• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WEB SCHOOL Best web design for SEO?

Discussion in 'Web Design as a Hustle' started by puckman, Feb 27, 2019.

1. puckman

puckman Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $497
    hey guys, I used to work at Google and have a perspective on this, but I wanted to get your input too.

Shoot down my theory and share your thoughts below.

My theory; managed website platforms are bad for SEO, platforms like Squarespace, Shopify, Wordpress.com hosted, Wix, Weebly, etc.

Solution; build and host your own site, index it correctly, and see better SEO.

Is this true of false? Do managed platforms suck for SEO?

Bekit and TonyStark like this.
  2. YoungBroward

YoungBroward Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $534
    I've heard of plugins that you can use for managed website platforms. One very popular one is Yoast which is a plugin for wordpress sites.

3. puckman

Rep Bank:
    $497
    Yes I've used these, but they are not really applicable to my question.

I will restate; are managed platforms worse for SEO?

YoungBroward likes this.
  4. TonyStark

TonyStark I'm not dead yet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,011
    I’m curious about this too; @Fox what are your thoughts?

I know the websites you build get amazing results, is part of that because you use HTML?

What’s the secret? Copywriting?

5. Twiizlar

Twiizlar Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,659
    The platform you use to build your website has 0 direct affect on SEO. However, many of the platforms like Squarespace and Wix greatly limit what you can change in terms of on-page SEO which in turn affects it's optimizations.

It is greatly encouraged to avoid Wix, Squarespace, Blogger. In my experience Shopify has some limitations but I think it is not that big of a deal. I currently have a client on Shopify and we are doing well. WordPress essentially gives you 0 restrictions so this is the best choice.

6. MattR82

MattR82 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,166
    T
    This is pretty much exactly what I've heard over the last year and a half learning web design. Except for shopify, never heard much about its issues or not with seo.

7. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,887
    Better off focusing on not putting out shit than what flavor of shit. Content is king. Whether you use wordpress, wix, or some other con-man hosting platform, results will be trivially different. If you put out something that people want, word will spread.

8. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,517
    On-page SEO factors are mostly content issues.

You can fiddle with a few things like some of the meta and Open Graph tags and Schema.org markup, which may be easier with a self-hosted WP or static HTML site. (This is all that Yoast and other SEO plugins do on WordPress anyway.)

For the most part the platform you're using won't matter for this.

9. Yoda

Yoda Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $955
    The OP's question is actually a bad question.

Different problems require different solutions.

A mom'n'pop corner shop can get by with whatever they want, really. Nothing is so restrictive you can't get by or even succeed in local.

Going to the other side of the earth and talking about nationwide or worldwide sites... yeah it's just a different animal. Probably don't want Wix.

For the vast majority, a Wordpress site with a legitimate framework like Bootstrap, Genesis, etc. with a theme on top will be more than sufficient, without a doubt.

Sheens likes this.
  10. Fox

Fox Moderator Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $83,861
    A website built manually by someone who knows what they are doing is always going to outrank a system that caters towards people of all levels.

It's like using an advanced video editing software versus some click + drag + add music software. One is going to be easier to set up but will lack the ability to go deeper and get the best results.

Wix and the like are made to be easy. They just want people to have a site online asap and locked in so they keep paying the subscription.

More advanced systems are going to give that extra level where you got more control and can get better results. That is their business model - cater to the pros.

You can get good results with either but a service like Wix is always going to be inferior because it needs to remain easy for everyone to use.

ApparentHorizon, Yoda, Sheens and 3 others like this.
  11. Divine_Joker

Divine_Joker New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Hi Bro

Can You share your thoughts on the WordPress with the plugins like the Yoast SEO or All in one SEO ?

Waiting for your answer.

12. MythOfSisyphus

MythOfSisyphus Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,542
    My current Shopify store ranked for all the main keywords in my niche quite easily. If you do the basics right and build a good website I don't think it matters too much which platform you use (I've built plenty of WordPress sites too).

Google is getting better at detecting things like how engaging a website is to an end user so things like backlinks are becoming less important while user experience is becoming more so.

MattR82, Pratik_ITpro and 404profound like this.
  13. Pratik_ITpro

Pratik_ITpro New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    True, these are Website Builders and have some limitations, hence developing own site and indexing it well; is a better practice

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

14. puckman

Rep Bank:
    $497
    thanks guys for confirming

Isaac Oh likes this.
  15. Isaac Oh

Isaac Oh Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $956
    Wordpress seems to have all the tools for SEO needs. I'm sure you could do even more but I'm also assuming it would be negligible.

16. DustinH

DustinH Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,732
    This was my understanding and why I chose to build my website with Genesis framework and a Genesis Child Theme. From my research, page loading speed, mobile friendliness, simple optimized code, and no code "bloat" were things that Google's indexing looks for to have a more optimized website. I'm no expert on this stuff, but that was a case for Wordpress with the Genesis framework to be a good option for me.

MattR82 and puckman like this.
  17. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,682
    Not sure about SEO but making a website using html + css + Java =More fun. Takes more time but it's more fun.

It's like woodworking where I built a birdhouse out of my own hands. This feeling of pride and satisfaction and accomplishment.

People also call it "flow" where you're just so into something that's all you're focused on. You ignore all the distractions.

It's alot like what Peter describes in this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBtf8Yglw2w

puckman and InspireHD like this.
  18. puckman

Rep Bank:
    $497
    Hey all, have an update. Working at my 9-5 and wanting to leave shortly after starting, I wanted to just launch. So I decided to launch with Wordpress.com. It was super easy, and for anyone just wanting to get off the ground, I would recommend this approach.

www.zealist.io

I built the site myself and hired a designer on Fiverr to help with a few small things, and that has cost me less than $100. I just wanted to get the site launched, so I opted for www.wordpress.com, rather than build and host on my own.

So my business is launched, and I left my 9-5 full-time job. Progress. My desire to launch far outweighed building for SEO, esp. for this type of site.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and input.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    André G. likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.