The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

O/T: HEALTH Anyone using the Wim Hof Meditation Method?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows from Dreams
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 14, 2013
The Underground
Can someone explain or link to an explanation of how his breathing is intended to be performed throughout the day? The only video's I've watched show his deep breathing techniques leading up to an event, such as pushups.

I tested his technique for pushups against a control state and did more pushups in one minute than I've ever done in my life. To do this we started one week apart. Same time each day. Same place in the kitchen. One round normal breathing and a week later with Wim Hof method.

Normal breathing brought me to my average range of around 75 pushups. With Wim Hof method I was around 5 over.

I see the advantages in some arenas, but I'm not sure I understand how it's meant to work throughout the day. Is the technique the same or does it differ?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
FYI all of his courses are currently 50% off.

sparechange

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Haven't tried it but heard about this guy. Was going to do the polar bear swim in Van but was to lazy to train to downtown.

Ended up taking a freezing cold shower for 5 minutes though giving myself pre hypothermia and was focusing on my breathing. Interesting body experience.

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I see his courses are 50% off. But I've heard he is not very clear in his explanations (he can be all over the place, as I've noticed in some interviews) and there is not much more to learn except the breathing and the showers. So I decided not to get the course from his website. I did start his 30 day course on Insight Timer. It's not really a meditation, and also not guided breathing. It's just him explaining the science behind the method and talking all over the place. I'm not sure if this is useful. But I do stick to the structure of the course, which includes increasing the cold showers with 5 seconds each day, and adding 1 round of breathing every week.

I use the Wim Hof app when I do my breathing, which offers guided sessions. This is great, because it measures your times and saves them in the app. You can check out the guided breathing on youtube also. It indicates when to pause the video, in case you want to hold your breath for a longer period. This is a great way to learn how to do the breathing I think.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybOi4hjZFQ

I see the advantages in some arenas, but I'm not sure I understand how it's meant to work throughout the day. Is the technique the same or does it differ?
I think you do it once (or twice) a day and you are set for the rest of the day. At least that's how I'm doing this now. Breathing + shower in the morning, and sometimes also a few rounds of breathing in the evening.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Can someone explain or link to an explanation of how his breathing is intended to be performed throughout the day?
The course I have, focuses on one or two sessions per day.

As always, get into a relaxed position, I personally like a reclined position somewhere between sitting and lying.

The breathing technique does not change, as far as I'm aware. So take 30-40 hyperventilated breaths and hold breath for as long as possible on the last one.

When you can't hold any more, take deep breath in (or out, depending on how you've held), and hold for another 10-15 seconds. Do as many rounds of these as you can.

You can then take this further by showering afterwards with cold bursts, or get into a cold bath for between 30-120 seconds.

To be honest, I've only done this once. I usually just stick to the breathing, however when I combined it with the cold bath (120 seconds), my whole body was tingling, and I couldn't stop smiling. My girlfriend came back into the house and was like; "wow! what happened to you? You look so energised!"

Science bit -

I read an abstract of the paper that came about from the independent experiments done on the test subjects, and it appears that holding your breath for 2 minutes or more, triggers the release of epinephrine, and your immune system goes into overdrive.

What wasn't clear was if that 2 minutes needs to be all at once. My guess was that it didn't, but helped if it was.

Ben Taylor

Contributor
Dec 7, 2015
Which of the courses do you guys recommend? I'm willing to buy one, especially if it's on sale, but I can't tell if the fundamentals course covers additional material or entirely different stuff.

Edit: I just googled it and I think I'm going to go with the fundamentals course as opposed to the original 10 week course.

Last edited:

MHP368

Machine Learning Behavioral Driven Lead Gen
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Tranquil wisdom insight meditation reporting in.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Jan 27, 2014
US
I have a client who suffered from debilitating back pain, severe ADD, financial loss teetering on bankruptcy, and was about thirty pounds overweight.

