The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Best MJ DeMarco Quotes?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
I just finished Unscripted tonight.

Loved it.

I particularly loved the part on page 369 -

"Composite the five unions: Beliefs, meaning-and-purpose, a Fastlane productocracy, execution, and discipline. Mix together and the concoction left behind is an empowered "F*ck you" immune to the SCRIPT. No settling. No punching time clocks. no sardine seats on Southwest Airlines."

That is a classic and is going on the White Board.

Anybody else have some favorites MJ-isms?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Sep 30, 2018
Spring, TX
[I had edited this for my own sake where the ellipses are, and it came from a thread on this forum]

I write books that move unseen probabilities with the goal of shifting probabilities to induce better outcomes. Yes luck always plays a role whenever probabilities exist. But as an entrepreneur that buys into the Unscripted philosophy, our objective is different: We aim to move probability. 1 in 7 is better than 1 in 500 or 1 in 1,000,000 or 0 in {anything}…

1. Hard work gives you 2 chances to call a coin flip.
  2. Average work gets you 1.
  3. Laziness gets you 0.

@MJ DeMarco 1/16/2019

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
@Zcott , I love the saying on your profile pic, "Don't quit your Day Dream".

Thank you, Sir. It's a great saying.

I've a bit of sentimental attachment to it. Years ago, I was working in an awful cold calling job whilst stricken with wanderlust, obsessed with backpacking Australia, a dream of mine since a small child. I came across a beautiful wallpaper with a little boat and a sunset with 'don't quit your day dream' written over it, which I used as the wallpaper for my work computer to motivate me that good things were coming. But it also had a dual affect in that it tapped into my entrepreneurial beliefs. :)

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
A good one for handling your finances pops up in my mind every now and then:

"if you think whether you can afford it, you probably can't"
- Freely remembered from TMF

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
I have two that pop into memory right now:

• "As entry barriers to any business or start-up process weaken or become 'easified', so does the strength or the potential of the opportunity"
  • "The Commandment of Need states that if you own a controlled and entry-barred enterprise that provides relative value, satisfying needs or wants, you will win growth, profits, and possibly, passive income for life"
    • Then, the knockout punch: "Entrepreneurship 101, right? Not exactly--more like advanced business strategy"
P.S. Thanks MJ for all the knowledge and wisdom you have shared. Your work gives us a fighting chance to get out!

Last edited:

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
One nugget that I really liked was in Chapter 27 (of course the whole chapter is really good.),

"Real change comes from identity and self-not from interim motivations jump-started by books or YouTube binging. Basically, you have to BE what you want to become FIRST so the actions can follow. Don't TALK about it; BE about it. BE. ACT on being. Then HAVE."

This was pure gold and eye opening for me. I knew about affirmations, but I greatly underestimated the power of personal identity.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For me, one of the best quotes (and one that stays in my mind) is this:

If you accept conventional wisdom from conventional people living conventional lives, can you expect to be anything but conventional?
- MJ DeMarco

My favorite as well.

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
For me, one of the best quotes (and one that stays in my mind) is this:

If you accept conventional wisdom from conventional people living conventional lives, can you expect to be anything but conventional?
- MJ DeMarco

Loooooove this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
Here are some of my favs from UNSCRIPTED :

"Everyone wants the perfect wife but few want to work towards becoming the perfect husband."

"THE EASIER THE OPPORTUNITY, THE WORSE IT IS."

"{Fake Entrepreneurs} love entrepreneurship benefits, but they don't love solving problems. Instead, they're looking for a plug-and-play, paint by numbers solutions, ironically created by real entrepreneurs."

"There is no F*cking list that tells you exactly what steps to take.
There is no F*cking list and once you discover there isn't one, be happy about it."

"Any complaining, whining and dissent is a potential opportunity."

"Whenever you say, 'I can't find ideas', what you're really saying is the world is perfect and it needs nothing."

(I literally have a huge list of my fav MJ quotes on my computer that I look at when I need a kick up the butt!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
GREATNESS IS A LOT OF SMALL THINGS DONE DAILY.

I'm not the original author on this, I've heard/known this for years, so I'm not sure if there is an original speaker on it.

