The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Back for Round#2

DukeArcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2021
Hey Everyone,

My name's Eric, and I'm here after reality kicked me in the a$$.

You'll notice my tag is DukeArcher, the alias I used to write my first four books for Kindle. MJ changed my life with the Millionaire Fastlane , but just like a stubborn kid, I heard the advice but I never really listened. Instead of 'Get Rich Quick' I looked for 'Get Rich Easy'. That started with the filing of an LLC, a shopify store I planned on using to drop-ship animal crap right off of Alibab...right, who doesn't love spending money on their pets? Next came the creation of all the social media accounts, all kinds of marketing materials made on canva, 10x volumes of posting on social media. After using an extension on Shopify to click which products would make me millions, I paid a better entrepreneur than me to create a logo, another to write product descriptions...it was all crap. After pumping hundreds into FB ads, and only a handful of site visits, leading to zero products placed in the cart...I decided it wasn't going to work and shuttered the site.

But, I'm not one to give up, so I decided that I'd make thousands off of eBook publishing, after-all I like to write decently enough, and have the commitment to see it through the writers blocks. 3 weeks later, I had my first book written, with a Fiverr created cover that I'd later see near copies of all over the niche. I'm embarrassed looking back at it, but I wrote on the topic of passive income generation through writing...I thought I could add value for my readers (FINALLY, I was looking to do something right) by writing the book and commentating along with "my journey" at the end of each chapter, hopefully inspiring other new authors that if I could put that book in their hands, they too could write their first book. The problem was, I didn't truly believe in the value I was providing, so I set the book aside for 6 months, only deciding to finally publish it the day before my 30th birthday, shortly after finishing my first read of Unscripted . The book has done okay, especially on the free marketplace (grin). But it didn't take long to realize the half-baked value proposition wasn't leading to any profit. I could spend nothing on advertising and make $20-30/month, or advertise and lose money.

The pandemic launched my ambitious streak again, and I started work toward my doctorate (100% a personal goal that I'm only paying for in cash and time). But the Unscripted lifestyle has had too great of a pull, so I'm coming back to do things the right way.

I will have an uphill battle, I know I'll be tempted to get lost in the learning, without taking action. Thankfully, it's a battle I'm excited to jump into. Keeping the DukeArcher tag will both encourage me to reflect back on my past failures, but also inspire me to do more. I have a great 9-5 working for a top consulting firm, bringing in 6-figures and rarely working over 40 hours a week. But I'm the heir apparent to another $20,000-30,000 raise that will take me over the tipping point of not having the freedom to pursue the Unscripted lifestyle. My purpose here is to create value and influence lives. I know I need to learn how to recognize opportunity, and improve as a business operator.

Starting Point:
Game development: Having already dabbled in JavaScript and HTML, I would like to learn application development, so as a learning project (short-term Fastlane goal), I'll be creating a simple tower defense game that I'll sell on the app marketplaces and Steam. Simple concept, the animals have taken over the zoo, and are fighting back to keep the zoo keepers from taking back over. Every keeper beat drops food, food that the animals use for ammo. The novelty of the game will be cute animals, shooting their poop at the keepers. Value provided through entertainment. The potential to reach people is near limitless given the number of users that access games through those marketplaces. I lose some control by listing the game through their marketplaces, butI view this as acceptable risk given this is largely a learning exercise, as I overcome the barrier to entry through learning to code and produce a finished game product.

Mid-Term:
As a recent renter, I found the occupancy-based pricing not only to be incredibly frustrating, but also very hard to navigate. I would show up at a complex to meet with the leasing agent, and the $1500/mo unit was renting for $2000. The agents claimed as occupancy dropped, so did the pricing. Well I had no way to test that theory, nor was I able to monitor pricing over the period I was apartment hunting. I will create a SaaS platform for rental companies to list their openings along with real-time pricing based on their occupancy-based prices. I'll offer the service of calculating the occupancy-based prices, offering added value through market-driven information. Additionally, as users (renters) sign up, we'll perform the renter check and store the outcome to remove the need for potential rents to file an application for each complex they visit (value added to the user). From the user perspective, besides a more seamless application process, we'll provide a more transparent marketplace for renters to shop for their next home.

