The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

At what age did you start to get your shit together?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Here's my rule of thumb -- If you don't get it together by the time you're 40, you ain't gonna! And those who don't make that transition, die young of really stupid stuff -- mostly self-inflicted.

Not true at all. Not even close.....

Do you think life is over at 40? At 40 you still have 25+ years to actually LIVE and appreciate it. Now if you haven't got it together by the time you are 60..... go find someone 60+ that has it together and just ride their coat tail the rest of the way. But personally, at 60, I'll still be trying new things. Even if I live to 90, if I think of a business I want to start, I'll give it a try. I won't be done until I'm done.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not true at all. Not even close.....

Do you think life is over at 40? At 40 you still have 25+ years to actually LIVE and appreciate it. Now if you haven't got it together by the time you are 60..... go find someone 60+ that has it together and just ride their coat tail the rest of the way. But personally, at 60, I'll still be trying new things. Even if I live to 90, if I think of a business I want to start, I'll give it a try. I won't be done until I'm done.
Life IS over at 40 IF you don't have your head together. And the younger you start, the better off you are. I'm 65 1/2 years old and I'm still going strong. Many of the guys I left behind in the dust at 40, and younger, aren't around to talk about anymore. And that was the question. No, life doesn't end at 40 IF you have your life going. I am a lot more successful now than I was when I was younger. I figure I have about 20 years left and I want to make them wonderful.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The way the question is worded asks when you started. I started digging my way out of poverty at 17. Headed the direction of unscripted at 37. I did try to start a business at 22 though. Didn't fail but had a job offer that I liked at the time.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
It's been an off and on thing for me, comes and goes, sometimes I'm untouchable and then I learn something new and then I have to get my shit together, like after I read the Fastlane".
Seriously, age 17, I got my girlfriend of two years pregnant, quite school to get away from my partying loveing "Non-FastLane" friends. The best news is I'm still married to the same gal for 41 years and five kids later. She is the absolute best thing that ever happened, I'm a multi-millionaire in that category. I did get my GED and never stopped reading /educating myself ever since.
So chose the red pill , but still love the blue pill:)

G. Wellthy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 21, 2018
I got my shit together after:
1) mastering a skill, and hating the business application of that skill
2) gambling all my savings on a high risk startup with multiple co-founders and lots of conflict, then finally
3) finding enough self-awareness to find the right balance of risk and reward

I’ve ended up in the slowlane with more equity upside and zero downside risk to my lifestyle. So plenty of parallels to the fastlane but if I’m being honest, it’s a job.

I’ve gotten lucky and I wouldn’t have gotten lucky without getting my shit together.

I’m 37.

(I’m also the valedictorian of my high school, a top 10% business student, a top 25% law student, and a student athlete and the world around me told me I had my shit together all of that time... which I didn’t)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
26 when i developed chronic fatigue from night shift office job.
Id go to work 10pm, come home 7am, sleep until 7pm, go to work at 10pm.

At this point i had no choice, i was a zombie. Either i accept my fate or find a way out.
I accepted that i'm not indestructible, i had to take care of myself properly.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
at 20 when my parents where about to lose their home...
I stopped being a DJ(doing what i loved) and started my journey

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
i don't think anyone really has their "shit' together as life is always moving but if you mean having your health, wealth, love, and happiness handled then yeah I just need one of those and I am good.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
"getting your shit together" is a very vague term.

I "STARTED" getting my shit together, in my opinion, at 23. It was the time when I started to chase women. I did not hav any idea about women at that time. I started reading stuff, moved in with my friends to get inspiration etc.

At this point in my life, I had a masters' degree in engineering, a safe job in the university as a research assistant and I was also living in the first world. I had 25k debt with 1-2% interest. I did not smoke, did not do weed or drank alcohol. I probably had my shit together in comparison to a lot of people here.

But I was a virgin, I had no clue about what to do with my career and I did not have any goals at all.

I am 30 now and I STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY SHIT TOGETHER. I have 10-20k in the bank, but that is not a lot of money. I work as an engineer in railway industry. I halved my debt. I started one Amazon FBA venture with failure.

- I like my work, pays me 3.3k which I save about 50-60%, but more money would be a lot more convenient. I have health insurance, unemployment insurance I finished my PhD as well.
- I reduced my debt and I am going to pay it completely until I become 32.
- I had a lot of chicks, they were not models but they were cute, kinky next door chicks. I did a lot of kinky stuff and I still do. I have a gf now, she is quite open-minded and I love her openness.