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
"If you want to make millions, impact millions"

Both the books are pretty much full of quotable gold nuggets and paragraphs tbh though.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Think how ridiculous this is. You work Monday through Friday, or you spend five life rations just so you can earn two. Five for two. Would you accept this negative rate of return in the financial world? Hey, invest five life rations and I’ll give you two back as payment? Oh and BTW, you won’t get back your original investment. Remember, time spent can never be reclaimed or refilled, so it’s not an interest payment; it’s an immediate loss of principal and a dismally negative rate of return.”

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
"If you want to make millions, impact millions"

Both the books are pretty much full of quotable gold nuggets and paragraphs tbh though.

This one is probably the best one, was gonna post it.

MrPawter308

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Feb 9, 2019
Singapore
"Every person who enters your social circle is a potential road. The road could be a road to ruin, or a road to winning"
- MJ DeMarco

"compound interest to grow wealth, akin to rearraging deck chair on the Titanic"
- MJ DeMarco

"I could be dead and my books would live on"
- MJ DeMarco

"The magnitude of the problem solved is the magnitude of the money you can make"
- MJ DeMarco

"Unscripted empires are built on solid ground, not thin ice"
-MJ DeMarco

"Whatever you want to believe, there's a guru cult out there helping you believe it"
-MJ DeMarco

"New successes blaze new roads, they don't trail old ones"
-MJ DeMarco

"As I look around me in total comfort and convenience, I am overwhelmed with gratitude and humility, not just to God, the universe, or whoever else is running the show, but to rich people"
-MJ DeMarco

not really quotes, but ideas that I really enjoyed! :rofl:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
“Before impacting the masses, we must first impact one - and do so profitably.”

Page 292 of Unscripted

I like this line because of my favourite business line, by Mother Theresa as quoted in my signature.

I think business is as simple as “Add value. Get paid.”

Start by helping one. Get paid. Scale.

JHZ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2017
México
“Probable reality plays no role in feel good fantasies”

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Start by helping one. Get paid. Scale.
This is good, I'd add one consideration to it, which is more strategic than anything else. It's true that to "get paid" you must provide something that is valuable to others (hence that they're willing to pay for). Providing value and scaling though don't necessarily go together.

Some businesses are just not scaleable. They are dead-end roads. Try as you may, you will hit a plateau, and it will be nigh impossible to move beyond it through the old methods (providing value and scaling). If that's the case, then you need a different business opportunity.

So choosing your business, in the beginning, is important. You must do so aware of the consequences, and aware of whether or not you'll need to pivot at some point.

The potential to scale is related to market size as an upper bound and to the possibility of replicating and replacing yourself as a lower bound.

For most people here, market size is never going to be the limiting factor that prevents them from scaling. We just never reach that far.

For most, the limiting factor will be the possibility (or lack of it) of systematizing the business. If your business relies on your genius to run, then provide value as you may, but unless you learn to translate that genius into a replicable formula, you will never achieve scale, and you'll never be rich.

This is the roadblock that most entrepreneurs hit in my opinion. It's why they can't reach the next level.

A good book on this topic is Built to Sell!

Real change comes from identity and self-not from interim motivations jump-started by books or YouTube binging. Basically, you have to BE what you want to become FIRST so the actions can follow. Don't TALK about it; BE about it. BE. ACT on being. Then HAVE.
This!

Fruitcake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Mar 26, 2018
Belgium, Europe
Both 'The Millionaire Fastlane ' and 'UNSCRIPTED ' are great quotable books. The great thing is they're not just about business but also about personal development. Life is about the process, not the events.

Here are some of my favorite quotes I like to re-read to keep me going. You might find them useful too.

"Whatever you decide today impacts tomorrow, weeks, months, years, decades, and yes, generations."

"You either choose to act or choose to complain."

"Everyone wants change, but no one wants to change themselves."

"Time is your primordial fuel and it should not be traded for money."

"Everyone always shows up at the end of a boom."

There's plenty more where that came from. I found these at The Cite Site.

Have a great day, guys and gals, and don't give up on the process!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.