The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are You Holding A Full-Time Job While Still Working On Your Fastlane Business?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Akira

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
May 29, 2015
Any fellow members here who are working on their Fastlane business on the side, while still working in a full time job?

How do you guys keep your momentum going and still make progress?

Are there any particular challenges when you try to go about this way? (instead of just going full-time on your fastlane business idea)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joanne Wong

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 4, 2015
Malaysia
Hello Akira.

Yes, currently I'm in this path. Keeping my day job and doing a business on the side. What i did was reading article from entrepreneurs, surround myself with same minded peoples, attend startup event, went to workshop, read book, motivation quote to keep me going. A small win in the business you are doing is a big encouragement to keep your momentum going and still make progress. Always remember that "No matter how slow the progress, IT IS still a PROGRESS"

I hope these answer your question and doubt.

queevil

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jun 7, 2015
I work full time while my wife builds our business. I help when I'm not working. It's not easy since work involves a 140 mile round trip 5 days a week. However, we do make progress. Our sales have increased every month since November. If all goes according to plan (as if it ever does), I'll be able to leave my job in September, but I may stay until December to collect a bonus which I'll use for our current business or to fund another venture.

When trying to develop a business and working full-time, I've learned that more than money or capital, TIME is my most important resource. Not only time, but learning how to manage it and make the most of it. That's what I've learned in my admittedly limited experience.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I'm a Bartender at a top-rated steakhouse. I was looking for a way to find investors, agents and any top players. Working out great so far.
Dude, you're in a great place to meet people like that! Talk to people and get to know them. You'll likely end up meeting someone who's a potential investor! I know someone who found one the same way.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Full time technology consultant here. To keep momentum going I make sure to at least accomplish one thing every day that is related to my business. That and I don't really have weekends anymore.

Challenges include managing employer expectations and juggling many things at once. Using your spare time toward the advancement of your business. Oddly enough, I've never been more distracted from my 9-5 and yet I'm being handed more and more responsibility for exhibiting "excellent work ethic." Go figure.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Unemployed/tried flipping basically. having a hard time figuring out what type of job I'd want to pursue where I wouldn't be around the normal idiots. Thinking sales, where I hope there's some competition and go-getters, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything either.

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
I do.

Tried the whole quit your job and start a full time biz thing last year and it didn't work out for me. Realized it's hard enough to start a business, but it's even harder trying to start one and live off of it from day one.

So now I work full time. It does a few things for me. It gives me working capital to invest into the biz. I'm able to put an additional $400 or so per week into it. And, more importantly, it forces me to either automate, hire, or outsource most of the work. Both of these let me grow it faster than I could if i was working on it full time.

Getting a job was ironically the best thing I've ever done for my business. Been smashing through goals and consistently growing month over month. Just had my first 5k week last night too!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Dude, you're in a great place to meet people like that! Talk to people and get to know them. You'll likely end up meeting someone who's a potential investor! I know someone who found one the same way.
Awesome! Where I am at it's most RE investors, but I'm still getting to know them.

Shaun_Pro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jun 1, 2015
Washington D.C
Absolutely! I currently teach between the day 7:30-4:30pm and when I get a break, after school, and on the weekends I work on my FastLane Non-profit. Its been great because I have a steady flow of income, but in the future I want to make my Non-profit my 9-5pm

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Be the hardest worker at your job. Even if it's scrubbing toilets. Period.

It took me way too long to realize this but the person who quits their job because their business on the side is booming is not the slacker who "hates his job" and therefore F*cks around until 5PM until he can go home and work on the biz. It's the person gets shit done, outworks everybody, maneuvers the office politics to his advantage. That attitude carries over into whatever they are working on their free time. Impossible to be a slacker 9-5, go home, flip a switch and become an entrepreneurial machine. It doesn't work like that. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Akira

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
May 29, 2015
Nice to hear from my fellow lane changers!

I'm also still holding on to my job and while honing my real world business skills (finding a need,marketing,etc)

Although that would mean putting in the real work during off-office hours, it still pays the bills and gives me at least a degree of stability.

Recommend a good book to read: "The Reluctant Entrepreneur" by Michael Masterson

It's a manifesto for those of us who are starting their business, but still want to hold on to their jobs to hedge their bets first.

I was talking to a friend over lunch yesterday, and, she said she wanted to start a business, so she can get out of the rat race.

I was nodding my head the whole time, till, she shrugged, sighed, and gave the finishing sentence "but i'm too tired after work to do anything"

Wonder if you guys/gals are facing similar issues?

NormP

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 4, 2015
Any fellow members here who are working on their Fastlane business on the side, while still working in a full time job?

