The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone here own an RV and live and/or travel in it frequently?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So I recently went on an RV roadtrip last month and outside of the "active shooter" incident, it was a pretty interesting trip.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I like it or not. Part of me does, another part of me doesn't. I can't quite finger my thoughts.

I enjoyed getting out into nature and experiencing this subculture, even the driving aspect wasn't too bad -- but I'm hesitant about an RV being a huge maintenance and money suck. There's an old saying my friend used to say, boats make you broke ... (I guess they cost a lot to fix) ... are RV's the same?

As for what I'd buy, I'd definitely would go with a Class-A as I hate towing and hitching shit. The Class-C's are too small.

The thought that one of these huge Class-A's could be snagged for less than a Lamborghini SV has my interest.

On a side note, this could be a great option to accelerate your Fastlane -- instead of living in an expensive apartment or a house, you could hunker down in an RV park, save money, and grind your business away. If I was 22 and single again, it would be a consideration.

BTW, there's an RV show today at Cards Stadium, I'm going down there to take a look.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
My inlaws had a class A for quite a few years. Stuff was always breaking so they traded it in on a trailer. Stuff on it is also always breaking. They live in it in AZ or CA over the winter for 3 or 4 months. Close quarters. I would rather AirBnB. RV park life is just one step above mobile home park life as far as I can tell. And not much cheaper than hotel considering lot rent & depreciation & maintenance.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
My father in law had a class A. He is fairly wealthy. Here are some things about it that made him get rid of it eventually:

Tires cost a ton - I think $250 each, times a bunch.
Diesel was $800 to fill it
Thing got 6 MPG
It takes forever to stock it, and then clean it once you get home
He stored it at his business' parking lot (sold it when he sold his business)
It got broken into while parked at the business

I do think he enjoyed having it for the first bunch of years he owned it.

NorthernDuke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 12, 2020
Missoula, MT
I've been living out of an a-frame pop up trailer, Forest River since April due to my current job. Unfortunately, the brand isn't known for high quality products, and it shows. The roof leaks, but it is overdue for a replacement on the seals. The wiring is a mess. The screw holding an end to one of the trims on the front has already pulled loose, etc. This trailer was made in 2017.
The RV industry is dealing with an insane demand right now, and unfortunately they chose to rush production as a result. I've seen reports of suffering quality. Do your research into each brand, and look for reviews. Like boats, these liabilities can be cash cows for the companies that maintain them.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I know several people that live in them most of the year while traveling the country for racing. I always say that I could not do it. Back when we used to travel 5-6 days a week racing I would always stay in hotels or drive back home if it was within 5 hours.

I have some friends that sold their house and 2 rent houses and bought a motorhome. The first weekend they were here they broke their jack board (or something like that). I thought he was messing with me so I said, "Yeah, I hate it when I break my jack board. The last time I almost pulled a muscle.". He never caught on to the joke so apparently that is some part that goes with it. Anyway, since then they have had a few things break.

I like a REAL bed and a REAL toilet and I don't want to take a shower while sitting on the toilet...... although...... never mind, not for this conversation :inpain:

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Tires cost a ton - I think $250 each, times a bunch.
Diesel was $800 to fill it
Thing got 6 MPG
It takes forever to stock it, and then clean it once you get home
He stored it at his business' parking lot (sold it when he sold his business)
It got broken into while parked at the business

Great info. Stuff like this always scares me and ruins ownership for me. I was also thinking the same thing insofar as costs -- seems awfully expensive between the gas and the RV park fees. I've been to a half-dozen RV parks and it's kind of an interesting subculture, there are million-dollar rigs next to 25K travel trailers and an interesting mix of socioeconomic classes.

I once had a Corvette that was always breaking, never bought one again.

The "freedom" of having an RV is intriguing ... but there is no freedom when your entire "things to do" list involves maintaining the unit while also blowing wads of cash on it.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@MJ DeMarco

I have a 39 ft diesel. It is older but setup very well. A lot of solar capacity, lithium batteries, large inverter. I can camp easily and comfortably without hookups.

It also has a washer/dryer inside.

I use it to go 4 wheeling. I also camp on the beach 4-5 times a year. Absolutely love it.

Yes it costs money. But it gives me freedom that I need and crave.
2019-05-21 07.22.00.jpg20191007_114815.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@MJ DeMarco

I have a 39 ft diesel. It is older but setup very well. A lot of solar capacity, lithium batteries, large inverter. I can camp easily and comfortably without hookups.

