The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
@Willy A lot of your questions have already been asked in this thread, have you read through it as well as walter hays threads to get a head start on everything?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Willy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Mar 20, 2016
@Willy A lot of your questions have already been asked in this thread, have you read through it as well as walter hays threads to get a head start on everything?
I guess you're right, I read about 12 pages into this thread and the recent posts. I've just been feeling really guilty that I read TMF so long ago, yet I haven't actually started doing. I'll finish taking notes on this thread and read Walter Hay's. Thanks!

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
How often do you freshen up your own websites with new themes or designs? (If at all).

I ask because a few small Ecommerce sites I use would change their layouts once in a while. I get they want to not have a stagnant design, but as an end user, the new layout usually confuses me when I'm trying to navigate.

Not sure if this plays a negative effect on their conversation rate, but it must be worth it to them since they keep doing it.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Went through the whole thread and this information is great Bio.

Thank you.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How often do you freshen up your own websites with new themes or designs? (If at all).

I ask because a few small Ecommerce sites I use would change their layouts once in a while. I get they want to not have a stagnant design, but as an end user, the new layout usually confuses me when I'm trying to navigate.

Not sure if this plays a negative effect on their conversation rate, but it must be worth it to them since they keep doing it.

I redesign then probably once every 2-3 years. I just had to redo all of mine because I switched from Bigcommerce.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Hey @biophase,

I know that you focus on building your listing organically; I am currently working on building one of my products review count up using family/friends. Do you have any experience with using the same people for reviewing multiple products?

I have a list of 25-35 people that are willing to buy and write reviews for multiple products, but I wouldn't want to be seen as "gaming the system" and risk a potential ban. In your experience, do you think they could see this as violating their ToS?

I'm planning on doing this in conjunction with PPC+Feedbackz to build strong, organic product listings.

Thanks!

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Edit: Nevermind. I found the answer.

In any event, thanks for an awesome thread, bio!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hey @biophase,

I know that you focus on building your listing organically; I am currently working on building one of my products review count up using family/friends. Do you have any experience with using the same people for reviewing multiple products?

I have a list of 25-35 people that are willing to buy and write reviews for multiple products, but I wouldn't want to be seen as "gaming the system" and risk a potential ban. In your experience, do you think they could see this as violating their ToS?

I'm planning on doing this in conjunction with PPC+Feedbackz to build strong, organic product listings.

Thanks!

Cynthia Stine's business is getting Amazon sellers un-suspended. She blogs occasionally, and has written a bit about reviews, and what she has seen actually get people suspended. I don't pay attention to any of the guru or FB noise, on what may or may not be against the rules, but when I read something from her about things that she's actually seen, I at least think twice about it.

Check out this article she wrote here: http://onlinesalesstepbystep.com/product-review/

Relevant Quote: "Reusing your list over and over again. One client shut down for manipulating the platform was using the same list over and over again. Every new product that came out, they went back to the list of people who had reviewed their previous products to see if they would review it again. While that does happen naturally (if a buyer is a fan of John Grisham, for example, he’ll read many of his books and possibly write reviews), this was not natural and the reviews were not reflecting the buying experience of typical customers. These were superfans who were approached many times for reviews. How did they get caught? Amazon didn’t say. Beware."

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Cynthia Stine's business is getting Amazon sellers un-suspended. She blogs occasionally, and has written a bit about reviews, and what she has seen actually get people suspended. I don't pay attention to any of the guru or FB noise, on what may or may not be against the rules, but when I read something from her about things that she's actually seen, I at least think twice about it.

Check out this article she wrote here: http://onlinesalesstepbystep.com/product-review/

Relevant Quote: "Reusing your list over and over again. One client shut down for manipulating the platform was using the same list over and over again. Every new product that came out, they went back to the list of people who had reviewed their previous products to see if they would review it again. While that does happen naturally (if a buyer is a fan of John Grisham, for example, he’ll read many of his books and possibly write reviews), this was not natural and the reviews were not reflecting the buying experience of typical customers. These were superfans who were approached many times for reviews. How did they get caught? Amazon didn’t say. Beware."

Perfect. That article confirmed my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to find that article. Rep transferred... because you are too cool for school :tiphat:

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
I redesign then probably once every 2-3 years. I just had to redo all of mine because I switched from Bigcommerce.
Good stuff, man. What platform did you end up going with? I saw some of your posts in Vigilante's thread when you were still getting information.

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Hi Bio, thanks for the great thread!