He did 20hr intermittent fasting plus breathing from Wim Hof for two months. He lost all the weight plus another five pounds, his back pain is almost gone, and he’s on track to make 300k this year after landing four entirely new clients in that two month period.
from almost bankruptcy to 300k in two months? that's impressive. what kind of service is he providing?

sorry to digress from the main topic but could't resist: it shows the power of this method

Last edited:

Matt Sun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
This clearly can't be true.
Actually, science demostrated that the number of calories you take in your life is fixed, (eating less calories in meals equals longer life span)
so i wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to breaths

"
Future applications
Overall, the results from multiple studies show that both reduced calories intake (CR) and the ratio between macronutrients, namely the protein to carbohydrates ratio, positively impact lifespan. In particular, it seems that dietary restriction of proteins or other individual nutrients (DR), with respects to carbohydrates, produces an effect on longevity independent on that of CR.
"

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Primeperiwinkle

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Nov 30, 2018
from almost bankruptcy to 300k in two months? that's impressive. what kind of service is he providing?

sorry to digress from the main topic but could't resist: it shows the power of this method
He’s actually in construction but, for whatever reason, during the fasting/breathing period he got a contract to build several things for the government. He had crews before he went bankrupt and applied for a contract.. and it finally came in.

The thing is I watched this guy go through absolute hell with his life.. diving into cheating on his wife and doing hard drugs to deal with the stress. When he finally started intermittent fasting it was just after rock bottom. Things starting turning around pretty rapidly after that.

He still has issues.. don’t get me wrong.. but he’s much healthier.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jun 3, 2015
Actually, science demostrated that the number of calories you take in your life is fixed, (eating less calories in meals equals longer life span)
so i wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to breaths

"
Future applications
Overall, the results from multiple studies show that both reduced calories intake (CR) and the ratio between macronutrients, namely the protein to carbohydrates ratio, positively impact lifespan. In particular, it seems that dietary restriction of proteins or other individual nutrients (DR), with respects to carbohydrates, produces an effect on longevity independent on that of CR.
"
You are saying two things. You first implied that there was a predetermined amount of breaths that a person takes, and then they die.

This of course cannot be true, because our breathing rate changes during exercise, stress, sex, etc.

Reduced calorific intake, and in fact reduction of breaking down complex proteins has indeed shown to be beneficial. However the amount of calories you can take over the course of a lifetime is not fixed, because again, this would depend on various lifestyle and medical factors.

1milclub

Bronze Contributor
Jan 27, 2014
US
When he finally started intermittent fasting it was just after rock bottom. Things starting turning around pretty rapidly after that.
That's a great turnaround story, you are lucky to be part of that. Thanks for sharing. I posted a TEDx talk something similar on another thread, that thread is also somewhat a similar story.

sonny_1080

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2019
I've found that body scanning first thing in the morning in complete silence has always benefitted me the most. Otherwise I get identified with my imagination.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 4, 2015
Perth
I see his courses are 50% off. But I've heard he is not very clear in his explanations (he can be all over the place, as I've noticed in some interviews) and there is not much more to learn except the breathing and the showers. So I decided not to get the course from his website. I did start his 30 day course on Insight Timer. It's not really a meditation, and also not guided breathing. It's just him explaining the science behind the method and talking all over the place. I'm not sure if this is useful. But I do stick to the structure of the course, which includes increasing the cold showers with 5 seconds each day, and adding 1 round of breathing every week.

I use the Wim Hof app when I do my breathing, which offers guided sessions. This is great, because it measures your times and saves them in the app. You can check out the guided breathing on youtube also. It indicates when to pause the video, in case you want to hold your breath for a longer period. This is a great way to learn how to do the breathing I think.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tybOi4hjZFQ

I think you do it once (or twice) a day and you are set for the rest of the day. At least that's how I'm doing this now. Breathing + shower in the morning, and sometimes also a few rounds of breathing in the evening.
I started using this as a total beginner after starting on hs free mini course. His guided breathing exercise you linked to is so good for getting started.

I've NEVER been able to get my head around normal meditation. This has such a great level of intensity that seems to click with me. Loving this so far.

Watched this doc by Yes Theory last night which was actually a lot better than the well known Vice one.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Amazing book! Actually I bought it, before I joined the forum and it motivated me to join...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I have zero coding skills whatsoever. Are coding skills needed? Will the be learned in the...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock