The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

Alex W.

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my PPC ads, and click fraud from a competitor. I don;t have any proof, but all signs point to this. My ads should definitely be converting better, and as soon as i started getting sales initially, they dropped off, and now my budget gets used up with absolutely no sales.

Any advice about PPC click fraud on Amazon?

What signs are pointing to click fraud?

I didn't know Amazon allowed publishers to pull IP/time-stamp data.... Is there another way of detecting click fraud?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my PPC ads, and click fraud from a competitor. I don;t have any proof, but all signs point to this. My ads should definitely be converting better, and as soon as i started getting sales initially, they dropped off, and now my budget gets used up with absolutely no sales.

Any advice about PPC click fraud on Amazon?

I doubt it's click fraud. Your product may have gotten stale. Maybe a competitor has a better value now.

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
Hey bio,

how do you handle sales tax? I heard that you must collect sales tax for every state that you store products in. But a lot of people also said I don't need to collect sales tax in every state.

What's your approach?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I haven't read the entire thread but are you running any FB traffic and how is it converting for you?

I'm finding it way too inconsistent at the moment. Adwords is producing better results.

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
Another question:

Have you thought about selling your products on your online store through Amazon? I thought about changing my "Add to cart" buttons to "Buy on Amazon" buttons and make use of the better conversion rate/trust. I could just change it back and continue selling through my own channel if Amazon doesn't work anymore.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
My website launched last week. I haven't done any marketing at all. So far 6 sales just from word of mouth. Mailed out about 60% of my items to Amazon this morning since I finally got approved. I found out that emailing is the best route, and if you don't get a reply in due time, just keep spamming them with follow ups. I did this on a couple of critical issues that prevented me from mailing my items in. I got calls from Seattle and got the issues (that were ongoing for weeks) resolved within 30 minutes.

I can't thank Kenric enough! He laid the foundation/blueprint. So many ways I can spin this after it gets traction.

Another question:

Have you thought about selling your products on your online store through Amazon? I thought about changing my "Add to cart" buttons to "Buy on Amazon" buttons and make use of the better conversion rate/trust. I could just change it back and continue selling through my own channel if Amazon doesn't work anymore.

If you're doing FBA already, why not just plug in FBA as dropshipping into your website so you can still retain the customers' information? That's what I plan to do once the items I have at home run out since I sent most to Amazon.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Hey Kenric,

I've been thinking about this for a while now and wanted to get your two cents:

If you were going to start your own brand and send into Amazon, would you just rely on pictures, copy writing and the product itself to sell?

I've read and heard the rules have changed. You can't just have a friend buy your item and leave a good rating anymore. If Amazon finds out somehow, I.E. Facebook connection, you can be in deep water.

The only route that's allowed from what I've been told is to discount your product for reviews. The reviewers will have to disclose that they bought your item at a discounted rate and provide an honest feedback.

Thanks as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shari

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 4, 2016
First of all, I'd find another strategy instead of giveaways. But it you must, I'd give away the product that you want to sell. Why giveaway a cheaper version? You will have reviews and photos of this cheaper product in your reviews.

You are trying to save yourself, $2.10 x 100 = $210, by starting off your business in a slightly shady way.

My strategy would be to just get the right product into FBA and sell the shit out of it. No freebie giveaways. Your product should be able to stand on its own and sell on its own.
@biophase I really appreciate all of your insight! I've seen you speak to giveaways two different ways - are you suggesting giveaways to get reviews are bad but a monthly giveaway using Amazon's giveaway platform is good to gain brand recognition? Thanks!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Hey Kenric,

I've been thinking about this for a while now and wanted to get your two cents:

If you were going to start your own brand and send into Amazon, would you just rely on pictures, copy writing and the product itself to sell?

I've read and heard the rules have changed. You can't just have a friend buy your item and leave a good rating anymore. If Amazon finds out somehow, I.E. Facebook connection, you can be in deep water.

The only route that's allowed from what I've been told is to discount your product for reviews. The reviewers will have to disclose that they bought your item at a discounted rate and provide an honest feedback.

Thanks as always!

That is exactly what I am doing right now. Made a 100% original and custom product. I have some local stores that want it. I might try and find a way to have them buy it through amazon, and then I will give it to them in person, maybe give them some cash back or something for doing it that way. Then I want to have them leave reviews for me on it.

Have not figured it out yet, but I think I will turn off having amazon do the fulfillment, and "ship" it myself. Once that is done I will turn FBA back on.

Anyone else done something like that?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase I really appreciate all of your insight! I've seen you speak to giveaways two different ways - are you suggesting giveaways to get reviews are bad but a monthly giveaway using Amazon's giveaway platform is good to gain brand recognition? Thanks!

I've never used Amazon's giveaway platform. I suggest lowering your price and just selling it at the lowered price to get sales.