I read in an earlier post that you use Feedback Genius to get more reviews from your customers.

1. Did you test various email templates? If so, do you have any recommendation?
2. Since you're selling you own private label products, do you ask for product review instead of seller feedback?
3. What do you think is the best delay before contacting the customer? Seven days after delivery seems like a good choice, but I would like to get the opinion of a veteran seller like yourself.

Thanks!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use Feedbackgenius. I get a ton of reviews through it. I had a more elaborate one on the skin business I just sold but for the amazon business I still have I keep it very, very simple.

Email 1, immediately after the product is out for delivery and asks for seller feedback.

Hi [[first-name]],

Thank you for your recent order of "[[product-link]]".

Our system shows that your order is out for delivery and you should receive it soon.

If everything is in order when it arrives, would you do us a 20-second favor and leave a 5-Star Seller Review by [[feedback-link:clicking HERE.]]

If this order was not a 5-star experience for any reason, please [[contact-link:click here]] to let us know right away. We take every issue very seriously and will do everything we can to make it right.

Thank You,

Personal Name
Owner
Company Name

Second email goes out 4 days after they receive it and asks for product feedback (under the assumption that if there was a major problem they'd have replied to the first email or left seller feedback which is easily removed and responded to):

Thank you again for your order of "[[product-link]]".

It was delivered a few days ago and I hope everything is to your liking.

If you believe the product is worth a 5-Star Review, I'd really appreciate it if you could take 20 seconds to leave feedback for it by [[product-feedback-link:clicking HERE]].
If not, please [[contact-link:contact us]] right away with any issues.

Thank You,

Personal Name
Owner
Company Name

That's what I do and I've been very happy with it.

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada
I use Feedbackgenius. I get a ton of reviews through it. I had a more elaborate one on the skin business I just sold but for the amazon business I still have I keep it very, very simple.

Email 1, immediately after the product is out for delivery and asks for seller feedback.

Second email goes out 4 days after they receive it and asks for product feedback (under the assumption that if there was a major problem they'd have replied to the first email or left seller feedback which is easily removed and responded to):

Thanks JAJT for the answer!

A small warning though, asking for positive feedback/review is against Amazon TOS. But still, your 2 templates are great! Thanks!

Last edited:

lnBetween

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Oct 25, 2014
Montreal, Canada

@JAJT, do you find that more customers contact you with issues since you send them those emails?

And did your customers ever complained about receiving too many emails since Amazon already send them a couple emails for the transaction?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase,

Thanks!

All I do now is put my product up for sale. Once you get that brand built, you don't need to use review groups when you add new products. Of course it does depend on how strong your brand is. I would not use any review groups any more. For me, when I've found some gems, I don't want a review group to reveal my product to everyone.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Good stuff, man. What platform did you end up going with? I saw some of your posts in Vigilante's thread when you were still getting information.

I went with Sparkpay.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Bio, thanks for the great thread!

I read in an earlier post that you use Feedback Genius to get more reviews from your customers.

1. Did you test various email templates? If so, do you have any recommendation?
2. Since you're selling you own private label products, do you ask for product review instead of seller feedback?
3. What do you think is the best delay before contacting the customer? Seven days after delivery seems like a good choice, but I would like to get the opinion of a veteran seller like yourself.

Thanks!

1) Yes, I went with normal templates at first, but now everyone uses the same ones. So I made a custom letter and it is a super long one!
2) I always ask for a review instead of seller feedback. I don't even have a seller feedback link in my emails.
3) I send one email the minute they order, then I send a review email 2 days after delivery. I don't recommend you send an email right when they order unless you have a reason to. For my product, this initial email is important and helps build my brand which is why I send it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@JAJT, do you find that more customers contact you with issues since you send them those emails?

And did your customers ever complained about receiving too many emails since Amazon already send them a couple emails for the transaction?

To answer this.

Yes, the emails do make some customers complain about the product that probably would not have if they did not get the email. But it's worth the risk.

I have never received a response that said they were sick of my emails.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
To answer this.

Yes, the emails do make some customers complain about the product that probably would not have if they did not get the email. But it's worth the risk.

I have never received a response that said they were sick of my emails.

