The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

B & P, 09 - Format?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
me likes it.
I tried googling for events in the area, only found arts, music and some shows...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
The "Apartment Finance Today" national conference is on March 30 - April 1st. It is expensive at around $700 but exceptionally valuable to me. I plan to attend.

Apartment Finance Today Conference

I realize that there is a limited audience for this but am attempting to put something forward.

Steve:

This is sort of late for our gathering, but I wonder if there is any way to piggyback off this by trying to pull one or two of the speakers, who might be from near Phoenix, to talk to us?

They might consider it a sales promo. I know I get Apartment Finance Today delivered at home. The $700 is a bit out of my price range for my present size, but it might be worth dropping them an email.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Great idea Bob. Perhaps I can find someone to present for an hour or two.

CactusWren

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jan 5, 2008
Arizona
I'm already excited about this coming up!

Just want to say that I loved:
-price

Love the idea of:
- more networking time
- mastermind groups
- moving around to get the blood pumping (and the butt defrosted!)

Hate to say it but we should stick to presentations that are short and sweet. I've attended networking meetings were an egg timer is used. I certainly do not believe that presenters like SteveO or MJ should have the same amount of time that I do. We could go by the forum's ratings or something to allot time. It sounds mean, but that's what I think...

Looking forward to B&P '09!!

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Hate to say it but we should stick to presentations that are short and sweet. I've attended networking meetings were an egg timer is used. I certainly do not believe that presenters like SteveO or MJ should have the same amount of time that I do. We could go by the forum's ratings or something to allot time. It sounds mean, but that's what I think...

Bingo.

I hate to say it, but I really felt like I was rambling on last year.

In prior years, I felt way more organized.

A timer of some sort would have been a great clue to me that it was time to zip it.

Rep + for that idea.

Last edited:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I was watching again some of the videos from this year's meetup... I did not notice too much rambling... granted, we did not record all the presentations, but still.... probably those antibiotics I was taking made me think that bflbob was a genius, or something.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
And I'd be happy to just sit back very quietly in the back of the room and listen!!! That just wasn't an option last year.

The idea is that people give something to the group. Maybe we should request that everybody propose a topic to present, and then some decide which ones get to be presented.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I wanted to play the cashflow game more, especially with Russ moderating.. we got very little in before dinner time!

this might be a dumb idea, but we can have everyone submit their topics, and then anonymously vote for the top 10 that people want to hear. This would allow time and the demand would be there. Of course sometimes you don't know what you like until you hear it.. Tough issue. We gonna need a 3 day weekend for this.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Correct.
I remember your reluctance to present at that time, and yours was one of the hidden gems of the weekend. Tough problem, but it is a good one to have.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
If SteveO is still willing, he's the best person to choose a place to stay.

Last year, I did a TON of research and made what I thought were great choices. Steve's local knowledge/familiarity w/the area prompted him to step in at that point and get a better place.

So I'm not gonna repeat my mistakes-- Steve, MJ, Bio-- are you willing to choose a place for us?

Let me know.

I'm still working on exact dates-- At this point I'm planning on 3 FULL days-- Fri, Sat, Sun.

All attendees should plan to arrive Thurs evening at the LATEST, and fly out late Sunday (after 4 pm) or sometime Monday.

I'll post 3 possible weekends soon-- still checking on airfare costs.

-Russ H.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
I'm still working on exact dates-- At this point I'm planning on 3 FULL days-- Fri, Sat, Sun.

All attendees should plan to arrive Thurs evening at the LATEST, and fly out late Sunday (after 4 pm) or sometime Monday.

I'm going to do my best to push it close to a week.

Besides generally great weather, you get a lot more time to meet up with the locals.

Come early...stay late!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm going to do my best to push it close to a week.

Besides generally great weather, you get a lot more time to meet up with the locals.

Come early...stay late!
Great advice. The sooner we decide the dates, the easier will be to setup everything... I'd love to stay for the week, especially now that RealOG has offered me the chance to stay at his place... that makes the difference for me. How can I say no to that offer???

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Russ H said:
Steve, MJ, Bio-- are you willing to choose a place for us?

Please let us know. :tiphat:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Great advice. The sooner we decide the dates, the easier will be to setup everything... I'd love to stay for the week, especially now that RealOG has offered me the chance to stay at his place... that makes the difference for me. How can I say no to that offer???

Paaaaaarrrrrrrrttttteeeeeeee! at RealOG:hammertime::hammertime::hammertime:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Please let us know. :tiphat:

Absolutely.

Last year we setup at the Days Inn at the Fashion Square mall. The conference room and nightly stay were affordable. Budget seemed to be an desired item last year and may be this year as well. If we choose to remain in downtown Scottsdale, there are a lot of choices. The Days Inn is an option again. There are choices that include exceptionally nice and everything in between. All within walking distance of each other.

Input on the meeting room from last year would be great. It was affordable and roomy enough but not ideal. Is it acceptable or would we like something more, ahem, costly?

RealOG lives Real close to downtown as well. He can help Bio and I scope some places out.

Careful about partying at his place though. He is into ultimate fighting and likes a challange. :fryingpan:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am fine with the same location... now that we know the room better we can plan for how to set it up in advance. I thought they were demoing that place and building something newer... so it is great to know the same affordable place is available....

unless you have some other place in mind???

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Bobbo said:
All I remember is REALLY loud air conditioning!

Wow, were you that hung over?

(I know you weren't-- I'm just kiddin') :cool:

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Yes, the AC was loud in Sunday afternoon.

Any other locations that the locals can think of?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Do we have a head count yet? ...You know, what we may consider is renting out a "ballroom" area at a local restaurant (nothing fancy, something along the lines of Olive Garden.) I would think it would be close to the same cost as a hotel meeting room, and there would be food involved. Just a thought. :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
That's a thought.

If we'd had more comfortable chairs, I thought our meeting room was great-- but the chairs kinda killed my back after 30 min or so.

Having the patio area outside was great, too.

FYI, we only had ~$1250 leftover last year. If we upgrade to better digs, we either need to up the reg fee, or realize that we won't have much left over.

Either way is cool w/me.

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Yep, we went purely based on budget last year. I would be happy to look at better options but would like inputs on the costs. I don't remember the cost but the meeting room was less than half of most others. The Days Inn has a couple of more expensive options as well. But, there are a lot of meeting rooms in this location. We could easily get a nice one. One other advantage of the Days Inn was that we were allowed to bring our own food with no additional cost. They did not require us to use their catering service.

I think it will be tough to find a restaurant ball room large enough for our networking group to roam around during breaks. It would be important to us to have relaxing places to sit around outside of the presentations.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Pity we can't just take over a Starbucks for a few days . . . ;)

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
When I was doing online research for locations last year I found a few places that are just that, conference rooms for rent. Maybe one of the locals know about a place or two like that?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Make it longer... I want to come for at least 5 days, hopefully longer. (get on the horn with the days, so I can see if I can come or not. lol)

Oh wait, are you just accounting for presentation days?

I'd like to hang out and just enjoy the company as well... dinner, get a few drinks would great!

I'm an outdoors guy too, so if anyone is down for any activities, I'm interested.

I know Jonlee mentioned playing some golf, but I've got to be honest, I haven't played golf since I was 19. LOL Not even sure if can tee off these days.

You guys aren't teaching pro's or anything right? ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.