Are there any particular challenges when you try to go about this way? (instead of just going full-time on your fastlane business idea)

I have a full time job. I keep my momentum going by thinking about my wife and infant daughter and what they deserve. As far as keeping my momentum going specifically towards my goals, I'm fortunate to be in a position at work where I can make progress by learning and planning while at my regular job. Then when I get home I try to implement what I've thought/planned at work during the day.

Lawrence Barse

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Mar 8, 2014
I work full time on weekdays as a Software Project Manager, the good part is I like what I do at my Job so it doesn't really feel like I'm wasting most of my time also the experience gained is really good. Having said that I know it wont give me the kind of freedom that I want. So, each day I put in 1 hour into my own venture without fail. And on weekends I put in almost 14 hours of work a day into my venture (Rest of the hours are spent for health and family). It has worked out really well for me. If you are dedicated toward building your future, you need to put in as much as you can.

Aidan

Next Year, you will wish you had started Today.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2014
Toronto, Canada
When I'm not working my day job I'm working on my business. Take all the steps necessary in order to get your first sale, from there the momentum gets fun. I'm not quite at the stage where I can quit my job, but that time may come in the next 4 months or so. Quite a lot happening with me recently so I'll have to make a huge Progress thread update sometime/eventually.

"but i'm too tired after work to do anything"

That's why you get things done before work. Sounds like she needs to read The Miracle Morning.

Last edited:

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Delegating time though I manage to give up my sleep, start early in the day as I work in the night shift for an MNC.
This routine is helped me get more things done, as the day is free.

Jean-Pierre

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 18, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Your aim is to maximise all the spare time you have to extract as much value out of your business as you can until you simply don't have anymore time.

I was getting up early before work, brought my laptop to work over lunch, and then when I got home I was up until 1 in the morning trying to get as much as i could get done. However this is not a long term strategy, as you start to burnt out, you get tired, you get cranky and your head isn't clear to make decisions. Once I'd maximise all my time, I had to make a decision whether to keep working as a suit or work on my biz full time. I chose the latter and never looked back.

Presumably your goal is to quite your full time job? If having a full time job makes you feel secure while you're starting up, then push as hard as you can to get to that point where you have to make a decision and that thing you're working on isn't just on the side but becomes your life.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I think the motivational challenge has less to do with whether you work a full time job ... as it does your overall level of comfort and enjoyment.

If you enjoy what you do ... get paid well for doing what you do ... and live a comfortable lifestyle ... finding the motivation to toil away ... month after month ... on a long-term project ... with no guarantee of compensation ... can be tough.

On the other hand ... if you do not like what you do ... and you are not being compensated well ... and your lifestyle leaves much to be desired ... then I think finding the motivation is not all that difficult.

In other words ... if you are living "the good life" in the slowlane ... it is much harder to find the motivation.

In my instance ... I enjoy litigation ... love going to court ... and I get paid well when I do.

So when forced to decide ... do I spend my time working on my Fastlane project ... or do I spend my time seeking out new divorce clients ... I tend to favor the latter.

Plus ... law is what makes my Fastlane project possible. The bills (and programmers) need to get paid.

But still ... I find time to move forward on my Fastlane project ... one step at a time.

Not as fast as I probably could ... but in the big picture ... I'm in no rush.

I'm setting aside time time to enjoy life ... and smell the roses.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Be the hardest worker at your job. Even if it's scrubbing toilets. Period.

It took me way too long to realize this but the person who quits their job because their business on the side is booming is not the slacker who "hates his job" and therefore F*cks around until 5PM until he can go home and work on the biz. It's the person gets shit done, outworks everybody, maneuvers the office politics to his advantage. That attitude carries over into whatever they are working on their free time. Impossible to be a slacker 9-5, go home, flip a switch and become an entrepreneurial machine. It doesn't work like that. How you do anything is how you do everything.

Thick Face, Black Heart?

I'm a Bartender at a top-rated steakhouse. I was looking for a way to find investors, agents and any top players. Working out great so far.

Funny, I'd think I'd enjoy that job today, right now even though I wouldn't need it -- seems like it would be really fun. :cigar:

Justin079

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 20, 2013
I think there's nothing wrong with working a full time job, while get your biz going on the side. One thing i have learnt is you can't do everything, ie: hit the gym, learn to meditate, read forums etc. Work your job, then focus on your side biz with everything you've got. Hopefully the day will come when you'll have the money and time freedom to take up your other interests.

Until then crush one thing at a time. Make it count. Good luck to us all.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Funny, I'd think I'd enjoy that job today, right now even though I wouldn't need it -- seems like it would be really fun. :cigar:
I love it. It forces you to be more interactive, read people and lets you make badass drinks.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego

I recommend watching the whole video for those with a F/T job, especially the part about Second Morning i.e. recreating your morning routine at 5PM to jump start the work on your dreams with high energy, using a habit you already have from working a day job.

here's the article http://www.malandarras.com/secondmorning

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!