BUT

- I still have 17k debt.
- I still do not have that much "F*ck you" opportunities. I have 30 vacation days a year but it is not as much as I wish it is.
- I still do not have another source of income other than my paycheck and measly dividends.
- I am still living in a shared flat, although it is going to change soon.
- I still do not know who "that girl" is.

I STARTED at 23, but do I "have my shit together" at 30? Hell no.

I have got a lot of stuff covered though and I am only grateful for it.

I would say, stop wishing for "completion of difficulties" because you will never have that. You live, because you are challenged enough. There is never an end. Stop seeking for it. Focus on growth instead.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
"getting your shit together" is a very vague term.

I "STARTED" getting my shit together, in my opinion, at 23. It was the time when I started to chase women. I did not hav any idea about women at that time. I started reading stuff, moved in with my friends to get inspiration etc.

At this point in my life, I had a masters' degree in engineering, a safe job in the university as a research assistant and I was also living in the first world. I had 25k debt with 1-2% interest. I did not smoke, did not do weed or drank alcohol. I probably had my shit together in comparison to a lot of people here.

But I was a virgin, I had no clue about what to do with my career and I did not have any goals at all.

I am 30 now and I STILL HAVE NOT GOT MY SHIT TOGETHER. I have 10-20k in the bank, but that is not a lot of money. I work as an engineer in railway industry. I halved my debt. I started one Amazon FBA venture with failure.

- I like my work, pays me 3.3k which I save about 50-60%, but more money would be a lot more convenient. I have health insurance, unemployment insurance I finished my PhD as well.
- I reduced my debt and I am going to pay it completely until I become 32.
- I had a lot of chicks, they were not models but they were cute, kinky next door chicks. I did a lot of kinky stuff and I still do. I have a gf now, she is quite open-minded and I love her openness.

BUT

- I still have 17k debt.
- I still do not have that much "F*ck you" opportunities. I have 30 vacation days a year but it is not as much as I wish it is.
- I still do not have another source of income other than my paycheck and measly dividends.
- I am still living in a shared flat, although it is going to change soon.
- I still do not know who "that girl" is.

I STARTED at 23, but do I "have my shit together" at 30? Hell no.

I have got a lot of stuff covered though and I am only grateful for it.

I would say, stop wishing for "completion of difficulties" because you will never have that. You live, because you are challenged enough. There is never an end. Stop seeking for it. Focus on growth instead.
If you were captured by an african tribe during a safari and had to surivive do you still have your "shit" together. This is why the term is so vague. If someone in that captured group had emotional control and had a good perspective in that situation and the best chance of survival to get out but was a stoner poor person in the real world and the rich guy was freaking out causing mayhem and making him the reason why the african tribe will kill them, you can argue the stoner has his "shit" more together.

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
Call me a late bloomer. I started to get my shit together at around 50, when I decided enough was enough in the corporate world and decided to become a real estate agent. I'd had side-gigs before, but I never expected them to make me financially independent, and I was right.

Neither did real estate, but it introduced me to a whole new world, where I was responsible for what time I put into my business, my own self-development, and everything else that goes into creating a successful business. Until recently, I have chosen to play small, but twenty years of work on myself has finally positioned me to add real value. I'm still getting my shit together, at age 70.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
Started at 17 when I was left on my own, which led me to a path that culminated at 30 (to the supposedly apex of 'success' in scripted world). Didn't conform or sit down to eat the BS.

Scrapped and rebuilt all my beliefs and paradigms during the last 3 years (still going). Currently working on several projects which develop and embody Fastlane skills and principles while hitting off items from my professional bucket list, which also have the potential of developing into additional cool and unbeknownst projects.

At this point in life, my 'shit' will never be together by standard norms; I like to artistically rearrange it based on my principles and goals.

Valier

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,021%
Apr 3, 2019
UK, London
Started to "get my shit together" at 17. Began diving into self-development at this age, starting with the whole "no-fap" movement, later getting a gym membership, then taking my future career more seriously (which at the time was acting).

Also had no clue how to talk to girls, so I found RSD which motivated me to leave my house and interact with strangers, more specifically, girls - that improved my social skills dramatically.

Had sparks of wanting to start a business at 18, but didn't want to let my acting dream fade to dust, so I convinced myself that acting was all that I ever wanted to do in my life.