I'm currently working through the ideation stages of this project.

Finally, I wanted to say thank you to this community, and to MJ for the introduction. I look forward to hearing your stories.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Everyone,

My name's Eric, and I'm here after reality kicked me in the a$$.

You'll notice my tag is DukeArcher, the alias I used to write my first four books for Kindle. MJ changed my life with the Millionaire Fastlane , but just like a stubborn kid, I heard the advice but I never really listened. Instead of 'Get Rich Quick' I looked for 'Get Rich Easy'. That started with the filing of an LLC, a shopify store I planned on using to drop-ship animal crap right off of Alibab...right, who doesn't love spending money on their pets? Next came the creation of all the social media accounts, all kinds of marketing materials made on canva, 10x volumes of posting on social media. After using an extension on Shopify to click which products would make me millions, I paid a better entrepreneur than me to create a logo, another to write product descriptions...it was all crap. After pumping hundreds into FB ads, and only a handful of site visits, leading to zero products placed in the cart...I decided it wasn't going to work and shuttered the site.

But, I'm not one to give up, so I decided that I'd make thousands off of eBook publishing, after-all I like to write decently enough, and have the commitment to see it through the writers blocks. 3 weeks later, I had my first book written, with a Fiverr created cover that I'd later see near copies of all over the niche. I'm embarrassed looking back at it, but I wrote on the topic of passive income generation through writing...I thought I could add value for my readers (FINALLY, I was looking to do something right) by writing the book and commentating along with "my journey" at the end of each chapter, hopefully inspiring other new authors that if I could put that book in their hands, they too could write their first book. The problem was, I didn't truly believe in the value I was providing, so I set the book aside for 6 months, only deciding to finally publish it the day before my 30th birthday, shortly after finishing my first read of Unscripted . The book has done okay, especially on the free marketplace (grin). But it didn't take long to realize the half-baked value proposition wasn't leading to any profit. I could spend nothing on advertising and make $20-30/month, or advertise and lose money.

The pandemic launched my ambitious streak again, and I started work toward my doctorate (100% a personal goal that I'm only paying for in cash and time). But the Unscripted lifestyle has had too great of a pull, so I'm coming back to do things the right way.

I will have an uphill battle, I know I'll be tempted to get lost in the learning, without taking action. Thankfully, it's a battle I'm excited to jump into. Keeping the DukeArcher tag will both encourage me to reflect back on my past failures, but also inspire me to do more. I have a great 9-5 working for a top consulting firm, bringing in 6-figures and rarely working over 40 hours a week. But I'm the heir apparent to another $20,000-30,000 raise that will take me over the tipping point of not having the freedom to pursue the Unscripted lifestyle. My purpose here is to create value and influence lives. I know I need to learn how to recognize opportunity, and improve as a business operator.

Starting Point:
Game development: Having already dabbled in JavaScript and HTML, I would like to learn application development, so as a learning project (short-term Fastlane goal), I'll be creating a simple tower defense game that I'll sell on the app marketplaces and Steam. Simple concept, the animals have taken over the zoo, and are fighting back to keep the zoo keepers from taking back over. Every keeper beat drops food, food that the animals use for ammo. The novelty of the game will be cute animals, shooting their poop at the keepers. Value provided through entertainment. The potential to reach people is near limitless given the number of users that access games through those marketplaces. I lose some control by listing the game through their marketplaces, butI view this as acceptable risk given this is largely a learning exercise, as I overcome the barrier to entry through learning to code and produce a finished game product.

Mid-Term:
As a recent renter, I found the occupancy-based pricing not only to be incredibly frustrating, but also very hard to navigate. I would show up at a complex to meet with the leasing agent, and the $1500/mo unit was renting for $2000. The agents claimed as occupancy dropped, so did the pricing. Well I had no way to test that theory, nor was I able to monitor pricing over the period I was apartment hunting. I will create a SaaS platform for rental companies to list their openings along with real-time pricing based on their occupancy-based prices. I'll offer the service of calculating the occupancy-based prices, offering added value through market-driven information. Additionally, as users (renters) sign up, we'll perform the renter check and store the outcome to remove the need for potential rents to file an application for each complex they visit (value added to the user). From the user perspective, besides a more seamless application process, we'll provide a more transparent marketplace for renters to shop for their next home.

