The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Are you a starfish, or a crab in a bucket?

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We're all here to throw stranded starfish back into the ocean. Starfish are welcome.

Don't be a crab in a bucket.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
For me, this thread reflects a reference to a long-time member here who recently was removed for being a consistent crab. For me, he was more like a mosquito -- small and insignificant, but a total annoyance because you know he's in the room ready to bite whenever the air is right.

In 7 years of forum activity, his contributions amounted to snark, snipe, skepticism, and besmirchment of people with track records that far exceed their contributions on this board.

Oddly enough, the mods unanimously voted him off the island permanently, while I was overruled and was hoping a temporary removal would suffice.

In reflection, I'm really not sure why he was here other than to provide edge-lord commentary.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This thread isn’t about any specific members, more as something we should ask ourselves every now and then.

Are we a crab in a bucket, or are we helping other starfish?

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
For those who don’t get the crab in the bucket part... it’s from the study that if a group of crabs are in a bucket trying to escape, then the crabs that get ahead are pulled down by the crabs still in the bucket. Apparently if there’s the smell of food outside the bucket then there’s even a type of crab that will tear to pieces the ones trying to escape.

Mark Fobo

Contributor
Feb 19, 2019
London
For those who don’t get the crab in the bucket part... it’s from the study that if a group of crabs are in a bucket trying to escape, then the crabs that get ahead are pulled down by the crabs still in the bucket. Apparently if there’s the smell of food outside the bucket then there’s even a type of crab that will tear to pieces the ones trying to escape.
Do you remember who published this? Didn t know this one. That s interesting!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
For me, this thread reflects a reference to a long-time member here who recently was removed for being a consistent crab. For me, he was more like a mosquito -- small and insignificant, but a total annoyance because you know he's in the room ready to bite whenever the air is right.

In 7 years of forum activity, his contributions amounted to snark, snipe, skepticism, and besmirchment of people with track records that far exceed their contributions on this board.

Oddly enough, the mods unanimously voted him off the island permanently, while I was overruled and was hoping a temporary removal would suffice.

In reflection, I'm really not sure why he was here other than to provide edge-lord commentary.
lmaoooo wtf is an "edge-lord", that sounds hilarious.

edit: ok i checked, that's a hilarious term!!! LOL

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
I believe we see this happen all the time with human nature. I've seen it happen quite many times. I believe it's a crab eat crab world at times in my experience. While I'm a starfish of course, I've just learned to enjoy the ride and allow the crabs to eat one another, while go the other ways and try to shine as much as possible. I believe at a certain point, you just expect to witness this while you can also go find the one's who boost one another up in life out of the bucket and down the traveling road.

I'm listening to some one at the moment online describe what makes a successful entrepreneur. First word "Warrior Spirit" and "Competitive". While the story you've given illustrates one warrior eating the rest of the warriors to get to the top, if you don't have the fighting spirit you'll never get up off the ground.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Here’s the thing about the crabs in the bucket...

The bucket doesn’t exist. Take the red (blue?) pill and you see the bucket isn’t there and you can just walk away while the other crabs all scrabble to climb the ladder out of the bucket...

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I used the “crab in a bucket” analogy to some employees at the day job last week, when describing a certain other person. It put them into a very deep state of thinking where they started to identify more crabs lol.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
The bucket doesn’t exist. Take the red (blue?) pill and you see the bucket isn’t there and you can just walk away while the other crabs all scrabble to climb the ladder out of the bucket...
Very true.

Anakalypsi

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 2, 2019
Here’s the thing about the crabs in the bucket...

Interesting way of viewing the bucket. I also believe that many of the crabs can be your closest friends and family.

And they aren't dragging consciously back because they want to harm you directly but more unconsciously they're afraid of what becomes of themselves when you disappear or change.

However, a true friend or good family member will throw you, the starfish, always back to the ocean.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
And they aren't dragging consciously back because they want to harm you directly but more unconsciously they're afraid of what becomes of themselves when you disappear or change.
I think many people are genuinely trying to protect you by keeping you in the bucket.

Parents, siblings, and friends are often trying to keep you from harming yourself.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh

I'm curious who it is :rofl:

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty sure I know

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands
I think many people are genuinely trying to protect you by keeping you in the bucket.

Parents, siblings, and friends are often trying to keep you from harming yourself.
I'll remember to give them some new beach toys for the holidays. They need to expand their horizons and visit many beaches to get a different point of view.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2014
Netherlands

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I hope it's not K**w who got banned.
I enjoyed reading his banter with MJ everytime.....each time, it even felt like flirting to me. It's like the relationship between Batman and Joker in a way.
You know, the kind of back-and-forth dialogue on TV shows.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I hope it's not K**w who got banned.
I enjoyed reading his banter with MJ everytime.....each time, it even felt like flirting to me. It's like the relationship between Batman and Joker in a way.
You know, the kind of back-and-forth dialogue on TV shows.
More like Mr. Myogi from the Karate kid vs. Jim Carey’s character in Dumb and Dumber.

Ernman

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
OMG, I'm such a freaking geek. Having studied the ocean since I was 8, my immediate reaction was - hey wait a minute, starfish are very destructive to the ecosystem - don't through them back. Throw the crabs back, they are an important part of recycling detritus. I can't stop laughing at myself.

Having read the thread, I understand and agree with the message. I'm watching this in real time where I work now and find it very entertaining. We were just acquired by large $$ firm. Having committed to the Fastlane, I know this job is just paying the bills until I'm outta there. But watching the ugliness as others position with the new owners is almost sad.

LuckyPup

Done Dicking Around
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Outwardly, perhaps. But actually they're trying to protect themselves - their biases, worldviews, etc. - and prevent the cognitive dissonance that arises when someone reaches success or fulfillment by doing something contrary.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
I get the crab analogy but why do we want to be the starfish? Not the guy rescuing the starfish?

Interestingly one person came to mind immediately after I read MJ's post.. Not sure if I'm right but doesn't matter I guess, good reminder!

Other than being careful not to BECOME a crab, it's useful to keep in mind of the crabs around you as well.

OP
OP
Andy Black

Andy Black

Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I get the crab analogy but why do we want to be the starfish? Not the guy rescuing the starfish?

Interestingly one person came to mind immediately after I read MJ's post.. Not sure if I'm right but doesn't matter I guess, good reminder!

Other than being careful not to BECOME a crab, it's useful to keep in mind of the crabs around you as well.
It’s more for forum members who are trying to get out of their situation. Don’t be a crab in a bucket.

It’s also for forum members who help others. Keep helping those starfish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom