The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anyone familiar with FIVERR.COM and/or ODESK.COM??

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
I have a website I want to create, however I cannot afford to hire someone and just recently learned about Fiverr.com and Odesk.com as an alternative than learning to create one myself. I heard it was legit, but that was only from two different sources. Can anyone give me some insight on these sites? Anyone used them or experienced them? All / Any info would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
they are both legit, odesk will probably be more helpful for you creating a website

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I am a Fiverr seller, offering several different services, such as article/blog post ghostwriting.

I've gotten some cool logos, fun videos, etc off of Fiverr, but I don't think I'd get a website from them. Odesk is a better place for that kind of thing.

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Was thinking of getting logo help from fiverr, was curious if "you get what you pay for" considering its $5...odesk looking like the better option for website

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, there are a lot of different places you can get websites from. It all depends whether you are looking for something simple that could be done with Wordpress or if you require coding and specific features. There are plenty of good themes out there for wordpress if you have a browse or you can check out Themeforest. You might be able to find cheap web design on some other forums if you browse around.

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Im looking to make a site where the people visiting the site can communicate with each other, I am still trying to figure out if a forum is a better option. Thank you for your input! :)

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
There are a lot of people on this forum, including myself, that do Wordpress websites. If you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, you can likely find someone to walk you through the steps.

Fiverr logos can be "hit or miss". The best bet is to find someone that comes recommended. I've seen some threads on here that have mentioned some good logo gigs on Fiverr. But, even if you pay $5 and you hate it, you only spent $5.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I think the logos on fiverr are a great bargain, just look at some past work, thats one aspect of a website you could certainly use fiverr for. Even if it takes a few tries to get the right onw you wont spend a lot. If you search around and look at some past work the individual has done I bet you can get a great logo for $5

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
I have a website I want to create, however I cannot afford to hire someone and just recently learned about Fiverr.com and Odesk.com as an alternative than learning to create one myself. I heard it was legit, but that was only from two different sources. Can anyone give me some insight on these sites? Anyone used them or experienced them? All / Any info would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

They are both "legit" but not suited for same purpose, as others have noted here. I've only used Odesk and like it because Odesk workers have their desktops screen-captured while they are putting billable hours into your project, so you can verify that they aren't goofing off too much. The desktop app includes a virtual whip that you can use to whip into shape any worker who is slacking --- but it's alright because they're usually foreigners. :rofl:

Anyway, I have to say I'm kind of confused by the bigger picture here, though. You want to create a website but you do not want to learn how to create one yourself? I could understand not needing to learn how to create a website if the business is not really about the internet, but it seems like the entire idea of the business is based on a website? So the idea is to build a web-based business without having to learn about how websites are constructed?

It also seems you're not really sure of how the site is going to operate or what sort of functionality it'd provide, let alone how it'd make money? (maybe you already have figured it out, and just aren't revealing too much here? understood) So right now you can't afford to hire anyone, and so you're looking into hiring someone thru Odesk or Fiverr to create this for you? It's a little puzzling...

I mention this because whatever type of outsourcing you do, if it's about development, it is super-important to know exactly what functionality you want and how it's supposed to work (even if you don't care about implementation details). And you need to be able to communicate with total clarity. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time and money going in circles like "Oh no, that's not what I wanted!" "Well, that's what you asked for." "It is? That's not what I meant." "Well, what did you really want exactly?" "I'm not sure, how should it work?" "You tell me." "I don't know." :bgh:

MsTesa0130

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 7, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Yes it is true that I am not reveling much on here but I do have it figured out and know what I want. Only think I am unsure of is forum or website. The difference between hiring someone on Odesk and hiring someone locally is a big difference in $$. Odesk I could spend a couple hundred (which I can afford) rather than a thousand or more (Which i cannot afford). I was looking into desiging it myself and heard about Odesk which is another option, in short I am researching both and have not decided yet. Thank you.

ramblindawg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 29, 2013
Burbank, USA
I have used oDesk for the past couple of years, hiring people to transcribe everything from simple email dictation all the way up to transcribing to full-length training courses that I've created. I've also hired help for removing a virus from my Wordpress sites, and fixing the CSS and html on a sales page that I was having trouble with.

oDesk is a great option when I find myself wasting time trying to handle a tedious task that I could otherwise get someone else to do, leaving me more time and energy to spend on what I do best.

The rates can be very affordable if you carefully search for and review job candidates. I have hired workers from the Phillipines, Kenya, India, Bosnia and many other places…but I know I can trust them by checking out their ratings and reputation. I recommend starting off by creating some simple low-priced jobs as try-outs to find contractors that you're comfortable with.

The oDesk interface is pretty clean and easy to use…and their internal system for collecting and making payments is top-notch and works as well as eBay or Amazon. Good luck!

frieden70

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Nov 24, 2012
Odesk is legit but you have to know what you're doing.

Depending on the complexity of your site, I wouldn't even consider hiring anyone that has less than 100 hours logged on odesk.

There's just a ton of crappy people on there.

When I first sorting through developers to build an app for me, we weeded through easily 95% of the applicants that were grossly unqualified.

If you're sure about what you're looking for, I would actually consider digging through odeskers by keywords and finding people that you'd like to connect with rather than the other way around.

Could be more time consuming but it generally gives you better quality applicants.

And then do the obvious, interview them, ask for previous work, see how much that they actually did on each project and make your decision that way.

As for hosting, I'm a fan of bluehost but I really haven't had any bad experiences with any host. I'm not particularly a fan of hostgator but some people seem to like it.

Hope that helps.

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
I've had good experiences with oDesk, it is worth a shot.

Depending on your hosting needs you can use Host Gator, or if you just need something simple my wife and I host WordPress blogs on our own Host Gator account for $25/year. You can see a sample of some of the different sites we host here.

Any other questions just ask!

jacob

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Nov 21, 2011
I believe that Fiverr.com and Odesk.com are both legit. In my opinion tasks that are done on Fiverr start at $5 and more likely logo design, graphic design, writing, online marketing, video and animation programming and etc. Odesk is a much better place to look for someone to work for you. However, staying focus only in one place make you miss a great opportunity of hiring skills and talents. You must expand your search, which gives you better chances of finding and hiring the right person for the job. Try other freelancing sites like Elance.com, Staff.com and Freelancer.com or even social media sites and job boards.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.