Here's one thing that has been working really well for a few of us here @biophase :

I provide 3 options:

a) I love this product, 5 stars (links to the ASIN specific leave a review URL)
b) I was satisfied but have some suggestions for improvement (links to the SELLER FEEDBACK page)
c) I am dissatisfied or need help (links to the SELLER FEEDBACK page)

Since using this method (and adding some brand-building, etc to the template), my review rate went way, way up from using the stock software template (I'm at 7-8% review rate), and almost NONE of them are 1 or 2 star. Instead, any negative comment or review goes to seller feedback, which is super simple to get removed. Over the past several months, I've risen from 4.3 stars on my best seller to 4.7 stars, and am on the cusp of that glorious 4.8. Meanwhile, my competitors are all stuck between 4 and 4.2.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Hey brother,

A more general question if you don't mind: because you do pretty large volumes...do you worry much about your business when you are traveling for leisure? IE do you check the numbers on your phone religiously or call your employee.

I loved your story of how you had to sell the NSX and got out of corporate America. I can somewhat relate. Always appreciate your help.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Here's one thing that has been working really well for a few of us here @biophase :

I provide 3 options:

a) I love this product, 5 stars (links to the ASIN specific leave a review URL)
b) I was satisfied but have some suggestions for improvement (links to the SELLER FEEDBACK page)
c) I am dissatisfied or need help (links to the SELLER FEEDBACK page)

Since using this method (and adding some brand-building, etc to the template), my review rate went way, way up from using the stock software template (I'm at 7-8% review rate), and almost NONE of them are 1 or 2 star. Instead, any negative comment or review goes to seller feedback, which is super simple to get removed. Over the past several months, I've risen from 4.3 stars on my best seller to 4.7 stars, and am on the cusp of that glorious 4.8. Meanwhile, my competitors are all stuck between 4 and 4.2.

What a nugget. Going to be implementing that one as soon as possible.

Awesome stuff.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey brother,

A more general question if you don't mind: because you do pretty large volumes...do you worry much about your business when you are traveling for leisure? IE do you check the numbers on your phone religiously or call your employee.

I loved your story of how you had to sell the NSX and got out of corporate America. I can somewhat relate. Always appreciate your help.

No, I can go a few weeks without checking in.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
No, I can go a few weeks without checking in.
That's sweet, man.

Do you empower your employee to do all tasks while you're away? IE answering to customers complaints, reordering from vendors, etc?

I'm still new to this, but when I was choosing my vendor, we communicate daily just to build rapport. My first mass production is en route. Many thanks to you for answering my questions on here and in person.

If you need someone to run the R8 here and there, let me know! [emoji41] lol jk.

Oztrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 9, 2013
I think the whole start small, choose a profitable niche is the wrong way to go. By picking a niche based on your funds and what everyone else is doing, you are basically guaranteeing an unsustainable business.

Bio, I am fortunate to have a little bit of capital to invest into FBA. Would you do anything different or target different niches perhaps if capital wasn't limited to a few K? Or more so how would you use a greater capital base to skew your chances of success? My thoughts would be to possibly sell a large number initially at a loss or break-even to move rank or target items to import that initially cost more (barrier to entry), may sell less but also hopefully less competition.

Any thoughts? Of course providing a great product that adds value is key.

BlahBlahBlah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Apr 9, 2015
Ireland
Hi @biophase ,

could you please write a list or marketing resources you use at the moment?
I started my e-Commerce store 3 months ago and have the following:

- Adwords, keeping bids quite low at the moment as was costing me too much per click, need to optimise. Also need to start some proper work on SEO as I am currently nowhere near first pages.
- Facebook, growing well.
- Instagram, just started, purchased a robot to help me with automation.
- Twitter, opened account but haven't started actively yet. Will start soon and will use same robot as for Instagram to help me with automation.
- Amazon advertising, will start as soon as Amazon approves my request in the Beauty/Health section, but they are being a pain.

I want to focus on the 5 above, but I would like to compare against what you are doing for marketing and hear what is performing better for you in 2016.

Thank you :)

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
I know this type of thing is being discussed, so I wanted to provide a real life example. Ordered an item on Amazon on April 26th. Just received the below email today. Just thought someone may find some potential value in it. Yes, my name is actually in there twice. Whoops! Now as a customer, I think this is way too much information. I didn't read it and won't. If you want something from me, get to the point fast. Just my two cents.

Your feedback is important!
Dear Aaron Aaron,

We just wanted to say thank you for your recent purchase with Avalanche Brands through Amazon.com. We hope that you are enjoying your Drano Professional Strength Kitchen Crystals Clog Remover, 18 Oz. As a company, we strive to provide our customers with quality products as well as complete customer satisfaction.

