The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask Me Anything - Facebook Ads [2M+ Ad spend]

Itsmeantonios

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 28, 2020
Canada
I'd like to start doing some facebook ad runs for my small business I'm trying to raise local awareness of.

It's an in-home service so I really only want to target people in my local area. From my understanding, since almost no one knows I exist, I would want to do an awareness campaign? I don't have a company website at the moment, just a Facebook Page set up for my business with my services, photos, etc. I was thinking of targeting people in my local area with kids. My business is focused on home stuff and kids make for a messy home which I believe my services are very applicable to.

I don't have anything for them to buy, since it's service based, nor do I have a way for them to book an appointment on my Facebook page as each client's needs could vary wildly, and they wouldn't know how much time they would need from me. I put my email, phone number, whatsapp all easily accessible on the page though so I am just trying to drive people there to raise awareness of my services.

Just looking for a bit of guidance for if this is what I should do as a first test run on their platform...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Do you put your left shoe on first, or right shoe?

simplysi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 24, 2020
Las Vegas
Hello Pritesh,
I hope this finds you doing well and healthy in these unchartered times, from your name I’m guessing you are from one of my favorite places - (where I travelled EXTENSIVELY) - on earth - so Namaste!

For the past 25 years I’ve successfully created in front of & sold spray paintings around the world. A Successful Sidewalk (literally!) Spray-Paint Artist NEEDS help with e-Commerce- due to CV -19 and police regs I can no longer do this where I live in Las Vegas.

Put me in any police free- good weather- tourist hotspot and within minutes I have a crowd and pockets full of money and happy people walking away from a fair exchange :))

So in April I went to Udemy and took the top rated courses in FB& YT ads, also a course by a very successful online artist of how to grow a FB page and sell online-

Three months of intense study I was bubbling with energy apply my new found knowledge!

Three months later -after various giveaways, building my FB page to 550 “fans”, Monthly Promotions, daily content updates- almost zero engagements per ORGANIC post- (So much for the FB Page course!)

Alongside this front of attack - I tried to place YT ads (I know not you’re but hear this) for 3 months tried 8 different iterations of ads - each would not show- after following JC’s course to the letter- so contacted him - he looked at my back end- HE could not figure it out - so went to Google- they FINALLY after weeks - different tiers of reps- because I used the line “For the first time ever in 25 years due to CORONAVIRUS I’m offering my art online!”

YES we cannot mention CV19 in Google Or YouTube
- the funny thing the next day they put a note on all the ads this was the reason- NOTHING before- so 3 months held up because of this.

Edited the ad I wanted to run and 10 days later good figures back! Was a Traffic ad to build Website Visitors- so when above 1000 will retarget them.

On the third front I have run FB ads as follows:

Engagement 3 times and three ads and ad sets - $2-3 a day (to promote the Monthly Giveaway) 1 cent CPC - The giveaway I announced a day before, then two hours before and the only people turning up were friends from childhood!

The Course I took all recommend this tactic - so when I saw 4-5K Engagement figures WOW I NAIVELY thought = all those people coming to watch the Giveaway and they’ll buy If they don’t win!!!

Page Likes - was happy with this as getting Page Likes for 25 cents a click -

Then also Ran Conversion Ads - as very little traffic to my website I checked Google Analytics and around 300 since opened - so instead of Sales - I set Campaign for Add To Cart & List Content

So five months of trying and ZERO sales
- the Engagement Campaigns even though I put for interests Street Art -Graffiti - Banksy etc (as no particular category in Interests for spray paint art even though MILLIONS of views on Social Media- not me at this stage!) ALMOST zero interest in a FREE painting or coming to my page and watching videos!

The guys that run the FB ads course I took RAVE about Engagement ads and yet I’ve heard since they are not the best ROI- I’d love to hear your real world take on this too, please.

I NEED a plan of action - I have tried and failed miserably - and running out of time and money fast.

