The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

B & P, 09 - Format?

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I'm interested in some feedback about past gatherings.

What did you like?
What could have made it better?
Anything you would like to see - that we haven't done?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

I would love an few hours spent on synergistic - brainstorming - mastermind type activity. I've attended other events with some interactive activities that were really helpful and fun.

The synergy of ideas is a great benefit to attending the get together, and it does happen on an "informal" level, but it would be fun to spend a few hours dedicated to that.

Some things I've seen:

Divide into small groups (these groups could later become a mastermind group for you). Each member of the group is hopefully from a different "area" real estate, internet, etc. Then you each put some of your "assets" into a hat. Draw them out, and start brainstorming about how you could create something with those "assets."

One person presents a current challenge to the group. The group has 5 minutes to shout out any kind of solution they can think of.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Depends on the size of turnout. We barely had time to finish all the presentations this year, as it was. And I honestly don't have anything new to impart, I'm afraid! (I'd better get busy, eh?)

BUT, I definitely got SOMETHING from every single presentation. Very inspiring. Very informational.

I agree with the brain-storming/mastermind idea. We seemed to break into spontaneous brain-storming this year. But it would probably be a little more effective if we were indeed broken down into groups of specific interest.

I know that personally, I would like to see/hear/learn more about ebiz and everything involved with it. The business structure /entity topic is one that interests me a lot. Both of these were covered this year, but just left me hungry for more.

I also like the idea of a guest speaker and/or adjacent seminar.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Plus, I am thinking that we could use it (that session) as more of a springboard to help people start mastermind groups. Last year, we had the idea - but none of the attendees had ever participated in a group. This year, some of us have had experience in that area, so we can share how it has helped us, etc.... and people can maybe get a group going for themselves.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I liked the presentations. It was great to hear from that many people and such diversity of topics.

I liked the chance of having the videos and making them available to those that couldn't assist.

I think we can improve on the videos quality, but all in all it was great having them.

I liked the prices we got for the hotel and the conf. room.

What I'd like to see? More attendants. I agree with Bob, I just can't understand how we only had 30 people last time, given the amount of information and networking that can be done, and the low price that it had.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
If in Vegas, how about an hour symposium on a live craps table where we compare Craps to investing... I've heard of several business conferences that do this, but we could put our own spin on it ;)

- Hakrjak

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I'm interested in some feedback about past gatherings.

What did you like?
What could have made it better?

The only thing that I would have enjoyed more at the last meet up would have been to have more down time. There were so many ideas and concepts being circulated and there just wasn't much time for reflection and/or discussion for implementation. ...Not to mention that I didn't get a chance to knock down one margarita or sit by the pool. ;)

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I loved the presentations. Keep and schedule some more of those... maybe different individuals and topics this time.

It might be kind of cool to have some of the presenters from last time share how they might have implemented some of the things they learned from last year's presentations (not their own) into their own projects, especially if it has helped to catapult them forward.

I loved being able to go out and simply socialize with other attendees. Schedule that in. Mealtime was good (dinners).

I also like the idea of splitting up into smaller groups for the mastermind type sessions. Might it also be a good plan to have presenters sign up and have 2-3 presentations happening simultaneously? Attendees could choose which presentation to attend? Just some ideas off the top of my head.

The only thing I would change would be to make it longer (add at least 24 more hours). It didn't seem to last long enough... just as we got to know everyone, it was time to leave.

I cannot wait to see everyone again, and meet even more fastlaners!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
OK, after Dana and Kerry and Andres have reminisced about last year, it's given me more food for thot. I know it's kinda selfish (because those who missed last year's even won't have the same basis) but I too would love to hear how folks have employed what they learned last year. And to follow on Yves' and Wild's social ideas. . . Last year, I wanted to talk to as many people as possible at dinner and Dos Gringos!!! But there was no way to really move around once you were seated (at dinner anyway). Would love if there were a way to do a Chinese fire drill type of dinner. . . or some way to ensure that everyone was forced to sit with someone different at every meal. I know it may be elementary. But I would really like to "force" this fruit basket turnover type of social time. . .