I'm currently working through the ideation stages of this project.

Finally, I wanted to say thank you to this community, and to MJ for the introduction. I look forward to hearing your stories.
Nice write up.

What’s the 9-5?

DukeArcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2021
Nice write up.

What’s the 9-5?
IT Consulting. Mostly functional/business analyst work. It's an outstanding job, I've gotten to work with some truly brilliant people, and the role itself offers something new daily. I'm blessed that I have a job that continues to challenge me, that checks all the boxes AND pays a great salary.

I've always set value-voucher based goals, but it's only been in the last couple years that I've realized that it isn't just about the take-home dollars, it's more the fulfillment of a desire to push myself further. The job gives me that. Maybe so much so that now I have the desire to make something of my own, because if I've taken anything away it's that I can accomplish any goal with enough effort.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
IT Consulting. Mostly functional/business analyst work. It's an outstanding job, I've gotten to work with some truly brilliant people, and the role itself offers something new daily. I'm blessed that I have a job that continues to challenge me, that checks all the boxes AND pays a great salary.

I've always set value-voucher based goals, but it's only been in the last couple years that I've realized that it isn't just about the take-home dollars, it's more the fulfillment of a desire to push myself further. The job gives me that. Maybe so much so that now I have the desire to make something of my own, because if I've taken anything away it's that I can accomplish any goal with enough effort.
Can you “grow what you know” and build a business around the skills, knowledge, experience, and network you already have?

DukeArcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2021
Can you “grow what you know” and build a business around the skills, knowledge, experience, and network you already have?
Andy, that's a great question. So within the realm of functional/business analyst work, I've essentially filled the role of software engineer minus the coding. So I have quite a bit of experience in requirements gathering and software design. Soft skills have been my boost up the ladder, and I come from a background in sales.

That said, I've been scoped onto ERP projects my entire career, and have built my professional network largely within my client base and capability group. Although I do feel as though I am pretty well in touch with what my typical client needs in their day to day, I have never connected that with any problems I felt like I was prepared to solve outside of the ERP realm.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy, that's a great question. So within the realm of functional/business analyst work, I've essentially filled the role of software engineer minus the coding. So I have quite a bit of experience in requirements gathering and software design. Soft skills have been my boost up the ladder, and I come from a background in sales.

That said, I've been scoped onto ERP projects my entire career, and have built my professional network largely within my client base and capability group. Although I do feel as though I am pretty well in touch with what my typical client needs in their day to day, I have never connected that with any problems I felt like I was prepared to solve outside of the ERP realm.
It seems to me that you've got yourself valuable skills that are ALREADY earning you money.

Why not figure out how to use those skills to earn money independent of your employer.

Then figure out how to scale it?

Maybe check these out:

DukeArcher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Jan 18, 2021
Biggest take aways from Day 1:

1) Stop overcomplicating things
2) End the 'me' centric thinking
3) Focus on what it is the market wants
4) Add value everywhere

Steps taken today:
1) ~400 value vouchers purchased with my time
2) Read Ask - Ryan Levesque. Learned an intro to survey funnel analysis for learning what my market needs
3) Asked 5 entrepreneur/small business friends on FB what their biggest problem was, and offered to solve it for free
4) Signed up for quora to answer questions to help self-identify my specialized skills (outside of my current job - IT consulting with ERPs is huge in scope, not sure yet how offer that other than going independent and searching for contracts...could make more money, but would still be doing the same job, with little hope to develop specialized Units to fit the "time" element of CENTS)
5) Engaged artist for game development work, proven results, love the concept for the small game concept in the intro.

Steps for tonight:
1) Five articles on motivation theory (expectancy and equity)
2) Read "How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling" by Frank Bettger
3) Check responses from FB messages
4) Answer 10 questions on Quora

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...