I saw in this thread you recommend Conversion ads - Optimized For Views-

Would you recommend the same for my situation - with A: Very little website traffic B: Limited Budget C: Limited real world experience and not wanting to throw money away - as I have so far

I would happily spend a grand a month on ads IF it brought back a healthy return after all my overheads.
So any advice you can give-

For your time answering this - please go here and choose a picture I’ll send to you Pritesh
Home Of The Original Times Square Spray Paint Artist - Spray Paint Art

All the best Simon

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
If I want to promote a mobile application for android and / or ios, do I choose Facebook Ads or Google Ads? I specify that I am alone and not yet have a lot of means to invest in advertising credits. What strategies do you suggest to me? Thank you for your help.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
@Pritesh Can I have an answer please ? :)

ConstGo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 18, 2021
I run 2 ads on Facebook and 2 on Instagram. All were working well and spent some of the budget.

Created a third ad where I placed a button directing them to my Facebook page (I now read this is not allowed by Facebook).

The ad was rejected along with all the other ads that were already running, and whenever I create a new ad with no button or url it is instantly rejected. The message that appears is:

-------------

15. Non-functional landing pagePolicyAdverts must not direct people to non-functional landing pages. This includes landing page content that interferes with a person's ability to navigate away from the page.

ExamplesError pages or sites that are under constructionLanding pages that are PDF or JPEG filesLanding pages that don't match the product or service promoted in the advertLanding pages that automatically download files to a person's computerLanding pages that require you to download additional programs or software to access the content on the pageLanding pages with a low
Web of Trust ratingDirecting people to a closed or secret Facebook groupSending people to www.facebook.com

-------------

Of course I cannot find help or answer anywhere since Facebook does not have customer service, I feel like my account is banned from creating ads. If anyone knows anything about this I am eternally grateful if you can share!!!:'(

saundad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 17, 2021
if you have a website that is for certain businesses to advertise and its run for consumers, would you bias fb ads for the businesses or for the consumers when starting out ?
@Pritesh

saundad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 17, 2021
I run 2 ads on Facebook and 2 on Instagram. All were working well and spent some of the budget.

Created a third ad where I placed a button directing them to my Facebook page (I now read this is not allowed by Facebook).

The ad was rejected along with all the other ads that were already running, and whenever I create a new ad with no button or url it is instantly rejected. The message that appears is:

-------------

15. Non-functional landing pagePolicyAdverts must not direct people to non-functional landing pages. This includes landing page content that interferes with a person's ability to navigate away from the page.

ExamplesError pages or sites that are under constructionLanding pages that are PDF or JPEG filesLanding pages that don't match the product or service promoted in the advertLanding pages that automatically download files to a person's computerLanding pages that require you to download additional programs or software to access the content on the pageLanding pages with a low
Web of Trust ratingDirecting people to a closed or secret Facebook groupSending people to www.facebook.com

-------------

Of course I cannot find help or answer anywhere since Facebook does not have customer service, I feel like my account is banned from creating ads. If anyone knows anything about this I am eternally grateful if you can share!!!:'(
hey mate, there is a facebook support chat that you can access via googling fb business support messenger. yes its a huge pain in the a$$ but its the only way unfortunately they dont do email or phone.
ive had an ad account banned for no reason either

TheLastBardo

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 24, 2021
How do you get ad creatives made?

I'm building a website and am thinking to use paid FB ads to drive traffic. Unlike Google ads, I need creatives for FB. I don't want to personally make those creatives since it requires art / design skills. I'd like to know how people usually get creatives made - hiring through Upwork?

saundad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 17, 2021
How do you get ad creatives made?

