Having read TMF and Unscripted , one of the biggest takeaways I've had has been the producer/consumer dichotomy. I lay in bed one night after reading, and staring at the ceiling, I asked myself.
"Are you really a producer?"
Now all of you will know that MJ directed this towards money, and how going into debt is promising future production, and that if you go into debt you are spending more money than you actually have, and promising to make up for it later.
I am proud to say that I'm not in any debt, though not unscripted yet. So yes, technically I am an excess producer in money, and working on scaling this excess.
But what about the other aspects of your life? Are you in an excess or a deficit?
Let's take Instagram for an example, just because this is my personal vice as a photographer. If I go on Instagram right now, there is a seemingly endless amount of content I can consume, and I could spend all day "double tapping" away, and giving away likes.
But. What if I had a "Like" bank account? Would I be in an excess or a deficit?
Would I be able to spend as much as I am?
In this crazy world where likes were a physical currency, I would only be able to spend as much as I received. Yes, this means that if I only got 20 likes on that one selfie I posted with a generic filter and no hashtags, guess what? I can only "like" (read "consume") 20 photos. That would mean I'd get about 2 minutes of entertainment from Instagram before I would be broke. Forcing me to post another photo, to get another 20 value vouchers, allowing 2 more minutes of self absorbed feed-scrolling.
Now, what if I really put effort into my Instagram account, posted consistently, and invested time into building a following of loyal fans, and accumulated an average like count of 10000 per post? Well then. I'd be able to scroll through for the entire day, every day, not worrying about ever going broke. This would be the equivalent of having a "Fastlane" Instagram, and living in excess production.
Now, I only used Instagram as an example, but I challenge you to apply this to everything. Spend all day on facebook? Make sure you produce more than you consume. Like Youtube binges? You can only view as many videos as you have received views on your own videos. Like Netflix or Game Of Thrones? Shame. Until you've got your own show and views on Netflix, you're broke and can't get it. The Fastlane Forum? Why do you think I'm sharing this thread and my crazy mindset? I'm in a DEEP deficit on this forum, and I intend on correcting it.
Not only does this make you realize how much you ACTUALLY consume with your most valuable currency (your time. duh.), but it also shows you that time invested is not equal to the return. If you post one video on youtube, and it gets a million views, you're most likely going to be in excess for the rest of your life! Off of one video.
Sound similar to a liquidation event of a Fastlane business? Hmmm.
Thanks for staying with me through my crazy rant.
- Pete
"Are you really a producer?"
Now all of you will know that MJ directed this towards money, and how going into debt is promising future production, and that if you go into debt you are spending more money than you actually have, and promising to make up for it later.
I am proud to say that I'm not in any debt, though not unscripted yet. So yes, technically I am an excess producer in money, and working on scaling this excess.
But what about the other aspects of your life? Are you in an excess or a deficit?
Let's take Instagram for an example, just because this is my personal vice as a photographer. If I go on Instagram right now, there is a seemingly endless amount of content I can consume, and I could spend all day "double tapping" away, and giving away likes.
But. What if I had a "Like" bank account? Would I be in an excess or a deficit?
Would I be able to spend as much as I am?
In this crazy world where likes were a physical currency, I would only be able to spend as much as I received. Yes, this means that if I only got 20 likes on that one selfie I posted with a generic filter and no hashtags, guess what? I can only "like" (read "consume") 20 photos. That would mean I'd get about 2 minutes of entertainment from Instagram before I would be broke. Forcing me to post another photo, to get another 20 value vouchers, allowing 2 more minutes of self absorbed feed-scrolling.
Now, what if I really put effort into my Instagram account, posted consistently, and invested time into building a following of loyal fans, and accumulated an average like count of 10000 per post? Well then. I'd be able to scroll through for the entire day, every day, not worrying about ever going broke. This would be the equivalent of having a "Fastlane" Instagram, and living in excess production.
Now, I only used Instagram as an example, but I challenge you to apply this to everything. Spend all day on facebook? Make sure you produce more than you consume. Like Youtube binges? You can only view as many videos as you have received views on your own videos. Like Netflix or Game Of Thrones? Shame. Until you've got your own show and views on Netflix, you're broke and can't get it. The Fastlane Forum? Why do you think I'm sharing this thread and my crazy mindset? I'm in a DEEP deficit on this forum, and I intend on correcting it.
Not only does this make you realize how much you ACTUALLY consume with your most valuable currency (your time. duh.), but it also shows you that time invested is not equal to the return. If you post one video on youtube, and it gets a million views, you're most likely going to be in excess for the rest of your life! Off of one video.
Sound similar to a liquidation event of a Fastlane business? Hmmm.
Thanks for staying with me through my crazy rant.
- Pete
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