Your opinion is extremely valuable, if you have not already done so, we invite you to take a few moments and help your fellow shoppers make their purchasing decisions by providing a review of the products you purchased. It is very simple to do this, just follow the links below, and follow the on-screen instructions.

We would also like to know how we're doing! We first would like to assure you that if there are any problems, or you haven't received your order please contact us. Have any questions or concerns? We'll be more than happy to help.

If the order was received, and there were no problems, if you could take a minute to send Amazon.com feedback about the order, we'd really appreciate it. Order feedback is a very useful tool that allows us, as well as other prospective clients to see how we are doing as a company.

We really do appreciate your business and hope you choose to purchase from us again.

If you've had a pleasant buying experience, we would be grateful if you would leave us positive feedback by clicking on the following link: Leave feedback

Note: If for some reason the above link does not work, copy and paste this link into your browser address bar:
http://www.amazon.com//gp/feedback/...ck.html/?pageSize=1&order=115-9049402-4809023

Thank you again for your business. Have a great day!

Avalanche Brands Customer Service Team

Razz

VPH: Value Per Hour
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
515%
Apr 15, 2016
Thanks for doing this AMA @biophase , and for sticking around and detailing your journey. Know you've inspired lots of people over the years, and the actionable feedback you're providing in here is pretty awesome as well. Thanks man. No question here, just appreciation. :rockon:

For everyone else that has the chance to pick someone's brain: maybe it would be nice if you thanked them? Bio has provided a lot of info, along with personalized responses. While he doesn't seek or expect it, it's nice to interact and say thank you. Just a way of showing virtual respect. Dude has created master plans for people. It's all been laid out. Take this thread along with accomplished others, ex. Vigilante's on Amazon, and you'll have various perspectives from extremely successful leaders on how to start mastering your own success.

This thread, along with countless others, combines the trials and tribulations people here have gone through. They provide links to every level of experience, along with valuable information to and from everyone. It's incredible. Distilled down: make your process & wonder, "how can I make this better?", test and evolve.

Building an Amazon & other business? The bricks, mortar, and building materials are at your fingertips. The entire framework is there. Add your special sauce = unique DIY business. Even when a hurricane or disaster strikes, people here are willing to pick up the pieces and help you rebuild. Just to see you succeed, watch you build something better, and to get back up and realize your potential.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Thanks for doing this AMA @biophase , and for sticking around and detailing your journey. Know you've inspired lots of people over the years, and the actionable feedback you're providing in here is pretty awesome as well. Thanks man. No question here, just appreciation. :rockon:

For everyone else that has the chance to pick someone's brain: maybe it would be nice if you thanked them? Bio has provided a lot of info, along with personalized responses. While he doesn't seek or expect it, it's nice to interact and say thank you. Just a way of showing virtual respect. Dude has created master plans for people. It's all been laid out. Take this thread along with accomplished others, ex. Vigilante's on Amazon, and you'll have various perspectives from extremely successful leaders on how to start mastering your own success.

This thread, along with countless others, combines the trials and tribulations people here have gone through. They provide links to every level of experience, along with valuable information to and from everyone. It's incredible. Distilled down: make your process & wonder, "how can I make this better?", test and evolve.

Building an Amazon & other business? The bricks, mortar, and building materials are at your fingertips. The entire framework is there. Add your special sauce = unique DIY business. Even when a hurricane or disaster strikes, people here are willing to pick up the pieces and help you rebuild. Just to see you succeed, watch you build something better, and to get back up and realize your potential.
There's gold all over this forum but between this thread, Bio's easy or hard way, and Vick's thread they've pretty much placed a road map in my head on how to grow my business. I went from 0 to 1x,xxx monthly pretty quickly now it's time to go through these again to see what nuggets I can pick up to scale to 5x,xxx monthly and beyond.

Appreciate all you guys do..everyone.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Any tips on how to forecast inventory so that you balance the issue of having too much stock and not having any stock at all? Most orders from China seem to take anywhere between 2-4 weeks.

Do you just use excel and your best guestimates or is there a method here?

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
There's gold all over this forum but between this thread, Bio's easy or hard way, and Vick's thread they've pretty much placed a road map in my head on how to grow my business. I went from 0 to 1x,xxx monthly pretty quickly now it's time to go through these again to see what nuggets I can pick up to scale to 5x,xxx monthly and beyond.

Appreciate all you guys do..everyone.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I owe infinite thanks to Kenric. Need to check out Vick's thread now.

Definitely will hit you up once I go back home to Bkk! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.