I'm building a website and am thinking to use paid FB ads to drive traffic. Unlike Google ads, I need creatives for FB. I don't want to personally make those creatives since it requires art / design skills. I'd like to know how people usually get creatives made - hiring through Upwork?
yes mate on fiverr or you could learn photoshop on a website called skillshare ?

morganpochin

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 23, 2021
Hey guys,

I am here to answer any questions you might have about Facebook ads.
I have around $2M+ Ad spend experience on Facebook (85% agency, 15% personal). Total paid ads experience of $7.2 M+ if you include Google Ads.

I am here only to talk about Facebook ads, as my experience with Google Ads is extremely one dimensional and I cannot give you any advice on that despite it being the majority of my ad spend.

I have run all types of ads on Facebook from app installs to dynamic product ads, from whitehat to cloaked ads, from lead gen to conversion, for ecom stores to small businesses almost everything. I have quit the agency to start my own and right now I am running only eCommerce ads for passive income and lead gen ads for offline service-based businesses.

I reserve the right to respond to questions that might force me to reveal my ad strategies, I particularly will not entertain any questions that directly ask me for my personal ad testing techniques, etc. I have my own approach to doing things, and revealing it would just not be in my best interests. I can, however, provide you critique on your ad testing approach.

Please do not ask me long-winded questions or stack 3+ question in a single post, I urge you to value my time.

All answers are my opinion and based on my experience, YMMV.

Finally, I am also working with a select group of individuals who need lead gen services for their business for video testimonials for my new agency, you can check it out here: FOR HIRE - Looking for Clients/Leads/Sales For Your Business? I am Your Guy
Hi there. I'm currently setting up a conversion ad having not used FB for a little while, and the adset doesn't appear to have an option for opting out of Detailed Targeting Expansion? Is there another way around this? Or is this an 'improvement' by Facebook?

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
Is your advice about the ecommerce new business also applicable for Instagram or limited to facebook ads? I am trying to find out how to test ads the best for an ecom business with physical product (just one product).

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Hi there. I'm currently setting up a conversion ad having not used FB for a little while, and the adset doesn't appear to have an option for opting out of Detailed Targeting Expansion? Is there another way around this? Or is this an 'improvement' by Facebook?
You should still be able to opt out of this but if you duplicate the ad set FB sneakily turns it back on.
1630169851738.png

I had one audience it was not appearing on. This was an old audience that was saved awhile back, recreating it let me toggle it.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I am trying to find out how to test ads the best for an ecom business with physical product (just one product).

Do you have a specific question?

What do you mean find out how to test ads? Question is too general to give good advice on.

High level advice which hopefully helps people trying to get started:
1 - figure out a few angles on how to describe the need your product solves
2 - put together some creatives focused on each angle, each angle you'll probably want a few variations for (key variables are image (or first couple of seconds if video), headline (for FB n/a for IG) and the first couple lines of primary text (whatever is shown before the 'see more')
3 - images will probably be easier to test initially but once you find an angle that resonates with your target audience then test video
4 - I'd suggest testing how engaging the creatives by running a low budget engagement campaign split testing the different creatives for each angle (ie same image with 3 different headlines for angle X). While this isn't as good as testing with a conversion campaign it works much better for low budget since the CPM will be far less. I'd go pretty broad with targeting when testing the engagement unless you are testing a specific message targeted at a subset of your market.
5 - Once you get say 5000 impressions pick the winning creative (in terms of shares/comments/positive sentiment) and run a conversion goal campaign using that post id (bonus it will have some social proof like 'likes' on it). Run traffic direct to product page. Run this ad creative with your highest performing audience (or a targeted subset of applicable for the angle). If you don't have one, test different audiences you think will resonate with the message until you find a winner. Audience tests should be done using conversion campaign since you want to know if they will buy.
6 - I'd suggest setting up retargeting ATC, IC and Website Visitors before running any tests. Keep an eye on frequency and adjust budget accordingly.
7 - Evaluate performance. If your conversion rate sucks then you either a) have an offer problem or b) are targeting the wrong audience and they are mismatched with your offer. Anything to do with your website/product/pricing, etc falls under "offer". If your CTR sucks then you have a creative problem or a targeting problem.