It also has a washer/dryer inside.

I use it to go 4 wheeling. I also camp on the beach 4-5 times a year. Absolutely love it.

Yes it costs money. But it gives me freedom that I need and crave.
View attachment 34887View attachment 34889

I love this setup! Cool rig man. This is something I am very interested in right now. Land yachting!

I like the "off the grid" setups more than the trailer park setup. I am looking at the lighter trailers that I can tow off road and run off of a generator or some solar. I would love to go very far down the Padre Island National Seashore on the weekends. I don't want to get stuck 5 miles away from the nearest truck.

We also have access to 160 acres a few hours from here that would make for some peaceful camping too.

The whole, being able to decompress thing has me intrigued. I'd like to take it to the mountains too. It would be nice if it didn't half my truck's gas mileage.

I also have seen some of the stuff @Runum has posted on facebook and he makes it look like fun.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Hate to chime in cause i don’t own an RV. But I did think of this YouTube video I watched a long time ago on a channel I subscribe to.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IP_u2JR51_Y
I have owned 3 motorhomes and a travel trailer over the past 30 years. Have enjoyed each one.

There are things that you need to watch out for like making sure you have a solid chassis and an appropriate sized motor. Transmissions are frequently a weak link but that can be overcome as well.

Yes they are high maintenance. I used to do all my own work because I am highly mechanically inclined. But these days I don't feel that need. I have a shop that I trust and just expect that there will be costs.

I have an Allison transmission, Caterpillar motor, and Freightliner chassis. The chassis is a large part of the overall build. Freightliner has incredible customer service, even on a 17 year old machine. Allison and Cat have great reputations as well. Make sure that you have a transmission temperature gauge in the dash.

This guy makes it sound much worse than it is. Of course, you get what you pay for. If you purchase a cheaply built machine, you will likely have more problems.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I love this setup! Cool rig man. This is something I am very interested in right now. Land yachting!

I like the "off the grid" setups more than the trailer park setup. I am looking at the lighter trailers that I can tow off road and run off of a generator or some solar. I would love to go very far down the Padre Island National Seashore on the weekends. I don't want to get stuck 5 miles away from the nearest truck.

We also have access to 160 acres a few hours from here that would make for some peaceful camping too.

The whole, being able to decompress thing has me intrigued. I'd like to take it to the mountains too. It would be nice if it didn't half my truck's gas mileage.

I also have seen some of the stuff @Runum has posted on facebook and he makes it look like fun.
Look up Northwood Manufacturing. They build quality trailers. Good solar, batteries, and inverter are amazing and important. I could run the tv, microwave and all the lights at night on my motorhome and the trailer that I recently sold.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@SteveO what do you think about a class C with a Chevy van chassis? I have had good luck with Chevy trucks. I am mechanically inclined as well. I haven't talked to a mechanic in probably 5 years.

If I don't go trailer, I am thinking C with the express van front.

I think the Suburban 4x4 with a trailer is probably more beach capable though.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have an Allison transmission, Caterpillar motor, and Freightliner chassis.

Great info, that is what I was assuming in that Freighliner is a big rig chassis designed to go thousands of miles. Cummings engine any good?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Great info, that is what I was assuming in that Freighliner is a big rig chassis designed to go thousands of miles. Cummings engine any good?
Cummins is as good or better. Great motor. Freightliner builds the big rig truck chassis also.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
@SteveO what do you think about a class C with a Chevy van chassis? I have had good luck with Chevy trucks. I am mechanically inclined as well. I haven't talked to a mechanic in probably 5 years.

If I don't go trailer, I am thinking C with the express van front.

I think the Suburban 4x4 with a trailer is probably more beach capable though.
Nothing really wrong with class c. Just for fun, compare the front end steering knuckles and brakes between the class a and c. That will give you a comparison on the "beef" between the two.

Last edited:

CanadianTrucker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jan 22, 2020
Canada
I can chime in on the northwood manufacturing for being well built. where i'm from most people have some type of unit for camping. I did a lot of research before buying ours.

We bought our 2005 27 foot arctic fox (northwood) fifth wheel in 2014 for $14500. Before buying it we looked at brand new entry level fifth wheels that were 26k. The craftsmanship was terrible, the wood frames in the compartments were cracked from them not pre drilling for screws. the walls inside would flex more that 3 inches if you pushed on them as there was no support behind them. The shelves were very then, looked like if you filled it with canned goods they would fall through. The salesman said they are all like that.