Just before my 19th birthday I finished TMF . My world completely changed. Realised that I truly wanted to start a business, that I wasn't as passionate about acting as I had tried to convince myself.

At 19 I wrote down everything that I could about what my values were, what I wanted my life to look like, who I wanted my friends to be, my morals, my philosophies, my vision, my goals etc. Four themes constantly re-appeared: 1) Financial Freedom, 2) Travelling, 3) Family, 4) Writing.

Deciding that the first of these four things will help greatly with achieving all the others, I set my sights on getting exactly that. Started my first business at 19, and that's pretty much where I'm at today.

Wouldn't consider it having "my shit together" exactly, but it was definitely the start...

SeePetey

Highly Trained Ape
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 8, 2012
Elsewhere
The year was 2024, and my mom's new boyfriend wanted to build a movie room in her basement...

Matt Dassel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 15, 2018
19 when I started was running after women. Then learned how to channel ambition into long term goals.

But I think the real question is: How did you start to get educated?

In school, you are educated as part of a generic group. You are assumed to be generic and reduced to a number. To have generic ambitions and dreams. To me, it all changed when I put the focus of my education on me and stopped putting other people, governments and society first. As an individual, you can only do so good to a small group of people inside the marketplace who trust you and admire you and your work. And all of your obligations are done when you finish paying your taxes.

Schools are a funny thing, thinking about them now... They don't have to tell you that they don't care about you. You just have to look at what they do to you and how much they charge for their courses. But if you are naive, you actually may come to believe they are helping you individually.

Last edited:

Ru9

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 13, 2019
I swallowed the red pill when I was 25. As for getting my shit together, still working on that

alekssiht

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Mar 15, 2019
Estonia
Well, depends what means shit together. But I assume, doing the things you want to do(Career, business, just being a decent human being), moving forward in the right path, actually trying to be an Adult.
I guess it happened during this year, decision by decision.
For me, 2 things triggered this reaction: 1 - Comedown from drugs one night, it really hit me hard. What in the actual F*ck am I doing and why am I in this strange place full of people pretending to be "You're all my best friends here" Shallowness
2 - Mind shift from self to others.
23 here

NicholasCato

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 31, 2018
I would say 24. I’m 26 now.
At 24 I sort of had a quarter life crisis. Even though I’ve always been strong willed, self motivated and focused, I realized the career path I’d chosen (illustration) might not be my fastlane for the life I envisioned for myself. That year was a year of introspection. 25 was the year of having day jobs I absolutely hated. 26 has been the year of growing pains and building the life I want.

Now things don’t seem to worry me like they used to like being accepted by most people or living a life I think I’m supposed to live. I’ve never felt more like myself than this year honestly but I’m still in the trenches building and discovering what my fastlane is.

Andy Bell

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Feb 10, 2019
Zihuantanejo
22 Decided I needed to get my shit together
24 I thought I had my shit together, was wrong
26 I really thought I had my shit together, was wrong
28 Was sure I had my shit together, was wrong
30 I am more than sure I have my shit together

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I’m not where I want to be and I wouldn’t say I’m perfect and have my shit entirely together, but when I was 21 I moved to a new country and said to myself I didn’t come here to do the same shit I was doing back home, I’m going to come here put my head down and make it, once I’ve done that I can go home and get back on my bullshit.

I’m 26 now and like I said above I’m not where I want to be but I am doing much better and am on a good path. I didn’t drink for about 3 years after moving here and still don’t very often. Before I moved it was big nights out every week.

Vegvisir

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 17, 2019
North Dakota
For me I have had spurts of major progress business wise, one of my best times was from age 22-25 in regards to entrepreneurship. I am 27 now and have been focusing heavily on my slowlane career(engineering) the last two years. Now that I have established myself and gone through the initial learning curve in my career I am getting back into putting more effort into my fastlane goals. For example i am currently making progress into securing my first rental property in the coming months.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
We don't get much control growing up. Don't really pick our school, our neighborhood, or most times, what we actually do with our time.

How nice would it be making millions of bucks watching MTV all day?
Too bad that's not the case.

I had been an entrepreneur since elementary school. My mom was a small business owner, and my dad a salesman. So you might say it was destiny.

My junior year of highschool (age 15) I learned about the different economic classes (lower class, middle class, upper middle, upper class, etc.).

After seeing the way the upper class lived, I was ready to do whatever it took. I read rich dad poor dad, and learned all I could find about the stock market.

I wouldn't be where I am now without all of the knowledge I've accumulated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.