There are a lot of specifics about how to setup each step but like I said, you didn't ask a specific question. Hopefully this helps someone.

Regarding #7 only you will be able to evaluate performance and if PPC will be a viable option for you based on your business and your results.

Also, be prepared to lose money on tests. But if you actually have a good product eventually you should be able to find a winning combo of audience/offer/creative and PPC will give you instant reach/scalability.

I would also say that if you want to sell to the US and if you have an absolute margin of < ~$40 you will have a very difficult time with FB/IG PPC for cold traffic. If you're completely new at this and if you have a me-too product then double that. If you have something very unique you may be able to get away with less. YMMV

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
Do you have a specific question?

What do you mean find out how to test ads? Question is too general to give good advice on.
Thanks a lot for your elaborate explanation, this will definitely help me and other people.

However when you suggest to start with a engagement campaign (for low budget), I question what the best approach would be for me. I live in Europe and the budget for testing can be up to 300 - 500 eu (one product store), not sure if that is considered low budget for testing one product in a small country 20m people.

What I planned to do after doing research to start gathering data and see what works best:

- Focus mainly on Instagram (target group is most active here) and facebook feed
- 10 Adsets with each having 1 different interest within our niche
- Using 2 creatives and copy (custom video and image, different copy) for each adset, promocode included
- 5 eur per adset/day
- Analyze after 1 day and removing high CPC and narrowing down to best combo
- Optmized for conversion -> view content

Pretty similar to what was said in previous thread. Thanks for the tip to set up ATC, IC and website visitors before testing since that is something that was not done yet. Open to hear any critque about this. There is a lot too learn but the more I learn about this the more opportunities I see.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
Thanks a lot for your elaborate explanation, this will definitely help me and other people.

However when you suggest to start with a engagement campaign (for low budget), I question what the best approach would be for me. I live in Europe and the budget for testing can be up to 300 - 500 eu (one product store), not sure if that is considered low budget for testing one product in a small country 20m people.

What I planned to do after doing research to start gathering data and see what works best:

- Focus mainly on Instagram (target group is most active here) and facebook feed
- 10 Adsets with each having 1 different interest within our niche
- Using 2 creatives and copy (custom video and image, different copy) for each adset, promocode included
- 5 eur per adset/day
- Analyze after 1 day and removing high CPC and narrowing down to best combo
- Optmized for conversion -> view content

Pretty similar to what was said in previous thread. Thanks for the tip to set up ATC, IC and website visitors before testing since that is something that was not done yet. Open to hear any critque about this. There is a lot too learn but the more I learn about this the more opportunities I see.