Anyway long story short that new one was a Cherokee brand. Our arctic fox has cost us less than $400 dollars in maint and repairs the past 6 years. I put a water pump in it some new bolts for awning and some sealant for around the trim on the outside. We have friends that bought a brand new cherokee brand and have had nothing but problems with it since they bought it.

I know it sounds like your looking more at motor homes, i think the same will apply when it comes to research and doing your homework. Having an RV has been an enjoyable experience for us.

PS if you buy a diesel pusher it would be beneficial to get one that is pre emissions, this will help greatly with reliability of the engine.

Hope this helps Jordan

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My inlaws had a class A for quite a few years. Stuff was always breaking so they traded it in on a trailer. Stuff on it is also always breaking. They live in it in AZ or CA over the winter for 3 or 4 months. Close quarters. I would rather AirBnB. RV park life is just one step above mobile home park life as far as I can tell. And not much cheaper than hotel considering lot rent & depreciation & maintenance.
Depends on what you are going for. I pay 65 per night to camp at the beach in San Diego. Next to the water and across the street from shops and restaurants. I only stay at rv parks on occasion. The ones I stay at are nothing like mobile home parks. Perhaps if you are going for least expensive...

There are lots of different options for the rv life. I once took a three week trip up the west coast camping at beaches, pine forests, etc. along the way. Horseback riding and quads in pismo beach, clam chowder in Oregon, orcas in Washington. Ferry ride to Victoria. It was awesome and inexpensive.

NorthernDuke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 12, 2020
Missoula, MT
I know this has already been answered, but I wanted to give a bit of insight into it as well. I know from your books that you don't really hold the big three (chevy, dodge, ford) in high regards, and nowadays that opinion may hold merit. But back in the 1990's, Dodge made the decision to put a tractor engine into their trucks: a Cummins 12 valve V8. These trucks have had amazing performance (the engines are rated at 1 million miles with average maintenance) and any Dodge Cummins truck from that era is hard to find and highly valuable. Needless to say, I love Cummins.

CanadianTrucker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jan 22, 2020
Canada
I know this has already been answered, but I wanted to give a bit of insight into it as well. I know from your books that you don't really hold the big three (chevy, dodge, ford) in high regards, and nowadays that opinion may hold merit. But back in the 1990's, Dodge made the decision to put a tractor engine into their trucks: a Cummins 12 valve V8. These trucks have had amazing performance (the engines are rated at 1 million miles with average maintenance) and any Dodge Cummins truck from that era is hard to find and highly valuable. Needless to say, I love Cummins.

The 5.9L 12 valve cummins is an in-line 6, similar to large heavy truck engines. Even the new dodges with 6.7L are inline 6.

The power stroke and duramax diesels are v8 though.

CanadianTrucker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jan 22, 2020
Canada
Woops! Thanks for the correction.

No problem! You are right though those old cummins are crazy reliable. The 5.9L 24 valve was also very reliable and they put them in dodge trucks until around 2006. There should be quite a few RVs with that power plant too

G

Guest1413tpa

I own a 1991 F-350 converted ambulance with my partner.

It has its quirks to say the least but its fun to get out in nature and not sleep in a tent.

I would never buy a regular RV though. Just not my life style.

Our future vehicle is an overland vehicle, 4x4 Truck with a camper on the back, or something similar. High tech off the grid.

Nature is one of the last true freedoms in my eyes.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
don't really hold the big three (chevy, dodge, ford) in high regards,

Ha, well not necessarily ... I've owned 2 Dodge Vipers and currently own an F-150 Raptor. The F150s seems to be pretty durable, although my Raptor is a bit finicky.

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
I grew up rving with my family. When I was in middle school, my folks bought a 40’ class A. They took my 3 younger brothers and I all over the place: Disney, South Carolina beaches, Rushmore, Yellowstone, New England, you name it. We had a blast.

That was almost 20 years ago, and they still have the same rig! Yes, things occasionally break and need attention; but like most things: if you take care of it, it will take care of you. They don’t do much distance travelling anymore since my brothers and I are older. We now mostly use it for tailgating (a whole other adventure, although who knows when that will happen again!).

My folks are approaching retirement, and I think they’ll probably trade up when they start using it more. Their current setup is gas engine on a Ford chassis. They are definitely going diesel for the next one.