You get the sales volume and when people leave reviews there are no disclaimers because they paid your full price at the time.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
That is exactly what I am doing right now. Made a 100% original and custom product. I have some local stores that want it. I might try and find a way to have them buy it through amazon, and then I will give it to them in person, maybe give them some cash back or something for doing it that way. Then I want to have them leave reviews for me on it.

Have not figured it out yet, but I think I will turn off having amazon do the fulfillment, and "ship" it myself. Once that is done I will turn FBA back on.

Anyone else done something like that?

I would have them buy it and have FBA ship it to them. Keep it clean.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Another question:

But I'm all set up to ship and sell. Why give 15% to Amazon once I get the customer to my website?

Cembo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 26, 2014
But I'm all set up to ship and sell. Why give 15% to Amazon once I get the customer to my website?
Yes I understand that, but don't you think you would get more sales so that it's worth it?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes I understand that, but don't you think you would get more sales so that it's worth it?

No, I don't think you'd get more sales. You send them to Amazon and they get all distracted and look at your competitors products and may end up buying from someone else.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
No, I don't think you'd get more sales. You send them to Amazon and they get all distracted and look at your competitors products and may end up buying from someone else.

Do you still use FBA to fulfill sales from your website?

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you still use FBA to fulfill sales from your website?

He has mentioned a few times that he has a warehouse that fulfills his orders from his own stores.

Shari

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 4, 2016
I've never used Amazon's giveaway platform. I suggest lowering your price and just selling it at the lowered price to get sales.

You get the sales volume and when people leave reviews there are no disclaimers because they paid your full price at the time.
Thank you @biophase! One more question - I'm having a heck of a time with Amazon approving my t-shirts to sell on their site. I don't have UPC codes so thought it'd be a cinch to get my own brand approved and they're being a royal pain in the butt declining me even though I clearly put my brand name into the design on the front of the shirt. Know anyone who has done shirts on Amazon? Is UPC code the only/best way to go? So many people seem to be selling with no branding on their shirts so I'm a bit baffled. Thanks!

Andyc2288

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Nov 30, 2015
Thank you @biophase! One more question - I'm having a heck of a time with Amazon approving my t-shirts to sell on their site. I don't have UPC codes so thought it'd be a cinch to get my own brand approved and they're being a royal pain in the butt declining me even though I clearly put my brand name into the design on the front of the shirt. Know anyone who has done shirts on Amazon? Is UPC code the only/best way to go? So many people seem to be selling with no branding on their shirts so I'm a bit baffled. Thanks!

I don't see why you wouldn't just use UPCs to get your product up and selling first. The codes are cheap anyways

To get approved you will need to have a website for the brand as well

Get a UPC barcode and your company logo printed on a paper like this
50x50%20Label.jpg

Print it out, tape it onto the outside of your item and apply for brand registry that way. I got approved almost instantly

Another thing for those who are just starting out, don't focus on all the small details first. Stop trying to get everything perfect. You have one goal is to make sales and have proof of concept.

Once you make sales then you go all in and worry about taxes and all the other bullsht later

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
If you're getting a UPC, make sure it's GS1 certified for Amazon. Some aren't.

I bought mine from http://www.nationwidebarcode.com/

I'm not affiliated with them btw.

Shari

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 4, 2016
I don't see why you wouldn't just use UPCs to get your product up and selling first. The codes are cheap anyways

To get approved you will need to have a website for the brand as well

Get a UPC barcode and your company logo printed on a paper like this
50x50%20Label.jpg

Print it out, tape it onto the outside of your item and apply for brand registry that way. I got approved almost instantly

Another thing for those who are just starting out, don't focus on all the small details first. Stop trying to get everything perfect. You have one goal is to make sales and have proof of concept.

Once you make sales then you go all in and worry about taxes and all the other bullsht later

Shari

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Apr 4, 2016
Thank you for the suggestion - finally got some helpful feedback from Amazon - they just want me to have an address, email address or phone # on my website. Easy enough to fix!

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
"Product Advertising API on Amazon affiliates "

What is it ?

What are the charges involved ?

What is Console AWS Amazon ?

Thank you.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
Hey Kenric,

Do you have back up suppliers for your stuff? In doing large volume, I would figure that it's a good idea in case your primary manufacturer just leaves.

Throughout the years, have you developed any steps or processes for vetting a good manufacturer?

We talked a bit at the summit this year about a bad manufacturer you've run in with and left them since. I thought my supplier was good until yesterday. A customer told me that the item she received is not holding its charge (suppose to do something once plugged in).

I thought her item was a defect and was going to send a replacement. I tested a couple of them out and non held the charges like the samples did. Was pretty bummed about that. Emailed the manufacturer and no feedback yet.

Thanks as always

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Kenric,

Do you have back up suppliers for your stuff? In doing large volume, I would figure that it's a good idea in case your primary manufacturer just leaves.

Throughout the years, have you developed any steps or processes for vetting a good manufacturer?

We talked a bit at the summit this year about a bad manufacturer you've run in with and left them since. I thought my supplier was good until yesterday. A customer told me that the item she received is not holding its charge (suppose to do something once plugged in).

I thought her item was a defect and was going to send a replacement. I tested a couple of them out and non held the charges like the samples did. Was pretty bummed about that. Emailed the manufacturer and no feedback yet.

Thanks as always

I have a few manufacturers that I'm sure can make the other's products if need be.

So are you saying that your product is not the same as the sample that was sent to you? I would compare the sample with the production product very closely and see if they are the same. What isn't holding a charge? Does it have a rechargeable battery? Does it not turn on? Check the battery type, check the circuit board.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
I have a few manufacturers that I'm sure can make the other's products if need be.

So are you saying that your product is not the same as the sample that was sent to you? I would compare the sample with the production product very closely and see if they are the same. What isn't holding a charge? Does it have a rechargeable battery? Does it not turn on? Check the battery type, check the circuit board.
The product looks the same as the sample. The product plugs in and is suppose to light up. The product is rechargeable.

When I got the sample, I tested the duration of how long it stay lit up for. Everything was good so I placed my order. I received the order and they turned on OK. It never occurred to me to test out out the entire duration.

I'm no engineer, but it's a pretty simple designed product. I emailed them about the issue and they replied saying they tested themselves and saw that the charge was being held for 4-5 hours, which is not true at all.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The product looks the same as the sample. The product plugs in and is suppose to light up. The product is rechargeable.

When I got the sample, I tested the duration of how long it stay lit up for. Everything was good so I placed my order. I received the order and they turned on OK. It never occurred to me to test out out the entire duration.

I'm no engineer, but it's a pretty simple designed product. I emailed them about the issue and they replied saying they tested themselves and saw that the charge was being held for 4-5 hours, which is not true at all.

Did you check the battery to see if they sent you the same battery? My guess is that if it's no holding a charge, the battery is bad. Take your sample, remove the battery and put it into your production one and see what happens. Do the opposite with your production battery.

BTW, a caution with products that plug in, especially if you went with a cheap factory. Is it UL certified? I personally stay away from anything that plugs in due to fire hazards. Especially rechargeable batteries.

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
@biophase I've been pushing a list of potential manufacturers to negotiate an initial sample order that is under their MOQ (mannys in this industry have MOQ 1,000-10,000).

They all have either flat-out rejected, moseyed around the question with no definite answer, or simply not answered to the request.

What is your experience in negotiating sample orders? Is there an incentive or certain value Mannys are looking for before they open this option up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase I've been pushing a list of potential manufacturers to negotiate an initial sample order that is under their MOQ (mannys in this industry have MOQ 1,000-10,000).

They all have either flat-out rejected, moseyed around the question with no definite answer, or simply not answered to the request.

What is your experience in negotiating sample orders? Is there an incentive or certain value Mannys are looking for before they open this option up?

I've found that most companies in China would like the order amount to be at least $1,000, if not $2,000. So if you have a product that is $2, they will have an MOQ of 500 units. Alot of this will depend on how hard it is for them to make whatever changes you want. If they don't want to come down, it's usually because they won't be profitable at that run or they are not an actual factory.

The MOQs will all depend on the product and how easily customizeable it is. What is the price per unit of your product?

Greyson F

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Dec 8, 2013
I've found that most companies in China would like the order amount to be at least $1,000, if not $2,000. So if you have a product that is $2, they will have an MOQ of 500 units. Alot of this will depend on how hard it is for them to make whatever changes you want. If they don't want to come down, it's usually because they won't be profitable at that run or they are not an actual factory.

The MOQs will all depend on the product and how easily customizeable it is. What is the price per unit of your product?

$6.63/unit. And that makes sense, because manufacturers require me to "link" them to a supplier of any ingredients that they don't have in-house. I've found some mannys won't even do customizations with me unless I have a business tax id.

What would you recommend? Is biting the bullet and purchasing $2,000 worth of the product reasonable for an initial market trial on Amazon? I'll have plenty to optimize the listing and drive the rankings up for sure!

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
@biophase I know there are many people on this forum that kill it with Amazon, but has the ship already sailed just like blogging, Ebay, and Craigslist businesses?

Is starting up an Amazon store still relevant anymore?

All of a sudden my friends are starting up stores.

To me, this would be the first indicator that the barrier to entry has been obliterated.

Maybe I'm missing something. But maybe this is a warning sign that most of the money to be made has been... made.

Keep crushing it and thank you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.