Some quick feedback

• Having 10 adsets w/ interest targeting will chew through your 500 eu budget pretty quickly I mean that's a total of 50 eu per test, you likely won't have statistically significant results with that if you are optimizing for purchases.
  • Using the 2 creatives/copy for each adset will probably not work well for testing. Facebook will likely allocate almost all the budget to one creative especially with a low budget spend like that. This will impact ability to assess results. If you don't know which creative will work then you should split test the creative (single creative to an adset). Once you know what creative variants work you can run multiple creatives against a larger adset.
  • I still suggest using an engagement campaign to test the creatives before conversion testing since the CPM for your engagement campaign will be significantly less than a conversion campaign. Once you have the best performing creative in terms of engagement, use that for your conversion test.
  • Similar to point above you need 5-10k impressions to have statistically relevant results. This means you will not have meaningful data after running a 5 eu adset for a day and comparing CTR. Let's assume your CPM for a conversion campaign will average 10-15 eu for a cold audience (this is a guess since I advertise to US) but it's probably reasonable. So if that's the case 5 eu is going to get you like 300-500 impressions. If one appears to be outperforming it is too early to base conclusions because the data is too low.
  • In short, you don't have enough budget to run all the testing you are proposing with a purchase conversion campaign. You absolutely do need to run a purchase conversion campaign though so I would suggest limiting the number of tests based on some educated guesses and assigning them higher budget so you can get 5-10k impressions before drawing conclusions (ideally closer to 10k).
  • Evaluating results after duration is arbitrary, you should base your data on reach/impressions since it will be statistically meaningful that way. Think about it, if you show an ad to 500 people in a day is that really relevant? Many of them probably didn't even notice the ad.
  • Don't optimize for conversion -> view content, optimize for conversion -> purchase since that is your end goal for e-commerce, you don't want a bunch of people that click ads, you want people that buy things. Even though you won't have enough budget to get out of learning phase for a purchase campaign FB still knows (if you optimize for conversion) that you want to target high value individuals who have disposable income and may actually purchase your product. Always optimize for the actual end goal.
  • FWIW I highly doubt you will be able to find a profitable strategy with your budget, I would instead move the bar and see if you can get any sales of your product. Then you can evaluate if you want to put more money into it to optimize and see if you can create a profitable traffic source via PPC. If you get no sales after 500 eu in spend then you should evaluate if there is really a need for your product.
What is the margin and price point you are targeting? PPC isn't cheap which is why I mentioned the minimum margin in previous post.

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
Some quick feedback

• Having 10 adsets w/ interest targeting will chew through your 500 eu budget pretty quickly I mean that's a total of 50 eu per test, you likely won't have statistically significant results with that if you are optimizing for purchases.
  • Using the 2 creatives/copy for each adset will probably not work well for testing. Facebook will likely allocate almost all the budget to one creative especially with a low budget spend like that. This will impact ability to assess results. If you don't know which creative will work then you should split test the creative (single creative to an adset). Once you know what creative variants work you can run multiple creatives against a larger adset.
  • I still suggest using an engagement campaign to test the creatives before conversion testing since the CPM for your engagement campaign will be significantly less than a conversion campaign. Once you have the best performing creative in terms of engagement, use that for your conversion test.
  • Similar to point above you need 5-10k impressions to have statistically relevant results. This means you will not have meaningful data after running a 5 eu adset for a day and comparing CTR. Let's assume your CPM for a conversion campaign will average 10-15 eu for a cold audience (this is a guess since I advertise to US) but it's probably reasonable. So if that's the case 5 eu is going to get you like 300-500 impressions. If one appears to be outperforming it is too early to base conclusions because the data is too low.
  • In short, you don't have enough budget to run all the testing you are proposing with a purchase conversion campaign. You absolutely do need to run a purchase conversion campaign though so I would suggest limiting the number of tests based on some educated guesses and assigning them higher budget so you can get 5-10k impressions before drawing conclusions (ideally closer to 10k).
  • Evaluating results after duration is arbitrary, you should base your data on reach/impressions since it will be statistically meaningful that way. Think about it, if you show an ad to 500 people in a day is that really relevant? Many of them probably didn't even notice the ad.
  • Don't optimize for conversion -> view content, optimize for conversion -> purchase since that is your end goal for e-commerce, you don't want a bunch of people that click ads, you want people that buy things. Even though you won't have enough budget to get out of learning phase for a purchase campaign FB still knows (if you optimize for conversion) that you want to target high value individuals who have disposable income and may actually purchase your product. Always optimize for the actual end goal.
  • FWIW I highly doubt you will be able to find a profitable strategy with your budget, I would instead move the bar and see if you can get any sales of your product. Then you can evaluate if you want to put more money into it to optimize and see if you can create a profitable traffic source via PPC. If you get no sales after 500 eu in spend then you should evaluate if there is really a need for your product.
What is the margin and price point you are targeting? PPC isn't cheap which is why I mentioned the minimum margin in previous post.
Love the information you are providing. Hopefully I can share meaningful data based on these posts when I have results.

One thing that might maybe give you better insight into my situation:
I have ran 2 traffic campaigns and 2 conversion campaigns, without really knowing what I was doing for a couple days.
Traffic is about avg 0,19Eu CPM avg 0,67Eu cents.
Impression ratio 0,80-0,95.

Longest campaign was the traffic one, 5k impressions, 138 unique clicks and total cost 26 eu. No sales. Is this a good indication to spend around 50 EU per engagement creative test. Planning to do 5 creatives then and use the rest for conversion after having insight.

Should the engagement campaign consist of 1 adset> 1 interest > 1 creative or can it have multiple interests within the same category?

Since launching in July we have 3 organic real purchases. Margin is about 15eu per unit.

Apprciate the help.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I have ran 2 traffic campaigns and 2 conversion campaigns, without really knowing what I was doing for a couple days.

When you say conversion campaign was the goal Purchase or something else?

Traffic is about avg 0,19Eu CPM avg 0,67Eu cents.

Did you mean 0,19 CPC? What was the CPM? Are you saying the CPM was 0.67 EU? that seems absurdly low for a purchase or traffic campaign.

Longest campaign was the traffic one, 5k impressions, 138 unique clicks and total cost 26 eu. No sales. Is this a good indication to spend around 50 EU per engagement creative test.

I don't think you'd need to spend 50 EU for the engagement test. Just enough to get 5k impressions per creative combo (ie headline/image/copy). CPM for post engagement objective is typically 80-90% cheaper than CPMs for conversion objective (at least in my US centric experience). So you may see something like 1-2 EU CPM which means if you ran 3 variants you'd be look at 5-10 EU per variant.

Should the engagement campaign consist of 1 adset> 1 interest > 1 creative or can it have multiple interests within the same category?

It would be ok to have multiple interest in the ad set in fact I would make them as broad as you think is reasonable to keep CPM low (while limited to what you believe is target audience/demographic). Set the budget at ad set level and only 1 creative per adset, don't use CBO for this since you want even spend across the creatives since you are effectively split testing.

So for example, pick an image you think will work well and create 3 headlines (use the same image and primary text). Run 3 ad sets with this creative for 5k impressions and see if there are major differences in engagement (shares/comments/etc), CTR will probably be low across all but check that as well.

Then run another image (or 2) with the winning headline and compare results.

Once you have the winning combination, run a conversion (Purchase) optimized campaign. Some people advocate really broad audience but if you are low budget I would say run a couple of audiences that are focused around personas (you can have stacked interest though) example maybe you have a yoga persona, so you select F age 25-45 interests: yoga, lululemon, other yoga brands - all in one interest - and these should be in the OR section ie customer just needs to match one, not in the AND column since audience will be too narrow).

Select a few audiences you think will work and use the post id that you deemed the best creative to those audiences (again ad set budget to split test), run these for 5k impressions unless results look abysmal. Like if you get 1k impressions and CTR of like 0.2 I'd probably just kill it and try with a new creative/angle for that audience or target a new audience.

One other thing, when you create the engagement campaign create the post itself in a disabled conversion campaign. The reason is so that you can create a CTA on the creative. Engagement goal doesn't let you have a CTA but if you create the creative in another campaign you can grab the post id (from page posts section of business manager) and reuse it in the engagement campaign (select the use existing post option and paste the post id - it won't be in the drop down).

I create a disabled campaign / adset titled "CREATIVE" for just this purpose. I create all the new creatives under that disabled ad set and just copy the post id when I want to use it. It keeps everything organized.

Since launching in July we have 3 organic real purchases.

This is good, where did they come from?

Margin is about 15eu per unit.

I think this will be a challenge. What is the price point of the product? Higher price products will typically have lower conversion rate so if it's 50-100 EU product and your margin is only 15 EU i think this will be difficult for FB PPC. If on the other hand the price is 16 EU and your margin is 15 EU maybe it is workable, not sure. Also make sure you calculate your margin including all fees (like shopify fees, hidden supplier fees, etc)

I think you'll need a very high conversion rate to make this product work on FB with that sort of absolute margin. Can you offer an upsell to increase AOV?

