The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you a starfish, or a crab in a bucket?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We're all here to throw stranded starfish back into the ocean. Starfish are welcome.

Don't be a crab in a bucket.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
For me, this thread reflects a reference to a long-time member here who recently was removed for being a consistent crab. For me, he was more like a mosquito -- small and insignificant, but a total annoyance because you know he's in the room ready to bite whenever the air is right.

In 7 years of forum activity, his contributions amounted to snark, snipe, skepticism, and besmirchment of people with track records that far exceed their contributions on this board.

Oddly enough, the mods unanimously voted him off the island permanently, while I was overruled and was hoping a temporary removal would suffice.

In reflection, I'm really not sure why he was here other than to provide edge-lord commentary.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread isn’t about any specific members, more as something we should ask ourselves every now and then.

Are we a crab in a bucket, or are we helping other starfish?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For those who don’t get the crab in the bucket part... it’s from the study that if a group of crabs are in a bucket trying to escape, then the crabs that get ahead are pulled down by the crabs still in the bucket. Apparently if there’s the smell of food outside the bucket then there’s even a type of crab that will tear to pieces the ones trying to escape.

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
For those who don’t get the crab in the bucket part... it’s from the study that if a group of crabs are in a bucket trying to escape, then the crabs that get ahead are pulled down by the crabs still in the bucket. Apparently if there’s the smell of food outside the bucket then there’s even a type of crab that will tear to pieces the ones trying to escape.
Do you remember who published this? Didn t know this one. That s interesting!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
For me, this thread reflects a reference to a long-time member here who recently was removed for being a consistent crab. For me, he was more like a mosquito -- small and insignificant, but a total annoyance because you know he's in the room ready to bite whenever the air is right.

In 7 years of forum activity, his contributions amounted to snark, snipe, skepticism, and besmirchment of people with track records that far exceed their contributions on this board.

Oddly enough, the mods unanimously voted him off the island permanently, while I was overruled and was hoping a temporary removal would suffice.

In reflection, I'm really not sure why he was here other than to provide edge-lord commentary.
lmaoooo wtf is an "edge-lord", that sounds hilarious.

edit: ok i checked, that's a hilarious term!!! LOL

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

I believe we see this happen all the time with human nature. I've seen it happen quite many times. I believe it's a crab eat crab world at times in my experience. While I'm a starfish of course, I've just learned to enjoy the ride and allow the crabs to eat one another, while go the other ways and try to shine as much as possible. I believe at a certain point, you just expect to witness this while you can also go find the one's who boost one another up in life out of the bucket and down the traveling road.

I'm listening to some one at the moment online describe what makes a successful entrepreneur. First word "Warrior Spirit" and "Competitive". While the story you've given illustrates one warrior eating the rest of the warriors to get to the top, if you don't have the fighting spirit you'll never get up off the ground.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here’s the thing about the crabs in the bucket...

The bucket doesn’t exist. Take the red (blue?) pill and you see the bucket isn’t there and you can just walk away while the other crabs all scrabble to climb the ladder out of the bucket...

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I used the “crab in a bucket” analogy to some employees at the day job last week, when describing a certain other person. It put them into a very deep state of thinking where they started to identify more crabs lol.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
The bucket doesn’t exist. Take the red (blue?) pill and you see the bucket isn’t there and you can just walk away while the other crabs all scrabble to climb the ladder out of the bucket...
Very true.

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
Here’s the thing about the crabs in the bucket...

Interesting way of viewing the bucket. I also believe that many of the crabs can be your closest friends and family.

And they aren't dragging consciously back because they want to harm you directly but more unconsciously they're afraid of what becomes of themselves when you disappear or change.

However, a true friend or good family member will throw you, the starfish, always back to the ocean.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
And they aren't dragging consciously back because they want to harm you directly but more unconsciously they're afraid of what becomes of themselves when you disappear or change.
I think many people are genuinely trying to protect you by keeping you in the bucket.

Parents, siblings, and friends are often trying to keep you from harming yourself.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

I'm curious who it is :rofl:

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure I know

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think many people are genuinely trying to protect you by keeping you in the bucket.

Parents, siblings, and friends are often trying to keep you from harming yourself.
I'll remember to give them some new beach toys for the holidays. They need to expand their horizons and visit many beaches to get a different point of view.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I hope it's not K**w who got banned.
I enjoyed reading his banter with MJ everytime.....each time, it even felt like flirting to me. It's like the relationship between Batman and Joker in a way.
You know, the kind of back-and-forth dialogue on TV shows.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I hope it's not K**w who got banned.
I enjoyed reading his banter with MJ everytime.....each time, it even felt like flirting to me. It's like the relationship between Batman and Joker in a way.
You know, the kind of back-and-forth dialogue on TV shows.

More like Mr. Myogi from the Karate kid vs. Jim Carey’s character in Dumb and Dumber.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
OMG, I'm such a freaking geek. Having studied the ocean since I was 8, my immediate reaction was - hey wait a minute, starfish are very destructive to the ecosystem - don't through them back. Throw the crabs back, they are an important part of recycling detritus. I can't stop laughing at myself.

Having read the thread, I understand and agree with the message. I'm watching this in real time where I work now and find it very entertaining. We were just acquired by large $$ firm. Having committed to the Fastlane, I know this job is just paying the bills until I'm outta there. But watching the ugliness as others position with the new owners is almost sad.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
We're all here to throw stranded starfish back into the ocean. Starfish are welcome.

Oh, I've known several crabs over the years, always trying to pull people down to their level and demonizing those who rose above.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Outwardly, perhaps. But actually they're trying to protect themselves - their biases, worldviews, etc. - and prevent the cognitive dissonance that arises when someone reaches success or fulfillment by doing something contrary.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Wait, are we talking shellfish or pubic lice? ;)

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I get the crab analogy but why do we want to be the starfish? Not the guy rescuing the starfish?

Interestingly one person came to mind immediately after I read MJ's post.. Not sure if I'm right but doesn't matter I guess, good reminder!

Other than being careful not to BECOME a crab, it's useful to keep in mind of the crabs around you as well.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I get the crab analogy but why do we want to be the starfish? Not the guy rescuing the starfish?

Interestingly one person came to mind immediately after I read MJ's post.. Not sure if I'm right but doesn't matter I guess, good reminder!

Other than being careful not to BECOME a crab, it's useful to keep in mind of the crabs around you as well.
It’s more for forum members who are trying to get out of their situation. Don’t be a crab in a bucket.

It’s also for forum members who help others. Keep helping those starfish.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.