Just brainstorming with myself (scary, I know). May come back to edit.

I too came away feeling as though even tho I'd gotten more from the weekend than any other weekend even (and TRUST ME when I say I've been to my share of weekend conventions!) I felt like I could've gotten so much more. Could be that I was new to the forum, and therefore a little shy about meeting people? But mixers. I'm thinking mixers.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Jill said:
Would love if there were a way to do a Chinese fire drill type of dinner. . . or some way to ensure that everyone was forced to sit with someone different at every meal. I know it may be elementary. But I would really like to "force" this fruit basket turnover type of social time. . .

Awesome idea.

The fastlane equivalent of speed dating.

Speed networking?

-Russ H.

PS I too would like more time to chat and digest things. I think a revision of the presentation format might really help-- all presentations were great, but some had to be cut very short b/c others went on so long. As the organizer/scheduler, I didn't want to be the bad guy, but maybe there is a better way to structure things?

Perhaps applying the "speed" concept to presentation? I dunno. Just thinking out loud (or, actually, typing . . .) ;)

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I also love the idea of speed networking at meals! Genius Jill, pure genius! :eusa_clap:

And Kerry, great idea about discussing how we have acted on, or been influenced by, ideas from the last B&P. :eusa_clap:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The idea of making people rotate at meals is a good idea but it will limit the flexibility a bit. Sometimes people have a list that they want to visit with. This might reduce that ability. Also interest may be generated following a particular topic.

My opinion is that more casual type of meet-ups could be planned before, during and after the main event. We could establish a couple of times in advance to meet for informal dinners and happy hours. We could also plan more free time during the weekend to allow for casual time, walks to Starbucks, etc.

There is also a tendancy to leave quickly after the Sunday presentations are done. That seems like the absolute best time to sit around and talk.

2 days is almost too little time for what is trying to be accomplished. The obvious challenge is that many people do not have the flexibility to take more.

PS I too would like more time to chat and digest things. I think a revision of the presentation format might really help-- all presentations were great, but some had to be cut very short b/c others went on so long. As the organizer/scheduler, I didn't want to be the bad guy, but maybe there is a better way to structure things?

I was the biggest offender here and cut deeply into your presentation Russ. It was very selfish of me and I am sorry. It wont happen again.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I was the biggest offender here and cut deeply into your presentation Russ. It was very selfish of me and I am sorry. It wont happen again.

Ditto... Sorry! :blush:

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Boy, do I ever want to come again this year.

I'm just not sure about having the time to do it.

I burned a lot of vacation this year (ends on 3/31/09) due to working on Brenton's house.

Oh, and for those of you who hadn't heard, I'm gonna' be a Grandpa!

(That may be the other issue -- baby is due in March).

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Boy, do I ever want to come again this year.

I'm just not sure about having the time to do it.

I burned a lot of vacation this year (ends on 3/31/09) due to working on Brenton's house.

Oh, and for those of you who hadn't heard, I'm gonna' be a Grandpa!

(That may be the other issue -- baby is due in March).

Congrats on the grandchild.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
ATW & SteveO-

Wow, I didn't mean it that way. I didn't mean me! (you guys were getting enough of me talking all the time trying to keep things moving/organized).

I was talking about the fact that MJ only had 10 minutes to talk -- and I really wanted to hear more from him! Also, we had at least one person who asked me to cancel their presentations in the interest of time. And a few others cut their presentations short for the same reason. That just didn't seem fair.

Hard to make it fair, y'know?

One person may need to take a bit of time to explain what they're doing (like SteveO, or ATW, or Edge, or Snowbank-- all great presentations that would have really suffered if they were shorter). I would have liked to hear more from RETapei as well-- very creative stuff he did to shield his companies. There were a number of presentations that could have gone on much longer-- the interest was there.

How in the heck do we do this in 2 or even 3 days?! :shrugs:

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
SteveO said:
more casual type of meet-ups could be planned before, during and after the main event. We could establish a couple of times in advance to meet for informal dinners and happy hours. We could also plan more free time during the weekend to allow for casual time, walks to Starbucks, etc.

There is also a tendancy to leave quickly after the Sunday presentations are done. That seems like the absolute best time to sit around and talk.

2 days is almost too little time for what is trying to be accomplished.

I totally agree!

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
How in the heck do we do this in 2 or even 3 days?! :shrugs:

-Russ H.

Add an optional extra day w/ more of a networking / brainstorming format? Sounds like some people are already planning on arriving a few days early or staying a few days late.

As an aside, it was my understanding that MJ took as much time as he wanted and shared what he wanted to share.

Overall, it sounds like a lot of people simply want more time to chat!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Obviously I wasn't there last year, but several ideas came up in this thread that I think are great.

-I would love to hear how ideas have been implemented
-the rotating meals idea is genius
-mastermind groups is another really good idea

I have talked to several folks who attended last year. They mentioned by day two of the presentations it was much harder to focus. Overwhelming volume of information. Also, the simple nature of the group is doers, so when presented with a great concept, their minds wander a bit on the concept.

While I think every person should have to participate in the B&P, I also think that presentations don't have to be the only way.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
While I think every person should have to participate in the B&P, I also think that presentations don't have to be the only way.

Very good point! People can contribute in the form of brainstorming sessions, mastermind groups, problem solving sessions, etc.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I hope I can put this so it comes out right. I was one of those that had a hard time the second day of sitting. I mean no disrespect to anyone. The volume of information was awesome both days. I wanted to hear everyone's story and I wanted to share some time with each person as well. But by the second day in the same seat my back and rear were killing me. The irritation made it hard for me to focus. I physically needed to move around but didn't want to come off as disrespectful. This year I may have to stand in the back for some time.

I really like the suggestion of mastermind groups and socializing time being mixed in with presentations. Also, I think Russ made the suggestion of having subject presentations. All of the SFH RE people would group together to make their presentation. All E-biz people could pool together their knowledge for their show. Apt. people could get together and make their presentation, etc. This might cut down on some repeat shows.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Not a bad idea. BUT, I would be so afraid that I would miss something. Some of the topics I had little interest in became my favorite presentations this year. And as I've stated previously, I got at least a nugget of useful information or inspiration out of every single talk.

Well, the good news is that we have about 5 months and a lot of bright, creative minds here to figure it out!

I'm very much looking forward to it and I think Bobo (mr. Jill) is coming with. So I'd better get busy on some of my projects if I hope to report any progress since last time.. IRS really can suck the wind outta ya, eh?

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I have been out of the loop for the past week or so. ...What was the winning location, and dates?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
So we have a location...how about we firm up a date, so airline tickets can be hunted down??

I know we ran into issues with Spring Training in the past. Do we want to try to work around that?

Good point Bob. The folks who live nearby don't realize how tough it can be to get a reasonable flight into Phoenix during Feb/Mar. Last year it was the difference between me being able to attend, so the sooner the dates are nailed down the better.

Where's our benevolent dictator? :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
jon lee hacker said:
Where's our benevolent dictator? :)
That'd be me. :smx8:

This fell off my radar w/the election and all. Sorry.

I'm in the midst of looking at airfare costs for different weekends.

Also going out tonight, so prolly won't have info until tomorrow.

Any fastlane oriented EVENTS in Phoenix between Feb 10 and April 20, please post them here. They don't have to be mid-week. Pity there isn't a Tony Robbins event around that time nearby.

Thx,

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Mesa Community College (that's right next door to Phoenix) has a Disney Institute this coming Mon Mar 9.

Disney Institute - Keys to Excellence

Cost last year was about $310-395 per person (lower price was for preferred admission, which I'm guessing we could get if we brought 10 people).

Interest?

Other ideas?

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The "Apartment Finance Today" national conference is on March 30 - April 1st. It is expensive at around $700 but exceptionally valuable to me. I plan to attend.

Apartment Finance Today Conference

I realize that there is a limited audience for this but am attempting to put something forward.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.