The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are programming interviews draining entrepreneurial spirit?

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
Can you imagine preparing for months or even years for an interview?

This is the current reality many software devs are finding themselves in as they prepare for algorithmic coding interviews. It started with just the top tier tech companies but now most others are following this practice.

Regardless of whether or not this is a good system, I can't help but think about how this is likely impacting innovation.

Knowing how to solve these contrived coding problems is more valued than actually having built real products. Therefore people are spending more time learning how to prepare for an interview than in building actual skills.

This is great for anyone on the unscripted path as it means less competition for us but I'm curious if anyone else has made this observation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

This is the current reality many software devs are finding themselves in as they prepare for algorithmic coding interviews. It started with just the top tier tech companies but now most others are following this practice.

Regardless of whether or not this is a good system, I can't help but think about how this is likely impacting innovation.

Knowing how to solve these contrived coding problems is more valued than actually having built real products. Therefore people are spending more time learning how to prepare for an interview than in building actual skills.

This is great for anyone on the unscripted path as it means less competition for us but I'm curious if anyone else has made this observation.
I`m gonna press X to doubt on this observation.
Maybe you can share some examples and company names?

D

Deleted50669

This is usually only the case when the supply of overqualified candidates far outweighs the demand (i.e., entry-level engineering roles at large tech companies, where one role might have 300 candidates that meet the baseline requirements). At the senior level that nonsense generally goes away, since the knowledge is assumed by your experience. But yea, if you have no experience, you better know your shit.

Zealander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 20, 2020
European union
I think this is a bit hyperbole, sure if you want to get into google or such caliber company which has hundreds of applications per position then you might need to grind on the algorithms. However it is usually not years if you have your computer science fundamentals in order.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
My current role is at a no-name company which had over 300 applicants.
I have a CS degree and a decent GPA but it was the nearly 500 algorithm questions I've done over the last few years which helped me get through the multiple rounds of coding challenges.

I also got offers from places with 0 algorithm questions and they paid 40% less.

So I'll have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!