul, finally got around to reading it. Enjoying your posts on the forum.

Welcome, kick up on the sofa and stay awhile.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Great intro Paul, finally got around to reading it. Enjoying your posts on the forum.

Welcome, kick up on the sofa and stay awhile.

Thank you MJ, appreciate that.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
I know that if a twenty something can do this so can a fifty something, the fast lane doesn't recognise age, I now have my reasons to do this, I've reflected my life and analyzed the forks in the road and where they took me and I now have a new game plan. Time may not be on my side but I know that that isn't the issue, desire and passion are

rep+

What a great attitude to have.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK

SeanP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jan 19, 2018
Portland, OR
@p0stscript

I don't know your situation, but, I bet you've learned a lot in your life, in all sorts of areas. You likely have a lot of value to bring to others.

I just wanted to add, that this is just a process, and anyone can do it, if they want to.
Today was the last time I walked out of my office for the past 5 years. The new beginning begins. I feel that I have the fortitude to stay the course and pursue my dreams. Exciting / scary all mixed in together tonight as I sit and look out at the water of the Columbia.

I love that I found this forum site (thanks MJ). Almost done with Unscripted (done with TMF )...energizing fuel to be sure!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Having now completed the Fastlane book ( thanks MJ @MJ DeMarco it's awoken something within that has been dormant for too long) I feel I should give a better introduction, though to be honest I'm not use to this type of thing and feel as uncomfortable as some one at their first AA meeting - hi my name is Paul and I'm a slowlaner....

Many years ago I bought into the slowlane philosophy, the Richest man in Babylon was me roadmap and I believed and perceived and conceived an idea and acted upon it with full commitment. I use to work down the pit, like my dad, his dad and his dad...but having seen my grandad retire at sixty three and die within two years I set the goal to retire early so I could at least enjoy it for a little longer than two years.

I set aside 10%, due to lack of trust in financial institutions ( they made money whether you did or not) I read as many books as I could on investing and controlled my own portfolio. I managed to miss a lot of the turmoil on the market but it was work and returns only about 3% on average. I had the live within your means mindset and continued along this road for forty years. If I were ever to write a book it would not be a how to but a how not to book, my dream was small and I achieved it, I have a money tree but it's a bonsai, life is adequate (I no have Groundskeeper Willie in all his finery singing "wouldn't it be adequate" inside my head), I bought the things I wanted because I lowered my expectations and hence my desires.

When I read about MJ using a calculator that tabulated his "wealth percentile" I thought I do it, I'm in the bottom 10%.I'm technically poor and have been for many years, I travelled the wrong road using the wrong map, I reached my destination but my destination was Shitsville.

The Fastlane book has been a kick up the backside, my perception has begun to change, I know that if a twenty something can do this so can a fifty something, the fast lane doesn't recognise age, I now have my reasons to do this, I've reflected my life and analyzed the forks in the road and where they took me and I now have a new game plan. Time may not be on my side but I know that that isn't the issue, desire and passion are. I can invest in myself, I have shown myself capable of commitment (forty years commuted to wrong map), I'm now seeing needs all around, beginning to think as a producer and not a consumer, have worked out my new destination, defined the lifestyle, assessed the cost and calculated my money system target and business system target, now to make it real, I now have the beginning of the means.

My story shows the slowlane doesn't work, even if you do reach your destination (preaching to the converted I think) but the Millionaire Fastlane has reawakened my dreams and has given them a chance to live. Thank you.

I'm not much for writing and this is the most I've done in a long time ( actually writing the book I mentioned at the start would be interesting then) but I'm using this forum to hold my self accountable, if you don't keep hearing from me I'm either dead, or as good as if I've gone back to the old way.

Cheers
Paul
Retiring early is your ace in the hole. You have a lot of time in your life to re-create yourself. Just don't kick yourself for NOT doing what wasn't available to you earlier -- remember, the internet was invented during our lifetime. I'm your elder at 64 years old.

Yes, neither one of us is the typical young person on this forum. That's why they need people like us to participate. We have a perspective, seasoned with years of real world experience, that they really should hear.

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
Thanks @WJK for the encouragement

Just don't kick yourself for NOT doing what wasn't available to you earlier
I've lived long enough to notice life has an uncanny knack of presenting what you need, when you need it, and the exact right time you're ready to receive it. This I firmly believe is what happened with the book and this forum; my outlook to life has changed; I've started courting my wife again, since I'll openly admit our marriage was becoming staid, and she is loving the change in me; and whilst I'm not in profit yet from my new ventures I feel far richer in life because of what I'm now doing. So I'm putting it down as a win.

neither one of us is the typical young person on this forum. That's why they need people like us to participate. We have a perspective, seasoned with years of real world experience, that they really should hear.
Thank you for that, hopefully, like you, I'll add value to the forum drawing on my experiences.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Thanks @WJK for the encouragement

I've lived long enough to notice life has an uncanny knack of presenting what you need, when you need it, and the exact right time you're ready to receive it. This I firmly believe is what happened with the book and this forum; my outlook to life has changed; I've started courting my wife again, since I'll openly admit our marriage was becoming staid, and she is loving the change in me; and whilst I've not in profit yet from my new ventures I feel far richer in life because of what I'm now doing. So I'm putting it down as a win.

Thank you for that, hopefully, like you, I'll add value to the forum drawing on my experiences.
Your sure right about what you are doing in your marriage. I love it when my husband courts me. That never grows old.

Good luck on you new ventures, and God's speed.

Jedwab

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Sep 19, 2017
UK
I've lived long enough to notice life has an uncanny knack of presenting what you need, when you need it, and the exact right time you're ready to receive it. This I firmly believe is what happened with the book and this forum; my outlook to life has changed; I've started courting my wife again, since I'll openly admit our marriage was becoming staid, and she is loving the change in me; and whilst I'm not in profit yet from my new ventures I feel far richer in life because of what I'm now doing. So I'm putting it down as a win.

And what a fantastic win that is.
I am completely with you on the " presenting what you need, when you need it" front. Good luck on your journey Paul, and hi from a fellow Brit :)

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
I often see you around as the fellow welcome to the forum guy lol. Glad to finally read your story!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...