I would keep an eye on eBay for deals. My grandparents also had a pretty nice class A a few years back. My grandmother passed and grandfather didn’t want to hold on to it. My uncle was dead set on having a dealer buy it for pennies on the dollar. I begged them to let me try and sell it myself and try to get more for it…. I forget the exact numbers, but it was something like- Retail: $80k, Dealer offer: $35k. I had it sold on eBay to the nicest couple for $60k within a week. Given that a lot of RV owners are older, I think similar scenarios probably happen a lot. The sellers get more than a dealer is going to give them, and the buyers save some good cash too. Being able to speak directly to the owners is good too… They’ll typically know all the quirks. Also, as others have pointed out, inventory is VERY low right now. CWH has been one of my biggest winners since the March lows ;)

Last thing I’ll mention is that, in my experience, RVers are a very friendly bunch. There were times we needed a fuse, o-ring, etc. If the camp store didn’t have one, a neighbor was always willing to help, and we always did the same for others. These were pre-social media days (maybe AIM?) but I wish I would have had it to stay in touch with some of the people I met.

I haven't RV'd for over a decade, but now I want to hit the road for a month!

NorthernDuke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 12, 2020
Missoula, MT
I'm sorry for the repeated posts, this is the last one I promise. I forgot to suggest that those in the RV market leave the mainstream products and research a bit. You'd be amazed by what you find. For example, I have this baby in my sights:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=nnoPoNOJ2_A&feature=emb_logo

Interior plumbing so pipes won't freeze in the winter. Completely sealed exterior shell (no silicone or leaks!) There are many brands out there that actually produce high quality products.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
The RV's are all about the looks. However, the wood frame is thin and it is all stapled together. The whole thing flexes and the staples work loose.

I know it sounds hokie but I did convert my cargo trailer because it has a better frame and studs. All screwed together. My little 6x12 weighs about 3300 lbs loaded. We have hauled it from Mexico to Canada and planning on Alaska May 2021(we are open to caravaning if others want to join) The cargo trailer is low budget and low maintenance. The maintenance is mainly on the tow vehicle. Not luxury but comfy. We can stay off grid for about a week or we can hook up to full RV hook ups. We have pulled it with a GMC Sierra HD 2500 but it has gotten a lot of miles on it now. Recently got a Colorado z71 and it pulls it OK and we like it, but it doesn't handle the trailer like the Sierra does. We haven't done PINS with this one yet but we did several days on Crystal Beach at water's edge. We did have a national gym membership for showers and that was real convenient, but that is not predictable right now.

We enjoy both being by ourselves and most state/RV parks. We absolutely do not like crowds at all and really don't like doing the state/RV park thing on the weekends.

The bigger the rig the heavier, less gas mileage, more things to break, more difficult to drive, and more difficult to find a spot. The smaller the rig the less space you have and less conveniences. The whole thing is a compromise, depends on what is important to you.

I do agree, most RV people I have met will gladly help another RV'er out of a tough spot.

Good luck with your decision. Be careful at the RV show. The RV's all look so purty.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

This thing is extremely cool, but you could get the diesel pusher a few years old for this kind of money and it would still last longer...

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

This thing is extremely cool, but you could get the diesel pusher a few years old for this kind of money and it would still last longer...
Yep, those class B's are up there. Van life is the thing right now and this fits right in.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm currently converting a Renault master medium wheel base high top. Doing it with my dad, has been great fun to work on a project with him as we've been distant for a few years.

There a YouTube channel called Eamon and Bec, that converted a merc sprinter into a nice little van that they would mostly stealth camp in to save money while traveling around Canada and the states growing their chai tea biz. They perfectly blended vanlife adventure and travel with small biz entrepreneurship.

My takeaways so far for anyone considering it to save overheads while having some cool freedom: definitely doable but not as cheap or easy as it seems. BUT, it's definitely working for some and worth looking into. If you have a euro van, have a good amount of safety net cash for repairs.

Winter is easier than summer. Diesel heaters from China are a few hundred and work great! But no matter how well you insulate and ventilate, summer may be a bit of a bitch haha.

It's reeeeeeally fricking interesting though. I'm gonna start off with some small trips and maybe one day in the future look at traveling Australia in it, if I'm able to go back to fully online work again.

Be warned though, vanlife is definitely not as easy as the influencers cleaning up from it make out! But if you can hack it, I see some big advantages. I think if you are doing it with no cash reserves, more out of what you think is necessity, it's gonna be a shit time. But if you have reserves and want to try it, you can have some fun and possibly save a HELL of a lot of cash to use on a biz.

I'm going to learn how to build my own lithium batteries actually, with CALB cells from China.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.