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
I think this will be a challenge. What is the price point of the product? Higher price products will typically have lower conversion rate so if it's 50-100 EU product and your margin is only 15 EU i think this will be difficult for FB PPC. If on the other hand the price is 16 EU and your margin is 15 EU maybe it is workable, not sure. Also make sure you calculate your margin including all fees (like shopify fees, hidden supplier fees, etc)

I think you'll need a very high conversion rate to make this product work on FB with that sort of absolute margin. Can you offer an upsell to increase AOV?

Thanks that made it clear to me. Going to start tomorrow with it.

Traffic (no pixel) campaign was 0,19CPC and conversion>conversion campaign 0,67CPC, sorry my mistake..

Purchase price is 24,95 (margin 15), 2 units 45, 3 units 60 (active promo for 15-20% in ads/insta posts etc.). It would be even ok to breakeven on ads even though that is not the goal, it will create brand awareness for us and reviews but yea end goal is purchases. Definitely good lesson to understand fb ads better for when targetting int. locations.

Btw. we focus mostly on instagram fees and faceboo feed. Or is it better to tick all boxes to have the placement everywhere. EXCITED TO COME BACK WITH DATA!!!

edit: sales came from 2x insta and 1x google

edit2:
Do I set the same interests for the 3 adsets or have different interests for them. I get huge overlapping when doing different interests related to the niche but with the same creatives on the 3 adsets it will still overlap, right? Even when making the audience broad it overlaps because all of interests are kinda inter linked to each other. For example Dance-> can be music, concerts, EDM, festivals and vice versa.

Or is the overlapping not an issue since it is an PPE campaign, or I am overthinking everything...

You meantion headline but with PPE, this option is not available. It is with Traffic/conversion.

edit3:
Managed to understand to use facebook's a/b test feature to avoid overlapping.

Last edited:

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
edit2:
Do I set the same interests for the 3 adsets or have different interests for them. I get huge overlapping when doing different interests related to the niche but with the same creatives on the 3 adsets it will still overlap, right? Even when making the audience broad it overlaps because all of interests are kinda inter linked to each other. For example Dance-> can be music, concerts, EDM, festivals and vice versa.

Or is the overlapping not an issue since it is an PPE campaign, or I am overthinking everything...

You meantion headline but with PPE, this option is not available. It is with Traffic/conversion.

edit3:
Managed to understand to use facebook's a/b test feature to avoid overlapping.

I think you are overthinking things. Your budget is too low for overlapping to be a practical problem, you probably won't reach 1% of either audience. Besides these are temporary tests, once you find winning audiences you will combine them.

Use the same audience when testing creatives. You want to control variables, change only the creative element you are placing under test and keep everything else the same, otherwise the test has conflicting factors and you won't know what is causing a change (if any).

Re: no headline w/ PPE - this is why I mention to create the ad as conversion (but being disabled) see my previous post about a single disabled ad set where you can store creatives and reuse with the same post id for other objectives. Takes a bit longer but keeps things organized and it will workaround the issue you're seeing.

re: a/b test - i tried using this but preferred to just do it myself. I can't remember the specific reasons why I didn't like facebooks a/b test compared to setting it up manually. If it works for you though go for it.

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
Ran 3 ad sets with 3 same creatives but different copies(primary text).

instagram enagagement(facebook no engagement)
Ad 1: 117 likes
Ad 2: 107 likes
Ad 3 77 likes
Around 0,06 per engagement
This creative showcases our product being hold by someone but the face can not be seen.

