The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Any RE investors in the UK? I need some advice...

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Hey FLF!

@Andy Black suggested that I post here after a chat we had.

Basically, I own a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom townhouse in the UK and it's fully paid up (no mortgage). I'm thinking about releasing some equity to fund an investment property (or 2) but I have no idea how to do it or where to invest.

I'm not sure about the tax status either since I no longer live in the UK and there's the looming threat of Brexit to factor in too.

Does anyone have any tips, suggestions or can you point me in the right direction? I am a noob at this but I'm not a afraid to get my hands dirty.

Thanks.

Sanj.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Hey Sanj,

I may be able to help you out since I helped setup a distressed asset property company in London.

The main thing it comes down to is how much do you want to invest? From that point I can give you an idea of where to look. If this is something you'd rather talk about in private feel free to message me.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Hey Sanj,

I may be able to help you out since I helped setup a distressed asset property company in London.

The main thing it comes down to is how much do you want to invest? From that point I can give you an idea of where to look. If this is something you'd rather talk about in private feel free to message me.

Thanks buddy. I've sent you a PM.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm. I’m out of the loop too as I’ve lived in Ireland for the past 15 years or so.

Here’s what I’d do:

Figure out what an average young couple’s combined salary might be.

What would two teachers earn? Two nurses? Etc

Let’s say 30k each? (I’ve no idea!!)

What mortgage can a young couple afford when the combined income is 60k ?

What deposit do they need?

Add those together and that’s the max they can pay for a two bed terraced house.

What would their monthly mortgage payment be?

Now go onto RightMove.co.uk and look for two bed terraced properties for sale for that price and under.

Where in the country are they?

If lots turn up in, say, Liverpool then work out the areas that keep appearing, and look for rental prices of the same two bed terraces.

Work out what an investor would pay for the property too. If they put down 20%, then what would their mortgage be? What would their interest payments be?

What would an amateur landlord pay? (Someone who doesn’t account for letting agent fees, void months, wear and tear, even income tax!)

Could there be bidding wars between house buyers and amateur landlords? What could the prices be driven up to?

If you can buy below that value, and the rent covers the mortgage (plus extra for all those things I listed)... then you might buy somewhere that prices can rise higher “naturally”, without you doing any additional work (like buying cheaper due to distressed sellers, or fixing them up and adding value that way).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.