We proceeded with posting a picture to our ig: almost same picture but face clearly visible. Because we dont get quite enough likes yet, I thought lets test engagement for social proofing our ig a lil bit. This time the cost was much lower 0,03 and engagement vs impression much higher.

im going to test a few more creatives this way but this time all different creatives.

breno

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2021
The option (box) to enable/disable the detailed targeting expansion is gone from my campaigns. Thank you very much in advance

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
The option (box) to enable/disable the detailed targeting expansion is gone from my campaigns. Thank you very much in advance

Is it true? Targeting expansion is to be ACTIVE by default? And that it cannot be disabled?​

Yes, it seems that way.

Facebook seem to be rolling out this update - which interestingly enough NONE of the ad accounts have the update, yet.

I can still select it or deselect it.

Others cannot.

What does this mean? Why are FB doing this?

Let's think about it:
  1. It's happening post iOS14.5
  2. FB have less data to be able to make interests work as effectively as they used to
  3. Expansion should, in theory, improve interest targeting
  4. Therefore FB decided to leave this enabled by default

However the thing I don't understand is why take away the ability to disable it?

Reminds me of when CBO was supposed to take over from ABO.

Then they realised that doesn't work for everyone.

Perhaps they'll realise that enabling this without the ability to disable it will ruin some of the 'laser targeting' methods of combining interests to carve out your ideal prospect.

credit: depesh mandalia

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 20, 2021
Hey guys,

I am here to answer any questions you might have about Facebook ads.
I have around $2M+ Ad spend experience on Facebook (85% agency, 15% personal). Total paid ads experience of $7.2 M+ if you include Google Ads.

I am here only to talk about Facebook ads, as my experience with Google Ads is extremely one dimensional and I cannot give you any advice on that despite it being the majority of my ad spend.

I have run all types of ads on Facebook from app installs to dynamic product ads, from whitehat to cloaked ads, from lead gen to conversion, for ecom stores to small businesses almost everything. I have quit the agency to start my own and right now I am running only eCommerce ads for passive income and lead gen ads for offline service-based businesses.

I reserve the right to respond to questions that might force me to reveal my ad strategies, I particularly will not entertain any questions that directly ask me for my personal ad testing techniques, etc. I have my own approach to doing things, and revealing it would just not be in my best interests. I can, however, provide you critique on your ad testing approach.

Please do not ask me long-winded questions or stack 3+ question in a single post, I urge you to value my time.

All answers are my opinion and based on my experience, YMMV.

Finally, I am also working with a select group of individuals who need lead gen services for their business for video testimonials for my new agency, you can check it out here: FOR HIRE - Looking for Clients/Leads/Sales For Your Business? I am Your Guy
Have the dimensions of photos and videos changed for Facebook ads?

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
Just a update:

The last couple of weeks were kinda hell with facebook. Now I understand why people say they are useless. From disabling my account, de-activating, proofing who I am and still not getting ads to spent.....I simply fixed it myself by opening a new AD account....This was about 6 emails with facebook...this could of saved a lot of time..

Meanwhile...we have had our organic purchases growing without any AD spend whatsoever.

So now I will follow again the tips listed above by @OverByte and report back what happens.

Doing this because I got a lot of help here and it can help others also...

Inprogresss

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2021
New update:

So I let the first conversion campaign run for 6 days (still running). The AD set audience consisted of 3 large interests relevant to product. The AD was a carousal with the first image being the product with text, second image benefits, third image product in use. 5EUR per day.

Reach 5.900
Impressions 7.500
Link clicks 100
CPP: 7.8EUR
Purchases 5
ROAS 3.7

Is this what you guys call good to create a scaling campaign?

It is not bad but it is not great either. We offer free shipping on all products which kinda takes a big chunk from the margin away ending with about 4.5 net profit per 1 product purchase.

Im going to try some different angles with the images and ad copies and see how that works out.

Also started retarget campaign to website visitors with traffic objective as this is cheaper. I know that conversion should be used since that is what we want but wanted to try it out regardless.

@OverByte any feedback would be appreciated

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.